Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    We started the season with 2 key attacking players, one who plays best in a 433 (CBT) and one who plays best in a 2 (May).

Maybe Jones wants to go back to a 433 with a mobile target man striker in the middle, a system which doesn't suit May particularly?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    This will be the first season I just look for the transfers on the official site or from C(r)awley.

Knowing the Club want to make changes provides comfort, so I wont need to obsessively refresh this page searching for hope 10 times a day (so I say now).
    sure, me too  ;)
  • Options
    We started the season with 2 key attacking players, one who plays best in a 433 (CBT) and one who plays best in a 2 (May).

Maybe Jones wants to go back to a 433 with a mobile target man striker in the middle, a system which doesn't suit May particularly?

His favoured formation is a diamond midfield, narrow, with the wing backs putting in a huge shift
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

His favoured formation is a diamond midfield, narrow, with the wing backs putting in a huge shift
    I assumed we might go to the diamond after he tried it for the first half an hour against Shrewsbury. He quickly realised the team and players we had there were not suitable/trained it enough to be at all effective. So he abandoned it quickly, but wouldn't surprise me if that is his long term plan.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

I assumed we might go to the diamond after he tried it for the first half an hour against Shrewsbury. He quickly realised the team and players we had there were not suitable/trained it enough to be at all effective. So he abandoned it quickly, but wouldn't surprise me if that is his long term plan.
    It will be and he will be looking for suitable players to play that way 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:

Also make sense as to why Thomas and Hector are both gone. If we're only playing 2, and we already have Jones, Gillesphy and REG. We need to bring in at least 1 to upgrade the position. Doesn't make sense to keep either of those on top as well.
  • Options
    Champs85 said:
    I’ve heard from a friend that Alfie May thinks he will be gone this summer. Not that he wants to go, but isn’t convinced Jones wants to keep him. Apparently it was discussed during a brief encounter with May himself so no further info to give than that.  
    May not going anywhere as he said himself 
  • Options
    But is the diamond in a back 4 or 5?

GK
    RB CB CB LB
    DM
    CM CM
    AM
    ST ST

GK
    CB CB CB
    WB DM WB
    CM CM
    AM
    ST
  • Options
    It's essentially a 352 but with a diamond midfield and all the emphasis on the full/wing backs

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 3
    sam3110 said:
    But is the diamond in a back 4 or 5?

GK
    RB CB CB LB
    DM
    CM CM
    AM
    ST ST

GK
    CB CB CB
    WB DM WB
    CM CM
    AM
    ST
    Played against Shrewsbury with a 4, which was my assumption moving forward. Similar to Bowyer, I guess we'll see though whether he goes with that, or a 5 instead.
  • Options
    Has there been any concrete interest in Alfie May? Anything been reported? Has he said outright " I want to leave". 

No...no there hasnt.
  • Options
    Given how many players have been released, and how many contracted players everyone agrees need moving on it would seem a folly to create more work and holes to fill by moving on the leagues top scorer. I can't see it.
  • Options
    Given how many players have been released, and how many contracted players everyone agrees need moving on it would seem a folly to create more work and holes to fill by moving on the leagues top scorer. I can't see it...
    ...then you wake up and remember who you support...🙄
  • Options
    I did smile when reading that Jones interview where he stated being at a club that made “sane decisions “.
  • Options
    https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/transfer-news/coventry-transfers-matty-godden-charlton-29109107

Asked about the speculation by CoventryLive, and whether the time has come where the player has to ask questions and the club have to look at what’s best moving forward, Robins said: “If we’re generalising and not talking about Matty, of course there’s a time when things move and change. But, ultimately, Matty is still under contract and at the moment nothing’s happening.”

The manager didn’t however, rule out any movement, adding: “It’s early doors and regardless of anything, decisions are made and I go back to what I said earlier in that decisions are always made in the best interests of the football club, first and foremost, and if everything fits then...

“Again, I am not talking about any individual, but generally, they either stay or they move on, and generally that happens in the right way and manner, and that will continue to be the case.”

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:

Also make sense as to why Thomas and Hector are both gone. If we're only playing 2, and we already have Jones, Gillesphy and REG. We need to bring in at least 1 to upgrade the position. Doesn't make sense to keep either of those on top as well.

I wouldn't want any of those 3 starting at CB in a back 4 next season. At least 2 significant upgrades needed IMO if we want to have any hope of a good season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not a rumour and excuse my ignorance for not reading anyone else’s posts in here.  But I want this man:

Has a year left with Stevenage, can we tempt him out of that, yes.  We are charlton, we’re bigger and soon to be better than Stevenage.

He’s a born leader, dictates to other defenders, puts his body on the line and contributes to set pieces.

His last chance to bag a bigger move and bigger wages as he’s 32 I think.  We could get 3 solid years out of him, pace is not his strong point anyway so he doesn’t have it to lose.  

I’d make him captain, best centre back I’ve seen this season, and yes I have seen Santos of Bolton many times.  

Top of my realistic wish list.  
  • Options
    Would fully expect Piergianni follows Evans to Rotherham. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Would fully expect Piergianni follows Evans to Rotherham. 
    He’s from Peterborough, and assuming he lives somewhere near Stevenage, I doubt London is out the question geographically.  At 32 for a lower league journeyman I’d guess a lot of it comes down to the 0’s on the contract.  I think it’s exactly what we need at this time.  
  • Options
    Two things stick out for me in that Jones interview. One is how comfortable and confident he is with the management and owners above him. That’s hugely encouraging and reinforces my belief that Jones has some cast iron assurances on the project he wants to implement. The second is that he won’t tolerate players coming to the club and “coasting”. “Anymore”. He must see that there are players currently at the club he see as doing precisely that and that’s going to change with the recruitment he has planned. Both can only be good for where we are next season and beyond. At long last, I think the club might have finally reached bottom. Long haul back but for now I’m both excited and at last optimistic.
    Agree 100%.
  • Options
    The best thing about Piergianni is that he's taken his Italian name and presumably heritage to heart and cultivated a Flashy Hairstyle even though he's a hardman defender. You'd think a buzz-cut but no, not Carl, he's doing it Maldini style 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:

I feel quite bad for Gillesphey really. He was a big part of the Plymouth team that won L1 but he couldn't get anywhere in their Championship team. He dropped back down a level to play for a manager who wanted a ball playing centre back and about 30 seconds after that he was replaced by a manager who wants athletic monsters not wispy passers. Gillesphey put in some great blocks for us this season but he's not really one to win the physical battle and he's never getting into a back four if we go to the 442 diamond so he must be wondering what his future holds.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    sam3110 said:
    The return of Jack Payne could be like a new signing.

Another very bad one. 
    Am i the only one who liked Payne, obviously not good enough but he did at least look interested when he played ?
    I would look keen as mustard out there. Wouldn't make me any less shit though 
    He really wasnt that bad, not good enough for where we want to be but no worse than Macgrandles and Fraser (especially second season) have been.
    It's a funny thing with McGrandles ...... regarded by many as dogsh*t here, blighted by freak injuries and never really getting the chance to prove himself.

He was last season loaned to Cambridge and they became a consistantly much improved side during the 2nd half of the season. 
    Their then manager was full of praise about the difference he made.

Much the same thing happened when he was loaned to Lincoln in January.

Lincoln transformed from a mediocre 12th, 13 points behind the 6th place - with a long unbeaten run into 6th place, only failing to qualify for the playoffs as they succumbed to 2 late goals by already Champions Portsmouth.

Charlton signed McGrandles because he was the engine room of a Lincoln side that finished 3rd.
    Of course, McGrandles is dogsh*t. But only at Charlton.

We have an unerring ability to take other sides players of the year and turn them into donkeys. The reverse midas.
    Exactly. 

Is it the player or the scouting/management/systems/ownership/general malaise that has been the real problem?

Think most of the realists know the answer to you question Oggy Red.