Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Josh Edwards signs on a 4 year deal

Comments

• I’m assuming that the yellow will be upgraded to a red based on the footage available
    It cant... If the referee hadnt given a booking then retrospective action can be given.

By giving the booking it'll be in his report, so he cant be overruled
  • I’m assuming that the yellow will be upgraded to a red based on the footage available
    Nope
    It cant... If the referee hadnt given a booking then retrospective action can be given.

Oh, so only if a card isn’t given originally. Shame. Awful challenge that deserves punishment 

Oh, so only if a card isn’t given originally. Shame. Awful challenge that deserves punishment 
    Dont even think it needs to be a card... think if the Referees report mentioned the incident (I saw it, but thought Clare got the ball etc.) then again no action can be taken.

Its only when the referee has completely missed it, are they able to give a helping hand
  • A lot of the time refs give yellows just to cover their arse.
  • Jones sounded more confident it wasn’t too bad in the interview with Charlotte Richardson 

• If it was an actual break then surely he'd be in A&E and getting an x-ray today?

Just clutching at straws here, hoping it's not a bad one
    In his interview with Charlotte NJ makes it sound as if it isn't as bad as first feared.
  • What did Jones say in his interview that makes people think it’s not that bad?
  • Sponsored links:

• What did Jones say in his interview that makes people think it’s not that bad?
    X-ray on Monday rather than today 
  • mendonca said:
    Fingers crossed, but I remember that NJ does not like talking too much about injuries. He prefers to put a positive spin/view on the players available.

It's usual practice to have an X-ray once the swelling has slightly reduced, so I wouldn't read too much into that. Was hoping he said something more directly positive (can walk fine, etc).
    When I broke my ankle they didn't wait until the swelling went down to take an Xray. Can understand a soft tissue injury being allowed to stabilise before an Xray so I'm hoping they've determined the chance of a break is low otherwise you want to get it in plaster asap. Isn't the test to see whether you can place any load on the foot?

Dont even think it needs to be a card... think if the Referees report mentioned the incident (I saw it, but thought Clare got the ball etc.) then again no action can be taken.

Its only when the referee has completely missed it, are they able to give a helping hand
    Got the ball!!!!!!
  • edited August 17
    I’m assuming that the yellow will be upgraded to a red based on the footage available

Got the ball!!!!!!
    Read my post again... IF the Referees report mentions the incident, saying what he "thinks" happened (e.g. he got the ball), the FA can do squat
  • edited August 17
    Clare went to injure his ankle, nowhere near the ball .. definite RED
    He went to get the ball, and was fractionally late. A definite foul, it should have been a red, but Clare didn't deliberately attempt to injure Edwards.
    I am sure he didn't but it was a highly dangerous challenge that needs harsh punishment to make players think again before doing it. We won the game so this isn't bias but it left a sour tase in my mouth and has the a*hole even apologised?
  • Clare went to injure his ankle, nowhere near the ball .. definite RED
    He went to get the ball, and was fractionally late. A definite foul, it should have been a red, but Clare didn't deliberately attempt to injure Edwards.
    That's how it looked on first viewing on Charlton TV, and for that reason I can't really criticise the ref, who has to make a split-second decision (even if overall he was poor). But when Brownie had a chance to look at the replays he started to see it differently. He said Clare could have gone in 50:50 but hesitated and it was 30:70. He didn't use the word but the implication was clear. Cowardly tackle.

and this is why VAR is needed, even if in England we make it needlessly cumbersome. Among other things VAR allows the ref and others the time to confirm a player is really injured, as opposed to acting up. They have a chance to say OK, how did that injury happen exactly, I'm looking for that in the replay - like we are doing here, trying to assess from grainy stills where the impact was. 

At the end of the day, if a player has to go off and cannot walk off, after a tackle already deemed as a foul, it has to be a red otherwise justice isn't served.

And now I'm thinking of Naby Sarr being sent off by that twat Trevor Kettle in the first minute. This was much worse.
  • Sponsored links:

• No way do I think it was intentional just badly timed 
  • It a dangerous tackle and deserved a red card…he came in too late with studs showing…..ref was awful 
  • Hope it's not bad. An important player for us this season.
    Clare didn't mean it but a few times with us he left his foot in on a tackle or was a bit of a hot head and reacted stupidly to things. So he has it in him.
    Just awaiting Leuth coming on and saying it was clearly Edwards fault and we're just looking for an excuse to have a go at Clare again.
  • Bad tackle I liked Clare but he was limited and that tackle showed but wasn’t intentional I’m sure and he tried to apologise a couple of times 

i always fear when a player thumps the ground in anger and pain and I’m gong for 3-4 months out

Small was better when he came on but Edwards will be key for us in away games particularly so hope he recovers well 
  • Spoke to a few people after who were in East or West who thought it wasn’t that bad. From Covered End it was horrendous. Clare went in man or ball to stop the attack. Clearly a straight red from our angle. Poor Josh - career threatening imo. 
    That's how it looked on first viewing on Charlton TV, and for that reason I can't really criticise the ref, who has to make a split-second decision (even if overall he was poor). But when Brownie had a chance to look at the replays he started to see it differently. He said Clare could have gone in 50:50 but hesitated and it was 30:70. He didn't use the word but the implication was clear. Cowardly tackle.

and this is why VAR is needed, even if in England we make it needlessly cumbersome. Among other things VAR allows the ref and others the time to confirm a player is really injured, as opposed to acting up. They have a chance to say OK, how did that injury happen exactly, I'm looking for that in the replay - like we are doing here, trying to assess from grainy stills where the impact was. 

At the end of the day, if a player has to go off and cannot walk off, after a tackle already deemed as a foul, it has to be a red otherwise justice isn't served.

And now I'm thinking of Naby Sarr being sent off by that twat Trevor Kettle in the first minute. This was much worse.
    Clare has a split second decision to make. He ran over to make the challenge, paused for a fraction of a second, then instinctively decided to make it. Slow motion always make such tackles looks worse, as if the player had thought about it carefully, and then deliberately chosen to foul the player, when in reality it's fractions of a second.

Whether a player is injured or not isn't the criteria used for red cards. Sometimes an innocuous foul can lead to a bad injury, while other times a GBH assault causes no damage.
    Well the pause is what Brownie is going on about, because as we all know, Brownie didn't do pauses.

I know perfectly well that injuries are not a "criterion" for red cards. However of course refs try to assess whether a player is feigning it, and that helps them make a more informed decision. But without VAR they don't have enough information or time to make an informed decision in many cases. 

For me it started as a 50/50 chase for the ball but Clare was slower than Edwards so Edwards got there first and sent a ball down the line for TC then Clare clattered into him. Don’t think it was malicious because I don’t think Clare is that sort of player but he was late and it was dangerous and he should have seen red.
  • This type of situation seems to happen to us far too often, and normally to our most important players, Leaburn being the last.
    Horrendous tackle, no red, our player out for months on end.
    Bad luck, jinxed, or does this happen to other clubs as often as us?