Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Scoham said:
    I expect up front we’re after a big strong mobile target man who’s aggressive, stays fit, is decent on the ball and works hard. That’s a lot of boxes to tick.

Realistically we’re not going to sign a player like that who also has a great goalscoring record.

If a player who fits that description had scored regularly in L1 for a season or two they’d most likely have already moved on to play at a higher level.

Our best chance of finding a striker like that is finding someone we can develop, as Motherwell did with Bair. He’s already out of our reach after one season with a good goal return.

I’d rather we gamble on a young striker like Etete without the best scoring record than gamble on another weakness like a player with a questionable fitness record. In May, Kanu and Leaburn we have three strikers who have goals in them (plus Chuks when he can make the bench), and the latter two should improve with game time in a stronger team.

The right hold up striker can make a huge difference as we’ve so often seen ourselves when we’ve had one vs the periods we haven’t.
    Still think we need another striker like May. Last season showed that apart from him no-one else really scored...SSL after CBT left. Leaburn has a'good goalscoring record but not sure if he coukd operate up front on his own. 

Rather than another "big" / "target man" I'd much rather another May /BWP type. Someone small & pacey. 
    I see that being Kanu, though he’ll have to keep improving and impress to keep that spot in the squad.

I agree on lack of goalscorers throughout the team. That should be helped by signings elsewhere to add goals from midfield (hopefully such as Berry) and via set pieces.
  • Scoham said:
    I expect up front we’re after a big strong mobile target man who’s aggressive, stays fit, is decent on the ball and works hard. That’s a lot of boxes to tick.

Realistically we’re not going to sign a player like that who also has a great goalscoring record.

If a player who fits that description had scored regularly in L1 for a season or two they’d most likely have already moved on to play at a higher level.

Our best chance of finding a striker like that is finding someone we can develop, as Motherwell did with Bair. He’s already out of our reach after one season with a good goal return.

I’d rather we gamble on a young striker like Etete without the best scoring record than gamble on another weakness like a player with a questionable fitness record. In May, Kanu and Leaburn we have three strikers who have goals in them (plus Chuks when he can make the bench), and the latter two should improve with game time in a stronger team.

The right hold up striker can make a huge difference as we’ve so often seen ourselves when we’ve had one vs the periods we haven’t.
    Still think we need another striker like May. Last season showed that apart from him no-one else really scored...SSL after CBT left. Leaburn has a'good goalscoring record but not sure if he coukd operate up front on his own. 

Rather than another "big" / "target man" I'd much rather another May /BWP type. Someone small & pacey. 
    Agree, with that sentiment (in regards to needing another May type Striker), but imagine the club will be hoping that its Kanu

Wonder if we'd even be bothering with Etete if Leaburn and Aneke weren't so injury prone.
    What more has Kanu got to do to prove he can be that man? He was instrumental in keeping us up last year and clearly has goals in him. Given his age (not always a guarantee as we well know) he should just keep getting better and better, particularly the more he learns from the likes of Alf and Chuks. The big question mark has to be over Leaburn, I would love it if he has a largely uninterrupted season next year 
    Hopefully we'll see a big improvement from Kanu and Anderson this coming season.

They got a bit of leeway last year, both pretty much rookies (Kanu had a few extra appearances from the year before), but it was their first real season in Senior Football

There were lots of calls on here, saying that neither are ready, both need a loan spell away this coming year - Hopefully they'll show up this coming season, having used last season as valuable experience, and will be better Footballers because of it... Its a big ask of course, as they might still not be ready. Just like a Senior Pro (like Luke Berry) may be at the wrong stage of his own career and we find he's more of a Watson or Arter signing.
  • Crusty54 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Think Isted will still have enough credit from his spell at Barnsley to get another League 1 club . AMB I can see being harder to shift and might have to be a loan somewhere. 
    I think AMB has reached the end of the line at Charlton. Releasing him to get him off the books would be best.
    That would make no sense at all for a club not flush with cash, his current contract runs until 2026. Why on earth would we pay him to leave ? As it would still show on our books.
    No, we'd be saving money!

Sorry, old joke
  • Scoham said:

Agree, with that sentiment (in regards to needing another May type Striker), but imagine the club will be hoping that its Kanu

Wonder if we'd even be bothering with Etete if Leaburn and Aneke weren't so injury prone.
    What more has Kanu got to do to prove he can be that man? 
    Owning the position rather than often looking like he’s filling it. Scoring a few more goals would help but making some more would be just as good. The one issue I think he needs to concentrate upon is he seemed to be easily pushed off the ball far too often. He needs to reverse that outcome, which I’m sure he will do.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Etete was a target last summer but Cardiff didn't sign a striker themselves so we ended up with Tedic. Would make a lot of sense as a front man who's played with May and would put less pressure on Leaburn being immediately fit. 
    Hasn’t been a consistent goal scorer though. pretty poor as a matter of fact.
    56 appearances (various clubs) and only found the net 6 or 7 times!
    IMHO, that’s nothing to write home about.🫤
    I think that is a good point but if you look back to Carl Leaburn, a striker who got pelters for not being prolific, maybe it's what you also bring to the team. Most strikers who played with Carl, absolutely loved him. Age is on Etete's side as well, it's a wait and see for me. 
  • Nathan seemed very assured and confident in the interviewed posted on the official website B)
  • Sponsored links:

• Towards the end of the season our defenders, notably Dizzy, would play a long ball up to Kanu around the right side of their area. It seemed the intention was for Kanu to win the ball, or look for it to drop a bit beyond so he could run on to it, he was right of centre to draw in the left back and not be competing with big centre halves.
    Kanu was not invited to play the big guy up front, winning headers, collecting the ball with his back to goal and flicking it on, not a traditional target man role at all.
    I don’t know if that was the best use of his (considerable) talents, or if he played a needs must role, or if it was about availability and an attempt at balance, but that is what I think I saw, not Kanu being ‘played in’, but Kanu being a kind of up front water carrier.
    Kanu is good, should feature, and should feature competing for a starting spot.
  • Scoham said:

What more has Kanu got to do to prove he can be that man? He was instrumental in keeping us up last year and clearly has goals in him. Given his age (not always a guarantee as we well know) he should just keep getting better and better, particularly the more he learns from the likes of Alf and Chuks. The big question mark has to be over Leaburn, I would love it if he has a largely uninterrupted season next year 
    Hopefully we'll see a big improvement from Kanu and Anderson this coming season.

They got a bit of leeway last year, both pretty much rookies (Kanu had a few extra appearances from the year before), but it was their first real season in Senior Football

There were lots of calls on here, saying that neither are ready, both need a loan spell away this coming year - Hopefully they'll show up this coming season, having used last season as valuable experience, and will be better Footballers because of it... Its a big ask of course, as they might still not be ready. Just like a Senior Pro (like Luke Berry) may be at the wrong stage of his own career and we find he's more of a Watson or Arter signing.
    I think in retrospect Kanu probably contributed a touch more than Karoy, but bar a few games where he seemed a little off the boil, I think Karoy showed what a wonderful player he can be during Jones' stint. Much like Seth has alluded to, I think Dan was there to do a job and provided we can bring in a foil for him (possibly Etete) I actually think Kanu would be great cover in Alfie's position. He grafts his nuts off and isn't exactly slow (much like Alfie) and if Dan's physical development continues where he left off, I would imagine it won't be long until he starts shrugging off big burly centre halves 
  • Scoham said:

I think in retrospect Kanu probably contributed a touch more than Karoy, but bar a few games where he seemed a little off the boil, I think Karoy showed what a wonderful player he can be during Jones' stint. Much like Seth has alluded to, I think Dan was there to do a job and provided we can bring in a foil for him (possibly Etete) I actually think Kanu would be great cover in Alfie's position. He grafts his nuts off and isn't exactly slow (much like Alfie) and if Dan's physical development continues where he left off, I would imagine it won't be long until he starts shrugging off big burly centre halves 

Completely disagree regarding Karoy Anderson, the four or so games he had when he first came in up until northampton away,  he was fantastic but after that he completely fell off . 
    Constantly got the worst rating out the whole team each week.  Yes he may have potential, but he cannot be trusted on as back up. 
    I mean the Karoy we saw at the start of the season under Holden/Apples Vs the Karoy we largely saw under Jones (he did admittedly have some stinkers) at the very least showed a player who has developed throughout the course of a season. He was also plucked out as a Jamaican international at 18 years old and they aren't just doing that for any football league player with Jamaican heritage breaking through, I am relatively confident we will continue to see Karoy develop over the next season but I don't think he should be relied upon as a first choice, I don't see any harm with him being a squad player that can come in, Jones clearly thinks there is something about him too 
  • Just found some highlight video of questionable quality on Luke Berry on YouTube cos I know literally nothing about him, but I do find it interesting and hopefully a good sign that he took (and scored) Luton's fifth penalty in the playoff final against Coventry. That takes some character. Rest of his play seems quite active and upfield - but maybe that's the nature of highlights. Will judge him when I see him in red of course but this strikes me as a decent sort of signing.
  • Scoham said:

Because he's not small & nippy. And he is still young & raw.

If, god forbid, Alfie May did his ACL just after the transfer window closes this Sept then Kanu would not be able to step up & replace him for 40 games. Even if he did he wouldnt get 15+ goals. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:

Completely disagree regarding Karoy Anderson, wasn’t just a few games he was off the boil - the four or so games he had when he first came in up until northampton away,  he was fantastic but after that he completely fell off. 
    Constantly got the worst rating out the whole team each week and somehow lasted the whole 90 each time.  Yes he may have potential, but he cannot be trusted on as back up. 
    An unpopular opinion, but i think he needs L2 or low hanging L1 oan. He isn't good enough for top two xi in L1. Asiimwe and Ness the same.
  • I'd like to see us sign someone who can take a long throw. It can be a potent weapon and we've let in a number of goals from them; last season in particular our defenders seemed to panic when a good long throw went in.

It's years since we've had someone with this ability, yet most other League One clubs seem to have a long throw specialist. 

• edited June 11
    Scoham said:

Completely disagree regarding Karoy Anderson, wasn’t just a few games he was off the boil - the four or so games he had when he first came in up until northampton away,  he was fantastic but after that he completely fell off. 
    Constantly got the worst rating out the whole team each week and somehow lasted the whole 90 each time.  Yes he may have potential, but he cannot be trusted on as back up. 
    I somewhat agree about Anderson though im very forgiving of him because he all ways tried his best, run his ass off and was thrusted in to the first team probably before he should have been. I still think there is a good player there and one for the future certainly and i wouldnt think about loaning him out yet (unless we bring in much better (which always seems to be a problem for us). Looking at that derby game and few others where he was for me, one of the best on the pitch he definitely has a future but as you say many games he was off the boil a bit certainly towards end of the season. He needs to work on his first touch but more importantly is he looked a bit green that can only disappear with experience but his first team exposure needs to be managed.
  • I'd like to see us sign someone who can take a long throw. It can be a potent weapon and we've let in a number of goals from them; last season in particular our defenders seemed to panic when a good long throw went in.

It's years since we've had someone with this ability, yet most other League One clubs seem to have a long throw specialist. 

I thought that job fell to Alfie May last week season
    😂

I think someone, somewhere mentioned that Josh Edwards has a monster throw, but I might have been imagining it?

I think someone, somewhere mentioned that Josh Edwards has a monster throw, but I might have been imagining it?
    Hope so. Definitely needed.
  • edited June 11
    Could “Mubama the Hammer” be on our radar as a loan option?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!