Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nick Pope and Charlton

Seems to have done well on loan but maybe not so confident when he plays for us. I do have a terrible sinking feeling that some of our fans will turn on him should he not start the season in commanding fashion.

Hope all goes well for him.....

Comments

• Be positive ...it will be fine
  • edited July 2015
    I'm sorry to say, that if he can't command at Southend, in the reserves. I'm not confident he will do it at home to QPR in front of 18,000.

Mind you, he may have been fine tonight and the match thread comments misleading.
  • The comments are a concern.
  • Can't see Pope making it with us sadly
  • Really worried to be honest. Even on Saturday I thought he looked like he was "frightened to death"! Don't think he will "win" us many points. Get well soon Henderson!!!....PLEASE.
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

He's 22 - A toddler in goalkeeping terms

His record at the same age and same level is significantly better than Joe Hart's was

I wouldn't be surprised if the negative comments some of our numpty fans come out with are the reason he is lacking in confidence. Maybe if we were to Sing a song about him being "charltons number 1" it would have the opposite effect and boost him

Where's your evidence for his record being better than Hart's ? Hart had played over 50 games in the premier league at his age.

Not knocking Pope too much, but I think the next month is make or break for him with us
  • I'm sorry to say, that if he can't command at Southend, in the reserves. I'm not confident he will do it at home to QPR in front of 18,000.

Mind you, he may have been fine tonight and the match thread comments misleading.

I only reported what the commentary said..at fault for the first goal....not sure he is the right back up, but I'm happy to trust Luzon, but wish we had another more experienced option.
  • Number one I'm not a "numpty fan"!
    It's just my opinion and I have watched NP many times. He just never looks confident, even his "previous match kicking is all over the place!
    Joe Hart is completely different league in Goalkeeping terms, no way should his stats be compared to Nick Pope's. ...that's just daft.
    I, along with many "non numpty" fans really want it to work out for the lad but unfortunately it doesn't (at the moment, at least) seem to be. I don't think any amount of singing his name will make things better, it might frighten him to death and make him worse.
  • We should have got Hamer in on a season long loan. Never mind Pope, Hendersons fitness means we need a senior keeper in.
  • wmcf123 said:

Bring Rob Elliot home for a couple of months on loan,could do a lot worse!

I know there is divided feeling about Elliot on here. I thought his worst spell came when he had to play behind jokers like Llera, Basey etc. I would definitely prefer him to Popey right now
    Looking at these reports from Newcastle's pre-season he's not even their third choice - looks like the 'keepers featuring in their first teams pre-season are;

Krul
    Darlow
    Freddie Woodman (?)

Anyone know what sort of shape Elliott's in by now ?
  • the pope at york looked unbeatable, full of confidence and looked like he stood 8 foot tall. Such a shame he hasn't carried that back to cafc. Still hope he can get better and better and get that confidence back.
  • I really want him to do well for us but not sure he will be here after this season.
  • edited July 2015
    Swisdom said:

He's 22 - A toddler in goalkeeping terms

His record at the same age and same level is significantly better than Joe Hart's was

I wouldn't be surprised if the negative comments some of our numpty fans come out with are the reason he is lacking in confidence. Maybe if we were to Sing a song about him being "charltons number 1" it would have the opposite effect and boost him

If Pope was better than Joe Hart, there wouldn't be a discussion. He's not. He's shaky. He's had a pre season to shine & he hasn't.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

The only problem, is Stuart Taylor, has also looked poor, in the few games he's played in recent years.

Houston, we have a problem.
  • Sponsored links:

• Pope and Hart's records were compared on here when Pope was at bury.

Pope had conceded less and had more clean sheets

It's a bit daft saying the comparison is inadmissible

I'm not referring to anyone on here as a numpty - I'm referring to some of the fuckwits on Facebook
  • I cannot honestly believe Stuart Taylor is a sensible answer to this question
  • Swisdom said:

Pope and Hart's records were compared on here when Pope was at bury.

I'm not referring to anyone on here as a numpty - I'm referring to some of the fuckwits on Facebook

I just don't think it will happen for him at charlton, it may be mental thing but he does seem to have a mistake in him when playing for us.
  • Ketts on Dr Kish saying he doesn't expect any of the players on show at Roots Hall tonight to start at Bolton.

Hinting at a new keeper?
  • What's the likes of Butland doing this season?
  • Swisdom said:

Pope and Hart's records were compared on here when Pope was at bury.

Comparing a league 2 clean sheet record to Hart's premier league stats cant be valid though. Interesting nonetheless, thanks for the clarification
  • Yep. Joe Hart was playing in The Prem, on loan to Brum, when he was 22. He wasn't shaking in his boots at a psf in Southend playing for the stiffs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Hart