Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Denmark v England Euro 2024 - Match Thread

Comments

• The Kalvin Phillips comment is really disrespectful to the rest of the squad.
    But that's just Southgate doing what Southgate does 
    I bet that camp is proper clicky.
    It sums up what we have with the bloke. Most people would see the team not needing a Phillips type player as a positive. The team now has Southgate's DNA, I have been saying it for years. Score a goal, which they can do with the quality of player they have and a mixture of opponents having to be braver and us being less brave and trying to hold on to what we have sorts out the rest. There is a pattern and the tragic thing is people look at our record and say he has been a great manager but fail to acknowledge the quality of players he has and has had at his disposal.

Can England still win the trophy. Yes of course they can, but Southgate makes that less likely rather than more likely. 4 points pretty much means we will progress IMO. I am a believer in picking your form players but I would have made an exception with Grealish. We needed to bring on a player with his qualities yesterday and it is criminal taking Wharton, who I accept is a great prospect, but not him. Grealish is a £100m player who struggled a bit last season because of what Pep wanted him to do to fit into his city side. He is still a £100m player though and he holds up the ball, spots a pass and draws lots of fouls. Southgate is a failed Middlesborough manager FFS!
    This is the accepted viewpoint but imo not really taking into consideration that other teams also have players of equal abilities, the best of which have as many as us.

The English media make out each of our players to be the best in their position in Europe but it’s not really true. Who is? Really? I’ll accept Kyle Walker and maybe Kane. If you want to claim Bellingham then think of whether he has yet proved that internationally. Yet the media make it sound like Kroos, Mbappe and Rodri, Ronaldo, De Bruyne and many others all play for us.
  • edited June 21
    The Kalvin Phillips comment is really disrespectful to the rest of the squad.
    It sums up what we have with the bloke. Most people would see the team not needing a Phillips type player as a positive. The team now has Southgate's DNA, I have been saying it for years. Score a goal, which they can do with the quality of player they have and a mixture of opponents having to be braver and us being less brave and trying to hold on to what we have sorts out the rest. There is a pattern and the tragic thing is people look at our record and say he has been a great manager but fail to acknowledge the quality of players he has and has had at his disposal.

Can England still win the trophy. Yes of course they can, but Southgate makes that less likely rather than more likely. 4 points pretty much means we will progress IMO. I am a believer in picking your form players but I would have made an exception with Grealish. We needed to bring on a player with his qualities yesterday and it is criminal taking Wharton, who I accept is a great prospect, but not him. Grealish is a £100m player who struggled a bit last season because of what Pep wanted him to do to fit into his city side. He is still a £100m player though and he holds up the ball, spots a pass and draws lots of fouls. Southgate is a failed Middlesborough manager FFS!
    This is the accepted viewpoint but imo not really taking into consideration that other teams also have players of equal abilities, the best of which have as many as us.

The English media make out each of our players to be the best in their position in Europe but it’s not really true. Who is? Really? I’ll accept Kyle Walker and maybe Kane. If you want to claim Bellingham then think of whether he has yet proved that internationally. Yet the media make it sound like Kroos, Mbappe and Rodri, Ronaldo, De Bruyne and many others all play for us.
    I do think it's a bit much to be talking about a golden generation of talent but when we're struggling in a game, we're bringing on Bowen and Eze. 

It's hardly the 2002 Brazil squad where you're bringing on Kaka and Juninho. 
  • The Kalvin Phillips comment is really disrespectful to the rest of the squad.

Bellingham - La Liga POTY
    Foden - POTY in England
    Kane - Breaking records over in Germany.

Most teams would want Saka, a lot would want Rice.

We do have very good players.  First thing that's a shame is none of them are a fit, left footed left back.
  • seems a very simple fix to me - go 3 at back, walker right sided centre back, trent at RWB, rice and bellingham in middle with foden in the hole - kane and watkins up top - kane comes short, watkins stays on the shoulder - simple  
  • I like Jarrod Bowen, but it's baffling that he's come off the bench twice while Cole Palmer is yet to play. 
    There's any number of baffling decisions. How has Gordon not got a kick yet when we're crying out for some width on the left? Why did he start Trent again when it obviously didn't work in the first game? 
    Why did he take Foden and Saka off last night when they looked the two most likely to do something but kept Bellingham on who was anonymous? Why did he claim that we're struggling because Kalvin Phillips isn't there?
    He's got form for this..
    The whole of England and their dogs are clamouring for personnel changes, highly obvious personell changes and Southgate refuses to make the change or makes a change but it's completely at odds with everyone else's view.
     He has this obsession with cutting his nose to spite his face. 
    There must be a name for it or something??
    Big nosed palace tosspot?
  • cafctom said:
    I was at the game. The performance was very poor against expectation. Still think that as a country/fanbase we have a habit of massively overreacting / scapegoating when things don’t go 100% according to plan. It’s a 1-1 draw in the group stage FFS, the world hasn’t ended.

What a stadium/city Frankfurt is by the way.

How hot was it inside the ground? I had no way of telling, I was watching with a foreign commentary but it looked cooking with that roof on 
  • Danepak said:
    lol!... Love how chilled the King of Denmark was with Prince William, wasnt sure if he was some random rich bloke
    I think he is, isn’t he just the queen’s husband?
    Thomas Frank was saying it was the King... I'm not too sure based on the Danish Royal Family - Glad to see though that William has left the wife at home with the kids, whilst he's buggered off to the Football

Always knew he was one of us
    I think they changed it to call him “king” but she’s the one in charge and he married in
    No, he recently became the king when his mum (Queen Margrethe) stepped down.
    He met his Aussie wife in a boozer in Sydney during the 2000 Olympics.
    Was it his dad that wanted to be king then @Danepak or have i dreamt all this up?
    Correct, his Dad Prince Henrik wanted to be king and publicly raised his frustration that he couldn’t get this title.
  • Sponsored links:

• 3 poor halves out of 4 isn't an overreaction. It's admitting we're playing terribly and no changes have been made in any of those 3 poor halves that has had a positive impact. 
  • we can still win it !!  :*B)
  • Danepak said:
    Danepak said:
    lol!... Love how chilled the King of Denmark was with Prince William, wasnt sure if he was some random rich bloke
    I think he is, isn’t he just the queen’s husband?
    Thomas Frank was saying it was the King... I'm not too sure based on the Danish Royal Family - Glad to see though that William has left the wife at home with the kids, whilst he's buggered off to the Football

Always knew he was one of us
    I think they changed it to call him “king” but she’s the one in charge and he married in
    No, he recently became the king when his mum (Queen Margrethe) stepped down.
    He met his Aussie wife in a boozer in Sydney during the 2000 Olympics.
    Was it his dad that wanted to be king then @Danepak or have i dreamt all this up?
    Correct, his Dad Prince Henrik wanted to be king and publicly raised his frustration that he couldn’t get this title.

Thanks, I was adamant it was this one for some reason 
  • Carter said:
    cafctom said:
    I was at the game. The performance was very poor against expectation. Still think that as a country/fanbase we have a habit of massively overreacting / scapegoating when things don’t go 100% according to plan. It’s a 1-1 draw in the group stage FFS, the world hasn’t ended.

What a stadium/city Frankfurt is by the way.

How hot was it inside the ground? I had no way of telling, I was watching with a foreign commentary but it looked cooking with that roof on 
    It was warm, but not sweltering. Could see how it could impact the tempo of a match though. 

I was at Georgia v Turkey on Tuesday, which was like a basketball match back and forth. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    seems a very simple fix to me - go 3 at back, walker right sided centre back, trent at RWB, rice and bellingham in middle with foden in the hole - kane and watkins up top - kane comes short, watkins stays on the shoulder - simple  
    Simple in theory but in reality no. Moving to a formation mid-tournament that none of them play for their clubs is not the answer.

For me the answer is much simpler. Trent out, Bellingham drops back a bit, Foden moves inside and Gordon plays on the left. We need more width (which Gordon will provide) and Kane needs runners off him (which Gordon can also provide). Player of the tournament at the U21 Euro's last summer, just had a great season for Newcastle, we're crying out for some width on the left, and Southgate hasn't given him a kick. It's actually incredible.

I also can't believe i'm seeing some people on social media suggesting we should drop Kane, our record goalscorer and a striker who probably 30 of the other 31 nations would want as their centre forward. Thomas Frank was spot on last night, at Spurs he had Son, at Bayern he has Sane and Gnabry, in the last Euro's we had Sterling. So far in this tournament he hasn't had anyone making runs.
    This is how I see it 

I know loads of people love to hate Raheem Stirling but he always showed up for England, such a willing and productive runner and I think we are missing him and his directness. Palmer is clearly only going to get a go if Foden or Bellingham gets injured, Gordon for me is the one who has to come in and give us pace, balance and be a runner going past their man giving Kane options. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    seems a very simple fix to me - go 3 at back, walker right sided centre back, trent at RWB, rice and bellingham in middle with foden in the hole - kane and watkins up top - kane comes short, watkins stays on the shoulder - simple  
    Simple in theory but in reality no. Moving to a formation mid-tournament that none of them play for their clubs is not the answer.

For me the answer is much simpler. Trent out, Bellingham drops back a bit, Foden moves inside and Gordon plays on the left. We need more width (which Gordon will provide) and Kane needs runners off him (which Gordon can also provide). Player of the tournament at the U21 Euro's last summer, just had a great season for Newcastle, we're crying out for some width on the left, and Southgate hasn't given him a kick. It's actually incredible.

I also can't believe i'm seeing some people on social media suggesting we should drop Kane, our record goalscorer and a striker who probably 30 of the other 31 nations would want as their centre forward. Thomas Frank was spot on last night, at Spurs he had Son, at Bayern he has Sane and Gnabry, in the last Euro's we had Sterling. So far in this tournament he hasn't had anyone making runs.
    100% this
    Bellingham is a box to box midfielder 
  • edited June 22
    Why England Were SO Bad Against Denmark

https://youtu.be/AStmH8h3dCs?si=I-O_9sDZ2vXQ-8Tr
  • Good analysis but I suppose what it all boils down to is there may be more than one way to solve the issues but Southgate may have to be a bit braver in some aspects and in others try to get more players playing in their natural positions. Maybe Bellingham can do a good job in the midfield and allow Foden to play in the number 10 role. Maybe as that video stated, Rice needs to have a role like he has at Arsenal. Kane needs runners around him and that has to be resolved. We have been toothless on the left and that needs addressing. Southgate is paid enough and has a team of analysts to solve these issues as they have become so apparent, even people who know little about football have spotted them. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 22
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8d-aanvFKL/?igsh=MTAyem11Znk1NXVydw==

Just had to check that this wasn't AI. Fucking hell, how is this man still in a job? Aparrently we haven't been great as he doesn't have Kalvin Phillips or Henderson available
  • CAFCsayer said:

Just had to check that this wasn't AI. Fucking hell, how is this man still in a job? Aparrently we haven't been great as he doesn't have Kalvin Phillips or Henderson available
    If he really wanted them there that much he could've picked them, it's not as if they retired or died.
  • edited June 22
    CAFCsayer said:

If he really wanted them there that much he could've picked them, it's not as if they retired or died.
    I predicted this. Southgate will be full of “well I picked the players you wanted..” after England crash and burn. He’s getting in early!
  • That fourfourtwo video was a depressing watch. 
  • CAFCsayer said:

I predicted this. Southgate will be full of “well I picked the players you wanted..” after England crash and burn. He’s getting in early!
    Exactly that. Southgate has made it so personal between himself and the fans. Always has
  • Time to sum up this thread.

Shit.
  • CAFCsayer said:

I have got to the stage now where I’m hoping the players don’t manage to get the tosser through to another semi final and the FA are stupid enough to let him stay until the WC. One dimensional ! And absolutely no clue ! 
  • CAFCsayer said:

Exactly that. Southgate has made it so personal between himself and the fans. Always has
    Why do fans get so tetchy when they get comments fired back at them, or even when they feel something is directed back at them?

Never known such a childish playground attitude of: "Can give it, but cant take it"
  • I’m back out there for the game on Tuesday. Hoping that because we were so bad on Thursday, that we will see an improved performance by a changed line up. 

Imagine team news will start to be leaked from Sunday onwards.
  • Here’s an idea Gareth, how about playing players in their natural position…. Outrageous idea I know .