Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Scotland v England

Next Tuesday - Scotland v England.

It may be a friendly (if there is such a thing in this fixture) but it's a huge game, our first trip up there in 15 years.

So why does it appear from the media and the general public that this game is not even happening, ecspecially after all the clamour for the return of these fixtures.

Not seen anything really in the media and everyone I speak to about it down here doesn't even know it's happening.

I have a ticket but England have only sold approx 4,800 when we were offered at least 7,500! Yes it's a Tuesday night, yes it's a rip-off £50 but even so!

Is this really a sign of the times that interantionl football and interest in the national team has reached an all-time low, from which it is unlikely to ever recover?

What do others think? And are any other addicks making the trip up (on either side)?

Cheers.

Comments

• The media would of been all over this pre 90's I reckon. £50 a pop though!!
  • Surprised we've sold so few tickets although, as you say, there's not been much hype about the game in general.

We've once again drawn a very easy qualifying group, to the extent that I'd say we're already as good as there after only three games, so that might explain a general lack of interest in the national team, but it also means that the Scotland game is effectively our most important until 2016.

Hope we smash them to pieces, suspect it'll end in an uninspiring draw.
  • Scotland are a big price at 3/1

And through the 90's - I know it was a play-off but I remember huge hype in 99!
  • Talking about this on the sports bar last night
    Jason Cundy said he would rather win against Scotland than on Saturday personally I think that's a load of crap.

to me its a friendly and that's all I don't care if its against Scotland who the F%%k are they.
    honestly if they beat us It would have no effect whatsoever, but if we was to lose on Saturday it could have more of an effect.

• MrLargo said:

Surprised we've sold so few tickets although, as you say, there's not been much hype about the game in general.

We've once again drawn a very easy qualifying group, to the extent that I'd say we're already as good as there after only three games, so that might explain a general lack of interest in the national team, but it also means that the Scotland game is effectively our most important until 2016.

The game is even at celtic park which you would think would add an extra bit of spice for a lot of Eng fans.
    Any north of the border addicks know if there is much hype up there?
    I guarantee they will raise their game as they always do and give us a very hard game.
    2-2.
    Jason Cundy said he would rather win against Scotland than on Saturday personally I think that's a load of crap.

to me its a friendly and that's all I don't care if its against Scotland who the F%%k are they.
    honestly if they beat us It would have no effect whatsoever, but if we was to lose on Saturday it could have more of an effect.

I make him right - i'd rather beat Scotland! Of course it matters - if you've been to a game between the two you would know that.
    Saturday - If we lose does it really matter? We'll qualify regardless.

A rip-off, yes, but still less than it costs to watch Chelsea at home to Villa, Palace, Newcastle, etc, this season. I'd be more inclined to pay £50 for England vs Scotland than Chelsea's latest run-of-the-mill victory.

I make him right - i'd rather beat Scotland! Of course it matters - if you've been to a game between the two you would know that.
    Impossible to guarantee that we lose Saturday and we could mess it up, it has happened before, if we win Saturday we are in a very strong position, lets not forget we would lose gain more world rankings points winning Saturday than Winning Tuesday.

At the end of the day its a friendly and we will rest the best players on Tuesday, and that will prove my point.

I would be very surprised if the likes of Rooney, Hart, Cahill the main players are anywhere near the squad for Tuesday he has 26 players I reckon 7 or 8 will return to their squads clubs Monday Morning
  • Sponsored links:

Impossible to guarantee that we lose Saturday and we could mess it up, it has happened before, if we win Saturday we are in a very strong position, lets not forget we would lose gain more world rankings points winning Saturday than Winning Tuesday.

At the end of the day its a friendly and we will rest the best players on Tuesday, and that will prove my point.

I would be very surprised if the likes of Rooney, Hart, Cahill the main players are anywhere near the squad for Tuesday he has 26 players I reckon 7 or 8 will return to their squads clubs Monday Morning
    Who cares about World Ranking points, that ranking system is an absolute farce anyway. We'll be playing a first choice side against the Jocks, a defeat against them would be far more damaging for Hodgson than a slip up against Slovenia.
  • It's a friendly. They count for nothing now, absolutely nothing. Went to loads at the old Wembley in the past but couldn't care less these days.

Loads of Scot's pals that won't care either.

Had no idea we were playing to be fair, definitely a sign of the times.
  • Not sure how ticket sales are for this game. ROI qualifier has sold out. Unlike the away game at Wembley, I think this goes to general sale so expect it to be filled.

Some of the group I usually travel with have decided against this due to the ridiculous pricing strategy, not only for this game - but the whole campagin. As well as other TA members voicing their concerns.

I live down here so maybe there is a bigger buzz up there, but it should be pretty low down on peoples lists given the ROI game Friday night... A defeat at home and things start to look a bit more difficult for qualifying, even after only 4 games.
  • Imagine thinking that England vs Scotland means nothing. Weird. Would love to have gone but haven't got the 70 quid to part with to sign up to the away members club and haven't got the rest of the money for the trip.

It's going to be some away day for the England boys.
  • Kent_red said:

Not sure how ticket sales are for this game. ROI qualifier has sold out. Unlike the away game at Wembley, I think this goes to general sale so expect it to be filled.

Some of the group I usually travel with have decided against this due to the ridiculous pricing strategy, not only for this game - but the whole campagin. As well as other TA members voicing their concerns.

I live down here so maybe there is a bigger buzz up there, but it should be pretty low down on peoples lists given the ROI game Friday night... A defeat at home and things start to look a bit more difficult for qualifying, even after only 4 games.

I believe Scotland have sold out.
    Bizarrely tickets are £5 more expensive for the Friendly than your qualifier against ROI.
  • MrLargo said:

Talking about this on the sports bar last night

Who cares about World Ranking points, that ranking system is an absolute farce anyway. We'll be playing a first choice side against the Jocks, a defeat against them would be far more damaging for Hodgson than a slip up against Slovenia.
    I agree world rankings are a farce but they are important, as to who you get in your group if you qualify
  • MrLargo said:

Talking about this on the sports bar last night

Farce indeed but it decides where you are seeded in qualifying groups. You are often better off not playing at all than playing against teams ranked below you, but there you are...
  • Going up there on the Tuesday, back on Wednesday... can't wait.
  • I didn't know it was on

But I didn't know Charlton tickets were as little as £15 either

Getting the old "we don't care about them" in early in case you lose.

Good work millwallfan..........
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2014

MrLargo said:

Surprised we've sold so few tickets although, as you say, there's not been much hype about the game in general.

The game is even at celtic park which you would think would add an extra bit of spice for a lot of Eng fans.
    Any north of the border addicks know if there is much hype up there?
    I guarantee they will raise their game as they always do and give us a very hard game.
    2-2.
    Surprised Rangers didn't sell out the England allocation being it at Celtic Park

• Scotland are massive at 3/1, playing much better football than England are at presnt and dare I say it showing much more passion as well.
  • Gave up watching England friendlies about 20 years ago, due to them being generally drac, will give this one a watch however
  • This fixture should not have been allowed to happen.

The wonton tearing up of the hallowed Wembly pitch and the distruction of the goal left me traumatised.

The scotch FA have never apologised or even offered to pay for the damage. Should have been banned for ever from International Football.
  • Scotland are massive at 3/1, playing much better football than England are at presnt and dare I say it showing much more passion as well.

They are a big price but im not sure i agree with the last bit. They were crap against Georgia and did alright against a sloppy Poland side. They showed spirit against a very average German performance, but ultimately still lost.

They are a big price but im not sure i agree with the last bit. They were crap against Georgia and did alright against a sloppy Poland side. They showed spirit against a very average German performance, but ultimately still lost.
    Have you seen the passion in an England side the last 10 years, in comparison they are showing much more passion at present imo.

Have you seen the passion in an England side the last 10 years, in comparison they are showing much more passion at present imo.

Yeah we showed zero passion in that away win in Switzerland only 2 months ago.

Lets not get into the whole England passion thing as its something that cannot be proven correct/incorrect. They have under-performed without doubt in the last 10 years but i think thats more down to skill, tactics and in some cases luck.
  • edited November 2014
    Didn`t even know the game was on next week. Not seen or heard anything about it anywhere! I thought England were playing against Lithuania next week!
  • Aparently loads going up without tickets.