Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

My First Trip To England-Advice Needed

Good morning all! I've been tentatively planning my first England/Charlton trip for months now, and now that the fixtures came out this morning, I now have a date to shoot for. I'm hoping to do a home and away while I'm in England, so the dates I'm shooting for are Cardiff home on November 23rd, and Luton away on the 26th. With Luton being so close I'd expect we'd bring a decent following, would anyone think it might be difficult for me to get tickets for that match?

Also, I'll probabaly be in London for a week and have been looking into Hostels to stay at as they are the affordable option for a college student like me. Has anyone had any experiences with Hostels and can tell me if it's worth it? Or would it be better just to get a hotel for the week?. And if so, any suggestions on a good deal? 

Lots of questions I know, but what better place to get them answered than by you lovely people? :D 

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Can't wait to finally get myself to the Valley, absolutely buzzing!

Comments

• I’ve not stayed in any London hostels (obviously) but have stayed in dozens abroad and they are mostly clean, modern, secure, have great facilities and you’ll meet loads of cool people. Especially if there’s a bar.

Just read reviews beforehand and if too many people point out bad things pick elsewhere. I’m sure London has a multitude of options and most of them near to a tube station.

London hotels are expensive, especially for solo travellers, so the other option would be Air BnB.

• I’ve no experience of the place but a bloke I used to work with lived up north and always stayed here when he was in London:

https://www.st-christophers.co.uk/hostels/uk/london/greenwich?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=GoogleMyBusiness

He said it was really good.....and being in Greenwich would be a good base (and walking distance to the Valley). 

• edited June 2019
    clive said:
    Luton away will be the most difficult to get a ticket for all season as the allocation is only 1500 tickets but i am sure somebody on here will be able to get a ticket for you also Luton as a town & stadium is the worst place to visit in England.
    Cheers clive!! For the sake of travel purposes on a Tuesday, I was half hoping Luton or somewhere South would fall into place where I wanted, can't believe it actually has. Not the best away day by any means, but works perfectly for me
  • bobmunro said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Good morning all! I've been tentatively planning my first England/Charlton trip for months now, and now that the fixtures came out this morning, I now have a date to shoot for. I'm hoping to do a home and away while I'm in England, so the dates I'm shooting for are Cardiff home on November 23rd, and Luton away on the 26th. With Luton being so close I'd expect we'd bring a decent following, would anyone think it might be difficult for me to get tickets for that match?

Also, I'll probabaly be in London for a week and have been looking into Hostels to stay at as they are the affordable option for a college student like me. Has anyone had any experiences with Hostels and can tell me if it's worth it? Or would it be better just to get a hotel for the week?. And if so, any suggestions on a good deal? 

Lots of questions I know, but what better place to get them answered than by you lovely people? :D 

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Can't wait to finally get myself to the Valley, absolutely buzzing!
    I would expect we'll sell out of our allocation - but if you can't get a ticket then I guarantee I will do so for you.
    Cheers mate! Very kind of you!
  • If you stay in central London, hotel is expensive, travel relatively cheap, and you're near most things (assuming you want to do things other than football whilst here).  If you stay further out, it will take time to get anywhere and be a little more expensive, but the accommodation will be cheaper.
    If you are doing a week, I'd buy a weekly travelcard out to whichever zone you are staying in, as that will be cheaper than paying for each journey.
    for sufficient train information to enable you to pass as a regular.

• Travelodge Woolwich. £50ish including breakfast.
    Near to the Valley, transport links and some of us if you have a problem.
  • Premier Inn in Greenwich as well - helps to book in advance.
  • I think Suede's recommendation is a good one.  Its right by Greenwich station so you can jump on the train in to the West End, or three stops down to the Valley.  And Greenwich is a good area to stay.  

You can also get the Thameslink to Luton from Greenwich station.   Luton away though...

• Sponsored links:

• Waiting on the day for the fixtures to be released and planning a trip to Charlton is one I’m very familiar with. Be aware that some fixtures will be changed for Sky BUT I’d guess there’s less chance of drastic changes when there’s 2 games already scheduled for the week, possibly the Cardiff game might be brought forward to the Friday for TV. They don’t usually announce changes too early so I’d look at travelling to and from on Thursdays if you’re coming for a week, you’ll obviously be wanting to book flights as early as possible to get a decent fare. Hotels are expensive. Can’t comment on hostels as I’ve never considered them, but I’ve done AirBnB a few times in Shooters Hill for 25-30 per night.

As for London, I suspect you’ll want to see the sights. A 1 day bus ticket on the tour bus lets you travel 3 different routes which helps you an idea where the main attractions are in the City centre, and I recall it allows you a river cruise too. I’d also recommend going on one or more of the London Walks - the “Village” walks like Greenwich, Hampstead, Chelsea, etc. are my favourites.

Try saving like mad, it can be expensive but totally worth it. Enjoy!
  • It's great that we have so many overseas fans. I'm fairly sure that someone on here will help get you a ticket for the match.. Luton may not be the most glamorous of ties, but you can guarantee a sell out and a raucous atmosphere.
  • If you are interested in a B&B there are two places I use in Eltham, which is Charlton territory, both coming in at between £35-45 per night. Both close to the railway station and to the legendary Long Pond pub, run by the equally legendary Lifer, @Riviera. One of the B&Bs is run by a fantastic couple from Sunderland, the guy who is 67, is a Mackem season-ticket holder and great to chat with about footie.

If you are interested, PM me and I will send you contact details

• Ross - great news!!

Travelodge and Premier Inn Woolwich generally have a price war. Premier Inn often used by German Addicks. Thameslink service to Luton also runs through Woolwich.

• Fella, if you're on a budget, you can rent rooms/apartments on University grounds outside of term times.
    So if you can do a home/away early in the season, before end of September, this could be on benefit to you.

Check out QMULs site at http://www.qmaccommodation.co.uk/.  Other campuses offer similar.
  • If you are interested in a B&B there are two places I use in Eltham, which is Charlton territory, both coming in at between £35-45 per night. Both close to the railway station and to the legendary Long Pond pub, run by the equally legendary Lifer, @Riviera. One of the B&Bs is run by a fantastic couple from Sunderland, the guy who is 67, is a Mackem season-ticket holder and great to chat with about footie.

I have a feeling Rossman is young in his 20's?  I think he might want a bit more action that the Long Pond on his first trip to London.  No offence @Riviera but i'm sure you know what i mean!  

Although I am looking forward to the wine tasting event there next week.

• Maybe someone on Charlton Life could offer you AirBnb ..... ?

And maybe even help you sort tickets, also?

• I'm too old for hostels but we used to have dorm beds here and they are a great way to meet people and there's a very different vibe to hotels and B&Bs. The one recommended above looks great, perfect to get into town and handy for Charlton. I used to know the guy that started St Christopher Inns many years ago after he opened a hostel here in Phuket but he's long gone.

UNless you get a better offer, I'd say do it!

• Great news Ross! Hopefully you'll get to meet a few Lifers for drinks around the games. 

I've stayed in the YHA hostel in Bristol a few times and always found it good value. They've got one in Rotherhithe (so close enough to the Valley and central London), if you want to check it out it's here: https://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/yha-london-thameside
  • Ps you can always stay in one hostel a few nights and another for the rest of your stay too - get a better deal that way!
  • Sponsored links:

• EastStand said:
    Great news Ross! Hopefully you'll get to meet a few Lifers for drinks around the games. 

I've stayed in the YHA hostel in Bristol a few times and always found it good value. They've got one in Rotherhithe (so close enough to the Valley and central London), if you want to check it out it's here: https://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/yha-london-thameside
    Beware the flat caps and Stone Island apparel!
  • I would recommend the YHA at St Pancras which is currently showing £199 for 7 nights. You would share a room with 3, includes shower, loo and free wi-fi. They have a cafe and eating area. You could get to both the Valley and Kenilworth Road in under an hour and your close to Granary Square and Camden Locks which are great for food and booze.
  • Curb_It said:
    If you are interested in a B&B there are two places I use in Eltham, which is Charlton territory, both coming in at between £35-45 per night. Both close to the railway station and to the legendary Long Pond pub, run by the equally legendary Lifer, @Riviera. One of the B&Bs is run by a fantastic couple from Sunderland, the guy who is 67, is a Mackem season-ticket holder and great to chat with about footie.

I have a feeling Rossman is young in his 20's?  I think he might want a bit more action that the Long Pond on his first trip to London.  No offence @Riviera but i'm sure you know what i mean!  

Although I am looking forward to the wine tasting event there next week.

Well that’s a surprise!
  • Avoid Woolwich and you will be fine.
  • Get yourself down Millers on a Friday night  ;)
  • re accommodation we would need to know your budget/what your minimum standard is.

re London just follow whatever you're interested in. There'll be something to see and do whenever you're here. Let us know and we can be specific.

re the football I'd say be a bit more adventourus. Luton is a shit ground. Why not go to one of the better grounds further out. You'd be able to get the coach so you'd get back however far it is. Or even stay overnight.

I hope you have a great trip whatever you do.
  • What sort of thing will you be looking to do aside from the Charlton games @Rossman92? Different parts of London may make more sense as a base depending on whether you're after culture/nightlife/seeing other parts of the UK/etc.