Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton terrace legends. Where are they now ?

My brother and I have both been going to Charlton since 1976. The 6 2 drubbing of Southampton. I was hooked. Back in those days as a kid I would listen to my dad and uncles talk about other fans and give them all nicknames. So I'll kick this one off.
Old Jean the autograph hunter.
Denis with the glasses.
Are they still alive ?
Do they still go ?

Comments

• I hadn't thought about Dennis with the black-framed spex for decades - didn't he have a limp, from polio perhaps? Another stalwart from the 1970s was a rather attractive peroxide-blonde bovver girl who used to drink in the pub on the opposite corner of the Woolwich Road from the Antigallican. What was her name? And what was the pub called?
  • The Waterman Arms
  • The pub was the waterman arms. The woman ? Did she wear denim. Sure I saw her recently. In bartrams. She was a Charlton version of Suzi Quattro. Not.
  • Funnily enough I remember Denis right up the front when forest tried to take the covered end in the 70s. He was stuck in the middle of both firms. Not intentional. Absolutely hilarious. I used to love sitting near him on the train at away games. He would be sat with his curly haired mate with their carrier bags.
  • What ever happened to the really tall bloke. Must have been 6.7, big fat dopey f**ker. Fancied himself as a goalkeeper.
  • What era ? Sounds like me lol
  • How about old Jean. Is she still about. She was old in the 1980s. Could never put an age on her.
  • What ever happened to the really tall bloke. Must have been 6.7, big fat dopey f**ker. Fancied himself as a goalkeeper.

Big Rog Parnell fancied himself as a keeper but he certainly wasn't dopey, more of a gentle giant.
  • How about the Maltese fella. Used to wear a beret. Sticky with a Tash. Does he still go?
  • Stocky not sticky.
  • Sponsored links:

• markmc68 said:

How about the Maltese fella. Used to wear a beret. Sticky with a Tash. Does he still go?

Maltese Gerry, now living in ?

Malta.
  • markmc68 said:

How about the Maltese fella. Used to wear a beret. Sticky with a Tash. Does he still go?

He's still around, i saw him in Greenwich recently, not seen him at the Valley for a while though.

Graham Tutt ?

• shirty5 said:

The Waterman Arms

markmc68 said:

The pub was the waterman arms. The woman ? Did she wear denim. Sure I saw her recently. In bartrams. She was a Charlton version of Suzi Quattro. Not.

That's it - the Waterman's Arms. And I think you've got her, markmc68 - always in denim, black boots, slim, height about five-eight or nine, feathered peroxide barnet. I see what you mean about Suzi Quatro! I bumped into her once in the 1970s, away from football - we sat on a train together from Charing Cross: she had a warm personality and was a most attractive girl. Ah, as the American writer Charles Bukowski used to lament: "Youth, sonofabitch, where did you go?"

• After the games back in the late 70s there used to be a girl who used to wait behind for the players to come out and collect autographs. I was about 11 or 12 at the time. But clearly remember her being tiny but with a great rack. And it wasn't Jean.
  • markmc68 said:

Yes, I remember him! Was it a beret, or a tam o' shanter? And gold chains around his neck.

• The peroxide blonde is still about. I think she may act as a carer. She still wears the same clobber. She must be knocking 60.
  • edited September 2013
    I knew Dennis Burgess well and he stopped going regularly when we got relegated to L1 four years ago.

I saw him at a couple of the football for a fiver games and I leant him my season ticket a couple of times since then,but I have not seen him for a couple of years now.He was very toned down in his approach in recent times and didn't offer to lend his glasses to Referees anymore. Visually he now looks more like Fabio Capello than Elvis Costello.

I'm sure I saw Jean Buckland last season collecting autographs and it was nice to see SCP treat her with as much respect as I remember her old favourite player Phil Warman did all those years ago.
  • markmc68 said:

Funnily enough I remember Denis right up the front when forest tried to take the covered end in the 70s. He was stuck in the middle of both firms. Not intentional. Absolutely hilarious. I used to love sitting near him on the train at away games. He would be sat with his curly haired mate with their carrier bags.

Dennis was always on the move, even with his heavy limp, walking up, down and across the terraces in the Covered End. You'd queue for a burger at half-time, and he would be there too, smiling and joking and bantering with everyone. I remember him as a regular during our stay at Sell-Out Park, too.

• Sponsored links:

• That's right. Phil warman and I think killer were her favourites.
  • markmc68 said:

The peroxide blonde is still about. I think she may act as a carer. She still wears the same clobber. She must be knocking 60.

I'm knocking on 60 myself. The girl I remember in my early 20s is now is a carer, is she? Hmm - could be useful. Would you put in a good word for me?

• I reckon she would eat you alive. She still has the same figure that she had back in the day.
    Back to Denis. I once remember at a game he was going absolutely mental and everyone around us started singing Denis is our leader. It made his day.
  • edited September 2013
    Dennis is our leader was a regular chant back in the day , a bit like songs about Seb are sung now.

My favourite memory of it was at Loftus Road in the early 80's when we were being stuffed on the pitch and he led the conga around the away end.
  • I used to like a dark haired girl who used to stand down the front during our time at selhurst. Halfway line in the Arthur Waite. I saw her at a cup game a couple of seasons ago sitting near the front in between the tunnel and dugout. She looked like she had aged well. She used to stand with her boyfriend. The football was so shite in those days that I used to spend much of the game rolling my eyes at her. Wouldn't mind a second chance. Who is she ?
  • markmc68 said:

Funnily enough I remember Denis right up the front when forest tried to take the covered end in the 70s. He was stuck in the middle of both firms. Not intentional. Absolutely hilarious. I used to love sitting near him on the train at away games. He would be sat with his curly haired mate with their carrier bags.

His curly haired mate I think would be John Elliott.He still goes regularly and I see him in the pub before most Saturday home matches.

• markmc68 said:

I reckon she would eat you alive. She still has the same figure that she had back in the day.
    Back to Denis. I once remember at a game he was going absolutely mental and everyone around us started singing Denis is our leader. It made his day.

I think I'd enjoy being eaten alive by her - yes, I can well imagine she's still slim and fit. A few months ago on here while reminiscing the Battle of Stamford Bridge in 1988, someone recalled a Charlton bovver girl taking out two Chelsea fans in our end with smart left hooks. Who was she?

Dennis Burgess as Elvis Costello - spot on. Dennis had the voice too, loud and strong.

• That was pittsy bird. Nancy spungeon look a like.
  • Remember her kicking off at plough lane. She lamped some geezer and knocked him spark out.
  • markmc68 said:

That was pittsy bird. Nancy spungeon look a like.

markmc68 said:

Remember her kicking off at plough lane. She lamped some geezer and knocked him spark out.

Excellent! That's what we need NOW. She would liven up the stiffs in the West Stand, sipping from their thermos flasks and snoozing under their blankets. Bring her on, I say!