Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Josh Edwards signs on a 4 year deal

Comments

• Docherty doing his bit as captain.

At the time I thought it was a straight 50 50 and was willing Josh not to bottle it.  He certainly didn't do that and the still photo clearly shows he was in control of his actions, unlike Clare who should've got his marching orders. 

• My turn 🥴
    That's paywall content if ever i've seen it! 
  • edited August 19

My turn 🥴
    That looks like a snapped Achilles.
    Different from a torn/ruptured Achilles…..and believe you me, I should know.
  • sm said:
    Clare went to injure his ankle, nowhere near the ball .. definite RED
    He went to get the ball, and was fractionally late. A definite foul, it should have been a red, but Clare didn't deliberately attempt to injure Edwards.
    That's how it looked on first viewing on Charlton TV, and for that reason I can't really criticise the ref, who has to make a split-second decision (even if overall he was poor). But when Brownie had a chance to look at the replays he started to see it differently. He said Clare could have gone in 50:50 but hesitated and it was 30:70. He didn't use the word but the implication was clear. Cowardly tackle.

and this is why VAR is needed, even if in England we make it needlessly cumbersome. Among other things VAR allows the ref and others the time to confirm a player is really injured, as opposed to acting up. They have a chance to say OK, how did that injury happen exactly, I'm looking for that in the replay - like we are doing here, trying to assess from grainy stills where the impact was. 

At the end of the day, if a player has to go off and cannot walk off, after a tackle already deemed as a foul, it has to be a red otherwise justice isn't served.

And now I'm thinking of Naby Sarr being sent off by that twat Trevor Kettle in the first minute. This was much worse.
    What strikes me as poor refereeing is that the referee did not consult the linesman who was in a far better position to see the approach of Clare before the tackle. 

Well yes, although I am not sure wheter nowadays they are not all wired up together, including the 4th official, so we might not see physicsl signs of such consultation. Actually I don’t know why the decision-making and consultation system should be kept hidden  from us. We previously discussed on here what the exact role of the 4th official is and even qualified refs were unsure. 
    Yes, I have friend who's an assistant ref in L1/L2, they are all wired up, including the 4th official and they are talking all the time throughout the game. He said it's constant and a big reason he doesn't hear comments from the crowd as much as he used to. They might get to a ground at midday for a 3pm kick-off because they have to set-up and test the comms equipment. 
    Thanks a lot! That’s really useful info, which should help a lot of us understand better how it’s working nowadays. If you have the chance to find out at some stage, I’d really love to know more about the 4th official, and how the “heirachy” betweeen them 4 of them works. Do they all have to wait for the ref to take the lead and ask their opinion, or do they (or especially the 4th official) proactively offer their opinion on an incident or even draw the ref’s attention to an incident he hasn’t seen? Terry Smith certainly seems to believe the 4th official plays an “interventionist” role. 
  • sm said:
    Clare went to injure his ankle, nowhere near the ball .. definite RED
    He went to get the ball, and was fractionally late. A definite foul, it should have been a red, but Clare didn't deliberately attempt to injure Edwards.
    That's how it looked on first viewing on Charlton TV, and for that reason I can't really criticise the ref, who has to make a split-second decision (even if overall he was poor). But when Brownie had a chance to look at the replays he started to see it differently. He said Clare could have gone in 50:50 but hesitated and it was 30:70. He didn't use the word but the implication was clear. Cowardly tackle.

and this is why VAR is needed, even if in England we make it needlessly cumbersome. Among other things VAR allows the ref and others the time to confirm a player is really injured, as opposed to acting up. They have a chance to say OK, how did that injury happen exactly, I'm looking for that in the replay - like we are doing here, trying to assess from grainy stills where the impact was. 

At the end of the day, if a player has to go off and cannot walk off, after a tackle already deemed as a foul, it has to be a red otherwise justice isn't served.

And now I'm thinking of Naby Sarr being sent off by that twat Trevor Kettle in the first minute. This was much worse.
    What strikes me as poor refereeing is that the referee did not consult the linesman who was in a far better position to see the approach of Clare before the tackle. 

Well yes, although I am not sure wheter nowadays they are not all wired up together, including the 4th official, so we might not see physicsl signs of such consultation. Actually I don’t know why the decision-making and consultation system should be kept hidden  from us. We previously discussed on here what the exact role of the 4th official is and even qualified refs were unsure. 
    Yes, I have friend who's an assistant ref in L1/L2, they are all wired up, including the 4th official and they are talking all the time throughout the game. He said it's constant and a big reason he doesn't hear comments from the crowd as much as he used to. They might get to a ground at midday for a 3pm kick-off because they have to set-up and test the comms equipment. 
    Thanks a lot! That’s really useful info, which should help a lot of us understand better how it’s working nowadays. If you have the chance to find out at some stage, I’d really love to know more about the 4th official, and how the “heirachy” betweeen them 4 of them works. Do they all have to wait for the ref to take the lead and ask their opinion, or do they (or especially the 4th official) proactively offer their opinion on an incident or even draw the ref’s attention to an incident he hasn’t seen? Terry Smith certainly seems to believe the 4th official plays an “interventionist” role. 
    Watch the videos the PL release of VAR decisions, you can hear the ref and assistants too before it gets to the VAR bit 
  • As someone who has had 2 ankle surgeries for ligament replacement (one a 25 year old's cadaver Deltoid ligament) I would say a broken bone is probably a better outcome but hopefully it's just a bad sprain....first time seeing Edwards and he looked good......Clare should have seen red.......
  • Sponsored links:

• I ended up with a 12" scar after his tackle.
  • Bailey said:
    Could I just point out that Sean Clare's tackle .......
    And then I had to make sure I continued to read the rest of the post ....... :) 

• Oggy Red said:
    Bailey said:

Sorry Oggy I'm gonna get boring with it now, it saves me screaming get over it you feckers ! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Bailey said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Bailey said:

Sorry Oggy I'm gonna get boring with it now, it saves me screaming get over it you feckers ! 
    I should've posted our trusty Kenneth Williams photo :)

• edited August 19
    How long does an X Ray take and for it to be assessed?

They must know by now the extent of his injury, time to feed the masses!

Or are they being a tease?
  • Or maybe they don't intend to tell us
  • How long does an X Ray take and for it to be assessed?

For this type of injury it will be assessed straight away by a senior radiographer. If it’s a fracture the on call radiologist will be consulted with input from the orthopaedic team to assess the need for surgery. If the investigation is done in a private clinic a radiologist will be present but the surgical input would be the same. 
  • The way Nathan does things, especially handling injury updates, I wouldn’t be surprised if we get little to no information for a while
    I reckon the biggest indication we’ll get is if we loan someone in
  • smsm
    edited August 19
    robroy said:
    I'm sure Johnny Robinson took his pen at Wembley with a fracture, they found out after the game. 
    I raise you Bert Trautmann winning the FA Cup with a broken neck.
  • The way Nathan does things, especially handling injury updates, I wouldn’t be surprised if we get little to no information for a while
    I reckon the biggest indication we’ll get is if we loan someone in
    Doubt we will need to as Edun or even Watson can play there worst case scenario, didn't he even use Campbell as a Wing-Back at times last season? 
  • edited August 19
    How long does an X Ray take and for it to be assessed?

Hasn't Nathan phoned you yet with the result...🙄
  • I don't have a picture of it, but I have a floating bone spur in my quad which looks cool on an X-Ray.

Also, Edwards looked mustard early on, sad he's hurt. This is where having a big squad, with Small definitely talented enough to step in and Watson and Edun both capable of playing there helps.