Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Options
    In the ground & it's pissing down. 
  • Options
    In the ground & it's pissing down. 
    Sorry. If we get a full days play then I think we lose.
  • Options
    That's that then. 
  • Options
    My Weather App tells me rain stops at 11.
    if thats the case, then maybe a 12 o'clock start.
  • Options
    Re Smith, he is the best test match batsman I ever seen.   

I know the England attack is missing Anderson, but it's still a very good seam attack, in English conditions, and probably the equal, at least, of theirs.  They don't seem to have much of a problem getting the others out. 

Even the likes of Kohli, Lara, Sachin and Waugh got out.  I disagree with being able to imagine ways of getting Smith out. He looks aweful at the crease but he doesn't have, as far as I can see, any weakness. 

Since he nicked off 4 times in a row (I think at trent Bridge and Edgbaston) I don't think he has given England a sniff.  The only way we get him out is when he starts slogging 9 down. 

• Options
    Inspection at 11.40..... 
  • Options
    Play to start at 12.10. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I know the England attack is missing Anderson, but it's still a very good seam attack, in English conditions, and probably the equal, at least, of theirs.  They don't seem to have much of a problem getting the others out. 

Even the likes of Kohli, Lara, Sachin and Waugh got out.  I disagree with being able to imagine ways of getting Smith out. He looks aweful at the crease but he doesn't have, as far as I can see, any weakness. 

Since he nicked off 4 times in a row (I think at trent Bridge and Edgbaston) I don't think he has given England a sniff.  The only way we get him out is when he starts slogging 9 down. 

Did you write that before he was out, lbw to Woakes, yesterday?
  • Options
    Inspection at 11.40..... 
    Can we have a Shard verdict please?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Inspection at 11.40..... 
    Can we have a Shard verdict please?
    I can’t see it from my sofa. Doesn’t mean it’s covered in cloud though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

In terms of run accumulation, he is obviously very,very, good - his hand/eye co-ordination is extraordinary. Broad bowled a big inswinger off the seam to him yesterday that would have got 99 out of 100 batters - but somehow Smith put it into the leg side.
    However, as i mentioned yesterday, i find him boring to watch, he only has one and a half shots, so,its,nudge to leg,nudge to leg, nudge to leg, then throw your hands at an off drive occassionsly- and those stupid tourettes movements get on my tits.
    If you put him up there with the recent batting greats such as Lara,Kohli,KP,Richards,Tendulkar,Ponting then Smith would be bottom of the list in terms of getting me away from the Bar.
  • Options
    Play to start at 12.10. 
    Phew, at least we havnt lost a couple of wickets before 12
  • Options
    Play starts at 12:10
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

In terms of run accumulation, he is obviously very,very, good - his hand/eye co-ordination is extraordinary. Broad bowled a big inswinger off the seam to him yesterday that would have got 99 out of 100 batters - but somehow Smith put it into the leg side.
    However, as i mentioned yesterday, i find him boring to watch, he only has one and a half shots, so,its,nudge to leg,nudge to leg, nudge to leg, then throw your hands at an off drive occassionsly- and those stupid tourettes movements get on my tits.
    If you put him up there with the recent batting greats such as Lara,Kohli,KP,Richards,Tendulkar,Ponting then Smith would be bottom of the list in terms of getting me away from the Bar.
    Then again , if was English ! (which he half is).
  • Options
    My weather app has more rain around 16.00 ish
  • Options
    Smith is out of the Test and a concussion replacement has been requested
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Is there any prognosis on Jimmy?
    Apparently Oz have requested a concussion sub for this game , so seems Smith wont play any more.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    That must surely rule him out of the Third Test which starts in a few days' time.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    That must surely rule him out of the Third Test which starts in a few days' time.
    You would hope think so.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Cricket Australia statement

"Steve has been closely monitored by medical staff overnight and this morning reported that after sleeping well, he woke with "a bit of a headache and a feeling of grogginess." Steve reported that his left arm which was also struck during his innings yesterday was "much better".

"As part of the Cricket Australia concussion protocol, repeat concussion testing of Steve Smith was also performed this morning and demonstrated some deterioration from his testing which is consistent with the emergence of the symptoms he was reporting. "On that basis Steve has been withdrawn from the match by team doctor Richard Saw and the Australia team will lodge an application for a concussion substitute with the ICC match referee in line with the ICC protocol.

"Cricket Australia statistics show that 30 per cent of concussions in Australian cricket are delayed. It is not uncommon for players to pass their tests and feel well on the day of an injury and then display symptoms 24 - 48 hours later.

"In terms of Steve's availability for the third Test, this will be considered over the coming days but the short turnaround to the next Test is not in his favour. Steve's fitness will be assessed on an ongoing basis.

"Steve will undergo a precautionary scan on his neck on Sunday.

"Despite the unfortunate nature of what has happened, the positive is that the concussion protocol, including the availability of the concussion substitute, which has been recently brought in has served its purpose. A player is no longer under pressure to take the field when he or she displays symptoms of concussion and a side is not disadvantaged having lost a player to a blow to the head or neck.

"Cricket Australia is proud to have been leaders in this area, having introduced concussion substitutes in domestic cricket and worked with the ICC to introduce them in international cricket."

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    As far as I understand it - and it would be great if anyone can share more accurate info - the "concussion protocol" comprises a number of questions that are asked of each player several weeks or months in advance of a series which are then repeated during the test.  The sets of answers are then compared.  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    As far as I understand it - and it would be great if anyone can share more accurate info - the "concussion protocol" comprises a number of questions that are asked of each player several weeks or months in advance of a series which are then repeated during the test.  The sets of answers are then compared.  

Such as........

Where should you hide the sandpaper

Which youngest member of the team have you asked to carry it

Should you deny any of it when it ultimately comes to light

What should be the penalty for cheating
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I wonder what the Charlton Concussion protocol question is? 
    "Can you play right-back?"
    "Yes"
    "ok, you pass"
    "Do you know who you are?" 
    "No" 
    "In that case, you're Lionel Messi.  Now get out there and carry on". 
  • Options
    Play to start at 12.10. 
    Daughter asked me this morning.......why dont they just close the roof like they do at Wimbledon   ?

Genuine question.......do think this might come in one day...??
  • Options
    The legality of head high bouncers is going to be a big issue going forward. It just needs one successful legal challenge from an ex rugby player, american footballer or boxer and there will be huge pressure to eliminate any possibility of ball to head contact. 
  • Options
    With Smith ruled out,  I wonder if there's a temptation to come out swinging, get 200 in front & get Archer steaming in at them. 

Unlikely under Root, but you never know 
  • Options
    Play to start at 12.10. 
    Daughter asked me this morning.......why dont they just close the roof like they do at Wimbledon   ?

Genuine question.......do think this might come in one day...??
    I vaguely recall there being a project to determine is this was viable at Lords, but was deemed exhorbitantly expensive.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    With Smith ruled out,  I wonder if there's a temptation to come out swinging, get 200 in front & get Archer steaming in at them. 

Unlikely under Root, but you never know 
    I’d usually agree, but if that goes wrong it’s 2-0 and curtains for the series. Bat this out and move on.

We are far from a great side, but neither are the Aussies, and if we play well the next 3 tests I’m confident we can scrape it 
  • Options
    This is good from England. Buttler needs some minutes at the crease playing a proper test innnings. Turning this into a one dayer would be a mistake.