Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Denmark v England Euro 2024 - Match Thread

Comments

• Off_it said:
    In one of the interviews last night Southgate said he hadn't told the players to drop so deep. So why wasnt he shouting at them to push up?

Leave formations and personnel to one side for a second, if the players arent following your instructions then you shout and hook people off until they do. 

So on that single point alone hes either inept, or lying.
    I can’t believe he hasn’t told the players to play deep. Players at virtually all levels play in the formation they are told to. We have brought players in since the last time we were bored to death with and we are playing in a near identical style. Also and I am happy to be wrong, none of these players play in that formation for their clubs. 
    In his post match interview he said there was work to be done. How can you arrive at a tournament, play 2 games so badly and come out with that? Most teams turn up prepared rather than turning up and playing like 11 strangers. 
  • We just have no style at all, players seem confused about what their role is and what the team are trying to do.

Probably the most talented squad in our history and it is completely wasted with Gareth in charge.
  • I like Jarrod Bowen, but it's baffling that he's come off the bench twice while Cole Palmer is yet to play. 
    There's any number of baffling decisions. How has Gordon not got a kick yet when we're crying out for some width on the left? Why did he start Trent again when it obviously didn't work in the first game? 
    Why did he take Foden and Saka off last night when they looked the two most likely to do something but kept Bellingham on who was anonymous? Why did he claim that we're struggling because Kalvin Phillips isn't there?
    He's got form for this..
    The whole of England and their dogs are clamouring for personnel changes, highly obvious personell changes and Southgate refuses to make the change or makes a change but it's completely at odds with everyone else's view.
     He has this obsession with cutting his nose to spite his face. 
    There must be a name for it or something??
  • PWR the majority of the post match comments. 

In a story as old as time, our lack of a left sided outlet is killing us. How easy is it to defend when you can practically disregard one third of the pitch. 

Have no problems with subs who were brought on but can anyone say that Bellingham was more effective than Foden and Saka? They were the only two who looked like creating anything. 

Every player needs to be 10 yards further up pitch as their default position. 

Either press or don’t. None of this half hearted Kane jogging towards the goalie shit. Go all in as a team or don’t bother. 
  • Danepak said:
    lol!... Love how chilled the King of Denmark was with Prince William, wasnt sure if he was some random rich bloke
    I think he is, isn’t he just the queen’s husband?
    Thomas Frank was saying it was the King... I'm not too sure based on the Danish Royal Family - Glad to see though that William has left the wife at home with the kids, whilst he's buggered off to the Football

Always knew he was one of us
    I think they changed it to call him “king” but she’s the one in charge and he married in
    No, he recently became the king when his mum (Queen Margrethe) stepped down.
    He met his Aussie wife in a boozer in Sydney during the 2000 Olympics.
    Was it his dad that wanted to be king then @Danepak or have i dreamt all this up?
  • I’d stuck up for Southgate but getting fed up now with some of his comments re tired minds and bodies. It becomes self-fulfilling to give such an excuse. These are professional athletes representing their country in an international tournament - and no different from their opponents. The Germans, French, Spanish etc don’t look tired to me. 
  • edited June 21
    Personally for the last game I'd drop Kane if we're going to play the same formation. We looked so much more dynamic without him. 

TAA drops no matter what. Very poor both first two games. 

I'd go 3-5-2 to keep Kane in. Not sure on LCB - Guehi did alright, but maybe Konsa gets a run out, but that's probably sentimentality. 

Pickford
    Walker - Stones - Guehi
    Saka - Gallagher - Rice - Bellingham - Foden
    Watkins - Kane

If we go with the same 4-2-3-1then I'd go 
    Pickford
    Walker - Stones - Guehi - Trippier
    Gallagher - Rice
    Saka - Bellingham - Foden
    Watkins
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 21
    Imagine saying "We don't have a natural replacement for Kalvin Phillips" - when you've now got Jude Bellingham, who many believe will be one of the best English midfielders ever, and who Real Madrid fans are saying is better than Zidane. Phillips couldn't even get a game at Man City.

(Not that Southgate is taking advantage of Bellingham at all).

I think this England team has been sussed a bit, especially with the lack of width on the left and no running in behind, and we know Southgate is incredibly slow to adapt tactically. Not holding much hope for this tournament. 
  • I don't see how there isn't some way of making Bellingham work as a number 10. He's the best in the world in the position. We don't need to play him deeper. Surely, surely, surely there's another way
  • Also, if there's one player I could teleport into this England squad right now, it's not Grealish, it's Leif Davis
  • Plop. But we didn't lose.  
  • On the plus side, I thought Kane took his goal very well, which he should as he is a top striker.

He let the ball come across him and with his left stuck it in the corner. Many forwards would have snapped at that and it would have been straight at the keeper.

And that’s where Kane should have been playing, at the front. Amazing when you actually look we did in that move, pressed them going forward, nicked the ball, put the ball into the danger zone and  Kane put the ball away as expected. I know it’s not realistic to expect 90 minutes of that but that is basically what football is. We were so easy to contain after the goal, we offered virtually nothing creatively. Kane’s wayward pass from a throw in deep in our half pretty much highlighted all that is wrong with Southgate and the England team. 
  • We looked good playing 433 at the last WC and Bellingham did well in a slightly deeper role there, I'd go back to that and have one of Mainoo or Wharton (replacing Henderson) in a 3 with Bellingham and Rice. 

This 4231 we're trying to play to get Bellingham into a classic 10 position is effectively leaving us with an overwhelmed 2 man midfield at the moment - then in front of them is a flat front 3 or 4, which complete negates the 'quarterback passer' we've shoehorned into the midfield because there are no runs for anyone to make! I think a 433 also works better with Kane dropping deep as he can draw men into midfield and create space for the runners either side of him. 

There was a real sense in Qatar that the team was finding a new level and way to keep on the front foot in games - difficult to see why we've changed the system that gave us that and to me feels like the only workable fix to sort us out is going back to it. 

• Sounds like a cracking match fellas. I heard it was just like watching Charlton. Really sorry I missed it:(

Bet you were all glad you sat through it;)
  • edited June 21
    I feel I must say something positive about Southgate. It is truly incredible what he has achieved in his career given his lack of quality as a player and a manager. You have to give the bloke some credit for that. And he is a nice bloke too.
  • edited June 21
    Kane has to be told to stay up top, and press their defenders more. He doesn't need to do this for the whole game, as Watkins or Toney can replace him when he tires.

For such a brilliant player and goalscorer, at tournaments Kane always looks tired, even when younger. He never seems to have that bit of zip in his legs.
    Kane needs runners alongside him. Southgate has to work out how to achieve that. There are different ways and we might have different opinions on how to do it, but most countries whould have Kane so we need to sort it out within what we have, not replace him with an inferior player.

How about trying to convince Bayern Munich to swap Kane for Watkins. Our captain and first name on the team sheet for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Laddick01 said:
    I also didn't get the Foden sub. He was far from perfect, but he did individually produce 3 of our best moments. 

I'd love to know why Eze got on the pitch ahead of Gordon.
    Because he's Palace and Southgate is and always will be, a Palace twat.
    The same reason that Grealish has been left at home and some Palace kid, that nobody has heard of, was included in the squad.
    Southgate angling for his next job at Shitehurst Park.
  • edited June 21
    Laddick01 said:
    I also didn't get the Foden sub. He was far from perfect, but he did individually produce 3 of our best moments. 

I'd love to know why Eze got on the pitch ahead of Gordon.
    Because he's Palace and Southgate is and always will be, a Palace twat.
    The same reason that Grealish has been left at home and some Palace kid, that nobody has heard of, was included in the squad.
    Southgate angling for his next job at Shitehurst Park.
    I actually agree with this. I admit I do hate Palace but they are a lower Premier League team basically.
  • Kane has to be told to stay up top, and press their defenders more. He doesn't need to do this for the whole game, as Watkins or Toney can replace him when he tires.

For such a brilliant player and goalscorer, at tournaments Kane always looks tired, even when younger. He never seems to have that bit of zip in his legs.
    Indeed. You can probably count on a couple of fingers the number of players in this tournament the number of players that have played as many minutes as Kane in the last four years - 249 appearances and yesterday was one of the very few times that he would have been "hooked" in those games. He plays in a position where he is constantly being kicked and it is inevitable, as one suspects is the current situation though England would not want this to be made public for obvious reasons, that he has played carrying an injury.   
  • Kane has to be told to stay up top, and press their defenders more. He doesn't need to do this for the whole game, as Watkins or Toney can replace him when he tires.

Kane needs runners alongside him. Southgate has to work out how to achieve that. There are different ways and we might have different opinions on how to do it, but most countries whould have Kane so we need to sort it out within what we have, not replace him with an inferior player.

How about trying to convince Bayern Munich to swap Kane for Watkins. Our captain and first name on the team sheet for me.
    I never suggested replacing Kane, but asking him to move more, knowing that we do have decent impact subs for when he tires. "Finishers" as Curbs likes to say on Charlton TV.
  • edited June 21
    England desperately need someone in midfield who's happy on the ball, can dictate the tempo and spring our attackers. It's a shame England haven't even tried to find that player since the abortive Shelvey experiment under Hodgson.
  • England desperately need someone in midfield who's happy on the ball, can dictate the tempo and spring our attackers. It's a shame England haven't even tried to find that player since the abortive Shelvey experiment under Hodgson.
    I think that player could be Wharton but not sure if he's ready or not. I'm a big TAA fan but him in midfield isn't working, I think it's more to do with the players in front of him but I'd play Wharton in the next match. He makes those simple passes really well that might help us when there's a lack of direct runs which is what TAA is good at picking out
  • fenaddick said:
    England desperately need someone in midfield who's happy on the ball, can dictate the tempo and spring our attackers. It's a shame England haven't even tried to find that player since the abortive Shelvey experiment under Hodgson.
    I think that player could be Wharton but not sure if he's ready or not. I'm a big TAA fan but him in midfield isn't working, I think it's more to do with the players in front of him but I'd play Wharton in the next match. He makes those simple passes really well that might help us when there's a lack of direct runs which is what TAA is good at picking out
    Yes, Trent is great at the Hollywood passes, but doesn't have the experience of actually being a central midfielder, running a game from the centre of the park.
  • Leuth said:
    Also, if there's one player I could teleport into this England squad right now, it's not Grealish, it's Leif Davis
    great shout
  • I also think Lewis Cook has been harshly overlooked, played well at the base of a midfield in the PL all season. Surely was worth a squad place, he'd allow Rice to make those forward runs
  • I was watching some funny spoof videos that are doing the rounds as usual this morning on Facebook etc. I watched the “Kalvin Phillips” interview and assumed it was a spoof. I can’t actually believe he said that. What a complete clown. Wharton, Mainoo and Gallagher must be feeling a million dollars.