Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• For anyone who can't see Tweets, it is a Championship footballer who is gay. Has recently come out to his family and then had a meeting with his manager and chairman. Says he will reveal his identity publicly soon.
  • Good luck to him. He must know the sort of nonsense he'll have to put up with now, but hopefully we will see that society has come a long way in the last decade.
  • I saw this on twitter.

i hope it is genuine but I have my doubts
    Why? Just an attempt to whip up a storm of interest?
  • That wasn't the first Tweet - just pinned at top of timeline.

Why would someone fake this? Seems serious and sensible to me, not a wind-up.
  • I saw this on twitter.

I have the same feeling on this one. 
  • That wasn't the first Tweet - just pinned at top of timeline.

Why would someone fake this? Seems serious and sensible to me, not a wind-up.
    This was his first tweet from 5 July.  He joined twitter in July 2019

As I say, I hope I'm just being too cynical.
  • Sponsored links:

• Why not just announce it all at once? You can still post your statement about the support your club are giving you etc...
  • Uboat said:
    I saw this on twitter.

Why? Just an attempt to whip up a storm of interest?
    possibly, it's social media so who knows.

As I said I hope it is genuine but it's a brand new account, this was the first post.  Why the need to build it up like this rather than just announce the news?

Hope I'm wrong and just being to cynical.
    Agreed, saw this yesterday and instantly thought it was a wind up. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Why not just announce it all at once? You can still post your statement about the support your club are giving you etc...
    Can’t make money out of it that way.
  • bobmunro said:
    cfgs said:
    Personally think he is brave, but his sexuality is his own business he shouldn't feel pressured to tell the world. If he is doing so then great.

He equally shouldn't feel pressured not to tell the world - which is the current climate, I would suggest.
    True. People should just feel free to live the life they want.
  • I'm wondering why this footballer is drip-feeding things like this over social media first. I suppose it would help gauge public reaction and generate publicity, and that might be what he feels the English football community needs from its first active, openly gay male player since Justin Fashanu.

I don't think this isn't genuine, but I also don't know why they are choosing this method of reveal.
  • Sponsored links:

• The point has been made that by doing it this way it focusses attention on "who" it is rather than "what" he is. The build up helps with acceptance. I hope that's right and hope this is genuine. 
    Oh, this is a great point
  • Good news, if this is a genuine account.  And, if it's a wind-up then it's not a very good one. 
  • Brave step. Once he reveals his identity I’m hoping he will then be left alone to live his life and not become a media play thing.

I’m pretty sure that the majority of people will be accepting and supporting but I hope he is prepared for the reception he will get at the den!!! 
  • Ridiculous that this is still an issue in the present day. A minority of fans living in the dark ages will find it worthy of comment.

If it is a true account I'm assuming the PR machine will be in full swing.

• edited July 2019
    One thing I think we can all agree on...

... he dont play for Charlton, he clearly states he spoke to his Chairman about it as well as his Manager - Bet our players wouldnt recognise Roland even if he was in a one man line up!!
  • Croydon said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Why not just announce it all at once? You can still post your statement about the support your club are giving you etc...
    He'll make nothing out of it if it's a wind up.

If it is real he'll make a fortune from interviews, sponsorship, appearances anyway.
  • Croydon said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    He'll make nothing out of it if it's a wind up.

If it is real he'll make a fortune from interviews, sponsorship, appearances anyway.
    The first player who comes out will undoubtedly make a fortune - every brand will want PR mileage out of them.

There would undoubtedly be abuse from a minority of dumb fans but I'm assuming this would be from a small number and would gradually die out.

Makes sense from a financial perspective to be the first gay player to 'come out'. Their agent will be very happy.
  • Weird that they state they're under 23?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!