Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    kirklees Stadium … Michael Duff to Kevin Nagle. Look guv if I’m going to get Town back in the championship, I need a 20 plus striker.  Nagle, yes an so does every other side. Where you going to find one we can afford.

Charlton… they will sell us May for  £400,000. Nagle… I thought Charlton were looking for promotion as well…… Duff… can’t be or they wouldn’t even consider selling May.

Look after their lowest ever finish, the twat Jones will look to consolidate, and try to finish top half. An Charlton have the fans that will suck that up.

Well, Michael best get on the phone, before the idiot sells him to someone else.
    how long did you take to put this together?
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Let’s face it, the squad hasn’t been good enough for last 3 seasons, and they included fan favourites, like it or not, they are haven’t been good enough for promotion, that is either ability or mentality or both! My comments not everyone will agree, but that is a fact. Personally I am excited by that changes behind the scenes, the attitude of jones, and the fact the clubs attitude is no one is bigger than the club.

negative people will always find holes they are not happy with.. this will be a good season, and will be a busy couple of weeks!
    100% this.
  • Options
    edited June 18
    supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Let’s face it, the squad hasn’t been good enough for last 3 seasons, and they included fan favourites, like it or not, they are haven’t been good enough for promotion, that is either ability or mentality or both! My comments not everyone will agree, but that is a fact. Personally I am excited by that changes behind the scenes, the attitude of jones, and the fact the clubs attitude is no one is bigger than the club.

negative people will always find holes they are not happy with.. this will be a good season, and will be a busy couple of weeks!
    I'm not negative, I'm a realist

If we lose May we need to replace his goals.  We haven't replaced CBT's goals and assists yet either nor arguably improved our defence (on paper).

Dobson was our best player over the last 3 years.

Jones wants players in before 27 June.

I genuinely want things to be much better than before.  Can't see them being worse thankfully. 

However we should have signed two forwards on the quiet before the Alfie news broke.   In my humble.  Now teams will know we are in desperate need of a centre forward and I'm underplaying the desperation!
    Who’s to say we don’t have agreements for strikers or in advanced talks? I would say May won’t leave until we have replacements.. 

Its not like we have to free up funds to make improvements.. May’s money, would add to what we have in the budget, if not spent this window it will be used in January.
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

If we lose May we need to replace his goals.  We haven't replaced CBT's goals and assists yet either nor arguably improved our defence (on paper).

I genuinely want things to be much better than before.  Can't see them being worse thankfully. 

However we should have signed two forwards on the quiet before the Alfie news broke.   In my humble.  Now teams will know we are in desperate need of a centre forward and I'm underplaying the desperation!
    You say we havnt replaced cbt goals and I don’t know the stats but certainly feels we scored more or atleast the same the second half of the season . It’s not what an individual can do it’s what the team can do , same as May yes he scored 20 goals but that could potentially spread between 2/3 players and have a more balanced dangerous squad.
    Then we need 3 more players who can score  goals or near as dammit each on their own whilst not taking any goals out of the side. 

Not as easy as you proclaim.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

Agree with this to some extent, however even in bad teams there are often players of the required quality and attitude to get promoted - however if there is only a couple of them they will never be able to do it all on their own.

Dobson + May were/are both good enough for a promotion team and therefore letting them go on the face of it is a bad decision. Will all depend on who we bring in to replace them but it is certainly a risk.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Hey it's football, every player has a price unless you're Real Madrid. If he does go we can only hope we get a good price for him, whatever that is...
    This is the key thing. One of the issues with the Dobbo thing was we got to a point where we couldn't get a fee for him as we were so reliant on him. If we got decent £ for May and replaced his goals then I'm ok with that. I'm not deluded enough to think we'll buy a striker who scores as many, but ideally you want your goals spread out a bit more anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 18
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Who’s to say we don’t have agreements for strikers or in advanced talks? I would say May won’t leave until we have replacements.. 

Its not like we have to free up funds to make improvements.. May’s money, would add to what we have in the budget, if not spent this window it will be used in January.
    So you've been told......
    And no guarantee they are better than May
    Which is my point 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

We all HOPE next season will be a good season but none of us know.

Im a big fan of NJ and think in him we potentially have a very good fit for our club. I'm cautiously optimistic about next season, with or without May.

But that doesn't mean your two statements aren't contradictory, because clearly they are.

Either players CAN be improved and their performance and that of the team improved or they are to be judged only on the teams finishing position.

No amount of positivity from fans changes that.
    Positivity does have a huge impact on the way the team plays.. yes they need to give the crowd a lift, but negative atmosphere certainly impacts performance and players! 
    Don’t see how they are contradictory, facts are, the players haven’t been good enough, so doesn’t both me if they go, and the ones that stay, need to do better!

• Options
    Berry is a good signing but most number of goals he's scored in one season is 6. Kanu is a prospect and will hopefully kick on but scored 6 in the league last year. Aneke and Leaburn are both capable of scoring but need careful management, even when fit Leaburn got about 12 goals I think.

Add their best seasons all together and they just about equal Alfies numbers last time out or just short. If May goes that is a massive deficit of goals to make up. Could it be done, yes probably it could. But it would be very difficult to do and however you look at it would be at the very least a gamble.

I am definitely not in the "if he goes, I go" school of overreacting. But his departure would certainly be a massive blow and pile a lot of pressure on Jones and the rest of the team.

• Options
    I don’t get the logic of cashing in on a top striker now because of his age?
    Especially to a club in the same league?
    Surely we’d get more spondoolies using his goals to get us promoted to the next level?
    Make it make sense 😫😫😫😫😫😫😫
    Well he hasn’t been sold yet or a bid even accepted so I’d worry about it then ( if it happens ) and also who the potential replacement/replacements are.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 18

...IF AND WHEN IT'S ON THE OS...i may believe it...this is all just huff and puff stuff...🤞
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Berry is a good signing but most number of goals he's scored in one season is 6. Kanu is a prospect and will hopefully kick on but scored 6 in the league last year. Aneke and Leaburn are both capable of scoring but need careful management, even when fit Leaburn got about 12 goals I think.

Add their best seasons all together and they just about equal Alfies numbers last time out or just short. If May goes that is a massive deficit of goals to make up. Could it be done, yes probably it could. But it would be very difficult to do and however you look at it would be at the very least a gamble.

I am definitely not in the "if he goes, I go" school of overreacting. But his departure would certainly be a massive blow and pile a lot of pressure on Jones and the rest of the team.

Admittedly a while ago now but Berry got into double figures three times at Cambridge, and one of those he scored 17.
  • Options
    edited June 18
    shine166 said:
    1 rejected bid for May and Charlton Life is questioning if we should believe in Jones or not. 

I love the internet

Its obviously nothing to do with the bid is it, its the fact that Jones is willing to let May go at all. 
    He's told you that has he?
    Who, Charlton life ? no 'he' never told me that personally, but I have the ability to read words without getting hysterical. Redgards May, im just repeating whats been posted here lots over the last few months.
  • Options
    From what I understand we've stated May is NOT openly for sale, but we'll never not get offers for a phenomenal goal scorer at this level. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    1 rejected bid for May and Charlton Life is questioning if we should believe in Jones or not. 

I love the internet

Its obviously nothing to do with the bid is it, its the fact that Jones is willing to let May go at all. 
    That’s in contrast with what my source said. 
    You might be right, but there’s nothing so far to indicate jones doesn’t like him.

Its been posted here many times since he joined, its not something ive concluded myself.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Regarding Alfie, I can always understand that it makes financial sense for clubs in our position to cash in on players when the fee is too good to turn down and or the player wants away. The cash can be used to help strengthen the squad and everyone’s happy. This is how I see it going with Miles at some point. What bothers me with the Alfie speculation is that we spent £250k and have a sell on clause with Cheltenham. He’s 31 going on 32 and I don’t believe for one second that we’re going to get anywhere near a £1 million let alone £1.5 million. We’re not going to have enough to replace what he gives us and it’s not even as if the player is pressing for a move. I think Jones, if it’s him, will live to regret this sale should it happen. He’ll straight away lose a lot of credit with fans.
    Why not 1/1.5m, how can you say we won't get that, it may even be more :). You just don't know what clubs are willing to pay...
    Always respect your opinion but we’ll have to disagree on this one. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

I love the internet

That’s in contrast with what my source said. 
    You might be right, but there’s nothing so far to indicate jones doesn’t like him.

It’s been posted here many times since he joined, it’s not something ive concluded myself.
    Yes sure, but is it just hearsay or is there something concrete to suggest it’s true?  I find the whole “jones system” talk a bit tedious tbh, feels like something we’ve just ran with.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    It bothers me that our best 3 players have left /look set to leave  

We should be keeping them and building on it.

Fair enough replacing not good enough goalkeepers, central defenders and injury prone players or players simply not good enough.

May apparently has Huddersfield and other suitors...according to whatsapp messages shared earlier.

We should be keeping him.  And adding.  Not getting rid of him, having to replace him AND add to that also.

That is all.  Whoever Alfie joins, I'm happy to have a charity Upbeats bet ends up above Charlton this season and that Alfie scores more than our top goalscorer.   This potential sale makes no sense.   

If as @DubaiCAFC says we don't need the money, then why are we doing it....?!
    We’re paying fees for Edwards and Mitchell.. and I know two other players we are paying fees for..  When was the last time most of our transfer were involving fees, must been early RD days?

Alfie might well do that, but all I clear about is promotion! 

Jones has said, May won’t be a starter week in week out, and May said okay I’ll explore my options.. if we don’t get the right deal for Charlton he will stay.. nothing to do, with selling him to raise funds! 
    Ergo Jones doesn't fancy May otherwise you'd definitely start the League's best goalscorer to start frequently.

Nathan Jones is our manager.  He has my support but this one makes no sense to me