Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    sam3110 said:
    The return of Jack Payne could be like a new signing.

Another very bad one. 
    Am i the only one who liked Payne, obviously not good enough but he did at least look interested when he played ?
    I would look keen as mustard out there. Wouldn't make me any less shit though 
    He really wasnt that bad, not good enough for where we want to be but no worse than Macgrandles and Fraser (especially second season) have been.
    It's a funny thing with McGrandles ...... regarded by many as dogsh*t here, blighted by freak injuries and never really getting the chance to prove himself.

He was last season loaned to Cambridge and they became a consistantly much improved side during the 2nd half of the season. 
    Their then manager was full of praise about the difference he made.

Much the same thing happened when he was loaned to Lincoln in January.

Lincoln transformed from a mediocre 12th, 13 points behind the 6th place - with a long unbeaten run into 6th place, only failing to qualify for the playoffs as they succumbed to 2 late goals by already Champions Portsmouth.

Charlton signed McGrandles because he was the engine room of a Lincoln side that finished 3rd.
    Of course, McGrandles is dogsh*t. But only at Charlton.

We have an unerring ability to take other sides players of the year and turn them into donkeys. The reverse midas.
    Exactly. 

Is it the player or the scouting/management/systems/ownership/general malaise that has been the real problem?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    sam3110 said:

Another very bad one. 
    Am i the only one who liked Payne, obviously not good enough but he did at least look interested when he played ?
    He really wasnt that bad, not good enough for where we want to be but no worse than Macgrandles and Fraser (especially second season) have been.
    It's a funny thing with McGrandles ...... regarded by many as dogsh*t here, blighted by freak injuries and never really getting the chance to prove himself.

He was last season loaned to Cambridge and they became a consistantly much improved side during the 2nd half of the season. 

Lincoln transformed from a mediocre 12th, 13 points behind the 6th place - with a long unbeaten run into 6th place, only failing to qualify for the playoffs as they succumbed to 2 late goals by already Champions Portsmouth.

Charlton signed McGrandles because he was the engine room of a Lincoln side that finished 3rd.

We have an unerring ability to take other sides players of the year and turn them into donkeys. The reverse midas.
    Exactly. 

Is it the player or the scouting/management/systems/ownership/general malaise that has been the real problem?

Both.
  • Options
    edited May 2
    I keep reading how good McGrandles supposedly was at Cambridge but my cousin is a Cambridge fan and told me McGrandles was fine but nothing special. His scouting report on Lloyd Jones was pretty accurate too so I have no reason to doubt him.
  • Options
    I keep reading how good McGrandles supposedly was at Cambridge but my cousin is a Cambridge fan and told me McGrandles was fine but nothing special. His scouting report on Lloyd Jones was pretty accurate too so I have no reason to doubt him.
    Don’t let reliable eyewitnesses cloud your judgement - he’s Roy Keane when he plays for anyone else .  Just like Ladapo is Ronaldo 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    sam3110 said:

Another very bad one. 

Although McGrandles only managed 5 games before injury for Lincoln this season so not sure he contributed much to them finishing 7th.

Definitely think there's a good L1 player in there, just doubt we'll see it at Charlton for one reason and another.

Agree, Lincolns romp up the table can probably be better attributed to their new manager.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watford, QPR and DC United all keen on Luke Berry (if you believe what you read online) 

Not sure the ‘lure’ of working with Nathan Jones again would be enough to convince a 31 year old to choose League 1 over a last payday in the Championship/MLS. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    sam3110 said:

Another very bad one. 

Although McGrandles only managed 5 games before injury for Lincoln this season so not sure he contributed much to them finishing 7th.

Definitely think there's a good L1 player in there, just doubt we'll see it at Charlton for one reason and another.
    He wasn't in the squad for Lincolns last 10 games, he hasn't turned into Pirlo :)
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Oggy Red said:
    sam3110 said:

Another very bad one. 

He wasn't in the squad for Lincolns last 10 games, he hasn't turned into Pirlo :)
    That was because he was injured.
  • Options
    cafc4life said:
    Luke Berry a name I’ve heard we’re looking at. Knows Jones very well
    Quite a few have said his name now, so little reason to doubt it. 
  • Options
    Berry has played 15 games, scoring 2 and assisting 1 in the PL this season.

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    Oggy Red said:
    sam3110 said:

Another very bad one. 

That was because he was injured.
    I know. They had their best results when he wasn't playing tho.
    9th March 5-1 away win at Barnsley.
    12th March 6-0 win against Cambridge.
    16th March 5-0 win against Bristol Rovers etc
  • Options
    Berry must be the players @Swisdom mentioned the other day. 

When he said wat a few weeks I assumed a team in the playoffs but could be the as the prem season is still playing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’ve heard from a friend that Alfie May thinks he will be gone this summer. Not that he wants to go, but isn’t convinced Jones wants to keep him. Apparently it was discussed during a brief encounter with May himself so no further info to give than that.  
  • Options
    I'd be shocked if May left this summer, although it does slightly look like Jones isn't the biggest fan of him. Maybe I'm reading too much into that, but if so it's a shame as he's our best player IMO. 
  • Options
    Berry would be a very astute signing. will be 32 before the start of the season so age not on his side but not mid 30's like some of the midfielders we have signed over the years. He would fit into the advanced CM/10 role behind alfie and leaburn very well, arrives late into the box and scores a fair share of goals, good on the ball and great delivery with an eye for the killer pass. 
    Thanks for that assessment as I don’t know much about him. Age 32 though, is a bit of a concern ?
  • Options
    Berry would be a very astute signing. will be 32 before the start of the season so age not on his side but not mid 30's like some of the midfielders we have signed over the years. He would fit into the advanced CM/10 role behind alfie and leaburn very well, arrives late into the box and scores a fair share of goals, good on the ball and great delivery with an eye for the killer pass. 
    Thanks for that assessment as I don’t know much about him. Age 32 though, is a bit of a concern ?
    Not at all, this isn’t  FIFA or football manager. If he’s still good then bring him in. My only concern is if it goes the same way as Harry Arter 
  • Options
    edited May 3
    May won't be going anywhere.
    Pure speculation on my part but I wouldn't be so sure. I back Jones to make the right decision but he doesn't seem to fancy him too much. If he stays I reckon he'll be a "game changer" from the bench. 
  • Options
    Jones getting rid of Alfie would really make a rod for his own back. I'd say if he got rid of Alfie anything outside of the top 2 would be failure as it wouldn't justify getting rid of the top scorer in the division otherwise.
  • Options
    This will be the first season I just look for the transfers on the official site or from C(r)awley.

Knowing the Club want to make changes provides comfort, so I wont need to obsessively refresh this page searching for hope 10 times a day (so I say now).