Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    FootballLeagueWorld I wouldn't trust as a reliable source , it's usually completely random lists that someone probably signed on Football Manager. 
  • Options
    edited May 5
    I’d happily take BSW but if he’s going to be the benchmark or even worse the marquee signing then we’re going nowhere. I don’t see the sense or practicality of Rodwells comment that we’ll be signing from the leagues above but the creamy part of our transfer business needs to be in that vein. 
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Where do Football League World get their info from? They have posted speculative possible players (naturally i've never heard of most of them), including a Goalie who, if I remember rightly, got the beans from the Covered End.

Are they "reputable" (SIC!) journo's or just some spotty youth in his bedroom with fantasy football league expertise (bit like Thomas Driesen without Belgian backup)
    It’s an article based on the writers opinion.

Tomorrow’s fish and chips wrappings 
  • Options
    Wiredu signed 👍🏼
    Source?

Won’t name who but saw an ex player earlier who said Wiredu was at the training ground today
    Thanks but not quite the same as "signed".

Not that I wouldn't be happy to have him but WIOTOS
    Yeah appreciate the scepticism but sounded nailed on to me, let’s see!
    Appreciate the info, keep it coming.

Can see BSW as a Jones type player.
    Just a reminder that he dropped the Sarpong and has expressed annoyance about people using it. Least we can do is call him the name he wants 
  • Options
    If you read the Fleetwood fans’ comments you’ll see he is key to them.  I expect he only signed a contract to guarantee them a decent fee this summer.  

He’s definitely worth a look as we want to improve our mobility and physical presence.

BUT I don’t think he was particularly happy woth the club when he left so Nathan might need to massage his ego a bit.
  • Options
    I’d happily take BSW but if he’s going to be the benchmark or even worse the marquee signing then we’re going nowhere. I don’t see the sense or practicality of Rodwells comment that we’ll be signing from the leagues above but the creamy part of our transfer business needs to be in that vein. 
    Let’s be honest, how many times have you watched BSW in the last couple of years to form a valid opinion on him? Nobody on this forum can honestly say they watch Fleetwood regularly surely? Just looking at their league position and forming an uneducated opinion. 
    Don't be daft, everyone on here has a Fleetwood supporting mate who gives them the lowdown on their matches week in & week out 😄.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And just what is a "Nathan Jones" type player ?   

• Options

Physicality comes to mind immediately. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    If we signed piergianni I think he would end up like Lavelle/inniss for us. Looks okay in a team playing no football because he’s dominant in the air but don’t think he is good enough for a promotion team.
    Just finished outside the play-offs as captain of a side who most people had down for relegation. The best defender statistically in the league, and overall best player in the league. He was the best defender statistically last season in league 2 and 2nd highest rated overrall just behind Owen Moxon, who will now be a championship player next season. 

I think it's genuinely unfair to compare him to the likes of Lavelle and Innis as they couldn't get anywhere near that level of performance or consistency. Sam Lavelle can't even stand out for Carlisle unless for negative reasons, and Innis just got relegated from League 2. 

He'd walk into this team, be the best defender, and make us a better team immediately. 

Only type of lists you'd find Innis or Lavelle on these tweets for would be most bookings on own goals, honking players 
    He’d be better than Lavelle/Inniss obviously but I still think we need a better footballer and one that we think can step up to the championship. I don’t think Piergianni is the answer at his age 

He dominates the defensive statistics because he plays in a team that does a lot of defending and want the ball in the air as much as possible. He isn’t the best defender in the league (he wouldn’t get near Pompey’s team) just like Tennai Watson isn’t the best right back in the league. 

It all depends what kind of team Jones wants to build, if we are just going to brexit ball it like we were this season then he might fit. Personally I think that was just Jones doing what was necessary to get results and stay up, next season I think we will play much more football so we need players that can do that and do the defensive side 

Look at the style of football that most of the top 6 sides played this season, none of them would sign Piergianni so I think that says to me it wouldn’t be a good idea. He will go to Rotherham if he leaves Stevanage because they will play a similar way under Evans 
    But he is the best defender in the league. The stats back it up, the only defender who you could probably argue otherwise (Cashin) has finished just behind him. Tennai Watson, again, like Lavelle and Innis, isn't a good measure. Tennai is the only player in the whoscored tots who doesn't belong, so 1 in 11 is inaccurate and it's probably down to a lack of players in that position/his game time allowed his stats to be higher. If it was based on players who had played 40+ 90 minute games, he wouldn't be anywhere near that list.

a defender does his job and that's an issue? Genuinely don't understand the logic. If you put any of our centre backs in that Stevenage team instead of him, they'd all look like horse shit, and Stevenage would have finished at least a few players lower. Of course I understand that a player that gets more chances to defend, can boost his stats, but that player still has to defend and none of ours really can. It's like discrediting a player who scores lots but scores tap ins and pens, they still had to score it and not everyone can do it consistently.

Just because a top6 side this season didn't have a player, doesn't mean they would pass up the opportunity next season.  There will be plenty of players who will be outside the play-offs and be capable of playing in a top6 side. We have proof of that with previous players we have signed.

I'd love a centre back who is comfortable on the ball, scores headers, and looks flashy, but we are a league 1 side, it isn't realistic.

Edit: I also think Shaughnessy and Moore have been really good this season, just not as good as the two mentioned 
    So how come all the other teams at the top can sign them? Piergianni is better than our centre backs this season, I’m not arguing with that. But he wouldn’t get picked by any of the top 6 teams which is what we are aiming to be, and to do that you need centre backs that can defend and also play 

I know our recruitment has been terrible but we shouldn’t be accepting mediocrity. It is easily realistic to sign a CB that can do it all at this level. Pompey signed Poole and Shaughnessy in the same summer so it’s definitely realistic 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Wiredu signed 👍🏼
    Source?

Won’t name who but saw an ex player earlier who said Wiredu was at the training ground today
    Thanks but not quite the same as "signed".

Not that I wouldn't be happy to have him but WIOTOS
    Yeah appreciate the scepticism but sounded nailed on to me, let’s see!
    Appreciate the info, keep it coming.

Can see BSW as a Jones type player.
    Just a reminder that he dropped the Sarpong and has expressed annoyance about people using it. Least we can do is call him the name he wants 
    It’s only a reminder if you knew in the first place. I didn’t. 
  • Options
    Let’s be honest, how many times have you watched BSW in the last couple of years to form a valid opinion on him? Nobody on this forum can honestly say they watch Fleetwood regularly surely? Just looking at their league position and forming an uneducated opinion. 
    That’s true. My point being we need to be in general looking in a better market than league one and league two. Doing that has got us into the position we find ourselves now. Worst league finish since 1926 (?) and an fully established and paid up member of the third teir of English football, even flirting with worse.  I have absolutely no doubt that there are gems to be had and BW might well be one of them but my point remains we need in general to be looking higher. 
  • Options
    edited May 5

The word Jones keeps using is 'athlete'. He's going to want to have a physically capable player in every single position if he can. He'll want strong, defender-first centre backs, fast, fit and strong wing-backs, he'll expect every midfielder including the creative ones to be able to scrap and press and he'll want a target man who can hold the ball up and rough up defenders.

TBF this just about sums up every managers "type player" I should have thought...accurate as it is...👍
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    If we signed piergianni I think he would end up like Lavelle/inniss for us. Looks okay in a team playing no football because he’s dominant in the air but don’t think he is good enough for a promotion team.
    Just finished outside the play-offs as captain of a side who most people had down for relegation. The best defender statistically in the league, and overall best player in the league. He was the best defender statistically last season in league 2 and 2nd highest rated overrall just behind Owen Moxon, who will now be a championship player next season. 

I think it's genuinely unfair to compare him to the likes of Lavelle and Innis as they couldn't get anywhere near that level of performance or consistency. Sam Lavelle can't even stand out for Carlisle unless for negative reasons, and Innis just got relegated from League 2. 

He'd walk into this team, be the best defender, and make us a better team immediately. 

Only type of lists you'd find Innis or Lavelle on these tweets for would be most bookings on own goals, honking players 
    He’d be better than Lavelle/Inniss obviously but I still think we need a better footballer and one that we think can step up to the championship. I don’t think Piergianni is the answer at his age 

He dominates the defensive statistics because he plays in a team that does a lot of defending and want the ball in the air as much as possible. He isn’t the best defender in the league (he wouldn’t get near Pompey’s team) just like Tennai Watson isn’t the best right back in the league. 

It all depends what kind of team Jones wants to build, if we are just going to brexit ball it like we were this season then he might fit. Personally I think that was just Jones doing what was necessary to get results and stay up, next season I think we will play much more football so we need players that can do that and do the defensive side 

Look at the style of football that most of the top 6 sides played this season, none of them would sign Piergianni so I think that says to me it wouldn’t be a good idea. He will go to Rotherham if he leaves Stevanage because they will play a similar way under Evans 
    But he is the best defender in the league. The stats back it up, the only defender who you could probably argue otherwise (Cashin) has finished just behind him. Tennai Watson, again, like Lavelle and Innis, isn't a good measure. Tennai is the only player in the whoscored tots who doesn't belong, so 1 in 11 is inaccurate and it's probably down to a lack of players in that position/his game time allowed his stats to be higher. If it was based on players who had played 40+ 90 minute games, he wouldn't be anywhere near that list.

a defender does his job and that's an issue? Genuinely don't understand the logic. If you put any of our centre backs in that Stevenage team instead of him, they'd all look like horse shit, and Stevenage would have finished at least a few players lower. Of course I understand that a player that gets more chances to defend, can boost his stats, but that player still has to defend and none of ours really can. It's like discrediting a player who scores lots but scores tap ins and pens, they still had to score it and not everyone can do it consistently.

Just because a top6 side this season didn't have a player, doesn't mean they would pass up the opportunity next season.  There will be plenty of players who will be outside the play-offs and be capable of playing in a top6 side. We have proof of that with previous players we have signed.

I'd love a centre back who is comfortable on the ball, scores headers, and looks flashy, but we are a league 1 side, it isn't realistic.

Edit: I also think Shaughnessy and Moore have been really good this season, just not as good as the two mentioned 
    So how come all the other teams at the top can sign them? Piergianni is better than our centre backs this season, I’m not arguing with that. But he wouldn’t get picked by any of the top 6 teams which is what we are aiming to be, and to do that you need centre backs that can defend and also play 

I know our recruitment has been terrible but we shouldn’t be accepting mediocrity. It is easily realistic to sign a CB that can do it all at this level. Pompey signed Poole and Shaughnessy in the same summer so it’s definitely realistic 

If Poole hadn't got injured he'd have been comfortably the best CB in the League. There will be CBs out there that are very comfortable on the ball , it's just going to be how well can NJ sell the club to them in a very competitive league. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The word Jones keeps using is 'athlete'. He's going to want to have a physically capable player in every single position if he can. He'll want strong, defender-first centre backs, fast, fit and strong wing-backs, he'll expect every midfielder including the creative ones to be able to scrap and press and he'll want a target man who can hold the ball up and rough up defenders.

TBF this just about sums up every managers "type player" I should have thought...accurate as it is...👍
    It's like when managers say

"The one thing Hull/Colchester/Plymouth fans demand is that their players give 100% on the pitch every game" as if fans of other clubs are happy to have players only give 70%, and casually strolling around.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    As an aside, why are so many people referring to him as BSW? He's made it pretty clear he wants to be referred to as Brendan Wiredu, and whilst I get when he was here he had Sarpong in his name, that's no longer the case. I dunno it just comes across as a bit ignorant and disrespectful, imagine you kept referring to someone by their maiden name after they got married, it's the same vibes for me.

Maybe they just don't know...🤷‍♂️
    Every article about him on Fleetwood's official page, only refer to him as Wiredu, as do all of his socials. It takes 10 seconds to check, especially if you see people are already just referring to him as Wiredu. 

Same as Reeco Hackett and Karlan Grant
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    As an aside, why are so many people referring to him as BSW? He's made it pretty clear he wants to be referred to as Brendan Wiredu, and whilst I get when he was here he had Sarpong in his name, that's no longer the case. I dunno it just comes across as a bit ignorant and disrespectful, imagine you kept referring to someone by their maiden name after they got married, it's the same vibes for me.
    How long ago did karlan grant drop the ahearn, people on here still call him KAG. I’m in agreement with you Sam but it won’t change. Best bite your lip and move on
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:

Maybe they just don't know...🤷‍♂️
    Every article about him on Fleetwood's official page, only refer to him as Wiredu, as do all of his socials. It takes 10 seconds to check, especially if you see people are already just referring to him as Wiredu. 

Same as Reeco Hackett and Karlan Grant
    Fleetwoods official page!...how manty people check that out...same with "socials"...
    Not disrespectful at all, just a learning curve from whatever avenue you have access too...
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    If you read the Fleetwood fans’ comments you’ll see he is key to them.  I expect he only signed a contract to guarantee them a decent fee this summer.  

He’s definitely worth a look as we want to improve our mobility and physical presence.

BUT I don’t think he was particularly happy woth the club when he left so Nathan might need to massage his ego a bit.
    We did insist on a right to buy back clause in his contract when he left which suggests to me that we did expect him to develop and improve - and would want him back if that happened.
    I have no idea what the issue may have been, but it does not appear from the outside to have been anything but minor.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Swisdom said:

We did insist on a right to buy back clause in his contract when he left which suggests to me that we did expect him to develop and improve - and would want him back if that happened.
    I have no idea what the issue may have been, but it does not appear from the outside to have been anything but minor.
    I wouldn't describe it as minor at all.

Im not going to say more but it does the club, as it was then, no credit at all.
  • Options
    edited May 5
    Redrobo said:
    Swisdom said:

Im not going to say more but it does the club, as it was then, no credit at all.

If it was as bad as you say (or rather don't say) Henry...why would he want to return here...🤷‍♂️

This may prove a test to Nathan's power of persuasion...

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Swisdom said:

If it was as bad as you say (or rather don't say) Henry...why would he want to return here...🤷‍♂️

This may prove a test to Nathan's power of persuasion...

Well in part there’s been a huge turnover in staff which I’m guessing would help