Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Marcus Maddison - 20 months jail for GBH (p77)

Comments

• I wonder if he'll be used as an impact player tomorrow? May have more impact coming in off the bench and not having to manage his energy from the start.
  • First start in a League game on Saturday - thoughts? Wanted to see him do well and he rattled the bar and threatened a couple of times but still not keen on his decision making in a team-move, hesitating and keeping the ball a couple of times cost us a strong attacking position. Can see his potential but not sure if i'm fully on board, its a team sport at the end of the day even if individually he's clearly a threat.
    He'd had two starts in cup games though, so it's not as if he was thrown in with no match practice though

I was a bit disappointed in him in open play, he didn't combine well with Bogle and Washington
  • First start in a League game on Saturday - thoughts? Wanted to see him do well and he rattled the bar and threatened a couple of times but still not keen on his decision making in a team-move, hesitating and keeping the ball a couple of times cost us a strong attacking position. Can see his potential but not sure if i'm fully on board, its a team sport at the end of the day even if individually he's clearly a threat.
    He'd had two starts in cup games though, so it's not as if he was thrown in with no match practice though

I was a bit disappointed in him in open play, he didn't combine well with Bogle and Washington
    2 cup games were with the kids, I wonder if people would be so picky with a play let thats been out for 9 months, after 2 pre season friendlies. 

If hes not in form by mid December, il probably be criticising him too. 
    A lot more to come from him, he needs time to get fully fit and used to our team. We don’t usually expect any other players to make a big immediate impact, Maddison is no different despite his excellent goals and assists record at this level. I can see his decision making improving in time and then more end product will come.
  • shine166 said:
    First start in a League game on Saturday - thoughts? Wanted to see him do well and he rattled the bar and threatened a couple of times but still not keen on his decision making in a team-move, hesitating and keeping the ball a couple of times cost us a strong attacking position. Can see his potential but not sure if i'm fully on board, its a team sport at the end of the day even if individually he's clearly a threat.

2 cup games were with the kids, I wonder if people would be so picky with a play let thats been out for 9 months, after 2 pre season friendlies. 

The FA Cup game wasn't with the kids, he started alongside Aneke, Williams, Morgan and JFC in the more attacking roles
  • shine166 said:
    First start in a League game on Saturday - thoughts? Wanted to see him do well and he rattled the bar and threatened a couple of times but still not keen on his decision making in a team-move, hesitating and keeping the ball a couple of times cost us a strong attacking position. Can see his potential but not sure if i'm fully on board, its a team sport at the end of the day even if individually he's clearly a threat.

The FA Cup game wasn't with the kids, he started alongside Aneke, Williams, Morgan and JFC in the more attacking roles
    Good point, once he's had a run with a semi consistent line up im sure he'll come good 
  • Cannot believe how impatient some of you are.

Of course, we could always get Sullay Kackack back instead.
  • Scoham said:
    A lot more to come from him, he needs time to get fully fit and used to our team. We don’t usually expect any other players to make a big immediate impact, Maddison is no different despite his excellent goals and assists record at this level. I can see his decision making improving in time and then more end product will come.
    Yet people are happy to right off other players after less than a handful of games. 

I think Saturday was more par for Maddison than not.  If he had scored from the free kick it would have, probably, changed the result of the match and how people viewed his performance. 

I think it's quite possibly his decision making that put off a lot of championship mangers.  
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2020
    I'm with you up to the seeing his potential bit - with his experience (250+ starts) his decision making needs to be better - the fact he didn't blend any better with his teammates as the game wore on, suggests lack of brain power or excess of ego.  His first manager at Gateshead 6 years ago described him as selfish.  I'm yet to see or hear much to excite.  Adequate 3rd division midfielder, when fit.  A decent left foot does not a whole player make.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Decision making can be coached. Give him some time. I feel his instincts are what have got him to where he is. 
    Where he is being: an out of contract 27 year old snapped up right at the end of a transfer window by a 3rd division team able to offer a maximum of £2000/week with no signing on fee.
    I'm with you up to the seeing his potential bit - with his experience his decision making needs to be better - the fact he didn't blend any better with his teammates suggests lack of brain power or excess of ego.  I'm yet to see or hear much to excite.  A decent left foot does not a whole player make
    Slightly harsh I feel. He’s also learning about how 9 other outfield players behave on the pitch, that’s going to take a few games for him to adjust and understand where the right pass is considering players pitch locations at the time. 
    I'm with you up to the seeing his potential bit - with his experience his decision making needs to be better - the fact he didn't blend any better with his teammates suggests lack of brain power or excess of ego.  I'm yet to see or hear much to excite.  A decent left foot does not a whole player make
    Slightly harsh I feel. He’s also learning about how 9 other outfield players behave on the pitch, that’s going to take a few games for him to adjust and understand where the right pass is considering players pitch locations at the time. 
    A fair point but Shinnie picked that up very quickly so it can be done. Maddison does need more time but that's not an infinite luxury. 
  • thenewbie said:
    A fair point but Shinnie picked that up very quickly so it can be done. Maddison does need more time but that's not an infinite luxury. 
    Bowyer gave him 3 or 4 weeks to be upto speed... last week 
  • Needs to lay off some simple balls and run into space rather than keep trying to dribble his way through the opposition.

Got the feeling he thought he'd tear some of the Burton defenders a new one last night, but he's still obviously not quite up to speed.
  • He looks way off the pace fitness wise, completely understandable.

Looked anonymous as many did last night, only positive was much needed game time into his legs.
  • Two glaring issues with Maddison in my book. Not both necessarily his fault , but issues all the same.

The first is the nature of his game. He seems to be most effective ( not for us yet I hasten to add) when he is allowed to roam free and find pockets of space in dangerous attacking areas and does his damage when he picks up the ball in those areas.
     That requires a fair bit of 'carrying' from other members in especially midfield and up top to chase back and cover whilst he is on the wander. I think that's one of the reasons Bogle was removed early. But as a whole, the side last night was unable to do much of the leg work. Remember the rest of the midfield were having to do extra work to try and protect a poor central defence pairing.

Whilst the first issue is not wholly Maddison's fault the second is. When he did manage to find one of those pockets his movement and distribution was woeful. He lost the ball on far too many occasions and when he tried to beat a man there was nothing in the tank. I know he's been injured, but when you see pictures of empty pizza boxes and mention of cheat days, you know this fella is going to have to make some monumental changes to his attitude to be an effective asset for this current side.
    Is he up to that? The jury's out for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• His attitude always seems to have been a bit of a problem and possibly held him back.

I hope he delivers.
  • I don’t think he’s good as an inverted winger . As soon as he gets the ball , his first instinct is to get it onto his left foot and come inside and defenders know that . I’d much rather see him on the left wing putting crosses in with his left foot , which he can’t do on the right wing as he has no right foot. 
    I definitely think he will come good but only if he’s used properly. 
  • I don’t think he’s good as an inverted winger . As soon as he gets the ball , his first instinct is to get it onto his left foot and come inside and defenders know that . I’d much rather see him on the left wing putting crosses in with his left foot , which he can’t do on the right wing as he has no right foot. 
    This.

Also I think he was pretty pissed off at himself when he went off. He's a good player and it must be frustrating when you can't do what normally comes easily. 
  • Swisdom said:
    Two glaring issues with Maddison in my book. Not both necessarily his fault , but issues all the same.

The first is the nature of his game. He seems to be most effective ( not for us yet I hasten to add) when he is allowed to roam free and find pockets of space in dangerous attacking areas and does his damage when he picks up the ball in those areas.
     That requires a fair bit of 'carrying' from other members in especially midfield and up top to chase back and cover whilst he is on the wander. I think that's one of the reasons Bogle was removed early. But as a whole, the side last night was unable to do much of the leg work. Remember the rest of the midfield were having to do extra work to try and protect a poor central defence pairing.

Whilst the first issue is not wholly Maddison's fault the second is. When he did manage to find one of those pockets his movement and distribution was woeful. He lost the ball on far too many occasions and when he tried to beat a man there was nothing in the tank. I know he's been injured, but when you see pictures of empty pizza boxes and mention of cheat days, you know this fella is going to have to make some monumental changes to his attitude to be an effective asset for this current side.
    Is he up to that? The jury's out for me.
    I'm a big fan of him however when he was subbed he went straight down the tunnel rather than stay and watch with his team mates - that's bad form in my opinion.  Win together, lose together.
    He might have needed a pony.....
  • I keep hearing that we need to wait 'til he gets match fit. But you don't get match fit unless you put the work in - how much "pressing" did he do last night? You end up getting dropped which then makes it even harder to get match fit. It's sort of a vicious circle. 

His last two clubs currently sit first and second in the division so have done well enough without him. And we won six on the bounce without him too.  

He's a luxury player who will win you games on occasions. But his lack of application and work rate undermines the team principle. I see him at best as one to bring on for the last 20 if and when we need to do something different. He's certainly not worth a starting spot at the moment.
  •  

Looked a different side when he was replaced by Morgan.
    That's because Morgan is right footed and we didn't need a player cutting in last night. We needed crosses into the box. 

Personally would have moved Maddison to LM he could hardly have been any worse than Gilbey there and taken Gilbey off for Morgan. 

• Dazzler21 said:
    I don’t think he’s good as an inverted winger . As soon as he gets the ball , his first instinct is to get it onto his left foot and come inside and defenders know that . I’d much rather see him on the left wing putting crosses in with his left foot , which he can’t do on the right wing as he has no right foot. 
    This.

Also I think he was pretty pissed off at himself when he went off. He's a good player and it must be frustrating when you can't do what normally comes easily. 
    Wrap up warm and be pissed off at yourself in the stand with the rest of the players. Teams win promotions, not individuals. 
    Do we know he didn't return from the changing rooms? Maybe he went to get his coat to wrap up warm?