Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The dangers of fast food

Comments

• JaShea99 said:
    Dave2l said:
    I wouldn't eat one and the way their marketing is aimed at kids to pester the f*** out of their parents is disgusting, just like other adverts aimed at kids.  I think we clearly could eat better and obesity is clearly at epidemic proportions.

However I think all you've done here is get people's backs up.

Here's a story.

Someone I know who I was close with...gave me a patronising annoying few words about it. Maybe about 4/5 years ago now. She is right though and I hope she is sticking with it.

No one is in the wrong here.

I am genuinely sorry if I have actually got on anyone's nerves.

It really wasn't intended to be how it probably sounds. I am not random knobhead Jamie Oliver. 

Your life is none of my business.

Just trying to vaguely raise general awareness on it and send out reminders. 

I just think it's important.
    But do you really think there are any adults who aren’t aware? Did you honestly expect anyone to read your post and change their outlook or find something revolutionary in your post that they had never considered before?

Dude, I'm obviously on your side.

I've admitted to ordering take aways and the same temptation to do so is probably stuck within a lot of others.

For the 1st time in about 5 years, I cooked a really good meal yesterday. I made a good solid effort and found the cooking process to be therapeutic.

I now go back to how I used to feel.

I feel more awake, more resilient and less likely to give in to the easy option.

I don't smoke and I don't drink very often.

We can still damage ourselves and our bodies by giving in to easy temptations.

Ok, you feel patronised and irritated.

Don't bother looking at the thread then.

• MSG is V tasty though. Its one of my weaknesses. 
  • Please Google and watch videos of the heart attack grill.

John Basso owns the restaurant. He used to be a professional health advisor.

When I 1st saw him being interviewed, I thought he was a nut job who perhaps had a disorder.

I was way off.

He is very honest and I now actually think he's a bit of a genius. With incredible business acumen. I think he is perhaps a tad depressed but in a non typical kind of way.

The restaurant looks absolutely disgusting and repulsive in terms of food.

It has entertainment value but that's about it.

I love how it has completely put me off the thought of any kind of burger.

I now want to make a good fun decent effort. One to be proud of.

Easier said then done though.

• edited January 2021
    The stuffs without doubt not good for us. Should it be banned ? Of course not. Should it be regulated ? Definitely. We don’t need a smallish parade of shops having as many takeaways as you can currently find. Local councils should have the right to limit numbers. Personal choices are not always what’s good for us. We need a little help to do what’s best sometimes.
  • I recall quite a few years back we sold curries etc... Not for long, I think it was an experiment. I do recall having one and it was ok ish.
    Think I had a curry pie at Boro away once. That was a mistake for the long journey home! 
  • Jessie said:
    JaShea99 said:
    Give it a rest mate. You don’t wanna eat it then fine, don’t. Plenty enjoy it in moderation and that’s absolutely fine.
    But plenty of people eat them every day, that is what the debate is about.
    Over the years I've noticed when watching English football matches that (it seems) there are many overweighted people in the crowd, a significantly higher proportion than in countries like China, Japan or Korea. Sometimes I wonder if it is the genes or the food? Or maybe both? If a lot of people in the UK do eat KFC etc. every day as you point out, then I guess it's more the food than the genes' problem.

Stopped eating Chinese food about 4 or 5 years ago because of their appalling abuse of animals. Don’t particularly miss it.
    No doubt there's appaulling abuse of animals here. My mum just told me a news report she had read today and I can't even find the English words to describe how inhuman it is. But not everything we eat comes from that kind of process. Besides, we probably eat more vegetables, fruit and other non-meat food than people in the West do. By the way, I don't think Chinese food processed and sold in the UK has anything to do with animal abuse?
    The other issue when it comes to there being a few overweight people in a football crowd can be down to beer. 
  • The stuffs without doubt not good for us. Should it be banned ? Of course not. Should it be regulated ? Definitely. We don’t need a smallish parade of shops having as many takeaways as you can currently find. Local councils should have the right to limit numbers. Personal choices are not always what’s good for us. We need a little help to do what’s best sometimes.

100%

Without taking this to an overly serious level..

We do often need help. No one is their own actual best mate.

"F*ck off I don't want any help"

A high number of typical likely responses.

It would obviously be a valid fair enough sort of response.

I would personally very happily and great-fully accept personal advice in regards to diet.

It might give me a good extra boot and improve motivation.

I'd take it more seriously.

• Dave2l said:
    The stuffs without doubt not good for us. Should it be banned ? Of course not. Should it be regulated ? Definitely. We don’t need a smallish parade of shops having as many takeaways as you can currently find. Local councils should have the right to limit numbers. Personal choices are not always what’s good for us. We need a little help to do what’s best sometimes.

100%

I would personally very happily and great-fully accept personal advice in regards to diet.

Save the animals.

Save the planet.

Save your health.

Save your soul.

Go vegan!
  • Dave2l said:

100%

Save the animals.

Save the planet.

Save your health.

Save your soul.

Go vegan!

🙂👍
  • Dave2l said:

100%

Save the animals.

Save the planet.

Save your health.

Save your soul.

Go vegan!
    Is eating meat now a mortal sin?
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:
    Dave2l said:

100%

Save the animals.

Save the planet.

Save your health.

Save your soul.

Go vegan!
    Eating pork is good for the soul. Probably the only meat that I can't, and won't, go without. Lamb a close second. Beef has tailed off, for me, and chicken is just a bit meh.
  • bobmunro said:
    Dave2l said:

100%

Save the animals.

Save the planet.

Save your health.

Save your soul.

Go vegan!
    Eating pork is good for the soul. Probably the only meat that I can't, and won't, go without. Lamb a close second. Beef has tailed off, for me, and chicken is just a bit meh.
    Same for me, Beef was always my go too dish but it has dropped right off now. Pork cooked correctly is superb and I love a bit of tender lamb.  
  • bobmunro said:
    Dave2l said:

100%

Save the animals.

Save the planet.

Save your health.

Save your soul.

Go vegan!
    Same for me, Beef was always my go too dish but it has dropped right off now. Pork cooked correctly is superb and I love a bit of tender lamb.  
    Lamb number 1 for me, then beef, then pork (unless you are including bacon in which case it's number 1!) - not overly bothered about chicken.
  • edited January 2021
    @AddickUpNorth

Whilst I think your heart is in the right place, I think you need to remember this is a divisive topic. Coming across so strong on an online platform probably won’t do you many favours.

I am vegan, I would never eat meat again, but I think there does have to be a level of respect towards other people’s values.

Where I can wholeheartedly agree with you however is that we need to be eating less meat as a species. If not ethically, for the survival of our own planet.

David Attenborough’s ‘A life on our planet’ is a fantastic and scary watch that deals superbly with this subject matter.

I don’t think it’s right to kill the fast food industry. But we definitely need to question it’s sustainability.
  • bobmunro said:
    Dave2l said:

100%

Save the animals.

Save the planet.

Save your health.

Save your soul.

Go vegan!
    Absolutely. Pork belly or slow cooked ribs are my achilles heel at the moment.
  • Laddick01 said:
    @AddickUpNorth

Whilst I think your heart is in the right place, I think you need to remember this is a divisive topic. Coming across so strong on an online platform probably won’t do you many favours.

I am vegan, I would never eat meat again, but I think there does have to be a level of respect towards other people’s values.

Where I can wholeheartedly agree with you however is that we need to be eating less meat as a species. If not ethically, for the survival of our own species.

David Attenborough’s ‘A life on our planet’ is a fantastic and scary watch that deal superbly with this subject matter.

I don’t think it’s right to kill the fast food industry. But we definitely need to question it’s sustainability.

Yes, this is the nailed on answer and the best comment in the thread.

I should have opened with something more like that.
  • Laddick01 said:
    @AddickUpNorth

Where I can wholeheartedly agree with you however is that we need to be eating less meat as a species. If not ethically, for the survival of our own species.

David Attenborough’s ‘A life on our planet’ is a fantastic and scary watch that deal superbly with this subject matter.

The inaction can't continue much longer as the NHS will just collapse under an obesity/Diabetes epidemic. Something will need to be done to fund it.

Health education is there but a lot of people just ignore it. I don't know how you change things.
  • this thread in the most part doesn't really apply to me. had my first Mcdonalds when i was 18. since then i probably have had 10 Mcdonalds in the last 14 years. KFC I've had once and a takeaway pizza I've had once. 

however i do have a curry and also fish and chips at least a couple of times a month. 

when it comes to others i do think that people by now should know the damages that eating fast food on a regular basis does to your body. i'm not gonna preach to them as i'm a smoker and a drinker and i know neither are good for me.

the addictive thing that people on here have spoken about when it comes to fast food is the one that i'm puzzled with. can you addicted to fast food? i never knew that was a thing apart from say, sugar.  
  • edited January 2021
    Many, many years ago when I was still a boy I had a burger at Fulham away. Then I saw on the news a few days afterwards the burger sellers there were charged with selling condemned meat!

I wasn't sick, but was waiting to be. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    iaitch said:
    Asda less than 5% steak mince.  £4:89 a kilo so you can get 5 quarter pounders.  Some pickles and cheap burger buns.  Lets say £1.30 per burger.  However getting a McDs, like any takeaway, is not so much about the food but the perception of it as a treat or fun.  

Going a bit off topic:

We make our own curries now after we moved to an area where the local takeaways are a bit crap and really put work into finding out how they do it in good Indian restaurants.  Here's a good place to start.
    https://glebekitchen.com/indian/

We found a youtube video for Indian music of the kind you might hear in a restaurant and had some bottles of chilled beer and got some of the little steel dishes they serve it up in.  All a  bit tongue in cheek but made an event out of it.

Ruined takeaways for us because what we make now is as good as you can get.

Have you papered the lounge with flock wallpaper to be even more authentic?
    I'm looking into getting a lamp to project a simulation for the duration of the meal.  Then invite the neighbours to steam in drunk at 11:30 and behave boorishly.
  • James86 said:
    I think I’ll pass commenting on my takeaway consumption after I posted about my extortionate daily intake of crisps 🤣
    I can't buy multipacks of crisps as invariably they don't last - just embarrassing. I avoid Doritos entirely now as I can eat endless amounts of them - must be the MSG...
  • I'm starving after reading this thread.
  • Wish there were more real fish and chip shops over here.
  • I can't remember the last time I ate McDonalds but really craving a Big Mac now! 

• sam3110 said:
    What's a lot more healthy that can be churned out at the rate the current fast food can, for the same cost price, that is just as appealing to the masses?
    Most of the plant based meal offerings are healthier. Certainly not all. 

Maybe not as appealing at first but if you want something a bit naughty that tastes very nice and doesn't involve animals I recommend the 'No Meat Company' products. Yet to have anything I haven't enjoyed. 

• Rothko said:
    Course he did the bloke is clearly a time travelling alien. 
  • Laddick01 said:
    @AddickUpNorth

Where I can wholeheartedly agree with you however is that we need to be eating less meat as a species. If not ethically, for the survival of our own planet.

David Attenborough’s ‘A life on our planet’ is a fantastic and scary watch that deals superbly with this subject matter.

It’s definitely improving. When I changed to vegetarian, it became the main go to joke between my group. Now, 6 or so years on, almost all those friends now go vegetarian at least 2 days a week, some have gone full vegetarian. 
  • bobmunro said:
    Dave2l said:
    I don't think the concept of fast food is ever going to end.

It's too easy and too much of a quick fix

In about 2 or 3 weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if I order a Macdonalds.

Just a step backwards though. 

Our body doesn't want it.

We are animals that prefer to make an effort and we want to be useful.

We don't want to rely on heavily processed addictive food.

Obese people are not happy. They are struggling.

They are probably internally going through hell and they can't stop.

Are we? I would say the natural human condition is laziness and we only make an effort when we have no choice!
    Speak for yourself Bob ;)
  • Wilma said:
    I can't remember the last time I ate McDonalds but really craving a Big Mac now! 

The big Mac won't fill you up.

Your hunger will rapidly decrease. So it will feel like a nice therapeutic relief in your mind.

But then your hunger will rapidly increase again. Mostly likely after a vague stomach ache.
    It's part of the problem.

If you eat salmon potatoes and peas. Your hunger will gradually narrow.

And it will very gradually increase (in more time) afterwards.

It's partly why fast food is a revolving door for over weight people. It's dangerous.