Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Wigan Athletic vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 12th February - 3pm KO

Comments

• Options
    Oh we lost, to be honest I've checked out this season, spent the afternoon watching the charlton Newcastle 98/99 match on YouTube, when we had a team that gave a shit, had effort and minerals, nothing this current team have at all
  • Options
    If us as loyal fans of many years are deflated and uninspired now how on earth do you rally and an XI with nothing to play for and 3 months to go!  A lot more flat dead performances coming, but as I said they’ll turn it on last month as the window approaches.
  • Options
    I’ll tell you one thing it ain’t: the formation. These players wouldn’t be good enough in a 352, a 442, a 433 or whatever else you want to dream up.

Funny how this quote wasn't rolled out when it was Adkins as manager. 
    Zzz jog on.
  • Options
    The summary remains that a mid table average League 1 side, which we are, lost narrowly away from home to promotion contenders.  

Fact is we have to address the defending of set pieces, round the back and being run at.  We look exposed in all those scenarios and have to accept our keeper will come for nothing.

Only need to reference play offs if you are talking about future seasons or past successes.  This year it’s not and never will be a thing
  • Options
    That was rubbish. Definitely the worst Charlton team I’ve seen. The general quality of the players is very poor. We have a lot of work to do.
    I was watching the stream and switched it off after the Wigan 2nd. First time I’ve done that. I knew we weren’t coming back and I just couldn’t be bothered any more. I have better things to do with my life. Truly awful. 
  • Options
    We are very poor - not much else to say?
  • Options
    I’ll tell you one thing it ain’t: the formation. These players wouldn’t be good enough in a 352, a 442, a 433 or whatever else you want to dream up.

If tactics aren't important, why are we playing everyone out of position to accommodate JJ's preferred tactics?
  • Options
    It’s just a shame they still get paid as that’s obviously why they’re there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Getting to the stage where I hope Laurence Bassini succeeds tbh /s
    Give him the money yourself then, and fuck off. Don't need "fans" like you wishing ill on the club. 

Fucking embarrassing comment.
    Blimey, probably a tongue in cheek joke no?  That’s why I lol’d anyway.
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Off_it said:
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Give him the money yourself then, and fuck off. Don't need "fans" like you wishing ill on the club. 

/s = sarcasm...

Muppet
    Well it just isn't funny, Kermit.
  • Options
    Scoreline flattered us, Wigan could have had 4/5.

Will do a full breakdown on the train back, but that was really poor
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    DDOUBLEE said:

Calm down, it's very clearly a joke  
  • Options
    To be fair if your 3 top strikers and new midfield dynamo are out injured it was always going to be difficult. But blimey that was awful for the most part.

Surely a number of these players have got to be moved on. And I hope they move Leko back to Birmingham tonight. 

We desperately need a new keeper. Once again MacGillivray has not come for a cross all game and his inability to do so just puts us under huge pressure. 

Seeing all the old pros wearing their multi coloured boots, the only thing that made me laugh today was seeing young Kanu come on wearing his black boots that his mum had bought him!  Hopefully he can now afford to buy himself some nice coloured ones! 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Off_it said:
    DDOUBLEE said:

/s = sarcasm...

Muppet
    Well it just isn't funny, Kermit.
    Go and have a nap mate
  • Options
    Any positives from today?

Hmm ...

A goal for Lee on his recall to the first XI ...

A debut for Kanu ...

90 minutes closer to the end of another bobbins season ...

The last two times we were in Division Three we got promoted in the third season ...

That is all I can muster.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022

If tactics aren't important, why are we playing everyone out of position to accommodate JJ's preferred tactics?
    There’s a reason Clare is playing on the right side and Purrington / Famewo on the left rather than Lavelle and Pearce. The idea of asking Pearce and Lavelle to overlap and get to the byline is comical.

Who’s in your team with a 442? And does that team get a result today?
  • Options
    Well that's the season over. Ffs dont play anyone who is likely to spark a contract extension even if it means playing U23 players. Just clueless and toothless from players that should know better.
    Sadly admittedly due to injuries etc JJ is being shown to be like a rabbit in the headlights, times like this happen but he doesnt seem to be able to adapt to suit the players that he does have available and without fail seems incapable of making changes until the 80th min when it's just too late. Today was exactly the same as Tuesday the writing was on the wall but nothing was done about it
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited February 2022
    Charlton had a bright start scored an unexpectedly great goal. Gilbey on his weaker foot hit the bar for 2-0. It was all downhill from there. First Wigan goal was poor with Matthews failing to make a tackle and Clare flat footed giving away a soft penalty. Inniss had a solid game and should have been awarded a penalty near the end of the first but could have given a penalty against in the second.
    Charlton tired as the game wore on. Clare was a risk for being sent off. Maybe subs could have come on earlier but that was a weak bench. Second half was poor a with negligible attacking threat. It was not a surprise when Wigan scored. Wigan did not look great, and didn't have to do to much. Wigan goal came from a poorly defended set piece again.
    Sticking at 352 when there is not the players for it is not good. Having Clare at right centre back and Purrington at left centre back was always going to be a risk. Would like to see the formation change a bit more to the players available.
    Another 2-1 defeat, very disappointing.

• Options
    Just my personal opinion but DJ has looked better as a wing back / through the middle than he ever did as a winger in a 433.
  • Options
    And to end a bad day JJ just said that Aneke and Washington not likely to be fit for next Saturday 
  • Options
    Poor old Jacko on the aftermatch interview looks totally shattered and pissed off, understandably on the showing second half, first half was better... shit that we had so many off injured or covid, onto the next game and we go again, but summer had better be a good window..
  • Options

There’s a reason Clare is playing on the right side and Purrington / Famewo on the left rather than Lavelle and Pearce. The idea of asking Pearce and Lavelle to overlap and get to the byline is comical.

Who’s in your team with a 442? And does that team get a result today?

McGillivray
    Clare, Innis, Famewo, Purrington
    Dobson, Gilbey, Morgan
    DJ, Burstow, Leko

I'd say playing 2 non CBs at CB is getting comical.
  • Options
    A left back at centre back.
    A midfielder at centre back.
    A right back at right wing back.
    A right winger at left wing back.
    A forward, or whatever Leko is, as striker.
    That’s 50% of our outfield players playing out of position/not their preferred position. All to make sure we can play this sacred 352.

This 352, which uses players out of position for the centre back and wing backs, has given us 1 clean sheet out of the past 9 matches.
    We had 4 centre backs fit for today (5 including Elerewe), but we played 2 non CB’s for the 3 CB positions. We had more CB’s on the bench than on the pitch.

We could have easily played a 433 or 442 diamond, with players generally in their right positions.

Sorry, but its just stubbornness at this point. The loyalty to the 352 is baffling, we just don’t have the personnel for it. Too many individual errors and players not knowing their roles defensively. We need to stop leaking goals.

Our team sheet is just a mess whenever the lineup changes. Alan Turing couldn't work out whose meant to be playing where.
    Nail on the head @balham red. Just doesn't make sense at all.