Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Remember being in new Zealand when Tua fought David Izonritei, who had beaten him in the Olympics. Was quite funny, my uncle and a load of his mates saying "lift hook" the whole time in their kiwi accents :) he kicked the bloke's arse.
  • Canelo Yildrim this weekend as well. Don't see an upset but should be entertaining enough
  • Carter said:
    Yeah he was short, Lennox is extraordinarily tall as well. Tua for me was in the league just below the top guys purely on his punch, always had a chance especially with the heavyweights more prone to thinking they could just walk the midget down. I'm sure the replay will be easily findable on YouTube of Tua properly starching John Ruiz, that was his jam ironing out careless fighters like that. Ruiz was a decent capable heavyweight too
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jj5e7NPWnrY

Brutal
  • thenewbie said:
    Carter said:
    Yeah he was short, Lennox is extraordinarily tall as well. Tua for me was in the league just below the top guys purely on his punch, always had a chance especially with the heavyweights more prone to thinking they could just walk the midget down. I'm sure the replay will be easily findable on YouTube of Tua properly starching John Ruiz, that was his jam ironing out careless fighters like that. Ruiz was a decent capable heavyweight too
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jj5e7NPWnrY

Brutal
    Wow. That first left hand was crisp
  • Thanks for posting that thenewbie.  Awesome power.  I felt that Tua should have been exposed to tougher fights early on in his career but he was very carefully managed.  He was difficult to put down and in fact didn’t hit the canvas until late in his career.
  • Thanks for posting that thenewbie.  Awesome power.  I felt that Tua should have been exposed to tougher fights early on in his career but he was very carefully managed.  He was difficult to put down and in fact didn’t hit the canvas until late in his career.
    I actually only looked it up as an earlier comment spurred my interest. Obviously he had the power that would probably have rocked just about anyone but I suppose someone with better reach and the ring craft to use it could/would keep him at arms length.
  • There is a much anticipated (in NZ) fight coming up on Saturday - Joseph Parker v Junior Fa.  Both are New Zealanders from South Auckland and both have a history going back to amateur days when they fought 4 times, two victories each.

Junior Fa has a 19-0 record with 10 knockouts which sounds impressive, although you wouldn’t recognise the names of any of his opponents.  However, he has trained alongside AJ and Deontay Wilder.  This is his big chance for the big time although he is ranked 5 on the WBO rankings, two spots behind Parker.

I’d expect Parker to win.  If he doesn’t he might as well hang up his globes.

The last “big fight” in NZ was David Tua v Shane Cameron which was supposed to be the fight of the century in NZ.  Tua demolished him in short time and I’d expect history to be repeated.
    Unanimous decision to Parker.

Memo to Anthony and Tyson:  Nothing to worry about here, chaps.
  • Fa won that all day long. As they read out the scores even Parker thought they were giving it to Fa. His face was a picture!
  • Highlights of the Tua vs Lewis fight was featured on my Facebook stream today - Tua looked dangerous for the first six rounds then ran out of steam and Lennox picked him off at will.  Unanimous decision and rightly so.
  •  Boom, about time! Needs a knockout for a draw, but come on Bill! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Wow that is a decent fight
  • bobmunro said:
    Wow that is a decent fight

I rate Billy Joe as a boxer and good luck to him, but Canelo is on a completely different level.
    Agreed 
  • bobmunro said:

I rate Billy Joe as a boxer, but as a man he is one hell of a tosser. 

• The inactivity of BJS' whole career will show in the canelo fight if a camp injury doesn't put an end to it before. 
  • Is BJS really all that or just nearly all that? We'll find out. 
  • mendonca said:
    Is BJS really all that or just nearly all that? We'll find out. 
    He's fighting someone that is definitely ''all that'.

He probably needs to be all this and that.
  • bobmunro said:

I rate Billy Joe as a boxer and good luck to him, but Canelo is on a completely different level.
    I actually think this is going to be a lot closer than everyone thinks. I reckon, Canello by 1 or 2 rounds (with judges giving it to him by 6+). Would love to see him do it, but against Canelo on Cinco de Mayo he needs a knockout, and I don't think he has the power. Buildup to it should be fun, though I bet Eddie has told him in no uncertain terms that he has to be on his best behaviour. 
  • Bill is one of those fighters who absolutely fights at the level of his opponent. Seen him in some fights he should have won so easily but he didn’t turn up and makes hard work of it. Struggles to get up for tick overs but comes into his own against tougher fighters.

I was in Manchester to see him beat Andy Lee for the world title. He was class then and has been many times since.

but Canelo is something else
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCsayer said:

Ryan Garcia?
  • BJS is a very good boxer but Canelo is another level up in my book. 
  • Out of everyone Billy Joe has the best chance of making that a fight 

Like has already been said he fights to the level of his opponent 
  • Ramirez v Taylor - undisputed at 140 - announced for May 22nd
  • Ramirez v Taylor - undisputed at 140 - announced for May 22nd

That's more like it! Love Josh Taylor
  • Carter said:
    Out of everyone Billy Joe has the best chance of making that a fight 

I would like to think you are correct, but I don't think anyone in the world at middle or super middle has a prayer against Canelo. He has no weaknesses as far as I can tell - immense power, body shots that cut the opponent in half, movement, variety, hand speed and a granite chin.

He will stop Bill. 
  • bobmunro said:
    Carter said:

I would like to think you are correct, but I don't think anyone in the world at middle or super middle has a prayer against Canelo. He has no weaknesses as far as I can tell - immense power, body shots that cut the opponent in half, movement, variety, hand speed and a granite chin.

He will stop Bill. 
    My money won't be going anywhere near this fight, everything is against Billy-Joe. 

If Alvarez stops him I will be surprised as he has taken some huge hits clean on the chin and has that toughness all gypsies/travelers have. Unfortunately for him he doesn't have the equalising power to bother Canelo, he has excellent footwork, speed and is a counter punching southpaw which I think is a big advantage IF he can negate the pressure Alvarez puts on people 

Looking forward to it 
  • Bruno v Tyson - story of their rivalry Sky 1 10pm tonight.
  • bobmunro said:
    Carter said:

He will stop Bill. 
    Canelo on points for me.
    BJS is one tough mother