Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlie Methven and Gavin Carter at Bromley Addicks

Comments

• sam3110 said:
    fenaddick said:
    I really wish I could attend, but distance and health won't allow me to.
    I would like to ask, "leaving soundbites and platitudes to one side, what is the aim for this ownership, what are the milestones and what happens if they are not achieved in a reasonable timescale?"
    I don't want to hear about 5 yr plan nonsense, this club won't grow until we're out of this Division, and that needs to happen this/next season. Do they realise crowds will ONLY come back when we're playing attractive and winning football....fan zones won't cut it!
    Will anybody, maybe not in so many words ask this and follow up with secondary questions?
    Thanks 
    I answered above. Sustainsble growth within SCMP & we have the 4th largest playing budget.

We need to increase revenues and are by bringing back in house hospitality & the retail.
    I can’t recall the figures but revenue is up possibly 20% (did he say) and costs have been reduced by retaining less academy players that we don’t think will “make the grade” as one example.
    Cutting costs in the academy, now where did I see this written down before they took over? 

Funny that they denied it at the time but open to admitting it now. Even if they're attempting to justify. 

CM actually said they had cut costs in the academy as the previous regime had kept a bloated U21 squad of players unlikely ever to make it,  by reducing that number of players they could then focus more effort, attention, coaching and money on those that were left and whom they felt had the best chance of progression.

He was strong in his view the owners wanted to double down on the academy with a goal of making it the 5th most productive in the country (currently ranked 8-10th in productivity each year).

So his point was money was previously poorly spent and is now being more targeted and better spent.
    I couldn't disagree with any of what he said in the academy.

He can dress it up however he likes. 

The fact is that he has reduced the budget for the academy. After denying they would do so before they took over. 
    Has he? If he talked about hiring new coaches is it not possible that they’ve just redeployed the budget in a different way? 
    "I can’t recall the figures but revenue is up possibly 20% (did he say) and costs have been reduced by retaining less academy players that we don’t think will “make the grade” as one example."

"CM actually said they had cut costs in the academy as the previous regime had kept a bloated U21 squad of players unlikely ever to make it,  by reducing that number of players they could then focus more effort, attention, coaching and money on those that were left and whom they felt had the best chance of progression."

I don't know why you're trying to defend him when it's clear from the implication of what he said that total costs have been cut. 

If he was spending more or redeploying the funds, that's what he would've said. He didn't. He said 'savings' and 'cut costs'. 
    Making a mountain out of a molehill, as per.

I couldn't give a toss if we've cut a few youngsters that will never make it in professional football if it means we're focused on the better players with more 1 on 1 time with coaches, and ultimately those players have a better success rate of breaking into the first team and making an impact.

It's very different to closing the entire academy down, which is what you're trying to allude to and "win" internet points with
    I'm 'alluding' to them denying the fact that they would make cuts to the academy before they took over....with them cutting the academy since they've taken over. 

Justify it as you wish. 
  • 27 first team players on our books currently, apparently, we’re going to need a bigger dressing room!
  • Scoham said:
    sam3110 said:
    fenaddick said:
    I really wish I could attend, but distance and health won't allow me to.
    I would like to ask, "leaving soundbites and platitudes to one side, what is the aim for this ownership, what are the milestones and what happens if they are not achieved in a reasonable timescale?"
    I don't want to hear about 5 yr plan nonsense, this club won't grow until we're out of this Division, and that needs to happen this/next season. Do they realise crowds will ONLY come back when we're playing attractive and winning football....fan zones won't cut it!
    Will anybody, maybe not in so many words ask this and follow up with secondary questions?
    Thanks 
    I answered above. Sustainsble growth within SCMP & we have the 4th largest playing budget.

We need to increase revenues and are by bringing back in house hospitality & the retail.
    I can’t recall the figures but revenue is up possibly 20% (did he say) and costs have been reduced by retaining less academy players that we don’t think will “make the grade” as one example.
    Cutting costs in the academy, now where did I see this written down before they took over? 

Funny that they denied it at the time but open to admitting it now. Even if they're attempting to justify. 

CM actually said they had cut costs in the academy as the previous regime had kept a bloated U21 squad of players unlikely ever to make it,  by reducing that number of players they could then focus more effort, attention, coaching and money on those that were left and whom they felt had the best chance of progression.

He was strong in his view the owners wanted to double down on the academy with a goal of making it the 5th most productive in the country (currently ranked 8-10th in productivity each year).

So his point was money was previously poorly spent and is now being more targeted and better spent.
    I couldn't disagree with any of what he said in the academy.

He can dress it up however he likes. 

The fact is that he has reduced the budget for the academy. After denying they would do so before they took over. 
    Has he? If he talked about hiring new coaches is it not possible that they’ve just redeployed the budget in a different way? 
    "I can’t recall the figures but revenue is up possibly 20% (did he say) and costs have been reduced by retaining less academy players that we don’t think will “make the grade” as one example."

"CM actually said they had cut costs in the academy as the previous regime had kept a bloated U21 squad of players unlikely ever to make it,  by reducing that number of players they could then focus more effort, attention, coaching and money on those that were left and whom they felt had the best chance of progression."

I don't know why you're trying to defend him when it's clear from the implication of what he said that total costs have been cut. 

If he was spending more or redeploying the funds, that's what he would've said. He didn't. He said 'savings' and 'cut costs'. 
    Making a mountain out of a molehill, as per.

I couldn't give a toss if we've cut a few youngsters that will never make it in professional football if it means we're focused on the better players with more 1 on 1 time with coaches, and ultimately those players have a better success rate of breaking into the first team and making an impact.

It's very different to closing the entire academy down, which is what you're trying to allude to and "win" internet points with
    I'm 'alluding' to them denying the fact that they would make cuts to the academy before they took over....with them cutting the academy since they've taken over. 

Justify it as you wish. 
    I get your point that they said they wouldn’t make cuts and now have, therefore they’ve lied.

However, how big should an u21 squad be? Not saying they’ve got it right, but the club hasn’t been run well for years and looking back some u21 squads had 25+ players which from the outside feels far too many.

If money is being spend badly they should make changes, whether that’s no longer spending money where it shouldn’t be, or changing how that money is spent in that area.
    Also our U21s are top of their league so it doesn't really seem to be holding them back.

I don't really see an issue with cutting a few players from a bloated squad and focusing more attention on the better players who have more chance to make it.
    Fully agreed 
  • Another thing I'm not sure has been mentioned, is a chap infronf of me asked about Roland's mindset towards us and if he has a grudge. 

Gavin Carter said he doesn't think the protests helped, which I wasn't really a fan of hearing. The fans who travelled to Belgium and persisted with protests played a crucial part in wanting Roland to move the club on I imagine. 

I took that again, as a way of using an excuse of not buying the Valley. Roland is a greedy business man, he's quoted us a price before, if we play the waiting game, and the club is inherited by his family, they may be even worse than him. Sometimes it's better the devil you know.

I actually came away quite concerned how they've distanced themselves from purchasing the Valley. It sounds crucial as part of their revenue plans, but they seem to be relying solely on a fair stadium rent. This plan would be fine, if they went for broke for promotion, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Again maybe I've read it wrong, just my view. My gut tells me right now, this group of owners will be looking to move the club on within the next 5 years, while keeping the club fairly stationary. Hope I'm very wrong. 
    You might want to revise that figure if we're still in division 3 in 18 months time.
    Carter is talking rubbish if he thinks the protests have any connection to Dushitelet's mindset.
    Carter may well be right.
    it's a 50/50 call for me as to whether Duchatelet holds a grudge, even if it's a small one.
    Let's be honest he's hardly likely to be doing us a favour is he.
    Disappointing If Carter said that, although maybe he didn't mean it as a criticism.

it’s been misinterpreted a little. It was asked whether it was felt Roland held a grudge, and he agreed, said he thinks he probably does. Which I suspect most of us thinks is the case. 

Thinking that Roland holds a grudge and thinking that the protest activity was wrong / counterproductive are two entirely seperate things.

Carter I find pretty impressive tbh. If I'm reading him right then he very much appears a stand-up guy who wants the club to do well for genuine reasons. 

It was noticeable the couple of times Charlie didn’t like a question being asked (he’s a body language readers dream) and gave an answer that wasn’t fully addressing the question, Carter then come in and offered something much more genuine. Just my take. 
    I agree and i think Roland reaped what he sowed. Protests were a response to his mismanagement. He was already failing and would have continued to fail, which is what he really can’t handle. Before the protests he blamed the comms staff and Chris Powell. If it hadn’t been protests it would have been something or someone else.
    The reason we found ourselves inconveniently demonstrating in Belgium is because he refused/failed to materialise in any way to face up with the fans here in The UK.
    We were left little choice than to take our grievances to his front door…….if not to his face.
    He brought the Belgian demos entirely upon himself….stupid Fleming.🤨
  • Sponsored links:

• Isn't Rodwell Chairman?

Not sure CM was suggesting a Reynolds style owner as the question was about Wrexham having Delta Airlines as a sponsor and did we need to aim for similar but we shall see.
  • https://www.charltonafc.com/staff

There is a vice Chairman but no Chairman
  • sam3110 said:
    They'll probably roll out Dave fucking Berry
    Or Cheryl Baker.
  • Is this just someone else to draw a fee/wage?
  • Wel’ll end up with John Major boring , dull and grey (like me) 
    The only thing grey about Morts is his beard.
  • sam3110 said:
    Better than Jim Davidson!
  • fenaddick said:
    sam3110 said:
    Better than Jim Davidson!
    Anybody'd better than Davidson
  • Sponsored links:

• Let’s start the petition now, Steve Davis for Chairman!
  • fenaddick said:
    Let’s start the petition now, Steve Davis for Chairman!
    It will be appropriate to our boring football 😁
  • sam3110 said:
    Or Cheryl Baker.They will have to make their mind up

You into your curries n'all?
  • Dizzle said:
    CM seemed excited by talk of new revenue streams such as Wrexham have regenerated through Netflix.

CM is the only person with media profile from "Sunderland till I die" and his taste in  musical anthems

So Charlie its time to "do the decent thing" and push yourself forward.........

How about another Netflix series...........no you're not keen?

Dragons Den?

Come Dine with me?

Strictly?

Love Island?

When Charlie was talking about Wrexham having Reynolds as a face and Birmingham having Brady as a face, he hinted that they were working on something that would be revealed in the next week or two. That was intriguing.
    I know someone they were talking to. Well known sporting name but can’t name as things might have changed. Interesting that the Chairman roll is vacant.

Was at the game today.  Just saying....
  • sam3110 said:
    Or Cheryl Baker.
    They better speed it up.
  • Good day for Gavin Carter. He picked up fifty nicker in the Valley Gold draw. That can get lobbed into January's transfer kitty. 😀
  • Dizzle said:
    CM seemed excited by talk of new revenue streams such as Wrexham have regenerated through Netflix.

CM is the only person with media profile from "Sunderland till I die" and his taste in  musical anthems

So Charlie its time to "do the decent thing" and push yourself forward.........

How about another Netflix series...........no you're not keen?

Dragons Den?

Come Dine with me?

Strictly?

Love Island?

When Charlie was talking about Wrexham having Reynolds as a face and Birmingham having Brady as a face, he hinted that they were working on something that would be revealed in the next week or two. That was intriguing.
    I know someone they were talking to. Well known sporting name but can’t name as things might have changed. Interesting that the Chairman roll is vacant.

• Wasn’t Seb Coe mentioned before? Dont think he has the glamour of Reynolds and Brady?