Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

South Africa v England Series 2015/2016

Boxing Day in Durban England start their Test/ODI and T20 Tour of South Africa

Itinerary is....

Saturday 26th December 2015
INTERNATIONAL TEST MATCH SERIES
08:00
Venue: Durban

Saturday 2nd January 2016
08:30
Venue: Cape Town

Thursday 14th January 2016
Venue: Johannesburg

Friday 22nd January 2016
Venue: Centurion

Wednesday 3rd February 2016
ONE DAY INTERNATIONAL SERIES
11:30
Venue: Bloemfontein

Saturday 6th February 2016
Venue: Port Elizabeth

Tuesday 9th February 2016
Venue: Centurion

Friday 12th February 2016

Sunday 14th February 2016
08:00

Friday 19th February 2016
INTERNATIONAL TWENTY20 SERIES
16:00

Sunday 21st February 2016
INTERNATIONAL TWENTY20 SERIES
12:30

This was SA's team v India in last Test - contains some unfamiliar names - South Africa have lost some big players in recent years namely Smith,Kallis and Boucher amongst others, and have injuries concerns with Steyn and Philander...

South Africa
Dean Elgar
Temba Bavuma
Hashim Amla(c)
AB de Villiers
Faf du Plessis
JP Duminy
Dane Vilas(wk)
Dane Piedt
Kyle Abbott
Morne Morkel
Imran Tahir

England going with this squad for the Test team...
Alastair Cook (c)
Moeen Ali
James Anderson
Jonny Bairstow
Gary Ballance
Stuart Broad
Jos Buttler
Nick Compton
Mark Footitt
Alex Hales
Chris Jordan
Samit Patel
Joe Root
Ben Stokes
James Taylor
Chris Woakes

I'll go with the following as my team for the First Test ...

Alastair Cook (c)
Nick Compton
James Taylor
Joe Root
Jonny Bairstow
Ben Stokes
Jos Buttler
Moeen Ali
Mark Footitt (though more than likely will be Woakes selected- please,please,please not Jordan!)
Stuart Broad
James Anderson

SA seem to be in a bit of disarray, so i go for a 2-1 series win for England ( 1 win in Durban where the ball traditionally will swing in the humid conditions, and also in Cape Town where traditionally The Barmy Army turn it into a home game with 80 per cent of fans supporting England)- especially if Steyn is injured.

Comments

• Like the look of your team... Who do you think it will be though?
  • I'd agree with 2-1 series win. Even after losing to Pakistan I feel the Test team are on the up. SA without Phillander and most likely Steyn for at least the Boxing Day test, imperative we win that one and get ahead early.

Good to see Stokes back. Do you think they'll stick with Buttler as the test WK? Yes we need players that can counterattack but with our middle order collapses I'm just not sure how effective he can be.
  • edited December 2015
    andyg90 said:

I'd agree with 2-1 series win. Even after losing to Pakistan I feel the Test team are on the up. SA without Phillander and most likely Steyn for at least the Boxing Day test, imperative we win that one and get ahead early.

Good to see Stokes back. Do you think they'll stick with Buttler as the test WK? Yes we need players that can counterattack but with our middle order collapses I'm just not sure how effective he can be.

Yes, see the point re Buttler, wouldn't mind betting they decide to bring Ballance back should they decide to go with Bairstow as keeper. (groans from AA and Riv AND Dick)
  • No snail please. My team

Hales
    Cook
    Compton
    Root
    Taylor
    Stokes
    Butler
    Mooen
    Broad
    Footitt
    Anderson
  • It's our bowling against their batting...if they get 400+ most times (as I think they will...) then we will struggle; if we can get them out for 250 each innings, then we have a good chance. I'm going 2-1 SA.
  • dickplumb said:

No snail please. My team

Hales
    Cook
    Compton
    Root
    Taylor
    Stokes
    Butler
    Mooen
    Broad
    Footitt
    Anderson

Mine too, and it's the one I think they'll go for in the first test. Can't wait for boxing day - Christmas dinner leftovers, chocolate, and the first test on TV.
  • I think everyone is grossly underestimating South Africa. To say they are in disarray is overstating it. If Steyn is missing that certainly evens it up a bit but really cant see us winning this series.
    Agree Footitt should be given a try. Butler has probably earned a couple of tests with his one day performances against Pak but if he flops again, Bairstow should be given the gloves and be happy to see Ballance back.
    Taylor seemed nailed in, but why not before?
  • I haven't checked the record books but surely SA's latest performance of 143 off 143.1 overs has to be the lowest all time score off that number of overs in the history of Test cricket?

On that basis alone and with the potential of us having great occupiers of the crease such as Cook, The Snail, Root, Compton etc etc this series has 0-0 written all over it ;-)
  • SA still has three top players in ABV, Amla and Steyn and two very good players in Morkel and Philander but they are going through a rough patch and are very beatable.
  • That SA team certainly looks weaker than when we last played them, but have enough to give any team a game at home.
  • Sponsored links:

• dickplumb said:

No snail please. My team

Hales
    Cook
    Compton
    Root
    Taylor
    Stokes
    Butler
    Mooen
    Broad
    Footitt
    Anderson

Mine too, and it's the one I think they'll go for in the first test. Can't wait for boxing day - Christmas dinner leftovers, chocolate, and the first test on TV.
    Luvly ! One of the best days of the year - and also at a very convenient time of day - they're 2 hours ahead of us in SA, so Tests will be starting at 8am our time.Finishing circa 4pm.

Must admit, cant wait.
    My sons school have been given tickets for the ODI on 14th Feb at Newlands - very tempted for a long weekend !
  • Personally cannot see the hype around Alex Hales. ODI and T20 player at best.
  • iamdan said:

Personally cannot see the hype around Alex Hales. ODI and T20 player at best.

Who else do you suggest?
  • By bringing back Compton and Ballance, there is a chance lost to at least trial some 'improvers' ... Vince, Northeast, even Roy or Billings for example .. the Australians over the past few years have given replacement middle order places to 'older' batsmen .. this has worked well in some cases and not so well in others, causing a bit of a dearth, bit of a logjam of talented younger players coming through from the Sheffield Shield structure
  • edited December 2015
    Vince I like, but think that Northeast might not quite be up to test level, and I have my doubts re Roy and Billings(at the moment) over whether they could get to that level.
    Personally think that Vince could become the long term option as partner to Cook for opener.
  • edited December 2015
    Got tickets for an ODI at Centurion and a T20 in Jo'burg. It's so much cheaper than the UK. As is the excellent catering. Had to think about whether to sit in the sun or not in case it's too hot!
  • Got tickets for an ODI at Centurion and a T20 in Jo'burg. It's so much cheaper than the UK. As is the excellent catering. Had to think about whether to sit in the sun or not in case it's too hot!

Fiona, i remember thinking to myself when i first went to Newlands...hang on, its cheaper to sit in the sun and get roasted - seats in the shade are a premium - totally the opposite to Lords, where to sit in the bottom seating of the Compton stand is cheaper.
  • It wasn't the price as all the tickets are cheap. It's whether it'll be too hot! Love the price of rugby and cricket tickets here! Think we went for shade for the ODI and sun for the T20
  • edited December 2015
    Interesting piece on Cricinfo re SA's changing cricket team....
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-south-africa-2015-16/content/story/949931.html
    Odd that they dont mention Marchant De Lange.

Also, i received the email from Lords this morning for entering the Ballots for test match tickets for next season !
    Cant see there being much of a queue considering we're playing SL and Pakistan.
  • Sponsored links:

• And SA squad is - with ABDV to keep wicket...

South Africa squad for first two Tests: Hashim Amla (capt), AB de Villiers (wk), Kyle Abbott, Temba Bavuma, JP Duminy, Faf du Plessis, Dean Elgar, Morne Morkel, Dane Piedt, Kagiso Rabada, Rilee Rossouw, Dale Steyn, Stiaan van Zyl.
  • I really hope Hales succeeds and we can get some stability in our team.
  • England start well in first warm-up game, both Stokes and Taylor scoring unbeaten centuries

Team is Cook,Hales,Compton,Root,Stokes,Taylor,Bairstow,Ali,Ballance,Woakes,Broad,Footitt,Anderson

We might win this won, coz, unfairly , we are playing with 13 players.

• England start well in first warm-up game, both Stokes and Taylor scoring unbeaten centuries

Team is Cook,Hales,Compton,Root,Stokes,Taylor,Bairstow,Ali,Ballance,Woakes,Broad,Footitt,Anderson

We might win this won, coz, unfairly , we are playing with 13 players.

Sshhh, don't tell anyone, they might not notice

A shame Hales failed though

• Hales fails again in the second innings, 8 from 42 balls, you wonder if he's so nervous about playing a reckless shot that he ends up in a completely negative mindset
  • Lyth was given a series, so hopefully hales will to. The talent is there with him and if cook is playing his natural game hales should be able to relax and try to score freely. Easier said than done though I'm sure.
  • Lyth was given a series, so hopefully hales will to. The talent is there with him and if cook is playing his natural game hales should be able to relax and try to score freely. Easier said than done though I'm sure.

Not sure he will. If he keeps failing and Compton scores runs then i believe its a two-way shoot-out.
  • Currently 284/3 in reply to South Africa XI's 136. Cook with 126, Hales a 56 and Root currently 60NO.
    Finn putting himself into contention with 4-34.
  • SA opener Stephen Cook carried his bat in their innings, a rare achievement.

An opening batsman called Cook who bats for a long time eh :smile:
  • Jimmy Anderson a doubt for first Test.

Sam Billings and Liam Plunkett have been left out of the ODI squad. Both can consider themselves unlucky.

Billings is in the T20 and Bairstow has been omitted. Plunkett misses out again and I struggle with the fact that both Woakes and Jordan are ahead of him in both short versions of the game.

Stuart Broad has been left out of both squads and will struggle to make selection for the World T20 squad by the looks of things.