Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlie Methven and Gavin Carter at Bromley Addicks

Comments

• Thanks for such a comprehensive write up @Henry Irving, very generous and collaborative spirit on display there 😉. 
    If you could pin things on here as you can on Twitter profiles, I'd suggest it should be this comment from CM:

"The EFL provide us with all the other teams budgets in October so we'll know for sure than but based on previous figures we're 4th in first team budget and 5th in wages."
    Still curious what the definition of ‘budget’ is in this context. 

Their forecast for the coming season on some key metrics or actual /management accounts for last season or something else?

Also not sure why it’s shared or how it is used. 

Interesting regardless. 
    I know something about this. I've mentioned this before so apologies to others who've read it before! 

A few years back when I was on the Trust board I went to interview Erik Samuelson, the AFCW fan who was a finance bod and then CEO. He told me about it. The EFL clubs had agreed to share it, but only by division. He explained that it was very useful to set his own player wage budget. It helped them set a budget that would be 4th lowest in the division (then L1) and gave the manager a big incentive to finish 5th bottom. He turned his laptop screen towards me for a nano-second, just eneough for me to see it existed.

But that was I think 8 years ago, and I couldn't remember more details of how it was done, and now CM has filled in the gaps. It is basically the operating budget they submit, and it sounds like their cost-line descriptions are agreed for consistency. The clubs are anonymised but CEO's can guess. Especially this year for club no.1. 

Now obviously clubs have to set their budgets for the coming season before this comes out so they use the previous season's data, making their own guesses about the changes based on who was promoted/relegated, and any other info such as new splashy ownership (or new distress, e.g.Reading).

I think it's an excellent idea myself.
    Thank you. 

So to be clear each club shares its actual from last season on some pre defined categories / basis of calculation?

I think it's the budget for the current season that is shared in October
    So you are saying it’s their forecast spend for the current season?
    Yes, the budget. Similar to whát nearly all businesses produce. 

Got it. So we learn after the event (October) how our budget/forecast compares to other teams. 

And the reason CM says we are 4th (?) biggest spenders is because we assume this year will be similar to last year ?

But I guess at some point a team will spend more or less than previously. 
  • fenaddick said:
    Let’s start the petition now, Steve Davis for Chairman!
    I'm running 3 days late so it's probably been mentioned a few times, Steve Davies is an Orient supporter
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    fenaddick said:
    Watch the video and he's just stood next to Tracey Leaburn clapping the players off until A Mitchell and Aneke come by and give him a hug, it's really not a big deal and I'd much rather our players know the higher ups than have no idea who they are.
    Players do not need to know the directors imo, they are of no importance to a player.
    Yeah because it's a well known fact that clubs where Directors / Owners / Senior management have no connections to the playing staff whatsoever, are that much more successful
    Let's give it two years and continue this conversation.

I do take your point as an aside.
    Lol, okay
    Gribb's scared of the mighty Elf.
    🤣
    Why scared mate?
    Joking mate 
    Elfs is tiny. 
    Private joke between him and me.
  • edited October 9
    Thanks for such a comprehensive write up @Henry Irving, very generous and collaborative spirit on display there 😉. 
    If you could pin things on here as you can on Twitter profiles, I'd suggest it should be this comment from CM:

"The EFL provide us with all the other teams budgets in October so we'll know for sure than but based on previous figures we're 4th in first team budget and 5th in wages."
    Still curious what the definition of ‘budget’ is in this context. 

Their forecast for the coming season on some key metrics or actual /management accounts for last season or something else?

Also not sure why it’s shared or how it is used. 

Interesting regardless. 
    I know something about this. I've mentioned this before so apologies to others who've read it before! 

A few years back when I was on the Trust board I went to interview Erik Samuelson, the AFCW fan who was a finance bod and then CEO. He told me about it. The EFL clubs had agreed to share it, but only by division. He explained that it was very useful to set his own player wage budget. It helped them set a budget that would be 4th lowest in the division (then L1) and gave the manager a big incentive to finish 5th bottom. He turned his laptop screen towards me for a nano-second, just eneough for me to see it existed.

But that was I think 8 years ago, and I couldn't remember more details of how it was done, and now CM has filled in the gaps. It is basically the operating budget they submit, and it sounds like their cost-line descriptions are agreed for consistency. The clubs are anonymised but CEO's can guess. Especially this year for club no.1. 

Now obviously clubs have to set their budgets for the coming season before this comes out so they use the previous season's data, making their own guesses about the changes based on who was promoted/relegated, and any other info such as new splashy ownership (or new distress, e.g.Reading).

I think it's an excellent idea myself.
    Thank you. 

So to be clear each club shares its actual from last season on some pre defined categories / basis of calculation?

I think it's the budget for the current season that is shared in October
    So you are saying it’s their forecast spend for the current season?
    Yes, the budget. Similar to whát nearly all businesses produce. 

Got it. So we learn after the event (October) how our budget/forecast compares to other teams. 

And the reason CM says we are 4th (?) biggest spenders is because we assume this year will be similar to last year ?

But I guess at some point a team will spend more or less than previously. 
    He said they are estimating 4th biggest now but will know for sure in October when they get the official figures from the EFL.

Of course, if Liverpool sell Gomez our numbers might change and so might the budget at other clubs but for now it's an indication of where we are compared to other lge 1 clubs.
  • fenaddick said:
    Watch the video and he's just stood next to Tracey Leaburn clapping the players off until A Mitchell and Aneke come by and give him a hug, it's really not a big deal and I'd much rather our players know the higher ups than have no idea who they are.
    Players do not need to know the directors imo, they are of no importance to a player.
    ***Edit, wtf is he on the pitch? Good grief.
    Tell that to the Wrexham lot... 
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    fenaddick said:
    Yeah because it's a well known fact that clubs where Directors / Owners / Senior management have no connections to the playing staff whatsoever, are that much more successful

Lol, okay
    🤣
    Why scared mate?
    Joking mate 
    Elfs is tiny. 
    Poor old @Gribbo
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    fenaddick said:

Lol, okay
    🤣
    Why scared mate?
    Joking mate 
    Elfs is tiny. 
    Poor old Gribbo
    Yeah, silly old me 
  • Sponsored links:

• J BLOCK said:
    Love that CM was on the pitch. 
    Out of interest, why? 

He described himself two days earlier as not getting involved in any way on the football side, he was ‘just the budgets guy’  
     I think he meant on major football decisions. He's got 'skin in the game' apparently.  We can forgive him for a little jubilation can't we?

Or are we saying he should be confined to the office at all times?

When did we become so hard nosed? ;-)
    I didn’t offer an opinion, I just asked to understand why someone loved it that he run on the pitch
  • edited October 9
    Passion v Attention - to be discussed in the next xx pages of this thread.
  • Rothko said:
    fenaddick said:
    Rothko said:
    what video? 
    It's at the end of this, about 2:17 https://x.com/CAFCofficial/status/1843587531280929066
    huge load of so fucking what 
    Agree think Methven should stay off the pitch but I liked fenaddicks post because I hadn't seen the video. (Not that you have remarked on people liking his post  :D)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 9
    I think that CM will definitely get excited and pleased when we win, he has shares in the club and if we are successful and get promoted, especially if by some miracle we get into the Premier League, his shares will be worth a lot more.
    His heart may be with Oxford but his wallet is with us
    Not that I blame him
  • We're definitely a tough old crowd. Unless you're an ex player, returning to help take points off us, then you have to show them the utmost respect and possible even give them their own round of applause 
  • edited October 9
    No view, but if you didn’t run down the stairs at the final whistle you!d struggle get through the crowd coming up.
  • AndyG said:
    😂 the bloke just can’t win with our fans ! Shows a bit of passion and gets slated ! If he sat motionless seemingly not caring then he is obviously an Oxford mole 😂 😂 😂 
    Yes, but we need to remember it's only a few people that have said it.
  • Rothko said:
    fenaddick said:
    Rothko said:
    what video? 
    It's at the end of this, about 2:17 https://x.com/CAFCofficial/status/1843587531280929066
    Agree think Methven should stay off the pitch but I liked fenaddicks post because I hadn't seen the video. (Not that you have remarked on people liking his post  :D)
    Can someone please verify that Charley Methven was actually ‘on’ the pitch…..I thought he was on the pitch surround, next to the tunnel?
  • Rothko said:
    fenaddick said:
    Rothko said:
    what video? 
    Can someone please verify that Charley Methven was actually ‘on’ the pitch…..I thought he was on the pitch surround, next to the tunnel?
    Definately on the pitch, see the video.
  • I’d feel like I was cheating celebrating publicly any other clubs success , I want failure everywhere but Charlton 
    you gotta fake it to make it