Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next England Manager

edited April 2012 in General Charlton
West Bromwich Albion have today granted permission for The FA to speak with Roy Hodgson regarding the position of England Manager.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/NewsAndFeatures/2012/statement-roy-hodgson-300412.aspx

Comments

• Good. They aren't taking SCP
  • Doesn't shock me as Harry has blown it since his nervous breakdown........................
  • Only manager to be approached, excellent choice for me
  • Interesting. Surely he'd take it
  • Hodgson Zzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • I'm sure he's a nice man but I'm also sure he will join a long line of failures doing the job. We don't have players good enough.
  • England are the Fulham and WBA of international football, so can see him doing well with what we've got
  • His problem will be his image, unfortunately. The press, and maybe the public, are generally more forgiving of someone a bit more charismatic, I suspect.
  • His problem will be his image, unfortunately. The press, and maybe the public, are generally more forgiving of someone a bit more charismatic, I suspect.
    Agree.
  • Was going to say something about him failing at Liverpool and never getting the players on side.

But then I remembered Liverpool are shit and don't have any England players anyway :-) apart from the 1 who's always injured.
  • Sponsored links:

• *cough cough* Guardiola on a free...
  • It's a farce - Pearce should be allowed to get on with it at this late stage.
  • He's got tournament experience (Switzerland 1994) which is more than Redknapp. Good choice. Temporary appointment with Pearce thru the summer, let the dust settle and make a proper choice.
  • Guardiola isn't available, he wants a break.

It's a good choice if Woy accepts, the press however, especially 'Arrys mates, will be vile
  • I'm on record elsewhere on here as Woy being the best available English manager for the job and pleased if this comes to fruition. Decent man, internationally experienced with a good record pretty much everywhere he's been and was very harshly treated by the scousers.

No doubt Harry's mates in the press are already sharpening their pencils in preparation of us bombing out early in the Euors which would have happened whoever was the manager. Oh to be a fly on the wall in Harry's house when that news broke...
  • I'm on record elsewhere on here as Woy being the best available English manager for the job and pleased if this comes to fruition. Decent man, internationally experienced with a good record pretty much everywhere he's been and was very harshly treated by the scousers.

No doubt Harry's mates in the press are already sharpening their pencils in preparation of us bombing out early in the Euors which would have happened whoever was the manager. Oh to be a fly on the wall in Harry's house when that news broke...
    Absolutely agree. Just hope he doesn't get vilified when we fail again.

• edited April 2012
    Maybe the FA deemed it essential to have a manager that can read `n' write...

Seriously though, an excellent choice for me also. Can't see him not taking it and good luck to the fella.
  • I agree he is a good choice but it is very late in the day to bring a new manager in.
  • If he can get the egos onside he might do ok but I can't see it.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2012
    We don't want a charismatic crowd pleaser who will bend over backwards to try and please them all, yet only to end up as a figure of fun, a Shakesperian man of tragedy, despised, reviled and laughed at by everyone ...... we need a manager who will just do the best job he possibly can, a man who will false promise nothing and achieve more than we expect of him. Until recently I thought Redknapp was the man .. now .. I don't think so .. the man I would choose is .... just not available .. so it would have to be nice Uncle Roy. However, I fear that even a man as seemingly down to earth as Roy would be corrupted by the majesty of the position.
  • Safe choice who will tow the line and not embarrass the fa with any dodgy personal or business baggage. Doesn't seem to be an inspirational choice or from the top draw of managers.
  • If its down to having an English manager I'd rather have Hodgson than media darling Harry because of his international experience and not just relying on buying players BUT not the most inspiring person I guess for the fans and press.

• Who would have thought a former Ebbsfleet Gravesend & Northfleet player would become England manager?
  • The next England manager should be the best man for the job even if he is not english
  • Whether Harry is bent or not (and a court found him not guilty), he's the highest placed manager in the Premiere League currently
  • edited April 2012
    Hodgson will ruin his career if he takes the England job.

I felt pretty disgraced the last world cup when we supposedly had a good squad who failed to beat the likes of Algeria and embarrassed ourselves against Germany. When we have the likes of Rooney with an attitude like this, we have got no chance in any future tournaments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5cIM3aBW0U

I missed the times like Euro 96 when we had real character and passion in the team. I can remember Paul Gassgoine sobbing because we lost on penalties under Bobby Robson. After the Germany game, the players looked like they were relieved that it was over and they can look forward to their holiday's.

Quiet frankly, I lost interest supporting England because the players look so dis-interested so why should we be intersted? Until we can see a bit of fight in the England team I won't be looking to buy a ticket to see them at Wembley or elsewhere.
  • The reality is the list of english candidates for the job is (was) very poor. I'm thinking hodgson for next two tournaments and then pearce takes over.
  • Whether Harry is bent or not (and a court found him not guilty), he's the highest placed manager in the Premiere League currently
    But don't you think that after the court case and his heart problems he's shot to bits at the moment? Think the man needs a bloody good rest over the summer, not piling on the pressure of chasing an impossible dream expectation of the nation. The proof is in Spurs results since his case finished.......................