Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    TeeC said:
    Anyone else wanting Alfie to stay partly so they don’t have to tell their kids he’s left?
    100% - my boy won't understand why
  • Options
    TeeC said:
    Anyone else wanting Alfie to stay partly so they don’t have to tell their kids he’s left?
    This!
  • Options
    edited June 18
    I don’t get the logic of cashing in on a top striker now because of his age?
    Especially to a club in the same league?
    Surely we’d get more spondoolies using his goals to get us promoted to the next level?
    Make it make sense 😫😫😫😫😫😫😫
    It doesn't.

If Alfie leaves it's not because we are "cashing in" on him or "couldn't turn it down" but simply Jones doesn't want him. Now that may be because he doesn't rate him, or he isn't the type of player he wants or that they just dont get on. No player (the leagues top goal scorer no less) who is "wanted" by the manager is subbed that many times or given corner duties. 

Edit.

Just read @DubaiCAFC's post. 

Makes sense now. Very foolhardy if you ask me. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Berry is a good signing but most number of goals he's scored in one season is 6. Kanu is a prospect and will hopefully kick on but scored 6 in the league last year. Aneke and Leaburn are both capable of scoring but need careful management, even when fit Leaburn got about 12 goals I think.

Add their best seasons all together and they just about equal Alfies numbers last time out or just short. If May goes that is a massive deficit of goals to make up. Could it be done, yes probably it could. But it would be very difficult to do and however you look at it would be at the very least a gamble.

I am definitely not in the "if he goes, I go" school of overreacting. But his departure would certainly be a massive blow and pile a lot of pressure on Jones and the rest of the team.

Can we get away with fielding 15 players...🤭
  • Options
    Steven81 said:
    Are we being linked with any top players or just likely to lose our best ones ? Heard Sorensen might be going Huddersfield ,so aswell as being after may they are after another top player seems we aren't as loaded as we say we 
    Think the point is we are signing a left back and already have good players in that area , you seem to missing us signing Luke Berry he not come cheap … are we losing our best ones just look at May appearances under Jones if he not going to be a starter and Jones gets offered 1 mill plus be foolish to turn it down when that can be used on strikers that can make the jump up to the championship not sure May can 

• Options
    Worth remembering that the owners really didn’t want to sign May because of his age and the limited sell on he would likely have. In the end they gave in to Holden insisting and that ended up being their only good decision that summer. It wouldn’t shock me if any move was less based on Jones and more on the owners wanting to sell a 31 year old while his stock is high 
    Its 100% down to jones who stays and who he wants to bring in .. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Its the 18th today and Jones wants the bulk of his team done by the 27th didn't he say? Should be a busy next week or so.
  • Options
    Gassan Ahadme is tipped to sign on the other forum.

& in fairness to them they were bang on about the unveiling of Luke Berry (they quoted about a week ago that he would be the next signing & announced wearing a Viglen shirt).
    Just seen his stats....😱

• Options

& in fairness to them they were bang on about the unveiling of Luke Berry (they quoted about a week ago that he would be the next signing & announced wearing a Viglen shirt).
    Just seen his stats....😱

But have you seen him play? The few times I've seen him he's been a proper handful for CB's which is something we've lacked for a while
  • Options
    No way can NJ sell alfie before a potentially better striker is signed
  • Options
    Ahadme... Back to the 'Djaiesemi Method' of signing players who performed against us.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Ahadme... Back to the 'Djaiesemi Method' of signing players who performed against us.
    He’s a highly rated player but I’m pretty sure Iv seen before Ipswich wanted around 1m for him but if we can get him for say 500k I can see it happening.
  • Options
    No way can NJ sell alfie before a potentially better striker is signed
    Bingo 
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    Chunes said:
    He’s a highly rated player but I’m pretty sure Iv seen before Ipswich wanted around 1m for him but if we can get him for say 500k I can see it happening.
    I don't think they'll be asking that much for a guy who scored 11 in L1 last year. 
  • Options
    edited June 18
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can I just say, Alfie, so, that I can be part of the frenzy?

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Trust in what Jones' does and the ownership does. We had CBT and Dobson together for 2 and a half years and sat mid table.

The infrastructure of the club is getting better behind the scenes, this will only help in the future for everything. I see good times coming.
    This is such a weak argument, why do people keep making it?
    I think you're right in that trust is something that's earned, it's not a given just because you own or manage a club.

I'm very much hoping and somewhat confident that good times can now come, partly because NJ is demonstrably capable of leading a team up a division or two and partly because I do think the 'ownership' have begun to do the right things 'behind the scenes' at the club. Both these things, and the signing of Luke Berry and Manion, give me much more of a hopeful feeling than I've had for a few years. But, as always, time will tell...............
  • Options

Just seen his stats....😱

Signing players based on stats… sounds very Thomas and Martin Sandgaard.

If we only signed strikers on stats we’d be paying out big money without understanding why they were good and if it was only a purple patch (remember Ajose?). We’d also have missed out on Kermorgant.

I don’t remember Ahadme but if we’re after him and knowing he doesn’t have a great scoring record perhaps there’s a player who can help us get promoted and can grow with us. A lot like players like Stephens and Wiggins did in Powell’s team.
  • Options
    FFS... there is our Ipswich signing for the Window then
    It wouldn't be a proper window without an Ipswich signing though.....
  • Options
    edited June 18

• Options
    edited June 18
    Redhenry said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Redhenry said:
    Regarding Alfie, I can always understand that it makes financial sense for clubs in our position to cash in on players when the fee is too good to turn down and or the player wants away. The cash can be used to help strengthen the squad and everyone’s happy. This is how I see it going with Miles at some point. What bothers me with the Alfie speculation is that we spent £250k and have a sell on clause with Cheltenham. He’s 31 going on 32 and I don’t believe for one second that we’re going to get anywhere near a £1 million let alone £1.5 million. We’re not going to have enough to replace what he gives us and it’s not even as if the player is pressing for a move. I think Jones, if it’s him, will live to regret this sale should it happen. He’ll straight away lose a lot of credit with fans.
    Why not 1/1.5m, how can you say we won't get that, it may even be more :). You just don't know what clubs are willing to pay...
    Always respect your opinion but we’ll have to disagree on this one. 
    My guess is more like £450k. 
    :-(

My feeling is you keep a player like May, because even if you recruit another striker who better suits the manager’s intended style of play, he’d be a demon coming off the bench at very least. Teams that get promoted have options. 
    No way we sell him for 450k :)
    I hope you’re right. 🤞 
    I’m trying to learn how to be less optimistic. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Tease!