Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Denmark v England Euro 2024 - Match Thread

Comments

• Is there a better English manager out there?
    Nathan J...

Oh.
  • Valley11 said:
    The pundits were saying we’re through but if Denmark beat Serbia and Slovenia beat us they’d both be on 5 pts to our 4 and we’d be out, wouldn’t we? 
    We'd likely qualify as one of the best 3rd place teams, like Portugal did in 2016 who went on to win it
  • 4 points would almost certainly guarantee qualification as one of the third placed teams.
  • I think today is finally the day I join the Southgate isn't good enough camp. I've long been a supporter/defender of his given how he's set us up to play tournament football and has got much much better results in tournaments than anyone before basically. Also the way he has created a team unit and mentality out of the national side which has been lacking for so long. But today showed he doesn't have it. He hasn't set the side up with any cohesive system, players aren't operating how they do for their clubs, players aren't on the same wavelength, no one knows where they should be at anytime. I don't necessarily agree with the criticism of he's too defensive - I think that's an oversimplification. But I do agree that he hasn't set us up to get the best out of these players.

Haven't read the thread yet but wondering if FA (our FA not the FA) is also making the same jump as me?

As for the next game.

Need some changes if nothing more than for some fresh legs and to change things up. 

Gordon on the left. Palmer in the 10. Bellingham in midfield. That's gotta be the minimum. Saka Kane and Rice will keep their places on reputation but could probably come off to keep them fresh. Need to develop some cohesion in the unit and quick time 
  • edited June 20
    The Kalvin Phillips comment is really disrespectful to the rest of the squad.
    But that's just Southgate doing what Southgate does 
    I bet that camp is proper clicky.
  • Still think he's in credit, moving England to a team that has made finals and semi finals. Pretty turgid stuff today but not time to pull any triggers. 
  • Still think he's in credit, moving England to a team that has made finals and semi finals. Pretty turgid stuff today but not time to pull any triggers. 
    Yep. I'll judge him at the end of the tournament. Very underwhelming performances so far, but two satisfactory results. I've seen us play worse, against worse opponents, many times in the past. I acknowledge that the two games so far do nothing to inspire confidence or optimism, but neither do they merit the predictable hysterics that followed them. 

No tournament was ever won in the group stages. 
  • edited June 21
    that was painful, and so much worse than even I could imagine, and I’m half empty.
  • Sponsored links:

• RobRob
    edited June 21
    We’ve had a plethora of talent in this team for years now. Look how we’ve fared in the younger age group categories and unfortunately it has been wasted on Southgate at the senior level. He blew it in the final 4 (3) years ago. He never did it as a club manager and he hasn’t been able to do it at international level. This group of talent is being wasted on him. 
    And now his whole demeanor is depressing and negative. In this tournament I’m not sure where we go from here. The whole aura around the team now seems very depressed. Only one person to blame in my opinion. The FA strikes again on this appointee. A boring yes man. 
    Prove me wrong Gareth!! Can’t see it. 
  • lol!... Love how chilled the King of Denmark was with Prince William, wasnt sure if he was some random rich bloke
    I think he is, isn’t he just the queen’s husband?
    Thomas Frank was saying it was the King... I'm not too sure based on the Danish Royal Family - Glad to see though that William has left the wife at home with the kids, whilst he's buggered off to the Football

Always knew he was one of us
    I think they changed it to call him “king” but she’s the one in charge and he married in
    No, he recently became the king when his mum (Queen Margrethe) stepped down.
    He met his Aussie wife in a boozer in Sydney during the 2000 Olympics.
  • We need to change the midfield,what is the point of Rice standing 5 yards in front of the defence,asking for the ball and either then paying it back or sideways and starting all over.l We need to get that ball and drive forward,look at Spain and germany,two or three short passes then woosh they are away.We have no pace up front,Harry plays too deep, and tries to do the midfields job.Look at Spains 2 wingers last night,caused panic whenever they got the ball,Holland will be the same when Gakpo gets the ball wide,Germany have pace all over the front line,with Kroos feeding them with his passing.We put Alexander Arnold in because of his passing ability and he has no one to aim for,at Liverpool he has.Gordon has to play ,possibly Palmer,we will struggle against the better sides (No disrespect to Denmark who were good)with the present formation.
  • I do have a suspicion now Steve Cooper has got the Leicester job that the FA will have an eye on Graham Potter.... 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I do have a suspicion now Steve Cooper has got the Leicester job that the FA will have an eye on Graham Potter.... 
    Good manager at  Brighton, but Chelsea was too much for him, would England be too much for him?
  • If people are not bothered about nationality, what about getting Jurgen Klopp in, now he’s available?

I haven’t heard where he’s going to end up, as least he’s an elite manager, who has won something.

You never know he might even get Trent playing well for England.
  • For whatever reason our midfield is not performing as it should. 
    With the players available our midfield should be dominant 
    But it is so so ineffective. 
    It's down to Southgate to get a tune out of them and I'm afraid he's failing miserably 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 21
    If people are not bothered about nationality, what about getting Jurgen Klopp in, now he’s available?

I haven’t heard where he’s going to end up, as least he’s an elite manager, who has won something.

You never know he might even get Trent playing well for England.
    He would be a great England manager IMO. Maybe he wants to go back home though. He might be in line for the Germany job if they fail.

I know I am in a minority, judging by my friends and family's reaction, but I'd consider playing Rice as a centre back against certain opponents. Basically it would effectively give us an extra midfielder/attacker. We have an outlet on the right but nothing on the left. Trippier is doing a job but it is a sticking plaster job. Rice would know when he needs to be a defender and when he needs to be a midfielder. Then I might stick Trent on the left instead of Trippier. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I do have a suspicion now Steve Cooper has got the Leicester job that the FA will have an eye on Graham Potter.... 
    Good manager at  Brighton, but Chelsea was too much for him, would England be too much for him?

I think that's a very fair point to make, I'm not honestly sure if it would be too much for him but I'd be surprised if he wasn't on any shortlist for the next manager. 
  • edited June 21
    Southgate on Kane being subbed off - "We needed energy. You know, we've had 2 games in a short turnaround" Yeah, that's what happens in a tournament and it's only the 2nd game in.

• CAFCsayer said:
    Bin Southgate and pay pep whatever he wants
    I do wonder what the likes of Foden thinks when he works with Pep every day and then turns up to England to listen to Southgate instructing them to sit deep and defend.
  • I also didn't get the Foden sub. He was far from perfect, but he did individually produce 3 of our best moments. 

I'd love to know why Eze got on the pitch ahead of Gordon.
  • In one of the interviews last night Southgate said he hadn't told the players to drop so deep. So why wasnt he shouting at them to push up?

Leave formations and personnel to one side for a second, if the players arent following your instructions then you shout and hook people off until they do. 

So on that single point alone hes either inept, or lying.
  • edited June 21
    I do like Eze as a player but he seems to have a completely free role with the Nigels to pop up wherever he wants to. Would have gone for Gordon instead of him as a winger