Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    Hector and Thomas departing should mean two new first eleven CB’s coming in. Jones not interested in signing squad players, only those making the eleven stronger

As said by JimRodwell back in January, only looking to bring in players from Championship or above that want to play for Charlton in a higher division.    
  • Options
    Hector and Thomas departing should mean two new first eleven CB’s coming in. Jones not interested in signing squad players, only those making the eleven stronger

As said by JimRodwell back in January, only looking to bring in players from Championship or above that want to play for Charlton in a higher division.    
    I’ll be honest and say I don’t recollect that quote by Rodwell. I think if it true then our recruitment is going to be very exciting but I think it’s highly unlikely. We might see one or two from The Championship but “only” !!!!!! I can’t see it.
  • Options

I’ll be honest and say I don’t recollect that quote by Rodwell. I think if it true then our recruitment is going to be very exciting but I think it’s highly unlikely. We might see one or two from The Championship but “only” !!!!!! I can’t see it.
    On O/S interview 24th Jan with Paul Elliott and that Charlton supporter from Canada that sits on the board.
  • Options
    edited May 4
    If we signed piergianni I think he would end up like Lavelle/inniss for us. Looks okay in a team playing no football because he’s dominant in the air but don’t think he is good enough for a promotion team.
    Just finished outside the play-offs as captain of a side who most people had down for relegation. The best defender statistically in the league, and overall best player in the league. He was the best defender statistically last season in league 2 and 2nd highest rated overrall just behind Owen Moxon, who will now be a championship player next season. 

I think it's genuinely unfair to compare him to the likes of Lavelle and Innis as they couldn't get anywhere near that level of performance or consistency. Sam Lavelle can't even stand out for Carlisle unless for negative reasons, and Innis just got relegated from League 2. 

He'd walk into this team, be the best defender, and make us a better team immediately. 

Only type of lists you'd find Innis or Lavelle on these tweets for would be most bookings on own goals, honking players 
  • Options
    If we signed piergianni I think he would end up like Lavelle/inniss for us. Looks okay in a team playing no football because he’s dominant in the air but don’t think he is good enough for a promotion team.
    Just finished outside the play-offs as captain of a side who most people had down for relegation. The best defender statistically in the league, and overall best player in the league. He was the best defender statistically last season in league 2 and 2nd highest rated overrall just behind Owen Moxon, who will now be a championship player next season. 

I think it's genuinely unfair to compare him to the likes of Lavelle and Innis as they couldn't get anywhere near that level of performance or consistency. Sam Lavelle can't even stand out for Carlisle unless for negative reasons, and Innis just got relegated from League 2. 

He'd walk into this team, be the best defender, and make us a better team immediately. 

Only type of lists you'd find Innis or Lavelle on these tweets for would be most bookings on own goals, honking players 
    He’d be better than Lavelle/Inniss obviously but I still think we need a better footballer and one that we think can step up to the championship. I don’t think Piergianni is the answer at his age 

He dominates the defensive statistics because he plays in a team that does a lot of defending and want the ball in the air as much as possible. He isn’t the best defender in the league (he wouldn’t get near Pompey’s team) just like Tennai Watson isn’t the best right back in the league. 

It all depends what kind of team Jones wants to build, if we are just going to brexit ball it like we were this season then he might fit. Personally I think that was just Jones doing what was necessary to get results and stay up, next season I think we will play much more football so we need players that can do that and do the defensive side 

Look at the style of football that most of the top 6 sides played this season, none of them would sign Piergianni so I think that says to me it wouldn’t be a good idea. He will go to Rotherham if he leaves Stevanage because they will play a similar way under Evans 
  • Options

His had a great season there's no denying that, but his in his 30s, has never played higher than this level and personally doesn't have the pedigree of a winner. Atleast hector, who personally for me has been pretty bang average at best had played ar a higher level. Pearce when he came had captained and won promotions. That's what we need, a proper leader. Peirgianni or whatever his name is just doesn't do it for me.
  • Options
    I would like to see much better hairstyles than that if we are to compete at the top level. 

Anyone got any pictures of solid transfer targets with nice hair??
  • Options
    edited May 4
    NabySarr said:

He’d be better than Lavelle/Inniss obviously but I still think we need a better footballer and one that we think can step up to the championship. I don’t think Piergianni is the answer at his age 

He dominates the defensive statistics because he plays in a team that does a lot of defending and want the ball in the air as much as possible. He isn’t the best defender in the league (he wouldn’t get near Pompey’s team) just like Tennai Watson isn’t the best right back in the league. 

It all depends what kind of team Jones wants to build, if we are just going to brexit ball it like we were this season then he might fit. Personally I think that was just Jones doing what was necessary to get results and stay up, next season I think we will play much more football so we need players that can do that and do the defensive side 

Look at the style of football that most of the top 6 sides played this season, none of them would sign Piergianni so I think that says to me it wouldn’t be a good idea. He will go to Rotherham if he leaves Stevanage because they will play a similar way under Evans 
    All I can judge with is what I saw with my own eyes - he was the most dominant central defender I saw us play last year, nullified chucks and is exactly the sort of central defender and player generally that we are missing - as bowyer realised, u have to have players who can play  but also be able to bully your way out of this division when visiting the ex non league grounds, of which there are loads in league 1 
  • Options
    edited May 4
    NabySarr said:

But he is the best defender in the league. The stats back it up, the only defender who you could probably argue otherwise (Cashin) has finished just behind him. Tennai Watson, again, like Lavelle and Innis, isn't a good measure. Tennai is the only player in the whoscored tots who doesn't belong, so 1 in 11 is inaccurate and it's probably down to a lack of players in that position/his game time allowed his stats to be higher. If it was based on players who had played 40+ 90 minute games, he wouldn't be anywhere near that list.

a defender does his job and that's an issue? Genuinely don't understand the logic. If you put any of our centre backs in that Stevenage team instead of him, they'd all look like horse shit, and Stevenage would have finished at least a few players lower. Of course I understand that a player that gets more chances to defend, can boost his stats, but that player still has to defend and none of ours really can. It's like discrediting a player who scores lots but scores tap ins and pens, they still had to score it and not everyone can do it consistently.

Just because a top6 side this season didn't have a player, doesn't mean they would pass up the opportunity next season.  There will be plenty of players who will be outside the play-offs and be capable of playing in a top6 side. We have proof of that with previous players we have signed.

I'd love a centre back who is comfortable on the ball, scores headers, and looks flashy, but we are a league 1 side, it isn't realistic.

Edit: I also think Shaughnessy and Moore have been really good this season, just not as good as the two mentioned 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 4
    CAFCDAZ said:

His had a great season there's no denying that, but his in his 30s, has never played higher than this level and personally doesn't have the pedigree of a winner. Atleast hector, who personally for me has been pretty bang average at best had played ar a higher level. Pearce when he came had captained and won promotions. That's what we need, a proper leader. Peirgianni or whatever his name is just doesn't do it for me.
    Alfie May is in his 30s, has never played higher than this level and doesn't have the pedigree of a winner coming from Cheltenham. Here we are though with a striker that any of the top 6 would have wanted. 

Hector may have played at a higher level, plenty of players do, it doesn't always correlate to how good a player they may be one day though, some players forms drop off a cliff, some are late bloomers. All I know now, is Hector was absolutely shit for the majority of the season and Piergianni across a whole season stayed as the number 1 player for almost the entirety of the season. We don't have a single defender capable of doing that. 

Anyway I am biased, so I'm always going to argue it, but I think just as Alfie May was an obvious signing that would improve us, so is he
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

But he is the best defender in the league. The stats back it up, the only defender who you could probably argue has finished just behind him. Tennai Watson, again, like Lavelle and Innis, isn't a good measure. Tennai is the only player in the whoscored tots who doesn't belong, so 1 in 11 is inaccurate and it's probably down to a lack of players in that position/his game time allowed his stats to be higher. If it was based on players who had played 40+ 90 minute games, he wouldn't be anywhere near that list.

a defender does his job and that's an issue? Genuinely don't understand the logic. If you put any of our centre backs in that Stevenage team instead of him, they'd all look like horse shit, and Stevenage would have finished at least a few players lower. Of course I understand that a player that gets more chances to defend, can boost his stats, but that player still has to defend and none of ours really can. It's like discrediting a player who scores lots but scores tap ins and pens, they still had to score it and not everyone can do it consistently.

Just because a top6 side this season didn't have a player, doesn't mean they would pass up the opportunity next season.  There will be plenty of players who will be outside the play-offs and be capable of playing in a top6 side. We have proof of that with previous players we have signed.

I'd love a centre back who is comfortable on the ball, scores headers, and looks flashy, but we are a league 1 side, it isn't realistic.
    Naby sarr? 
  • Options
    edited May 4
    NabySarr said:

But he is the best defender in the league. The stats back it up, the only defender who you could probably argue has finished just behind him. Tennai Watson, again, like Lavelle and Innis, isn't a good measure. Tennai is the only player in the whoscored tots who doesn't belong, so 1 in 11 is inaccurate and it's probably down to a lack of players in that position/his game time allowed his stats to be higher. If it was based on players who had played 40+ 90 minute games, he wouldn't be anywhere near that list.

Naby sarr? 
    Naby Sarr, av' a word. Walking calamity, slow, weak in the air (for his size), clumsy. Had a few brilliant moments like the wonder assist v Forest and the goal against QPR, but he was very average. For the most part, not the player for the occasion.

I like him of course and thought he was blockbuster, but he wasn't flashy, he wasn't comfortable on the ball (not consistently anyway) and didn't really score or win many headers, and proper went missing against the big shit house strikers. 
  • Options
    If Piergianni is top of our wishlist, we are in for another poor season next year
    So correct.   Need Championship players and above.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

Naby sarr? 
    Naby Sarr, av' a word. Walking calamity, slow, weak in the air (for his size), clumsy. Had a few brilliant moments like the wonder assist v Forest and the goal against QPR, but he was very average. For the most part, not the player for the occasion.

I like him of course and thought he was blockbuster, but he wasn't flashy, he wasn't comfortable on the ball (not consistently anyway) and didn't really score or win many headers, and proper went missing against the big shit house strikers. 

Scored at Wembley don't forget...🙄
    Believe me, that's something I'll never forget for the rest of my life. Don't think I've ever seen so many people stunned at once 😂 

Still think Dillon takes the blame a bit but I'd go 75/25 in favour of Naby. 

On the subject of keepers, hopefully that will be a position we have a bit of success with, the timing seems right. A lot of decent keepers contracts are expiring. League 2 seems to have a decent bunch this year, and I always think keepers make the step up from leagues a bit easier than outfield players so I'd have no issue if we were looking at League 2 in that department.
  • Options
    I’m hoping the vast bulk of our recruitment is based on players who we can still play in The Championship should we get there. Piergianni might give us a presence and work well enough if we want someone for one season but he’s not going to be any use at a higher level. I’m sure he’d want at least a two year deal. Might be being presumptuous that Championship football is a possibility 25/26 but I don’t think we should be bogged down with short termism any longer.
  • Options
    CAFCDAZ said:

Alfie May is in his 30s, has never played higher than this level and doesn't have the pedigree of a winner coming from Cheltenham. Here we are though with a striker that any of the top 6 would have wanted. 

Hector may have played at a higher level, plenty of players do, it doesn't always correlate to how good a player they may be one day though, some players forms drop off a cliff, some are late bloomers. All I know now, is Hector was absolutely shit for the majority of the season and Piergianni across a whole season stayed as the number 1 player for almost the entirety of the season. We don't have a single defender capable of doing that. 

Anyway I am biased, so I'm always going to argue it, but I think just as Alfie May was an obvious signing that would improve us, so is he
    Hmm. Don’t really agree that Hector was ‘absolutely shit for the majority of the season’. If he had been he would have been much lower down the players’ marks tables. 
    His problem was that he could look very good for a few games, but then in the next game he’d be fine for 88 minutes, but we’d have conceded a goal or two and he’d be in the vicinity when one of them was being scored. I agree he isn’t reliable enough for a promotion chasing team. 
    I agree that Piergianni looked pretty good against us, and his stats are good in league one, but haven’t seen enough of him myself to conclusively agree he should be our number one target. Would be happy enough if we signed him and Richardson Santos however. 
    I think Thomas played up to his absolute highest level for us, but he’s very limited and we need a MUCH better ball player than he was. 
    Hope both he and Hector find new clubs ok. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 4
    Piergianni has got 9 in 69 in terms of goals for Stevenage and 8 in 78 before that and 12 in 98 before that. So that is just under 1 in 7 for Stevenage and similar elsewhere and that is another factor to add to the mix surely. Might not be a long term solution but could be an asset next season.
  • Options

This this this. Let him go to Rotherham under Evans. Nowhere near what we need , I'd rather see what we can get from Lloyd Jones than sign someone like Piergianni. 
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    I would like to see much better hairstyles than that if we are to compete at the top level. 

Anyone got any pictures of solid transfer targets with nice hair??
    We’re in for this lot:

I'd take Valderama
  • Options
    Luke Berry nearly scored a bicycle kick against Everton last night. I'll be amazed and impressed if we manage to lure him down to League One, surely he'd be a useful player for Luton in the Championship if/when they go down
  • Options
    If we're are genuinely planning for being in a higher league in 12 months time, why sign lower league chaff, that won't be able to compete. We need championship level players now, or risk having a whole team of players on 2 years deals that we need to replace (if signed on 3-Yr deals), if promotion is the goal and achieved. 
  • Options
    If Piergianni is that good how’s he reached the ripe old age of 31 and never played above league 1?
    It’s a no from me thank you.
  • Options
    Champs85 said:
    I’ve heard from a friend that Alfie May thinks he will be gone this summer. Not that he wants to go, but isn’t convinced Jones wants to keep him. Apparently it was discussed during a brief encounter with May himself so no further info to give than that.  
    Curbs, Brownie & Minto have also raised eyebrows and commented on Charlton TV about NJ's use of Alfie, alluding that he might not really be what he wants.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Family member bumped into Chuks Aneke in Petts Wood- Chuks said he’s got a holiday to Turkey booked, but he’s focusing on improving (and maintaining) fitness ready for next season
    Hope he's recovering ok?
    😂👏👏
  • Options
    Luke Berry nearly scored a bicycle kick against Everton last night. I'll be amazed and impressed if we manage to lure him down to League One, surely he'd be a useful player for Luton in the Championship if/when they go down
    Never mind bicycle kicks, what's his Barnet like?