Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    No way we should be loaning Kanu out in my opinion.
    Again like Anderson Kanu not going to get you promoted .. both out on loan next season 
  • Options
    TEL said:
    what happened to Lloyd Jones? 
    He's injured
  • Options
    The two Koreans. Hu Da Fuk and Fu Kin Nowan. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Again like Anderson Kanu not going to get you promoted .. both out on loan next season 
    Some were probably saying the same about Solly and Wagstaff in 2011, and Grant, Aribo, Dijksteel and Lapslie in 2018.

Players like Anderson and Kanu won’t hold us back if the recruitment is good enough.
    I was up for loaning both but your posts are changing my mind. I would now keep Anderson and loan Kanu. There is a chance that with Leaburn coming back that Kanus game time will be restricted to the bench. I can’t see how that benefits him or helps him develop.
  • Options
    edited May 2
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:
    If we play 2 up top every game, 3 big and 3 small is ok I think, especially if one of each is Aneke who's injured 70% of the time and the other is a youngster who whilst they broke through this season and did well, needs time to grow and develop. 

May, Godden, Kanu
    Leaburn, Aneke, New ST

6 strikers would be a bit mad, even with Aneke. 4 plus Aneke is more than fine, could see Kanu going out on loan though. 
    May, Kanu, Ladapo, Aneke, Wickham, Leaburn...

Different situation though, Wickham was essentially a trial with Leaburn out for the season, our squad will hopefully be smaller and better quality. We won’t have 6 strikers of that im fairly certain, 

Especially as we have Casey and M'Bick who are both about to go over the 40 goals in a season mark and are waiting in the wings.  Casey is the same age Kanu was at the start of last season, so they may well be strikers 5&6 but without being true first team squad players.

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Some were probably saying the same about Solly and Wagstaff in 2011, and Grant, Aribo, Dijksteel and Lapslie in 2018.

Players like Anderson and Kanu won’t hold us back if the recruitment is good enough.
    I was up for loaning both but your posts are changing my mind. I would now keep Anderson and loan Kanu. There is a chance that with Leaburn coming back that Kanus game time will be restricted to the bench. I can’t see how that benefits him or helps him develop.
    My concern is who we’d replace Kanu with. It’s unlikely to be someone as good as May who happens to be fine being a squad player. More likely to be a Conor Washington type who’s a lot more expensive than Kanu, on a 2 or 3 year deal and a player Kanu could be better than in a year or two.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Wouldn't be considering loaning Kanu out , with the amount of injuries we get up top we'll need depth for sure and Kanu would be a very useful option to keep around. I can see why it would be tempting to loan him to say an AFC Wimbledon for 6 months but I'd keep him in and around the squad.
    Think he could do well off a L2 loan personally. We have to think about his development for a better future for us. 

• Options
    Kanu loan thread? ffs
  • Options
    When the released/retained list is out it will be very interesting to see what verbage they put alongside George Dobson as if he is signing for the Hungary club he should be under released but I have a feeling they might say "In negotiations".
  • Options
    edited May 2
    It's mad to suggest a loan. Kanu has proven that he is ready for this level, constantly performed well and scored a handful of goals in a team that didn't create much. He has that new build of striker tall, wiry and fast. he is only going to get better by playing at this level, going back to NL or League 2 would be a step down in his development.

Sometimes a player needs to sink or swim and he has definitely swam, so why should he be "punished" ? For me his ahead of Leaburn at the moment and its up to Leaburn (who i like) to come back and win a place in the first team again.

As for signings tbh I think upfront should be our least concern, we could do with one more but absolutely not a priority. We need a new GK, couple of defenders, a couple of midfielders and at least one winger.
  • Options
    It's mad to suggest a loan. Kanu has proven that he is ready for this level, constantly performed well and scored a handful of goals in a team that didn't create much. He has that new build of striker tall, wiry and fast. he is only going to get better by playing at this level, going back to NL or League 2 would be a step down in his development.

Sometimes a player needs to sink or swim and he has definitely swam, so why should he be "punished" ? For me his ahead of Leaburn at the moment and its up to Leaburn (who i like) to come back and win a place in the first team again.

As for signings tbh I think upfront should be our least concern, we could do with one more but absolutely not a priority. We need a new GK, couple of defenders, a couple of midfielders and at least one winger.
    I think we need another big man, between Aneke and Leaburn fitness is an issue. The real focus should be on a creative number 10 to feed our strikers as all of them have proved they will score goals with the right service.
  • Options

I think we need another big man, between Aneke and Leaburn fitness is an issue. The real focus should be on a creative number 10 to feed our strikers as all of them have proved they will score goals with the right service.
    i agree we could do with one more due to fitness concerns regarding Leaburn and Aneke, funnily enough i bumped in to Bowyer last October at Gatwick airport and we had a chat he told me that Leaburn wouldn't be here this season but assume he will be now.

However I think in terms of importance I really don't think its anywhere near the top of the list.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    roseandcrown said: it

I can’t see Kanu going out on loan. Jones rates him and younger players he can work on and mould into what he wants.

Also think we will see a lot of the budget going into the starting 11 so having good youngsters on the bench /pushing will be needed.  With the work the forwards have to do under Jones there will be plenty of rest/rotation as seen so far and plenty of chances for Kanu to play.

100% this. A high tempo high press game takes a lot out of the forwards 
  • Options
    With better creation from midfield I think Kanu would fare well at this level. He's had to perform the role of 'workhorse' since Jones arrived (wħich Kanu has done well at) but there is more to him than that. Doesn't need a loan, just needs to play in a better team than this season.
  • Options

I can’t see Kanu going out on loan. Jones rates him and younger players he can work on and mould into what he wants.

Also think we will see a lot of the budget going into the starting 11 so having good youngsters on the bench /pushing will be needed.  With the work the forwards have to do under Jones there will be plenty of rest/rotation as seen so far and plenty of chances for Kanu to play.

This is how I see it
  • Options
    This is kind of how I see the squad shaping up:

GK:
    NEW - starter
    Isted/AMB - Back up

RWB:
    Ramsay - Starter
    T.Watson - Back Up
    Assiimwe - Back up/out on loan

CB:
    REG - Starter
    NEW - Starter
    NEW - Starter
    Jones - Back up
    Gillesphey - Back up
    Ness - Back up

LWB:
    Small - Starter
    Edun/NEW - Back up

DM:
    Coventry - Starter
    Taylor - Back Up

Box to Box:
    NEW - Starter
    Anderson - Back up

Number 10/advanced CM:
    NEW - Starter
    NEW/TC - Back up

Strikers:
    May - Starter
    Leaburn - Starter
    Kanu - Back Up
    Aneke - Back up (Super Sub)
    NEW - Back up/Starter depending on Leaburn

Thats 24 players, potentially add another CM +
    another forward who can play wide if we want to change formation, takes us to 26.
    Pretty much as I guess it will be other than DM.  Think Taylor might be out and Coventry back up but it is all up in the air.

I think Jones may want a striker/s with pace who can also play wide ala Karlan Grant.  Kanu might become that.

• Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Matt Godden evidently saying a move to us would suit him very well. Comes from a Kent golfers source where Matt is a member.
    He’s from Canterbury where he has family…..32 but would surely still be a threat to League One defences.
    Sorry but I can’t say exactly who I got this info from but please note, there’s nothing to say that talks or interest from the club have (or will), take place.
    Remember hearing he supported Charlton when he was at Peterborough. Maybe too similar to May
    My brother cleans his windows. Often talk football, never mentioned he’s a Charlton fan. Did say he heard that Sandgaard was a lunatic. 😂

When on holiday or meet new people when out and about my lying opening gambit is I have no interest in Football anymore; the reply on many occasions is " you must be a Charlton fan, what division are they in now?"
  • Options
    This is kind of how I see the squad shaping up:

GK:
    NEW - starter
    Isted/AMB - Back up

RWB:
    Ramsay - Starter
    T.Watson - Back Up
    Assiimwe - Back up/out on loan

CB:
    REG - Starter
    NEW - Starter
    NEW - Starter
    Jones - Back up
    Gillesphey - Back up
    Ness - Back up

LWB:
    Small - Starter
    Edun/NEW - Back up

DM:
    Coventry - Starter
    Taylor - Back Up

Box to Box:
    NEW - Starter
    Anderson - Back up

Number 10/advanced CM:
    NEW - Starter
    NEW/TC - Back up

Strikers:
    May - Starter
    Leaburn - Starter
    Kanu - Back Up
    Aneke - Back up (Super Sub)
    NEW - Back up/Starter depending on Leaburn

Thats 24 players, potentially add another CM +
    another forward who can play wide if we want to change formation, takes us to 26.
    I would say another CB and 2 more Midfielders.
  • Options
    Cannot see Kanu or Anderson going on loan next season. They played 30 and 25 first team games respectively this season.
    & where did we finish ? At best Kanu might be a fixture on the bench ( as it seems we are looking to sign at least one striker) & I don't see that as helping his development. He's only 19 & nowhere near the finished article & needs to be playing every week. Send on loan to a Fourth Division club for a season. 
  • Options
    edited May 2
    Redhenry said:
    Also heard, Nathan is the one speaking to agents, that's from agents btw

Good to hear:
    Nathan Jones is a hands on manager and the first one for some time. After listening to Nigel Adkins a few years ago on Zoom, the head coaches were taking a back seat and their input was just a percentage and not the main man with the incoming players. Obviously if the head coaches were at an ex club where the player had been, then they would take a more prominent role with either Steve Gallen or the present incumbent.