Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town: Saturday 20th April 2024 | KO 15:00

123457»

Comments

• Options
    With luck we might be 9th this time next year.
  • Options
    edited April 21
    OK maybe Jones has saved us from relegation, other than that his management and tactics have been poor, why some of you think it will be better next season I do not know
    This is the most ridiculous post on CL for some considerable time.
    I'm willing to have a bet with you that we finish in a higher league position next season, (at any amount you choose).
  • Options
    OK maybe Jones has saved us from relegation, other than that his management and tactics have been poor, why some of you think it will be better next season I do not know
    Yeah! You know apart from taking a club with the longest winless run in the EFL this season and turning it in to a 14 game unbeaten run saving us comfortably from the drop with a group of players that have been dire all season. What has he done? 

Clearly there is going to be a mass change in personal this summer, he’s said as much. It will be better 
    you don't win anything with a succession of draws, just don't get relegated, who is financing this mass change in personal the new owners haven't spent anything yet.
    Have you considered who is funding the £9M pa loss?
    I was referring to the zero spend on players
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Hmm. It seems that at the very moment Curbs was going on about the value of loans of players from higher level clubs, NJ was telling Cawley that , in terms, he doesn’t like loans, he wants players who have signed up for the Project. On Twitter, most of the comments seemed right behind NJ on that. 

I’m not so sure. Curbs was citing Cullen, Bielik, Gallagher, JRS, and he could have added Maatsen to that list. Seems to me that nowadays a loan player with a good professional attitude is no different to a permanent signing over a season. The best example of that is surely Cullen vs. Taylor, both with us for two seasons…

But NJ is a Believer himself, he’s made that clear, and it may be something he brings into his management style. I guess that was a contributor to his success at Luton. 

One to watch…
    The problem is that for every Josh Cullen we have five terrible loan signings. The reason that you can cite, by name, the handful that have done well over the last several years is because a successful loan spell seems rare. 

I think we should only use loans to augment the squad, not as a key part of our recruitment strategy. 
    Is it that rare? Or is what’s rare, the state of the Charlton they joined? Most people didnt rate Maatsen but he joined a shitshow and look at him now. The others? They were not just good, they were stellar! Without Cullen and Bielik we would not have gone up. Without JRS, a relegation scrap. And don’t get me started again on what happened with Gallagher. Curbs argues that when we are in good shape as a club, the big boys are happy to lend us some of their best upcoming players, especially London clubs. Of course if we can recruit all the right players on perms, thats probably better, but that will be a big ask.
    I was at the game up north (Rochdale?) when Mavididi went from our penalty area to theirs but couldn’t quite finish the move off with a goal. He was very raw, but you could see his potential. Then there was Jay Dasilva and of course Conor Gallagher. And Cullen and Bielik. There was also Liam Miller who was quite good. 
    Apart from them, what have loanees ever done for us?
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    That was a stream of dismal shit punctuated with a couple of moments 
    Dobbo outshone everyone 
    NJs starting lineup was muddled nonsense
    Small and Ramsay show promise 
    Anderson shows commitment 
    DK is much less raw than he was a year ago
    the rest looked like they’d been dragged in off Floyd Road at 2:55

That is an insult to anyone walking down floyd road who has ever kicked a football
  • Options
    edited April 22
    Yeah! You know apart from taking a club with the longest winless run in the EFL this season and turning it in to a 14 game unbeaten run saving us comfortably from the drop with a group of players that have been dire all season. What has he done? 

Clearly there is going to be a mass change in personal this summer, he’s said as much. It will be better 
    you don't win anything with a succession of draws, just don't get relegated, who is financing this mass change in personal the new owners haven't spent anything yet.
    Have you considered who is funding the £9M pa loss?
    I was referring to the zero spend on players
    I presume you mean no money paid out on transfer fees, which there has been of course, but incoming fees have more than offset them it's been reported 

One fee for JCH agreed between the clubs might have changed that had it been paid, but it wasn't because his wage demands were exorbitant and he didn't want to come IIRC, unless you think that was all smoke and mirrors put out to deceive us.

There are amoeba on Saturn who can see that the plan for this season has failed  abysmally, and yet you express surprise that 'some' on here think it will change going into next season and are expecting a summer of personnel changes, financed by owners who do have means and are already in place. 

I get that they haven't proven their worth or earned our trust based on what's been achieved so far, but their end game can't be to have us treading water in L1 can it, and they can't be asset strippers because we don't have any to sell worth the money it's costing them to run the Club.

Everything is pointing towards changes for the better.
  • Options
    I think Jones seems to understand the issues and the question is whether he will be backed to address them. I'm sure he would have had assurances around this when he took the job so I am optimistic.
  • Options
    Remarkable how we have gone unbeaten for so long, obviously a lot of draws and will be our worse finish in almost 100 years so not all is well in SE7.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    swordfish - I admire your positivity
  • Options
    It irritates me that Millwall's loans have been brilliant for them whereas ours have been pretty dire. I was hopeful that Camara would shine but he disappeared after injury. Ladapo was a big letdown but I suppose he will end up scoring against us next year.
  • Options
    OK @se9addick , you make a compelling case with that list, although blimey, Maatsen, that’s the same Ian Maatsen who started for Borussia Dortmund yesterday against Leverkusen, which maybe, just maybe demonstrates that he was a much better player than some on here realised, and he played a lot of games for us in a pretty dire season on and off the pitch, in too many different positions. 

If NJ is just saying that the priority will be permanents, but loans are not ruled out if they add quality - and have a great attitude, which is true of most of your own success list, I’m OK with that. 

But we have to open our eyes and understand that the FAPL clubs have been allowed to stockpile  a huge stock of young talent which is in danger of being left to rot. I think it would be a pity if we turn our back on that talent pool in a dogmatic way. Hopefully NJ does not mean to suggest that.
  • Options
    OK @se9addick , you make a compelling case with that list, although blimey, Maatsen, that’s the same Ian Maatsen who started for Borussia Dortmund yesterday against Leverkusen, which maybe, just maybe demonstrates that he was a much better player than some on here realised, and he played a lot of games for us in a pretty dire season on and off the pitch, in too many different positions. 

If NJ is just saying that the priority will be permanents, but loans are not ruled out if they add quality - and have a great attitude, which is true of most of your own success list, I’m OK with that. 

But we have to open our eyes and understand that the FAPL clubs have been allowed to stockpile  a huge stock of young talent which is in danger of being left to rot. I think it would be a pity if we turn our back on that talent pool in a dogmatic way. Hopefully NJ does not mean to suggest that.
    I think at least some of our previous dealings with young FAPL loans from very big clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd and City have highlighted that very often this huge stockpile of of young talent isn’t anywhere as good as it’s cracked up to be. These PL clubs see a young kid at an EFL club and as long as he strings five passes together they are prepared to take a money punt on them. It’s obscene that they have so much money to squander and it’s killing the game. It mostly ends up retarding the development of the youngsters and as you say many are left to rot. I’m very happy that Jones has stated that his priority are permanent signings and has effectively ruled out loans of players that there is little known about. Loans only if it clearly improves the squad. 
  • Options
    I thought the general consensus was that Maatsen did alright for us, the season after relegation in matches when we had a back four of Gunther, Inniss, Famewo and Maatsen (with Amos in goal), it looked pretty impregnable. As ever, injuries and suspensions got in the way, but it was a lot better than the various iterations we've seen this year.

I tend to agree that we've had some good loans (Cullen, Gallagher etc) but too often it feels like they just grab anybody to boost the squad numbers. 
  • Options
    Players are already on holiday. 

Very bored now of watching shit performances from these dick heads. 

Roll on the Summer. 

• Options
    Had a chat with my parents earlier, who are on holiday in Spain at the moment, so apparently ended up watching the game on my Dad's phone. Dad was distinctly unimpressed, and to add insult to injury he'd not made it back from his half-time loo break when Dobbo scored. He was also convinced that the one from Shrewsbury that hit the woodwork had gone in, and having seen the highlights I'm amazed that it somehow stayed out.