Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    Matt Godden may be ok, would prefer we did an Ipswich and went for Max Dean instead though.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Godden, May and Kanu - do we need and have room for three smaller strikers? Especially as we can’t rely on Chuks and Leaburn as our only big strikers. I’d be surprised if we have six strikers in the first team squad.
    Agreed. Not sure he's a good fit for us.
    If Godden comes May will be leaving.
  • Options
    If we play 2 up top every game, 3 big and 3 small is ok I think, especially if one of each is Aneke who's injured 70% of the time and the other is a youngster who whilst they broke through this season and did well, needs time to grow and develop. 

May, Godden, Kanu
    Leaburn, Aneke, New ST

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    If we play 2 up top every game, 3 big and 3 small is ok I think, especially if one of each is Aneke who's injured 70% of the time and the other is a youngster who whilst they broke through this season and did well, needs time to grow and develop. 

May, Godden, Kanu
    Leaburn, Aneke, New ST

Where do you lose depth elsewhere to have room for that, both in numbers and budget? Jones has talked about a squad of 25 with 3 GKs, so that only gives us room for 2 players per position, plus 2 more - Aneke and a wing back or midfielder might be preferred over an extra striker.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    £300k is an absolute steal…
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    £300k is an absolute steal…
    Surely new ownership would see a price like that as an investment?
  • Options
    Could Kanu do with a full, first team starter season loan in league two? He’s done amazing but still very raw
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:

May, Godden, Kanu
    Leaburn, Aneke, New ST

6 strikers would be a bit mad, even with Aneke. 4 plus Aneke is more than fine, could see Kanu going out on loan though. 
  • Options
    Vfrf said:
    No way we should be loaning Kanu out in my opinion.
    I think we have to. It's a different season, he did a job for us this year but wouldn't have started for any of the top six. 
    Oh right, didn’t realise we have to loan out all those who won’t start. Squad of 11 then.
    Pathetically soft reply.
    We have Aneke, Leaburn, May and Kanu. We know we have to recruit one or two if we want the quality to go up, then Kanu becomes our fifth or sixth best striker.
  • Options
    Vfrf said:
    Vfrf said:
    I think we have to. It's a different season, he did a job for us this year but wouldn't have started for any of the top six. 
    Oh right, didn’t realise we have to loan out all those who won’t start. Squad of 11 then.
    Pathetically soft reply.
    We have Aneke, Leaburn, May and Kanu. We know we have to recruit one or two if we want the quality to go up, then Kanu becomes our fifth or sixth best striker.
    Ah thanks. When you consider Chuks injury record he shouldn’t be counted on at all, if fit it’s a bonus. Leaburn has been out for half a season so no knowing how that has affected him plus he’s out of contract next summer so it’s feasible we might get offers. I’d keep Kanu around, he’s improved immeasurably.
    If we somehow manage to offload Chuks and Miles then I agree with you, DK is worth keeping. Otherwise it's wasted contributions towards the wage cap. 
  • Options
    Vfrf said:
    Vfrf said:
    Vfrf said:
    Pathetically soft reply.
    Ah thanks. When you consider Chuks injury record he shouldn’t be counted on at all, if fit it’s a bonus. Leaburn has been out for half a season so no knowing how that has affected him plus he’s out of contract next summer so it’s feasible we might get offers. I’d keep Kanu around, he’s improved immeasurably.
    If we somehow manage to offload Chuks and Miles then I agree with you, DK is worth keeping. Otherwise it's wasted contributions towards the wage cap. 
    We won’t offload Chuks as he’s still under contract but the problem is he just can’t be relied on.

Would Kanu count towards the wage cap considering his age and the fact he’s home grown? I don’t know what the criteria is here.
  • Options
    Vfrf said:
    I get where you're coming from, but I think Kanu could be a real gem and is only going to develop properly getting consistently game time
  • Options
    5 strikers - Miles, Chuks, May, Kanu plus a fitter Wickham type would surely be enough, especially as if we had better winger options we might play a front 3 from time to time anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:

May, Godden, Kanu
    Leaburn, Aneke, New ST

6 strikers would be a bit mad, even with Aneke. 4 plus Aneke is more than fine, could see Kanu going out on loan though. 
    May, Kanu, Ladapo, Aneke, Wickham, Leaburn...

Scoham said:
    sam3110 said:

May, Godden, Kanu
    Leaburn, Aneke, New ST

Where do you lose depth elsewhere to have room for that, both in numbers and budget? Jones has talked about a squad of 25 with 3 GKs, so that only gives us room for 2 players per position, plus 2 more - Aneke and a wing back or midfielder might be preferred over an extra striker.
    New GK, Isted, AMB
    Ramsay, Watson
    Small, Edun
    Gillesphey, Jones
    REG, Ness
    New CB, New CB
    Taylor, New CM
    Coventry, Anderson
    New AM, New AM
    Leaburn, Aneke
    May, Kanu
    New ST, New ST

That's if we stick with the 352. You could also swap out an AM and maybe one striker for a winger on either side if you're looking to change formation. I don't think it's that much of a stretch, as long as you commit to playing 2 strikers. 

Helps with versatile players like REG and Edun able to play in midfield if necessary 
  • Options
    edited May 1
    I for one hope he gets a L2 loan, we can see the promise there. Hope he goes and rips it up for a season then comes back like Grant did and tear it up for us too ( which on that note what happened to Kewell as a manager?)
  • Options
    what happened to Lloyd Jones? 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:

May, Godden, Kanu
    Leaburn, Aneke, New ST

May, Kanu, Ladapo, Aneke, Wickham, Leaburn...

Different situation though, Wickham was essentially a trial with Leaburn out for the season, our squad will hopefully be smaller and better quality. We won’t have 6 strikers of that im fairly certain, 
  • Options
    Wouldn't be considering loaning Kanu out , with the amount of injuries we get up top we'll need depth for sure and Kanu would be a very useful option to keep around. I can see why it would be tempting to loan him to say an AFC Wimbledon for 6 months but I'd keep him in and around the squad.