Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard ownership discussion 2022-3 onwards (Meeting with CAST p138)

Comments

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    cabbles said:
    Top 4 budget apparently.  Yet we signed 3 free transfers from Swindon, 1 from Rochdale, 1 from Lincoln, 2 loans and one of out of contract last playing for Crewe?  If that’s a top 4 budget then I’ve grossly over estimated the money swimming around in football 
    Yes but it's also all of the signings before that, including Stockley and Aneke who came from the division above, Fraser, Lavelle, DJ, Kirk, Clare all signed in the last two years.

Remember that transfer fees aren't paid as a lump sum up front, they're almost always paid over time. 

Plus, frees will have signing on fees and bigger wages. 

I can't verify the claim, but I could understand the maths if it were true. 

The bigger problem is, when you look at the list of players who we've signed for fees, only Clare and Fraser are first choice. Stockley doesn't fit the system. Aneke is never fit. 

It's not that we don't spend money, it's that, to this point under TS, we haven't spent money well. 
    You make a very good point SD, our best run of games in terms of wins has happened twice under TS, the first time after Adkins replaced Bowyer and the second was after Jackson replaced Adkins. In both instances the high press game was not being forced upon either manager and in both cases those two managers knew that the team needed wins on the board to move forward. When left to manage both managers produced a winning formula very quickly, I would argue that this would be the case again under Garner but TS, with no experience at all, is dictating tactics. Garner will eventually come under pressure to produce a winning formula, most everyone in the ground can see that we have a centre forward who is one of the best in the division but is being played in a system that clearly doesn't suit him, we are also asking Kirk or CBT to provide goals which again is clearly not their strength. The worrying thing for me is that TS states that he wants reach cost neutral in two years time but by his own interference he is stopping a team progressing and costing himself more money in the process. 
  • Options
    No doubt I’m going to get hammered for this, but what do we actually want?

We protested against Roland/Katrien & Sandgaard was proclaimed as the second coming. Now we’re not dominating all comers, Sandgaard is getting pelters, I’m no longer sure what the end game/target is 

Did TS make a mistake with his blow the league out of the water, yes - Are tickets too expensive, yes - should the likes of Olly Groome have been treated better, yes

I've lost sight of what we actually want, are a loaded Saudi group going to be interested in a League 1 club, no & at the same time, Sandgaard isn’t loaded enough to give an open chequebook - he’s made mistakes in terms of not backing Garner but I’m not sure what we’re actually looking for any more 

TS main issue is all the over promising rubbish he came up with at the start.  It fuelled fans expectations and he has massively under delivered.  

What I 100% would say is I think it strange the Trust saying if Charlton fans were in charge we would have bought in a striker... We make £8M loss per year.  If fans were in charge we would be bust.  A Trust demanding (?) players seems to me like over stepping the mark with a loss making club.

Tuesday night was abysmal and one of my worst Charlton memories but it never crossed my.mind not to go in future / renew and I am surprised by the number of fans on here saying they will stop going.  Never figured @golfaddick for a glory hunter for example.
    I don’t get that. It was frustrating, we were poor at times, and our finishing was abysmal, but worst Charlton memories? Wait til we get stuffed at home by Lincoln or someone. Because that’ll happen. 
    Lose today and it could all get very ugly. 
    The key to progressing as a club is reuniting the ownership of the freeholds with the ownership of the football club. If there are to be protests I’d rather they were against Roland who’s preventing that. 
  • Options
    Are the fans forums meetings recorded?
    Any chance of us seeing it?
  • Options
    I didn’t know he had another son. The “redundancies” etc make sense now. Just clearing the way. If he’s got a laptop there’s a job for him at CAFC!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    No doubt I’m going to get hammered for this, but what do we actually want?

We protested against Roland/Katrien & Sandgaard was proclaimed as the second coming. Now we’re not dominating all comers, Sandgaard is getting pelters, I’m no longer sure what the end game/target is 

Did TS make a mistake with his blow the league out of the water, yes - Are tickets too expensive, yes - should the likes of Olly Groome have been treated better, yes

I've lost sight of what we actually want, are a loaded Saudi group going to be interested in a League 1 club, no & at the same time, Sandgaard isn’t loaded enough to give an open chequebook - he’s made mistakes in terms of not backing Garner but I’m not sure what we’re actually looking for any more 

TS main issue is all the over promising rubbish he came up with at the start.  It fuelled fans expectations and he has massively under delivered.  

What I 100% would say is I think it strange the Trust saying if Charlton fans were in charge we would have bought in a striker... We make £8M loss per year.  If fans were in charge we would be bust.  A Trust demanding (?) players seems to me like over stepping the mark with a loss making club.

Tuesday night was abysmal and one of my worst Charlton memories but it never crossed my.mind not to go in future / renew and I am surprised by the number of fans on here saying they will stop going.  Never figured @golfaddick for a glory hunter for example.
    I don’t get that. It was frustrating, we were poor at times, and our finishing was abysmal, but worst Charlton memories? Wait til we get stuffed at home by Lincoln or someone. Because that’ll happen. 
    Lose today and it could all get very ugly. 
    The key to progressing as a club is reuniting the ownership of the freeholds with the ownership of the football club. If there are to be protests I’d rather they were against Roland who’s preventing that. 
    Not just the game. No atmosphere. Tiny crowd. No away fans. Boring footy. Raining.  The whole thing just felt like a training game for me. There was no passion in the stands and little on the pitch. It was dreadful.
    Tbh when I look back I remember games like that, but that was when I was sitting in the West or East stands. I remember games against Rochdale and Oldham during the Slade era in particular where it was really painful. I think being near the Covered End choir masks the overall lack of atmosphere I guess. And even they went very quiet in the second half. It’s weird how clubs like Sunderland and Portsmouth don’t suffer the same drop in gates and atmosphere that we do. Is it because fans have more alternative options on a Saturday afternoon or Tuesday evening in London?
    Can you imagine what it’d be like if we were in L2?
  • Options
    Are the fans forums meetings recorded?
    Any chance of us seeing it?
    ‘Fraid not. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think we would get that much for Clare.
    Would it make a difference if we did? It's not like we've reinvested the Burstow and Pope money.
    Burstow effectively paid for Chuks and Fraser (I know they signed before Burstow left). Both undisclosed but Chuks was said to cost £300k and Fraser must have cost a similar figure.
  • Options
    We must have had a crazy budget last year if we have lost a number of the highest earners and have a much smaller squad as well as not paying a fee for a player. And the players we have brought in are from League 2. It has never been about busting the bank budgets, but sensible decisions for me. Something Sandgaard looks incapable of making.
  • Options
    Very confused by the Pompey comparison, I thought the Eisner's model was very much more about investing in Fratton Park and bringing that into the 21st century as a stadium and not really spending huge amounts on players. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rob said:
    Garnerball was looking promising after the Plymouth game but since then everything has fallen apart and our players are being shown up as just not good enough. Or, is it the coaching that is being shown up as just not good enough! So much for needing 2 more windows to make us promotion challengers. Looks to me like Garner is starting to run out of ideas. The wheels may very well be coming off the bus and it’s all down to penny pinching by our owner. That’s how I see it anyway. Not good times to be a Charlton fan. We are well and truly going backwards. Who fancies L2 next year? That’s where we could well be heading. 
    Bit of an over reaction Rob. I agree about the penny pinching but, as someone else pointed out, our stats are very good but we’re been let down by our ability to stick the ball in the net.
    That's ok then, only the most important thing to win games.  If only the EFL would give points for tippy tappy football.
    We’re creating chances and having shots. It wasn’t long ago we weren’t even doing that. 
    But if you think we’d be better off abandoning the passing (‘tippy tappy’) style of football and resorting to lumping it up to Stockley in a 442 system, then good luck with that. We haven’t got the players for it. We arguably haven’t got the players for the passing game either, but I’d rather watch us develop that style over time than give up on it. 
    But without cash for players we’re screwed, whichever system we’re playing. 
    I wasn't suggesting we go route one football there are other ways of playing and getting a balance between possession and being hard to beat in getting results, we need to score more goals to win games or keep clean sheets. Like virtually most teams that get promoted from this league. 

Thinking we can be champagne Man City whilst we have a squad put together with beer money is delusional.  Garner has stated he needs another few transfer windows at least to even be competing at the top.

Crowds are already down there is discontent among the fan base and Sandgaard's main rhetoric is breaking even. This situation isn't going to enhance Garners chances of completing what is required getting out of this low down division.  

Only Fulham and Swansea have played their way out of this league and they both had proper financial backing to get players that were above this league in quality.

We have gotten out of this league every time since the first time we were relegated to it by being a hard team to beat with a cutting edge up front not possession for the sake of it.  We still played good passing football.

but we’re been let down by our ability to stick the ball in the net'  

My point though was regarding yours. We need more goals agreed, but change things to to play to our strengths, we have one fit striker and we are playing him out of the game every week.  That is no different than square pegs round holes of which Adkins and JJ got slaughtered for. 

I admit our football has looked good at times and I would love nothing better than for Garner to pull it off (in fact I have money on us to finish top half, not holding my brief on that yet as things are).  However he hasn't been backed and we don't have the fire power so he needs to have a rethink and change it to keep us in the mix.       
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    TS, when answering if he was still committed to the Club for the long haul, replied “Very much so, or else I wouldn’t go through all this pain."  There's really no need for him to be inflicting self-harm though. That's no good for him or us and he should be considering his exit strategy if he won't change tack.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Forget about systems for a minute. We need to take stock of goalscorers and missers in the squad. We need another category too, missers who could become goalscorers. Then look who we have and sort out a formation around getting a decent number of goals in it. Whether that be Garnerball or John Beck ball.

We need to do this because you can't rely on one or two players getting the goals. Well we can't. Maybe if you had two 30 goal a season players you could. It makes us too easy to defend against.
  • Options
    I think in a lot of countries you can get work permits if you are bringing money and jobs in. It isn't always millions either. I don't know about this country but about £250k will get you one in Italy.
  • Options
    Fine. Let the stubborn bastard bankrupt himself, it’s looking like it won’t make much difference to the club either way.
  • Options
    If he could just employ a CEO with football experience.   Just try it as the other options have not and are not working!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Of course we could employ a CEO who is as useless as Sandgaard. Don't get me wrong, I think we need one, but a lot of Sandgaard's decisions since he took over a village idiot could have questioned. I certainly did :)
  • Options
    @NorthStandUltra

I have been giving your question some thought and think I know the answer, it is quite simple.

We want an owner whom is a multi billionaire whom will bank roll massive losses every year to get us back up the leagues.  But they must not buy the league and the club needs to stay sustainable and pay its own way.  The individual needs to have made their money from legitimate ways and ideally be a fan.

They need to bring back our best ex players but not look to bring any ex players back - never go back.

But they do need to go back and look at our history and understand it.

They need to communicate with the fans, but not the way they may wish to, but the way the fans want them too.  Not too little, definitely not too much.

They should accept criticism from the fans without flinching and certainly never criticise back.

They need to keep lobbing their money in, whilst being sustainable, getting CAT A whilst breaking even, holding on to all our good young players whilst not over spending and keeping season ticket and walk up prices really low but never free and without running into debt.

They need to bring back Varney and any other previous employees who are fans and are no longer working for us.  Pay them whatever they want as the owner is a billionaire and can afford it, but obviously don't put the club in debt and risk it's future.

They need to buy The Valley and Sparrows for whatever RD wants, no matter the business sense in it and even if they can't contact him.

Above all, they should understand the next 2 weeks is always crucial.

They don't exist.
    Even if one did exist and he was ours, there would still be some on here who would find something to moan about.
  • Options
    There came a point with Roland where he could have done anything and I still would have hated him. It’s definitely not too late for Sandgaard to turn things around by employing experienced football people and reversing the shambles he’s created, but he won’t do it. 
  • Options
    When arrogance meets ignorance and stubbornness failure and chaos ensues.
    Ah, but "Failure is the mother of success" and "It takes more than one day for the river to freeze three feet deep." 😎
  • Options
    Unfortunately we have reached a point where unless there is a big change within the club this is only going one way. There is no need for demonstrations 
  • Options
    The top 4 budget statement is just ridiculous it doesnt matter what the budget is if you dont spend it does it. TS could just as easily say our budget for transfers is £200m if he doesnt spend a penny its irrelevant. I'm struggling to understand what the hell is going on if I'm honest we have gone from an air of positivity to total distrust! All these stories of staff being treated badly, stupid statements from a board member, TS trying to deflect by bullshit, his partner apparently running the ship day to day and making a fuck up of it. He needs to grab control really quickly and steady things by making some sensible decisions re issues like ticket pricing, stem the bad press or he will see attendances fall and apathy start to spread. Most fans just want to be able to go and watch their team and it be an enjoyable experience without all this drama going on constantly
  • Options
    Gues What! those teams with bigger budgets than us are above us in the league, just like last season. that is a good way to know who has a bigger budget.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    The top 4 budget statement is just ridiculous it doesnt matter what the budget is if you dont spend it does it. TS could just as easily say our budget for transfers is £200m if he doesnt spend a penny its irrelevant. I'm struggling to understand what the hell is going on if I'm honest we have gone from an air of positivity to total distrust! All these stories of staff being treated badly, stupid statements from a board member, TS trying to deflect by bullshit, his partner apparently running the ship day to day and making a fuck up of it. He needs to grab control really quickly and steady things by making some sensible decisions re issues like ticket pricing, stem the bad press or he will see attendances fall and apathy start to spread. Most fans just want to be able to go and watch their team and it be an enjoyable experience without all this drama going on constantly
    Budget is such a poor choice of word when you give it no context.

If we are talking about the total costs of the football club I would suspect that 4th biggest isn't actually that far from the truth.

If you talk about the cost of the squad.  It's probably not far from the truth.

If your talking about the wage bill for the 18 or so "senior pros" it's probably not close to true.

What I would say is our first team wage bill budget is almost certainly in the top ten.  The fact we are needing snookers, in September, for a play off push suggests it's not been spent very well.