Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Huddersfield v Charlton | Sat 29 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    ct_addick said:
    A 4-0 capitulation to a relegation rival puts us down IMO. Pathetic.
    We're not and never have been in the bottom 3 and yet apparently we are down.
    I agree, pathetic !
  • Options
    Thought Huddersfield looked a top of table side based on the way they bossed the play. They always seemed to find a man in SPACE whereas our passes were in the main to a player with no space (a town player 3 yards away) and possession was either lost or the ball played back to the back 5/4 and inevitably back to Dillon who was also put under pressure, which is how the first goal came about. Huddersfield were quality but let's.not get this out of proportion. They started the day on the same number of points 35 games into a season. To me that makes us about equal. As can be seen with many results involving teams around us, that if they turn up they can beat anyone including the top team ala West Brom v Wigan. We are in a very worrying position, there is no other way to view it. Our form is not that of the teams around us so the odds are against us staying up. I'm not a pessimist, just a realist. I hope that Bowyer can do something amazing over the next 10 games but fear he doesn't have the experience or squad to play to his plans. 

Having watched at Hillsboro and again today, it's a tough week. I seriously hope the player's can pick themselves up to give the fans something to cheer about (because it's needed).

As an aside, it was slightly amusing that Karlan's song incorporates their amusement at having bought him from Charlton Athletic! Less amusing were his two well taken goals. 

Tough times ahead, but it's what being a fan is all too often about. Onto the next episode. 

If this was a tough week we're doomed for the rest of the season.

Whilst we are bottom of the table and all games are hard, this week I'd like to have got 3 points.
    Did we get an over night points deduction ?
    How come we're now apparently bottom ?
  • Options
    Bizarre comments on here, truly bizarre.
    So we're now bottom and we're down already.
    Nurse, nurse !
  • Options
    We desperately need Sarr, Pratley, JFC, Purrington and Williams to start if they are all fit.
    Whats happened to Aneke and Morgan much better than Oztumer and McGeady.
    How about Aneke to start to give us some strength and put his self about.
    Alfie defo not a defender, much better Left midfield or left winger.
    Apart from Green, not impressed with the 3 loan signings!
  • Options
    Obviously we are not down and out yet . But it is the nature of our defeats this week that concerns me . There is no fight left in the team , no leadership on the pitch , a real lack of quality in certain positions.  We can still stay up , but LB needs to get the team motivated for the run in .
  • Options
    We seemed to have gone from one extreme to the other in midfield yesterday - hopefully we pick a balanced team next week - we r still in this but have to stop the experimenting - next week is huge and I will be giving 100% support but esi really have to up their fame in the summer and LB needs to either be more forceful or wake up to the fact that we need new and better players not benchwarmers 
  • Options
    PWR. I saw the game on the tele. The score flattered Huddersfield, but not the result. The first three goals all seemed to stem from Oschilaja losing the ball, like he did against Luton last week? Or am I mistaken?   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    I'm not going to comment on the game, my players' marks paint the picture! The only footballing positive was Williams giving us hope with his introduction second half. The best bits were spending time with son and grandchildren, having a pre match chat with @FannyFanackapan and chewing the cud second half with @Lincsaddick.

Ten games to go, all cup finals until we are certain of safety. If the penny hadn't dropped already, the management team and players need to get their act together immediately if all the hard work of promotion last May is not to be undone.

I'll be on my annual pilgrimage to the Valley next week and then Hull the week after. COYRs you owe it to all us fans especially those that have put the miles in up and down the country in greater numbers this year, to get behind you!
    Good to see you too, Red. 

Just as well you didn't bump into me after the match....
  • Options
    A difficult afternoon for all of us today. A massive thank you to those supporters who made the journey today and made their voice heard
    We'll need you more than ever next Saturday...see you back at The Valley. #cafc

• Options
    Short video for those who need more punishment

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1021824574?-11197:833
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Short video for those who need more punishment

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1021824574?-11197:833
    Watch Taylor’s reaction when Cullen spoons his shot over the bar.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    PWR. I saw the game on the tele. The score flattered Huddersfield, but not the result. The first three goals all seemed to stem from Oschilaja losing the ball, like he did against Luton last week? Or am I mistaken?   
    The first was a hospital ball pass back from Lapslie to Oshilaja who was still favourite to clear it but tried a short possession pass which was intercepted by Grant 0-1. Not sure Deji was at fault for the second as it was a cracking og by Pearce! I was taking a comfort break for the third when the roar went up in readiness for the car journey so can't comment and was outside the ground when the fourth went in both last knockings.

The highlights though show him trying to block the assist for the third and he was our nearest player to Bacuna who scored from 25 yards. To be fair I thought he stuck at it after his lapse for the first although I only gave him 4.5 in the players marks he was by no means our worst performer.

Regarding the Luton game, it was Davis who made the weak clearance for their goal but Oshilaja got the hook immediately after gifting the ball for the disallowed goal second half.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Yes - I meant the disallowed one RC. He lost the ball well before the second goal yesterday, but we never regained possession after he did so.   
  • Options
    The only position where to me Oshilaja looks comfortable to me is RB, as he's quite fast and runs surprisingly well with the ball, his best moment yesterday was his run to the touchline and pullback

In central positions he tends to lose the ball in dangerous areas, whether CB or midfield.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    The only position where to me Oshilaja looks comfortable to me is RB, as he's quite fast and runs surprisingly well with the ball, his best moment yesterday was his run to the touchline and pullback

In central positions he tends to lose the ball in dangerous areas, whether CB or midfield.
    I agree, I remember his performance against Forest at home at RB which was superb. He’s not a midfielder and a liability at CB it seems. I have to admit I was calling for him to get a chance at CB but it’s not worked. It has to be Lockyer and Sarr. 
  • Options
    Oshi right mid in front of mathews? Has the legs acceleration to get the cross in and then get back to help out? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This is the pitiful truth. We can’t pass the ball accurately. We can’t control the ball properly. And in possession, we are dullards.

Watch closely, and each pass is just slightly wrong for the runner: he has to check or divert for the ball. Which he can’t control cleanly. Those two touches are enough for our opponents to pounce, and seize possession.

Watch our player with ball at feet, approaching the box. You can see him stuttering, mentally frozen – what should I do? The ball is lost.

The greatest pleasure this season is admiring the fluency of our opponents, the way they pass and move from defence to attack. Brentford, Swansea, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, West Brom and others. Quick moves, instinctive runs, carving space, shooting at goal.

That is beyond our technical ability. We are ponderous, slow, cautious. Incapable.

Yet, fellow Lifers will recall the first 30 minutes at home against Forest back in August. We were on fire, rapid and incisive: cutting in attack. That should be the benchmark, the way to play. Our best opponents do all that naturally, smoothly, routinely, every single game.

Since then, we in the Covered End have watched, aghast, many second halves with us not making a single shot at goal. That is pathetic.

Our defence is a shambles. Even with injuries cured, we have no effective midfield. We are physically weak – Oztumer and Cullen are brushed off the ball – simply unable to win a tackle and thread a pass from here to there. No movement from the strikers; Taylor is muscling for possession far out wide when he should be in the box, served by a cross he’ll never receive.

We have an attacking throw-in. You can see the mental cogs grinding: what should I do? He throws it back to midfield – and back to our keeper. Who hoofs it out of play.

Come on, for God’s sake. Learn from our skilful, flowing, winning opponents. We are dull, frozen men: a regiment of shadows. Those hopeless loans! I have no interest in the platitudes of our new owners, no interest in their homely Tweets, nor their prudent purse or vacuous five-year plan.

It is stark and simple. They should spend money on skilful players, tough and intelligent men: players capable of bursting the net at the Covered End. 

Are you me  ?  I could have written that. 

Even Luton last week passed it better than us. First half; midfielders running with the ball & passing it forwards to a man already on the run, the ball played in front of him so he doesnt have to break stride or stop. Us; passing it around tge back, sidways 5 yards to a player who then immeadiatly passes it back again. Just look at the first goal yesterday- that sums up our problem. 
  • Options

This is the pitiful truth. We can’t pass the ball accurately. We can’t control the ball properly. And in possession, we are dullards.

Watch closely, and each pass is just slightly wrong for the runner: he has to check or divert for the ball. Which he can’t control cleanly. Those two touches are enough for our opponents to pounce, and seize possession.

Watch our player with ball at feet, approaching the box. You can see him stuttering, mentally frozen – what should I do? The ball is lost.

The greatest pleasure this season is admiring the fluency of our opponents, the way they pass and move from defence to attack. Brentford, Swansea, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, West Brom and others. Quick moves, instinctive runs, carving space, shooting at goal.

That is beyond our technical ability. We are ponderous, slow, cautious. Incapable.

Yet, fellow Lifers will recall the first 30 minutes at home against Forest back in August. We were on fire, rapid and incisive: cutting in attack. That should be the benchmark, the way to play. Our best opponents do all that naturally, smoothly, routinely, every single game.

Since then, we in the Covered End have watched, aghast, many second halves with us not making a single shot at goal. That is pathetic.

Our defence is a shambles. Even with injuries cured, we have no effective midfield. We are physically weak – Oztumer and Cullen are brushed off the ball – simply unable to win a tackle and thread a pass from here to there. No movement from the strikers; Taylor is muscling for possession far out wide when he should be in the box, served by a cross he’ll never receive.

We have an attacking throw-in. You can see the mental cogs grinding: what should I do? He throws it back to midfield – and back to our keeper. Who hoofs it out of play.

Come on, for God’s sake. Learn from our skilful, flowing, winning opponents. We are dull, frozen men: a regiment of shadows. Those hopeless loans! I have no interest in the platitudes of our new owners, no interest in their homely Tweets, nor their prudent purse or vacuous five-year plan.

It is stark and simple. They should spend money on skilful players, tough and intelligent men: players capable of bursting the net at the Covered End. 

Regiment of shadows?  Superb stuff as always. 
  • Options
    I have been thinking about yesterday's shit shower.  In the cold light of day the team selection, tactics (especially in the 1st half) and quite frankly shocking performances by 3 or 4 individuals isn't what really pissed me off.

It was the lack of positive intent and aggression.  By that I don't mean chucking men forward and kicking people.  I mean it in terms of passing and running.  We tried to pass round the press, as far I could tell we only actually did it once, then ended up passing the ball back to Phillips anyway.

In all honesty I can accept that players are shit, players have bad games, managers get selections and tactics wrong.  I can't accept the whole team being so passive, timid and negative. 

If Bowyer sorts those out those things we will have a great chance of staying up and I couldn't complain if the worst happened. 
  • Options
    2121 said:
    Oshi right mid in front of mathews? Has the legs acceleration to get the cross in and then get back to help out? 
    Too defensive and we’re not going to go a flat 442 now. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Airman are you insisting they have no money? 

For what it’s worth I’ve been told that a player has told a couple of fans last week that ESI don’t have anywhere near the dough anyone thought. 
    Do people still think we're near the worth of the City owner?

I thought that was cleared up when we realised Nimer bought us and not the Sheikh
  • Options
    Not using this as an excuse in any shape or form but the vast improvement of some of the teams that were (and still are), below us recently is surely almost unprecedented....they have all given themselves a chance now with vastly improved results.....whereas, at such a critical moment, we have unquestionably gone pear shaped.
    I realise I’m stating the bleeding obvious but it is most unusual that they should ALL be on the up.
    Good to see you have calmed down from last night mate.  You were very emotional.
  • Options
    It appears we have been sussed out using the 5-3-2 and the 4-4-2 diamond. Teams know we can't play out from the back, we also don't have the same strong energetic midfield. 

7 players look consistently capable at this level when fit.
    Phillips, Matthews, Lockyer, Cullen, Pratley, Williams & Taylor 

The rest can perform on good days but it's few and far between stuck from being decent league one players and making that step up to championship football. 

The standards have dropped organisation, discipline, communication. 

Wasteful at set pieces, give away many cheap fouls, movement non existent from dead ball situations (throw-ins and goal kicks), players not scanning shoulders before recieving making a pass, making a lot of poor decisions on the ball (playing it into a congested area) and not having any belief going forward. 

It's back to doing the basics well on the training ground, having belief and we have to force errors from the opposition not the other way around being defensive has cost us this week. 

Although probarbly too late for a change of system I wouldnt mind having wingers/inside forwards in a 4-2-3-1.

Strongest XI? (Bonne if we need a target man)

Taylor
            Green,    Williams,.  Mcgready
                        Pratley, Cullen
    Purrington, Sarr, Lockyer, Matthews
                             Phillips

• Options
    it’s gonna be a struggle as ever and will require a proper turnaround but first time this season I think the chances of staying up are less than going down .

40% 13th-21st ......................... 60% Relegation