Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Views: Charlton v Cardiff

I hope you had plenty of fortification for this lunchtime kick off, so what was it like, how was our new goalie, Gomez at LB and our new CD Onyewu, and what about that ref?
over to you lot

Comments

• Well. Glad we got something from it. Continue to pursue the Charlton "FFS clueless headless chickens for at least one half" strategy.
  • edited December 2014
    SEems to have all changed after changing round the 4 in midfield and better supporting front 2.

Johan coming alive and Tuc being influential all helped.
    If only Igor had gone round the keeper instead of shooting!

Good fightback though.
  • Was vital for confidence we got something from it after doing so well second half, would have been the perfect way to start the post Christmas rush if Igor could have won it at the end.

Amazing what a difference two up top and a general intent to attack makes. JoBerg showing how important he is to our attacking play and again sounded like he did better on the left than the right.
  • Amazing effort and tenacity in the second half, full credit to the team. But why must we go a goal down to show that kind of hunger and desire to run at goal with the ball at feet. Surely players don't make a conscious effort to only try hard when they are losing?
  • First half, we couldn't trap a bag of cement. Ball bouncing off our lot, Cousins and Harriott the main culprits - and Harriot losing the ball like this caused him to lunge in and get sent off.
    Second half was awesome though. We should have won. Loved Gudmusson's goal. Was right behind it and great to see him wrap his foot round the ball and watch it hit the top corner.
    Igor at the end arrrgghhh. Oh well.

Final word - the ref. What a total and utter.....

Back to the booze now. Happy Christmas.
  • Sponsored links:

• Unfortunately, I couldn't make it today. Similar result to many of late but very different feel to it. Great job by Finchy with the commentary! Sounded very positive and I sometimes wonder if we'd approach games more positively if we changed the old adage of, "Play as if It's nil-nil! to " Play as if It's nil-one". Great, spirited comeback and I'm delighted that Gudmundsson got the goal as I was starting to wonder exactly what he has brought to the table despite showing so much promise and hopefully Tucudean's performance will give him confidence going into the new year. I still think he has a lot to contribute to this team.
  • edited December 2014

Amazing effort and tenacity in the second half, full credit to the team. But why must we go a goal down to show that kind of hunger and desire to run at goal with the ball at feet. Surely players don't make a conscious effort to only try hard when they are losing?

Goals change games and so do half time rollickings, a seige mentality and substitutions. :-)
  • Valley11 said:

Also - the new goalie was good. Brilliant handling.

Echo this. After a shaky start, he came and claimed everything. Allowed the centre backs to squeeze the play up the pitch as he was quick off his line to mop up. On top of that his distribution enabled us to counter quickly.
    Agree. Thought he looked pretty comfortable against a very physical side, really impressed with his distribution as well apart from a couple of shakey kicks.
  • Thought today was just as good as a win. I think Tucudean is really unappreciated and I was glad that Bob gave him a go. Too bad Veto couldn't covert his last chance but hey that's football. Positive result going to Ipswich, which we really need
  • Having just seen that clip of the goal, I have to say calling it fantastic is not doing it justice. Bloody hell!!! What a strike.

Didn't want to mention the ref, but doubt we'll have a worse one this season. Ironically his decision to send Harriott off was possibly the only thing he got right all afternoon. Also the decision not to send off the bloke who hauled George down seemed to be the real spark that galvanised us.
  • More drama than an eastenders Christmas special...
  • Having just seen that clip of the goal, I have to say calling it fantastic is not doing it justice. Bloody hell!!! What a strike.

Didn't want to mention the ref, but doubt we'll have a worse one this season. Ironically his decision to send Harriott off was possibly the only thing he got right all afternoon. Also the decision not to send off the bloke who hauled George down seemed to be the real spark that galvanised us.

Was just saying the same. The injustice of not sending him off turned the game for us. Crowd got going, players bombed forward and Cardiff crumbled.
  • Clueless first half, no-one wanted to know and Harriott deserved to get sent off for his own stupidity

Tucudean looked lively but with no support he can't do much

Second half we needed yet another shit decision from the ref to galvanise the team, and once we took off a struggling Gomez and played 3 at the back we looked a lot more dangerous. JBG is incredibly frustrating but his tackle, touch and goal is a GOTS winner in my mind, it was utterly superb. Vetokele had to score the 1 on 1, but for some reason he bottles them, and though the rest of the team and the crowd tried to gee him up at the full time whistle, there are no excuses for not hitting the target when clean on through
  • Sponsored links:

• Gudmundsson for goal of the year?? Or at least a possibility?
  • Hope we can see more of Onyewu now. His longer throws into the box really gave us something extra in that second half.
  • feels like a win, thank goodness for the turnaround

35% 7th-12th ......63% 13th-21st...... 2% Relegation
  • Draw least we deserved. Spot on subs by Bob. Glad George showed there is a player in there. Igor had to hit the target. Ref appalling. Said before harriott couldn't trap a bag of cement. Won't be missed. Three players away from a top six side
  • Fantastic second half. The best ten man display since CAFC 4 Norwich 4?
  • Thought we played really well with 10 men. How many last minute chances are we going to miss this season? Not for the first time Igor missed a one on one.

Harriott won't be missed, he makes so many basic mistakes game after game. JBG was a different player 2nd half and George was my MotM
  • RedChaser said:

Amazing effort and tenacity in the second half, full credit to the team. But why must we go a goal down to show that kind of hunger and desire to run at goal with the ball at feet. Surely players don't make a conscious effort to only try hard when they are losing?

Goals change games and so do half time rollickings, a seige mentality and substitutions. :-)
    But we need it every week aaaggghhh
  • Wasn't at the game but listening to the commentary it reminded me a bit of that draw against Swindon on Boxing Day 2009 when we played for over half of the match with 9 men. Everyone rallied together and we scored a last minute equaliser thanks to that legend, Miguel Llera. The place went absolutely mental!