Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

(Belgian) Bob Peeters *CONFIRMED New Head Coach (pg 37)*

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Though I will back Peeters (see earlier post), I am concerned too. OK, RD & Chris did not share the same vision, and RD didn't trust Chris's judgement on the new players brought in.

But Riga presumably DOES share the vision, and because of that & the fact he was known/trusted by RD, it also meant that Riga's view that Thuram etc were not good enough was accepted by RD and the network scouts. At that point we all seemed to be in a good place, and I couldn't see any argument for not continuing with Riga. Saying "well Peeters is even better" cuts no ice with me, at some point you have to value continuity and team/club spirit.

RD obviously disagrees, let's hope he's right....
  • Options
    Bob Peeters today puts his signature to the English team Charlton, reports the latest news. A week ago, the two parties arrived at an agreement, but only now the deal is completed.
    At Charlton, the 40-year-old Belgian coach, who played as a player in the Netherlands Roda JC and Vitesse, the successor to José Riga. Waasland-Beveren received by registered letter of the contract termination Peeters and get a leg up fee.

'll Soon introduce their new coach. Lokeren Harm van Veldhoven's top candidate.
  • Options
    A leg up fee ;)
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Nug said:

What's so wrong with appointing a British coach?

Yes, because the last 4 British coaches we have appointed have all been such great successes. Time for a change.
    Yep Powell was sh*t wasn't he? Some rewriting of history going on here lately.
    1 out of 4? A 25% success rate? Yep, THAT'S reallllllly encouraging...
    Except that Powell's record was 59 wins in 145 matches. That's a 40.7% success rate and places him all time third* behind Mike Bailey and the great Jimmy Seed. As Nug say's, there's definitely some re-writing of history going on here lately.

*Out of Charlton managers who've had at least one full season's worth games.
  • Options
    If Bob doesn't get the job, may I just be the first to say: Don't be blue, Peeters.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, never let the facts get in the way of a good argument, eh.
  • Options
    NugNug
    edited May 2014

Stig said:

thenewbie said:

Nug said:

Yes, because the last 4 British coaches we have appointed have all been such great successes. Time for a change.
    Except that Powell's record was 59 wins in 145 matches. That's a 40.7% success rate and places him all time third* behind Mike Bailey and the great Jimmy Seed. As Nug say's, there's definitely some re-writing of history going on here lately.

I hate all these 'facts and figures' as they are often used as a stick to beat with.

For example, a lot of Powell's wins would have come in a very easy League 1....Curbishley further down the list spent many years trying to win against very good Premiership teams....Is / Was Powell a better manager?

I would suggest that by using facts and figures, you are also attempting to 're-write history' ?!
    Comparing him with Curbishley? Curbs was given time to build up that that squad, was relegated but given the chance again and ended up a legend. Dowie and Pards were given loads of money and pi$$ed it away. Powell was given a reasonable League 1 budget and bought all League One and below players. Regardless of what the division is, the quality of players at your disposal equates to the league you are in, so no League 1 isn't easier if you have League 1 players.
  • Options
    Stig said:

unbelievable

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Think AFKA has made excellent points about how utterly bizarre the appointment of this Peeters would be. On the face of it there is no justification. Given that Peeters has such a poor track record as a manager RD has an obligation to fully explain and justify his decision. To not do so is an insult to the fans. As fans we have every right to express negative views about this issue. The idea that because RD is a successful businessman and therefore knows what is best for Charlton, and the fans should support whatever decisions he makes is ludicrously outdated.
  • Options
    Stig said:

But facts can be manipulated. Fact is that Powell was able to cherry pick the very best players from League 1 to mount an assault on the league, Curbishley was not given the chance to cherry pick from the Prem.

Nug said:

Stig said:

thenewbie said:

Nug said:

I hate all these 'facts and figures' as they are often used as a stick to beat with.

For example, a lot of Powell's wins would have come in a very easy League 1....Curbishley further down the list spent many years trying to win against very good Premiership teams....Is / Was Powell a better manager?

I would suggest that by using facts and figures, you are also attempting to 're-write history' ?!
    Comparing him with Curbishley? Curbs was given time to build up that that squad, was relegated but given the chance again and ended up a legend. Dowie and Pards were given loads of money and pi$$ed it away. Powell was given a reasonable League 1 budget and bought all League One and below players. Regardless of what the division is, the quality of players at your disposal equates to the league you are in, so no League 1 isn't easier if you have League 1 players.
    So why can I not compare to Curbishley when Stig is comparing him to 'Mike Bailey and the great Jimmy Seed'
  • Options

Stig said:

But facts can be manipulated. Fact is that Powell was able to cherry pick the very best players from League 1 to mount an assault on the league, Curbishley was not given the chance to cherry pick from the Prem.

Nug said:

Stig said:

thenewbie said:

Nug said:

So why can I not compare to Curbishley when Stig is comparing him to 'Mike Bailey and the great Jimmy Seed'
    Compare him to who you like it's a forum, just responding to your statement that League 1 was easy. Would be easy with Premier League players but he didn't have those did he?
  • Options
    Nug said:

Stig said:

Nug said:

Stig said:

thenewbie said:

Nug said:

Compare him to who you like it's a forum, just responding to your statement that League 1 was easy. Would be easy with Premier League players but he didn't have those did he?

No, but as said above, he did cherry pick some of the best in the league

• Options
    I think one of the issues dividing opinion is that we are thinking as traditional football people whereas IMO RD isn't, and what is more, he can't. It just doesn't add up for us and we spend our time arguing back and forth without any real idea of what is going on in RD's head. I genuinely don't think he is about making even more money, RD is on an almost spiritual crusade to enter the history books as the man who reinvented the economics of football. Genius or fool? Let the future decide.
  • Options

Nug said:

Stig said:

Nug said:

Stig said:

thenewbie said:

Nug said:

Yeah, fancy doing that, what a crap manager.
  • Options

Nug said:

Stig said:

Nug said:

Stig said:

thenewbie said:

Nug said:

Isn't that part and parcel of being a good manager or, in finance bullshit that might appeal to Roland, optimising one's budget?
  • Options
    Nug said:

Nug said:

Stig said:

Nug said:

Stig said:

thenewbie said:

Nug said:

You really are missing the point
  • Options
    Nug said:

Nug said:

Stig said:

Nug said:

Stig said:

thenewbie said:

Nug said:

Sarcasm. Brilliant.

• Options

Nug said:

Nug said:

Stig said:

Nug said:

Stig said:

thenewbie said:

Nug said:

You really are missing the point
    Okay, what's the point, got to admit I've probably forgotten it by now!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You can compare him to Curbishley all you like (as it happens, I'd agree with you that Curbs was the better manager - I also agree with you about the different contexts that managers work in), but that really wasn't the point of my post. My aim was to counter the false (or at least highly selective) stats from an earlier poster that Powell's success rate was 25%. Chris Powell managed us for 145 games - fact! Of those games we won 59 - fact! That gives him a win rate - of 40% - fact! You can't manipulate those facts. You can dispute them if you don't think that they are correct, in which case please present something better, but that is the way they are. Chris Powell's record for the whole of his period as Charlton manager shows that he won more games than he lost - 13 more to be precise. That's not re-writing history, that's setting it straight.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Nug said:

Stig said:

Nug said:

Stig said:

thenewbie said:

Nug said:

Isn't that part and parcel of being a good manager or, in finance bullshit that might appeal to Roland, optimising one's budget?
    Very true, but this is veering away from the original point; that using facts isn't so black and white and can also 'rewrite' history depending on how you use or interpret them
  • Options

Nug said:

Nug said:

Stig said:

Nug said:

Stig said:

thenewbie said:

Nug said:

Sarcasm. Brilliant.

Fair enough, admittedly a bit childish.
  • Options
    Is Bob Peeters signing? I'll get no bloody work done this week if it doesn't happen soon as there is a hell of a lot of waffle to read through.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

He did not have a large transfer budget, most of his signings were free. I am sure if he had been allowed to get any players he wanted from league one it would have been a significantly different team. He did a fantastic job getting us promoted and was two years ahead of the target the owners had set. He then took basically took the same squad to the top half of the Championship. That makes him a very good manager in my eyes.

The lack of investment last season, together with the off field disruptions make drawing any conclusions on his performance unfair.

I think he would have kept us up. I think players would have re signed if he was still here.

I do wish the anti Powell faction would take their own advice and move on.

I disagree, I think that the majority of the players are who he would have picked. And for the record, I am not anti-Powell (particularly as he isn't our manager anymore).

Anyway, I think we should give Peeters (or whoever it may be) a chance. After our first game of next season, he could be our GREATEST EVER manager* as the facts would show.

*based on total points-to-games ratio, not exclusive to managers who have managed for at least one full season, not exclusive to 3 points for a win seasons etc
  • Options
    scidbox said:

waffle

Very apt.

• Options
    Stig said:

You can compare him to Curbishley all you like (as it happens, I'd agree with you that Curbs was the better manager - I also agree with you about the different contexts that managers work in), but that really wasn't the point of my post. My aim was to counter the false (or at least highly selective) stats from an earlier poster that Powell's success rate was 25%. Chris Powell managed us for 145 games - fact! Of those games we won 59 - fact! That gives him a win rate - of 40% - fact! You can't manipulate those facts. You can dispute them if you don't think that they are correct, in which case please present something better, but that is the way they are. Chris Powell's record for the whole of his period as Charlton manager shows that he won more games than he lost - 13 more to be precise. That's not re-writing history, that's setting it straight.

The post you mention, one of us has misinterpreted then.... someone said that the last 4no English managers have been pretty poor (after someone else moaned about having a foreign manager). When CP was pointed out as not being poor, the 25% stat was highlighting percentage success rate of the last 4no English managers. I think.
  • Options
    Any evidence of this yet?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    se9addick said:

. At the moment I see appointing Riga as saving us from certain relegation so I'm prepared to give RD the benefit of the doubt on this one.

We were 4/9 to stay up at the point of him taking charge, 6/4 to go down. He done a very good job to get us scoring, but we were far from down at the time Powell was sacked. Would of been nice to let Riga carry on his work as he knows all the players, Peeters will not and has to earn their trust, like a merry go round this for the players, no security anywhere.
    Hmmm...pretty much everyone I know thought we had very little chance of survival after the Sheffield United debacle (more evidence here http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/60479/sheffield-united-v-charlton-qf-fa-cup-2014-post-match-views/p3).

I fully expect Peeters to be appointed today/tomorrow and of course my default position with any new manager is to give them 100% support, but I can't pretend I'm not very, very concerned at what's happening at our club.
    The reason everyone thought we would was because we had just got spanked in the CUP by a very hot Sheff Utd team, every fan including myself was not happy with travelling that, tempers were raging. There is a lot of underlying problems regarding that, every first team staff member on that day was doubting their future at the club, including mostly Powell.. how do you hold a confident team talk if you knew you have gone against the owner and about to be kicked out the club?

If your boss rang you tonight and stuck you in a similar position in regards to your work, you wouldn't be your usual self. The players knew of it as well. Sheff Utd game was not a fair reflection of the league at all.