Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town: Saturday 20th April 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• JamesSeed said:
    Leaburn returning fit and staying with us for a full season next year will be key IMO.

Think we are in serious need of midfield improvements. Dobson will be gone, and Anderson is still a work in progress and can’t be counted on for a full promotion season.

And the city of Coventry used to be the biggest load of shit called Coventry I had ever seen. Until Conor’s turd of a performance today.

And let’s not kid ourselves that all our CBs are worth keeping. It was calamity central in the first half - so major changes needed at CB.

I would focus on 2 x CBs (both starting standard), 3 x CMs and a proper alternative to Leaburn that won’t be injured non stop.

EDIT - oh and a keeper that can catch a cross would be nice as well 
    Why can I see most of our summer dealings being paid for by Leaburn leaving pretty quickly to the Premier League/Championship? 
    Because of Miles’ injuries I don’t think anyone will buy him until he’s proved his fitness. Hopefully. 
    Got to hope he comes back the same player he was if we're pinning our hopes on him 
  • se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    The general standard of football is absolutely abysmal at the moment, both from us and our opposition so often. 

We absolutely need to get out of this division next season, I’m not sure we can sustain even our currently paltry crowds when this is what’s being served up. 

I’m looking forward to going to Wycombe next week mainly because it will get this season over and done with - not sure I’ve felt that way before. 
    Welcome to League One,  yep you're welcome to it!
    We’ve been in League One more often than not over the last decade, but in terms of quality of football (both from us & opposition) this season has been the lowest of the low. 
    Agreed, the weakest L1 for several seasons, which really shows up how bad we've been.
  • Leuth said:
    Terrible game. Only positives I can take are that I hopefully never have to sit through another performance from Hector, Edun or Isted.  As likeable as Thomas is, hopefully he moves on too and takes Gillesphy with him although that is unlikely.

This squad have taken us to our worst season in 98 years and that isn't because of luck or even particularly about management. They are just very very poor quality.

Andy Scott has to take a large amount of the blame but having said he would hold his hands up if there was failure he has I stead gone into hiding.
    What was wrong with Hector today? He did one foul in a dangerous area and was otherwise more or less flawless? The disrespect never ends, does it 
    He should have done better for the goal for starters. 
  • Only surprise was their 18 Bloxham when substituted failing to fall over holding his leg in apparent agony when jogging to the touchline…
  • Was I imagining it or did we play the first 20 mins with  no right sided wing back? Saw the line up that Small was playing right side and edun left but both were on left hand side and no one at all on right until after we conceded. Was this a bizarre deliberate tactic or complete lack of understanding?

First half didn't feel like many were desperately playing for a job with us next year and to be honest out of the players who started first half other than May, Dobson, Anderson and Small I wouldn't be overly bothered if the rest were cleared out this summer. (Would also keep Wickham as a battering ram Aneke type ans think Coventry will bed in over summer and show what his reputation is about next season).

Much better second half against a hoofball Shrewsbury and obviously Jones had put a rocket up them at half time. Aneke and Kanu did well and Ramsey is our starting number 2 on the right next season surely.

Busiest I've seen the covered End concourse this season and hopefully will see more of that next year.

Glad season is all but done and hopefully keep the no loss record next week and build a squad ASAP over the summer ready to give it a proper go from August next season.

We played 442 diamond in the first half, with Thomas at right back. Incidentally I still can't work out his strongest foot, as he played better last season in a 4 as a left back.

Thanks I hadn't clocked Thomas was right back and thought he was one of 3 CBs.
  • He was out on the pitch, some forty or so minutes before K.O. About to make his Charlton debut. Not a youngster, but seasoned professional, ex England International. Saw the three spotty young teenage lads, already enthusiastically at the Valley. Smiles, strolls across, has a chat. 1969. Team accompanying had some “locals”. The No.11 (first ever substitute in English Football, 1965) was a schoolmate of my sister at senior school. Happy days. Genuine players. The seasoned professional keen to put in a good show in the “evening of his”, and the eager young aspirant… Somewhere still here, from that era, a programme vs. “F.C. Den Bosch”, signed by the great Bill Nicholson, there to “scout”. Real football, fun stuff, even though in “Division Two”. Now reflect on this afternoon / season….. 98 years, and truly feeding off the bottom of the pond.

Eh? 
  • Was I imagining it or did we play the first 20 mins with  no right sided wing back? Saw the line up that Small was playing right side and edun left but both were on left hand side and no one at all on right until after we conceded. Was this a bizarre deliberate tactic or complete lack of understanding?

First half didn't feel like many were desperately playing for a job with us next year and to be honest out of the players who started first half other than May, Dobson, Anderson and Small I wouldn't be overly bothered if the rest were cleared out this summer. (Would also keep Wickham as a battering ram Aneke type ans think Coventry will bed in over summer and show what his reputation is about next season).

Much better second half against a hoofball Shrewsbury and obviously Jones had put a rocket up them at half time. Aneke and Kanu did well and Ramsey is our starting number 2 on the right next season surely.

Busiest I've seen the covered End concourse this season and hopefully will see more of that next year.

Glad season is all but done and hopefully keep the no loss record next week and build a squad ASAP over the summer ready to give it a proper go from August next season.

We played 442 diamond in the first half, with Thomas at right back. Incidentally I still can't work out his strongest foot, as he played better last season in a 4 as a left back.

We switched to a back 3/5 in the second half when Ramsey came on, with Thomas as the right CB.

The first half showed he's no RB...
  • se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    The general standard of football is absolutely abysmal at the moment, both from us and our opposition so often. 

We absolutely need to get out of this division next season, I’m not sure we can sustain even our currently paltry crowds when this is what’s being served up. 

I’m looking forward to going to Wycombe next week mainly because it will get this season over and done with - not sure I’ve felt that way before. 
    Welcome to League One,  yep you're welcome to it!
    We’ve been in League One more often than not over the last decade, but in terms of quality of football (both from us & opposition) this season has been the lowest of the low. 
    Agreed, the weakest L1 for several seasons, which really shows up how bad we've been.
    Yep coming (at best…) 16th in this particular League One season is absolutely shocking. 
  • Sponsored links:

We switched to a back 3/5 in the second half when Ramsey came on, with Thomas as the right CB.

We switched earlier than half time - Edun went over to play right wing back in the first half.
  • We switched to a back 3 straight after conceding. Tayo went to RWB
  • Off_it said:
    Was I imagining it or did we play the first 20 mins with  no right sided wing back? Saw the line up that Small was playing right side and edun left but both were on left hand side and no one at all on right until after we conceded. Was this a bizarre deliberate tactic or complete lack of understanding?

We switched earlier than half time - Edun went over to play right wing back in the first half.
    Yep, straight after they scored...
  • edited April 20
    Coventry was awful, can't believe some are giving him 6/10 in player marks
    He's been on a honeymoon period in the player marks for a while.
  • Utter rubbish football match - we were so poor - no shape, no desire, no conviction, no intent - the amount of poor passes by so called professional footballers was a disgrace 

Total rebuild required over summer 90% of those on show today can do one 

Beers before and after were good fun though 
  • Meal in the Valley Cafe was good. Nephew bought the away shirt for £15, also good. Err...Dobbo's goal was terrific. I'll pass on the rest of the game. Oh, somehow the covered end choir managed to bellow out some noise but what was the mini demo about? 
  • Chunes said:
    Yep, I think people have bought into the hype and wanted him to be amazing so much that they’ve convinced themselves he is. Based on what we’ve actually seen of him in a Charlton shirt it really hasn’t been incredibly impressive. His role in that awful goal we conceded last weekend comes to mind particularly. 

I’m hoping that next season, with a team likely largely built around him we see something else.
  • Off_it said:
    Was I imagining it or did we play the first 20 mins with  no right sided wing back? Saw the line up that Small was playing right side and edun left but both were on left hand side and no one at all on right until after we conceded. Was this a bizarre deliberate tactic or complete lack of understanding?

I hadn't twigged that, I had assumed that he had just shifted to the right of the diamond!

Subbing him at HT was slightly unfair, as it implied he was the weak link in our midfield in the first half, when he was probably slightly better than Coventry and Anderson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Today’s match told us all we knew already. NJ has made us a difficult side to beat, but the compromise to that is we are just not busy enough in front of goal. Am sure that will be worked on in pre-season.

We will miss Dobbo, book ending our home games season with goals while giving us his all is what we have come to expect of him. I hope he comes back to coach or manage us in many years to come. I feel like a family member is leaving home.

The defence needs major surgery. We know it, NJ knows it and I think we are going to get it. 

To have not lost a game in 14 matches is the highlight of the season, regardless of draws. We need to will the ball in the net for Alfie next Saturday to ensure he scoops the golden boot. Wanted him to stay on today, just for that reason. 

Roll on Wycombe…

• edited April 20
    se9addick said:
    Chunes said:
    Yep, I think people have bought into the hype and wanted him to be amazing so much that they’ve convinced themselves he is. Based on what we’ve actually seen of him in a Charlton shirt it really hasn’t been incredibly impressive. His role in that awful goal we conceded last weekend comes to mind particularly. 

I’m hoping that next season, with a team likely largely built around him we see something else.
    The saddest conclusion I have drawn is that unlike Dobbo, Coventry is not a player who gives 100% every game. 
  • Had some of my Scottish family down so they decided to come along and watch some proper football before they go and watch that 2 Bob Liverpool play Fulham tomorrow.

Even they left before the final whistle 🤣
  • Awful first half from Jones and the players 

Better second half until the pitch invasion and the game went flat after that 
  • edited April 20
    Well that was our season epitomised in a single game.

Well done Dobbo, fingers crossed till we have confirmation he is going. 

Was in the pub pre match defending Thomas for next season as back up, but he was poor and that's doing down poor, he can go along with Hector who seems only to play hoof ball.

Anderson had a good first half but poor second and should have done better with his chance.

Thank god this season is over!
  • Shrewsbury missed two absolute sitters too, don't forget. Much easier chances than the one Anderson missed - and he definitely should've done better too.
  • edited April 20
    Took a mate who ‘hates football’, and has only ever been to one match before, about twenty years ago. 
    His favourite bit today was fans standing up to shout abuse at the players, and the pitch invasion. 
  • Off_it said:
    Shrewsbury missed two absolute sitters too, don't forget. Much easier chances than the one Anderson missed - and he definitely should've done better too.
    The flag was up for offside for the second one, so wouldn't have counted. Regardless it was an awful miss, as was the one in the first half.
  • edited April 20
    Off_it said:
    Shrewsbury missed two absolute sitters too, don't forget. Much easier chances than the one Anderson missed - and he definitely should've done better too.
    The flag was up for offside for the second one, so wouldn't have counted. Regardless it was an awful miss, as was the one in the first half.
    Do you sit in the East Stand?

Only a bloke behind me said that to his mate, but I thought the linesman was signalling for a goal kick , not offside.