Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town: Saturday 20th April 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    We need the churn of a concrete mixer in the summer with this lot, shocking performance.
  • Options
    What on earth was NJ thinking subbing Conor Wickham and Alfie for Chucks and Kanu.

The dynamics of the game changed. 

Chucks offers very little, can only last 30 minutes and he does very little in the minutes he is on the pitch.
  • Options
    Well that was terrible. Still not the worst home game this month though. 
    Dobson  best player by a mile. Ref terrible, east stand lino easily the worst lino all season (in a competitive setup)

• Options
    That was a stream of dismal shit punctuated with a couple of moments 
    Dobbo outshone everyone 
    NJs starting lineup was muddled nonsense
    Small and Ramsay show promise 
    Anderson shows commitment 
    DK is much less raw than he was a year ago
    the rest looked like they’d been dragged in off Floyd Road at 2:55

• Options
    Listening to NJ saying I wish I'd been here before certain things happened makes me think Dobbo is gone. And certainly nothing he has said gives me hope he is not.

Whoever was stupid enough to think Dobson wasn't worth a new contract should be shown the door.

Good luck George. You can be assured of a warm welcome if you ever come back to the valley.

He was offered a SHIT new contract - he chose not to sign it.

• Options
    I can forget that I have seen Edun all season and Jones only recently so I suppose it is fair he has a look at him but I imagine he has worked out what is clear after yesterday. It does feel like a few others are on their way. Will we see an evolution in the summer or a Powell type revolution in terms of the squad? Or something in between. It will be interesting to find out but looking back on Powell, the work on rebuilding the squad started quickly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redskin said:

To say that the standard of football is the worst that has ever been played at the The Valley is histrionic delusion.

Yes, the Charlton Life charity matches were poor.
  • Options
    edited April 21
    Redskin said:
    We've avoided the relegation that was predicted by many before the arrival of NJ.

We are 14 games undefeated.

To say that the standard of football is the worst that has ever been played at the The Valley is histrionic delusion.

Overall, the last few games have been as poor as they have been meaningless.

Demands of a complete overhaul of the squad are deluded as is the insistence/demand that reaching the playoffs is the minimum requirement of next season.
    Prepare yourselves for another season of third division football fare. See below.

There will be some signings of players with the ability to play at the level of a third division team.

If all this seems unpalatable and unacceptable to you, you have the right to never watch Charlton again. It does not, of course, deny you the right to bitch and moan about it all.

I can only assume you don't actually go to games and as for play offs not being the minimum requirement, well I imagine the owners chucking £10M a year at nothing, don't agree. 
  • Options
    edited April 21
  • Options
    I wonder if any of the big nob bullshitters apparently not in charge and not running the gaff, were still quaffing in the boardroom when Dobson equalised.
  • Options
    Awful game. It shows today what a difficult job the manager will have in the summer. At least  6 of today’s starting line up shouldn’t be there next season. Get players that care and will get stuck in. Omg the keeper  what a bad player he is. Too many injured players in our squad get rid. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 21
    Redskin said:

Yes, the Charlton Life charity matches were poor.
    I blame the managers 😉.
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    We've avoided the relegation that was predicted by many before the arrival of NJ.

We are 14 games undefeated.

Overall, the last few games have been as poor as they have been meaningless.

Demands of a complete overhaul of the squad are deluded as is the insistence/demand that reaching the playoffs is the minimum requirement of next season.
    Prepare yourselves for another season of third division football fare. See below.

There will be some signings of players with the ability to play at the level of a third division team.

If all this seems unpalatable and unacceptable to you, you have the right to never watch Charlton again. It does not, of course, deny you the right to bitch and moan about it all.
    Andy Scott himself said that the play offs were the minimum requirement THIS season. I wonder if he’ll ever come out and admit he ballsed up, apologise and resign. If not for the Dobbo fiasco alone he should be sacked.
    Not defending Scott here because it’s obvious that the players that have been identified and signed are in the main not what you’d hope for but he does need to work within an overall budget determined by others. I’m personally working on the theory that after the Appleton debacle something changed because I’d expect Jones to be on probably the same as Holden and Appleton combined, if not more. I don’t see Jones signing up without some cast iron assurances on budgets and transfer control. Quite where Scott fits into this going forward is yet to be seen because I’m guessing that Jones has a list of players names that he wants. I don’t think he’ll go for picking someone from a list provided by Scott. We should be a lot clearer on our direction of travel by August if not before. 
  • Options
    edited April 21
    During the week I bumped into an old mate who is involved with Maidstone United. He mentioned we had enquired about their goalkeeper who had played a pivotal role during their recent FA cup run. My mate seemed a bit peeved at the thought of losing him.
    Personally, whilst Isted and AMB have been disappointing, I had hoped we would be looking up the football pyramid rather than down for a replacement keeper.
    Is this a case of beggars can’t be choosers?

• Options
    …..and suspect he won’t get.
  • Options
    Says it all that, despite having left in January, CBT is still our 2nd top scorer. 

Shame Dobson is going because NJ has definitely helped him up his game by allowing him to make forward runs off the ball. Just shows that if you get the right sort of fitness and drive, a midfielder can do plenty of both attacking & defending....not just one or the other. More managers need to take the shackles off their midfielders and allow them to make runs....the games would be a much better watch and no doubt more enjoyable to play in. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    …..and suspect he won’t get.
    That’s the spirit
  • Options
    That first 45 mins was the ultimate squares pegs in round holes with Thomas (garbage) at RCB and Edun (garbage) at RWB. I don't blame Jones as he's come in to make a silk purse out of a sows ear and has ultimately achieved the objective by keeping us up. My concern next season is even in the event of wholesale changes there will still be too much dross in the squad and around the starting 11. Isted, Gillesphey, Coventry, Anderson and others I've neglected to mention have all proved they aren't good enough for a promotion chasing side
  • Options
    Think the major issue in the summer will be how easily can we move some of these players on? 

It's been the sticking point in most of our rebuilds of previous years. Stuck trying to sell our deadwood and unable to buy until they're gone. 
    But how many we want to move on are still in contract? McGrandles, Fraser and one of Isted/AMB. No others I don't think. 
    Add Edun and Watson to that list, neither are good enough. Not sure what's happened to L.Jones does N.Jones not rate him? Not convinced by Gillesphey and REG can't even get in the side ahead of the woeful Thomas so maybe Jones don't rate him either?
    REG injured? Think he was better than the rest when Ive seen him but that is damning with praise 
  • Options
    Lucky to get a point, half the team were asleep or just given up on the season and/or hopes of a new contract .. lovely (very rare) goal from Captain Dobbo, perhaps a farewell gift to the fans ? .. I only hope n pray that some compromise can be reached whereby he can be persuaded to stay