Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Redrobo said:
    Collecting bits and bobs from the other forum:

- someone seems to believe Alfie May is going to be sold, possibly to Huddersfield to link up with Duff again
    - multiple signings are done and will be announced soon (this week?)
    - cryptic hint given towards a player with dreadlocks
    This has got to be bollocks. Multiple (to me anyway) means at least 3-4. Why would we have these signings done already but not announced?
    😊
    They could fail their medicals. It's not done until it's done  :D:D:D
    No one fails our medical team's assessments on account of how much they practice (see photo).

Is that a shot from JFH's medical back in the day, looks about the right dimensions...🙄
    It's more a dobbo haircut, TBF
  • https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sport/charlton-athletic-agree-deals-for-duo-with-medicals-delay-due-to-summer-breaks/

Charlton have also triggered a release fee in the contract of Dunfermline’s Edwards, who can play a number of roles on the left including wing-back, left-sided centre-back and midfield.

The South London Press understands that the cost of signing Edwards is set to be five figures.”
  • I'd be happy with May,Kanu, Leaburn,Etete and Aneke as striker options. The likelihood they all are available at once is unlikely but it's good to have options, would allow Casey and Mbick to go and get senior football experience on loan in the National League. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I'd be happy with May,Kanu, Leaburn,Etete and Aneke as striker options. The likelihood they all are available at once is unlikely but it's good to have options, would allow Casey and Mbick to go and get senior football experience on loan in the National League. 
    Think we need one more personally. Aneke & Leaburn have their injury issues and that only leaves May and Etete as senior strikers. Kanu isn't at the level where he's making an impact every game and that's what we need to get out of this league.
  • Definitely need another if Leaburn will only be here till Jan.

Charlton won’t let him run down his contract & leave for free next summer.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Etete match the disruption of someone at the training ground last week, that’s for sure. Charlton/Scott like him a lot, Jones likes the idea.  Etete interested, talks between Cardiff and Charlton heading the right direction.. but still a long way to go..

Am I excited by him, no! Does he have potential that Jones can bring out yes! 

In terms of Leaburn, apparently he is a monster of a bloke now, NFL size! Let’s hope the hamstring op pays off.

Also on Chuks, the new medical team believe he is heavy or bulky which ever way you put it, trimming him down, but does that make a difference to his game, we will have to wait and see..
    If you look back at the Covid season where Chuks stayed fit the longest, he looks slimmer than he has been for the last few years 
  • NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Etete match the disruption of someone at the training ground last week, that’s for sure. Charlton/Scott like him a lot, Jones likes the idea.  Etete interested, talks between Cardiff and Charlton heading the right direction.. but still a long way to go..

Am I excited by him, no! Does he have potential that Jones can bring out yes! 

In terms of Leaburn, apparently he is a monster of a bloke now, NFL size! Let’s hope the hamstring op pays off.

Also on Chuks, the new medical team believe he is heavy or bulky which ever way you put it, trimming him down, but does that make a difference to his game, we will have to wait and see..
    If you look back at the Covid season where Chuks stayed fit the longest, he looks slimmer than he has been for the last few years 
    So the answer is to give Chuks the flu?
  • edited June 11
    MarcusH26 said:
    Etete was a target last summer but Cardiff didn't sign a striker themselves so we ended up with Tedic. Would make a lot of sense as a front man who's played with May and would put less pressure on Leaburn being immediately fit. 
    Hasn’t been a consistent goal scorer though, pretty poor as a matter of fact.
    56 appearances (various clubs) and only found the net 6 or 7 times!
    IMHO, that’s nothing to write home about.🫤
  • Sponsored links:

• Here’s hoping we’ll get plenty more through the doors by the end of the week.

Is that Roy Keane?
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Etete was a target last summer but Cardiff didn't sign a striker themselves so we ended up with Tedic. Would make a lot of sense as a front man who's played with May and would put less pressure on Leaburn being immediately fit. 
    Hasn’t been a consistent goal scorer though. pretty poor as a matter of fact.
    May's replacement then, all sorted.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    robroy said:
    Kion Etete seen at the training ground according to the other site. 

Kion Etete - Wikipedia

Played with May at Cheltenham 
    2024's answer to Omar Bogle
    There can't be another player in the EFL who's that bad can there ?
    What is Matt Spring doing these days?
    Woah woah woah! 
    The last man to score a winner for us against Palace? Off limits mate. 😉
  • ...assuming May is staying of course, Chris
  • cafcfan said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Doesn't necessarily need to be a 20 goal a season man though. The priorities need to be:

a) Be able to stay fit
    b) Offer us a physical presence
    c) Work as a partner for May to play off of
    Exactly this. Clive Mendonca cited Carl Leaburn as the best strike partner he played with. Yet Carl was hardly prolific either.

True, but didn’t Mendonca play for Grimsby and  Rotherham before us? Hardly the champions league is it. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Same as Carl Leaburn. Overall impact matters.
  • edited June 11
  • Here’s hoping we’ll get plenty more through the doors by the end of the week.

Is that Roy Keane?
    Eric Cantona
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 11
    Stewart said:
    cafcfan said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Doesn't necessarily need to be a 20 goal a season man though. The priorities need to be:

a) Be able to stay fit
    b) Offer us a physical presence
    c) Work as a partner for May to play off of
    Exactly this. Clive Mendonca cited Carl Leaburn as the best strike partner he played with. Yet Carl was hardly prolific either.

True, but didn’t Mendonca play for Grimsby and  Rotherham before us? Hardly the champions league is it. 
    For the duration of Mendonca’s time at Grimsby (5 and a half seasons), they were playing in the second tier. (Just before that, he had a year at top flight Sheffield Utd, but admittedly didn’t play much)

So Grimsby were one tier above where Charlton are right now and where we have been for most of my 15 year old daughter’s life.

Doesn't invalidate your point, but a bit of perspective is sometimes in order.
  • NabySarr said:
    Scoham said:
    I expect up front we’re after a big strong mobile target man who’s aggressive, stays fit, is decent on the ball and works hard. That’s a lot of boxes to tick.

Realistically we’re not going to sign a player like that who also has a great goalscoring record.

If a player who fits that description had scored regularly in L1 for a season or two they’d most likely have already moved on to play at a higher level.

Our best chance of finding a striker like that is finding someone we can develop, as Motherwell did with Bair. He’s already out of our reach after one season with a good goal return.

I’d rather we gamble on a young striker like Etete without the best scoring record than gamble on another weakness like a player with a questionable fitness record. In May, Kanu and Leaburn we have three strikers who have goals in them (plus Chuks when he can make the bench), and the latter two should improve with game time in a stronger team.

The right hold up striker can make a huge difference as we’ve so often seen ourselves when we’ve had one vs the periods we haven’t.
    We might already have one in Leaburn though. If he gets fit and kicks on from where he was 2 years ago then he will be the perfect player for the role 
    Agree, to have a striker like that at our level you either sign someone to develop, bring them through your academy or get them on loan. A ready made one won’t be available to us.

We need an alternative to Leaburn and at times we’d probably play them together (whether that’s Etete or another).
  • I think Etete is part of the plan B. 6'6 striker is always difficult to deal with even if said striker doesn't score himself it certainly can change the approach in a game .
  • Scoham said:
    I expect up front we’re after a big strong mobile target man who’s aggressive, stays fit, is decent on the ball and works hard. That’s a lot of boxes to tick.

Realistically we’re not going to sign a player like that who also has a great goalscoring record.

If a player who fits that description had scored regularly in L1 for a season or two they’d most likely have already moved on to play at a higher level.

Our best chance of finding a striker like that is finding someone we can develop, as Motherwell did with Bair. He’s already out of our reach after one season with a good goal return.

I’d rather we gamble on a young striker like Etete without the best scoring record than gamble on another weakness like a player with a questionable fitness record. In May, Kanu and Leaburn we have three strikers who have goals in them (plus Chuks when he can make the bench), and the latter two should improve with game time in a stronger team.

The right hold up striker can make a huge difference as we’ve so often seen ourselves when we’ve had one vs the periods we haven’t.
    Still think we need another striker like May. Last season showed that apart from him no-one else really scored...SSL after CBT left. Leaburn has a'good goalscoring record but not sure if he coukd operate up front on his own. 

Rather than another "big" / "target man" I'd much rather another May /BWP type. Someone small & pacey. 
  • edited June 11
    Scoham said:

Still think we need another striker like May. Last season showed that apart from him no-one else really scored...SSL after CBT left. Leaburn has a'good goalscoring record but not sure if he coukd operate up front on his own. 

Rather than another "big" / "target man" I'd much rather another May /BWP type. Someone small & pacey. 
    Agree, with that sentiment (in regards to needing another May type Striker), but imagine the club will be hoping that its Kanu

Wonder if we'd even be bothering with Etete if Leaburn and Aneke weren't so injury prone.
  • Scoham said:

I think a goalscoring attacking midfielder is the must get. Luke Berry appears to have a decent scoring record so perhaps he will fit the bill.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!