Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Only - January 2022 Transfer Rumours (Deadline Day p.97)

Comments

• Options
    Richard J said:
    RedRobin said:

The South London Press has been told that Charlton closely scrutinised a deal for Browne but eventually decided the switch was not right for them at this point.

Browne wanted too much money, the club didnt agree given his injury record perhaps?

God help us if he joins Oxford and scores against us next month
    Middboro wanted 400,000 we were only happy to pay a small amount up front the rest over games played …. Boro wanted most  up front 
    Where is that reported? 
    in his head
    4 minutes too late !
    Better than a day late :p
  • Options
    RedRobin said:

The South London Press has been told that Charlton closely scrutinised a deal for Browne but eventually decided the switch was not right for them at this point.

Browne wanted too much money, the club didnt agree given his injury record perhaps?

God help us if he joins Oxford and scores against us next month
    Middboro wanted 400,000 we were only happy to pay a small amount up front the rest over games played …. Boro wanted most  up front 

• Options
    I cant see us getting Fraser, but obviously would be delighted of we did.  If Browne's contract is indeed expiring this summer would be a good one to get on a free. If we could get Fraser, why not do a similar deal to the one with Kirk - loan with an option, then we could theoretically end up balancing the books this summer with those 2 deals 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Sounds like we’re trying to get Fraser on the cheap….Similar to the Kyle Dempsey situation in the summer.

Expect they would sell if we pay the going rate….hence why they have asked their local media to report the bid being lower than £400k in the hope that stimulates Swansea to come in with a £400k+ bid.
  • Options
    felix_31 said:
    I cant see us getting Fraser, but obviously would be delighted of we did.  If Browne's contract is indeed expiring this summer would be a good one to get on a free. If we could get Fraser, why not do a similar deal to the one with Kirk - loan with an option, then we could theoretically end up balancing the books this summer with those 2 deals 
    The only problem with a loan is that we are maxed out and would have to leave someone out.
  • Options
    "We will not be selling our good young players" or words to that effect. This is a vital test now with Burstow.

I will be absolutely gutted if he goes. 
    If he went for £20,000,000, would any of us be disappointed?  For £2,000,000, I know we all would. 
    The fee for Lookman for example was pretty decent, indeed he hasn't really progressed much since then
  • Options
    felix_31 said:
    The only problem with a loan is that we are maxed out and would have to leave someone out.
    Good point Todd, I'm posting whilst at work and not really thinking things through! 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    Don’t get all worked up over that tweet about Burstow going to Chelsea.  
    Why?
    It’s a bit of a coincidence it pops up right at the end of the window, when he’s literally just broken into the first team and scored a couple of goals. 

I could be wrong, but it very much screams content filler/click bait for all those who tweet about player moves 
    Fella works for Goal and has 263,000 followers, so I’m not so sure he needs to make things up, but I could be wrong. 
    If Mason does go I hope we get enough compensation (inc sell ons etc) so that we have funds for a summer rebuild. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    felix_31 said:
    felix_31 said:
    Good point Todd, I'm posting whilst at work and not really thinking things through! 
    Take all the time you need Jacko mate, but the window does close in three days ;)
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Sadly we continue to see young players lured by big clubs and agents who want to make a fast buck and quickly. Nobody could convince any player to stay at his parent club when the premiership big boys come knocking. Even when we were a premier league club Scott Parker was lured away and probably, even though a serious injury intervened, shot his own career in the foot. Personally speaking I hate how it all works or conspires to reduce clubs to being feeders for the big boys with the only Carrott being the club getting a decent enough fee to keep the bailiffs from the door. 
    Scott Parker wasn't a kid when he left. He had played 145 times for us, and we got £10m, so we got a pretty decent return on our investment in him

Instead we seem to be going down a situation where any talented teenagers now get lured away when they've barely played any adult football, and for a fraction of the sum they'll be worth in a few years
  • Options
    If we were top half Premier League and Chelsea came after Burstow he would go. If they come now he will go. Money and opportunity talk in this game. If at 18 they wave 10-12k a week under his nose, incentives for his parents etc etc then who can blame him for moving on?
  • Options
    If Burstow goes I just hope we have an adequate replacement lined up. Now we've loaned out Davison, without Burstow we'd be down to injury prone Aneke, injured Stockley and Washington.
  • Options
    "We will not be selling our good young players" or words to that effect. This is a vital test now with Burstow.

If he went for £20,000,000, would any of us be disappointed?  For £2,000,000, I know we all would. 
    The fee for Lookman for example was pretty decent, indeed he hasn't really progressed much since then
    This must be sarcasm.
  • Options
    If we were top half Premier League and Chelsea came after Burstow he would go. If they come now he will go. Money and opportunity talk in this game. If at 18 they wave 10-12k a week under his nose, incentives for his parents etc etc then who can blame him for moving on?
    Charlton fans.
  • Options
    Was anyone actually in for Kyle Dempsey, or was that just people questioning why we weren't?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fraser was excellent last year.  The previous two years for Burton he was a decent midfielder but no where near the level of play from last year. So was last year the anomaly and has reverted back to his actual quality or was Ipswich just not a good fit
    Fraser was excellent last year, I should imagine, because MKD set up to get the best out of his abilities.

When we played them at home, Fraser was allowed to play and MKD took the points.
    Playing them away, Bowyer asked Pratley to go everywhere with Fraser and to close him out of the game. MKD couldn't function and Charlton won the game.

That's the problem when the gameplan relies on one player as the fulcrum.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    WSS said:

He hasn't really progressed?!

You think he'd have been better off staying at Charlton? 82 appearances in the PL, 22 in the Bundesliga by the age of 24?
    I stand my that comment, I'm talking about his all round game and where most of us would have expected him to be by now. OBVIOUSLY I'm not suggesting he should have stayed with us.

When he left us FIVE years ago, he was seen a major prospect, the sort you'd have expected to have played for England by now. Instead

Struggled at Everton
    Did well during a loan spell at RBL, but struggled when he signed permanently
    Uninspiring loan spell at Fulham
    Reasonable loan spell at Leicester, but nothing eye catching
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Fraser was excellent last year.  The previous two years for Burton he was a decent midfielder but no where near the level of play from last year. So was last year the anomaly and has reverted back to his actual quality or was Ipswich just not a good fit
    Fraser was excellent last year, I should imagine, because MKD set up to get the best out of his abilities.

When we played them at home, Fraser was allowed to play and MKD took the points.
    Playing them away, Bowyer asked Pratley to go everywhere with Fraser and to close him out of the game. MKD couldn't function and Charlton won the game.

That's the problem when the gameplan relies on one player as the fulcrum.

He wasn't brilliant for Ipswich against us this season. 
  • Options
    Rotherham outbid Plymouth for leading league of Ireland striker Georgie Kelly another one gone.
  • Options
    Omar Bogle has signed for Hartlepool. Another one we missed out on…….
    Cheers Colin 
  • Options
    That is an incredibly Rotherham-esque signing.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
  • Options
    Rotherham outbid Plymouth for leading league of Ireland striker Georgie Kelly another one gone.
    We don't have much of a track record of signing players straight from Ireland. Has there been anyone decent since Darren Randolph?