Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Grenoble

There appears to be some very grim news from Grenoble this morning...

Comments

• Allegedly one person has been arrested.
  • Allegedly one person has been arrested.

There are several victims and the person arrested was, apparently, claiming to be a member of IS.
  • Getting a bit too close to home.

Story earlier in the week that some of these maniacs used the strike at Calais to get into the UK.

Story earlier in the week that some of these maniacs used the strike at Calais to get into the UK.

It's already happened here sadly, with the Lee Rigby situation.

Yup, sure has, all extremely worrying nonetheless.

• Sponsored links:

• I am worried that IS will get access to Nuclear Weapons some time in the future.

Weirdly, I don't find myself that worried by it.

Of course it would be horrendous if it does happen again, but I don't let myself worry about it to much because that's what the nutters want.

Just get on with day to day life whilst being vigilant, but don't let it worry you!
    Absolutely agree but its such an unnecessary threat. Why, in the 21st century in a developed country, should i have to be vigilant that someone might wanna chop my head off in the name of religion?!
  • Depressing that this sort of thing now feels so commonplace that I can predict the type of discussion that will take place on this forum before opening the thread.

Horrific event, RIP to the chap involved

Of course it would be horrendous if it does happen again, but I don't let myself worry about it to much because that's what the nutters want.

Just get on with day to day life whilst being vigilant, but don't let it worry you!
    You're right, of course.

Probably being a bit twitchy as I live in Bexley, not far from the Dover to London motorway. Even find myself looking a bit more intently at people when I go for my run in Danson Park!

• BBC now reporting that may not be a decapitation attack and that it may belong to one of the attackers and happened in explosion.
  • TelMc32 said:

BBC now reporting that may not be a decapitation attack and that it may belong to one of the attackers and happened in explosion.

Tel, I'd be interested to see that report as Sky are saying:

"The severed head had Arabic writing scrawled across it and was found on a fence next to two jihadi banners, a French official said."

• Charleston happened last week so I don't think the problem is as simple as you all think. Removing religion from the world won't make too much of an impact with these attacks, the problem is cultural not religious.
  • TelMc32 said:

BBC now reporting that may not be a decapitation attack and that it may belong to one of the attackers and happened in explosion.

Tel, I'd be interested to see that report as Sky are saying:

"The severed head had Arabic writing scrawled across it and was found on a fence next to two jihadi banners, a French official said."

It was on the TV reports on BBC News around the time I posted.
  • Sponsored links:

I've never felt personally unsafe, just through the laws of probability. I was at college in town during the IRA bombing campaign, I was vigilante but not worried. I rationalised the 7/7 bombings that there were 3 million commuters in London that day, the chance of being one of the 800 is still really low. Its a bugger if you are part of that percentage but not something you can do about or should lose sleep about.
  • edited June 2015
    Gunmen now attacking Tunisian hotels in Sousse. British tourists thought to be involved. 27 dead.

Imperial Harbour hotel.

1 gunman killed and another being pursued.
  • edited June 2015

Charleston happened last week so I don't think the problem is as simple as you all think. Removing religion from the world won't make too much of an impact with these attacks, the problem is cultural not religious.

These "people" are not Muslim, although they'd call themselves that.
    I hope you apply the same logic to us Millwall fans and the unsavoury element among us.

We may not want to acknowledge that these people are of the Islamic faith as it doesn't fit in with how we want to perceive the religion. Not least to protect the moderate and law abiding people that live in harmony alongside us. However, whether we like it or not, they are Islamic and no amount of distancing them from the faith will change that, unfortunately.
    And they are a tiny tiny minority in the billions of Muslims around the world.

They are also only using Islam as a reason to inflict misery on other people. As I said, it's Ramadan, Muslims should be fasting and going to the mosque etc (although my knowledge of Ramadan is incredibly limited, please correct me on this). Not beheading and blowing up a mosque as they have done in Kuwait today as well.

That Charlestown nutter used his race as justification for shooting people. Are we going to have to tell all white people that they should make extra effort to condemn the shootings? No.

I'm not going to change my opinion on Islam because of one or two nut cases that want me dead.

Let's not forget a lot of this anti west shit goes back to britains atrocious management of Palestine and the holy land over the last hundred years or so. We are as much to blame as a nation as the religion of Islam itself.
    Your last paragraph, for me, undoes your argument above it.

Wow. Seems it's always somebody else's fault.

Islam is all about interpretation. Not all Muslims fast. Just the same as not all Muslims abstain from drinking alcohol.

I work with many Muslims and one of the guys polished off three bags of pistachio nuts yesterday and, when pulled up on it, simply said "nuts don't count" with a massive grin on his face.

• http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-33287136?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

A suicide attack on a mosque also happened today. Wonder what interpretation of Islam would've told them to do that?

It's not a religious issue.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-33287136?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

A suicide attack on a mosque also happened today. Wonder what interpretation of Islam would've told them to do that?

Sunni's and Shia's have been murdering each other for hundreds of years. The interpretation is where the main issue lies between the two strains of the same faith.

It's very much a religious issue. I know it doesn't sit well with some but denying it only serves to cloud the issue.

As opposed to the peaceful white, Christian races ?

Sunni's and Shia's have been murdering each other for hundreds of years. The interpretation is where the main issue lies between the two strains of the same faith.

It's very much a religious issue. I know it doesn't sit well with some but denying it is only exasperating the issue.

"What role has sectarianism played in recent crises?

In countries that have been governed by Sunnis, Shia tend to make up the poorest sections of society. They often see themselves as victims of discrimination and oppression. Some extremist Sunni doctrines have preached hatred of Shia.

The Iranian revolution of 1979 launched a radical Shia Islamist agenda that was perceived as a challenge to conservative Sunni regimes, particularly in the Gulf.

Tehran's policy of supporting Shia militias and parties beyond its borders was matched by the Gulf states, which strengthened their links to Sunni governments and movements abroad.

Discontent among the Shia has fuelled street protests in Bahrain

During the civil war in Lebanon, Shia gained a strong political voice because of the military activities of Hezbollah.

In Pakistan and Afghanistan, hardline Sunni militant groups - such as the Taliban - have often attacked Shia places of worship.

The current conflicts in Iraq and Syria have also acquired strong sectarian overtones. Young Sunni men in both countries have joined rebel groups, many of which echo the hardline ideology of al-Qaeda.

Meanwhile, many of their counterparts from the Shia community have been fighting for - or alongside - government forces."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16047709

If you think the violence that has occurred is due to the difference in religions and not the cultural make-up of the two sects you're wrong. It's like painting the IRA/England violence as a religious issue.
  • Charleston happened last week so I don't think the problem is as simple as you all think. Removing religion from the world won't make too much of an impact with these attacks, the problem is cultural not religious.

These "people" are not Muslim, although they'd call themselves that.
    I hope you apply the same logic to us Millwall fans and the unsavoury element among us.

We may not want to acknowledge that these people are of the Islamic faith as it doesn't fit in with how we want to perceive the religion. Not least to protect the moderate and law abiding people that live in harmony alongside us. However, whether we like it or not, they are Islamic and no amount of distancing them from the faith will change that, unfortunately.
    And they are a tiny tiny minority in the billions of Muslims around the world.

They are also only using Islam as a reason to inflict misery on other people. As I said, it's Ramadan, Muslims should be fasting and going to the mosque etc (although my knowledge of Ramadan is incredibly limited, please correct me on this). Not beheading and blowing up a mosque as they have done in Kuwait today as well.

That Charlestown nutter used his race as justification for shooting people. Are we going to have to tell all white people that they should make extra effort to condemn the shootings? No.

I'm not going to change my opinion on Islam because of one or two nut cases that want me dead.

Let's not forget a lot of this anti west shit goes back to britains atrocious management of Palestine and the holy land over the last hundred years or so. We are as much to blame as a nation as the religion of Islam itself.
    A tiny minority of over a billion (I think the official figure is around 1.5 billion, or 23% of the World's population) could be a fair few million. Just saying