Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

My biggest regret in life...

I just wanted to put this out to all lifers to see what the response was...

What's your biggest regret in life?

I know some might not have any but just wanted to here if anyone had anything they consider there biggest regret...

Comments

• Life is a bit short for regrets, but to anwer your question.
    Personally. Never knowing my Dad ( died when I was 8)
    Charlton. I think they achieved everything I could hope for in my lifetime. Maybe a big final win would have been nice. No, I wasn't around the last time.
  • I guess life is to short for regrets, but I guess mistakes are made which can be regrets... Sorry to hear about your dad. I'm not close to my old man neither.

Would be nice to see the Charlton get back to the prem in the next 20
    years...
  • I have a biggest regret, hopefully I won't top it in the future.
  • edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]I have a biggest regret, hopefully I won't top it in the future.

You can't go out that way fella!!!
  • sounds soppy but mine has got to be treating my ex without the respect she deserved. In the end she got fed up with me and now im sitting in my pants watching top gear on my own.

Still, im only 26 and im a believer that all things happen for a reason....
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]sounds soppy but mine has got to be treating my ex without the respect she deserved. In the end she got fed up with me and now im sitting in my pants watching top gear on my own.

Take things for granted?
  • non , but im only 19 so, id love to see charlton get promoted! all those demotions/Relegations are just depressing lol
  • [cite]Posted By: charltonaddickedmatt[/cite]non , but im only 19 so, id love to see charlton get promoted! all those demotions/Relegations are just depressing lol

19 years without regrets is good going. Just keep that going.
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]sounds soppy but mine has got to be treating my ex without the respect she deserved. In the end she got fed up with me and now im sitting in my pants watching top gear on my own.

Sitting in your underpants having a J Arthur whilst watching Top Gear...!

What's there to regret...?
  • Je ne regrette rien
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: rhinosvalley[/cite]Flying, Nerves...and Beer.....

All the years I have wasted on getting off planes due to my next regret....nerves....the trips, holidays, destinations I have missed over the years due to my nerves getting the better of me....and the money Ive lost due to the fact I wasnt strong enough to say - your not going to beat me deal with it......if you dont suffer with nerves then it has hard to explain or try to....but I have to live with all the trips Ive missed out due to neves...panic...

Fair play fella, at least your aware of your problems most deny there selves and don't seek the help.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Je ne regrette rien[/quote]

We we
  • Beautiful Canadian girl in my schol. Went out with her a few times, but never really told her how I felt (I was only 16). She was the first love of my life - went back to Canada and was killed in a motorbike accident. She was only 19. That's about the only thing I 'regret' in my life - everything else is just part of living - some things you do are stupid, you make mistakes, learn from them and move on.
  • @rhinos: Might not be my place to say, but I'm sure hynotherapy has good success with things like fear of flying etc. You may be able to develop coping strategies you can use when you feel the nerves beginning to fray.
  • Worrying too much in my younger years about what other people thought of me. These days if someone doesn't like me then the problem is theirs, not mine.
  • edited July 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Beautiful Canadian girl in my schol. Went out with her a few times, but never really told her how I felt (I was only 16). She was the first love of my life - went back to Canada and was killed in a motorbike accident. She was only 19. That's about the only thing I 'regret' in my life - everything else is just part of living - some things you do are stupid, you make mistakes, learn from them and move on.[/quote]

That's a sad story, sorry to hear that.
  • Funny how many of these revolve around girls! Mine is about a missed opportunity on that front too....
  • With all due respect ... especially to the tragic examples ... there is only ever one thing that all of us might regret:

Failing to achieve your potential

You may be good, bad or indifferent ... but being all that you are able to be ... that's what it is about.

Fail to do that, and then you can be regretful.

Otherwise ... live with it.
  • edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Beautiful Canadian girl in my schol. Went out with her a few times, but never really told her how I felt (I was only 16). She was the first love of my life - went back to Canada and was killed in a motorbike accident. She was only 19. That's about the only thing I 'regret' in my life - everything else is just part of living - some things you do are stupid, you make mistakes, learn from them and move on.
    Woah, similar thing to myself, was this girl from England (I'm Irish) in my school, was like best of friends with her, she asked me out but I said no (was young and stupid) and instantly regretted it. She died about 5 years later in a car accident.
  • [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]With all due respect ... especially to the tragic examples ... there is only ever one thing that all of us might regret:

You may be good, bad or indifferent ... but being all that you are able to be ... that's what it is about.

Otherwise ... live with it.
    Nope. I haven't achieved my potential - and won't. 99.999% of people never achieve their true potential. The key to not regretting this is knowing it in the first place - and understanding it.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]With all due respect ... especially to the tragic examples ... there is only ever one thing that all of us might regret:

Otherwise ... live with it.[/quote]
    Nope. I haven't achieved my potential - and won't. 99.999% of people never achieve their true potential. The key to not regretting this is knowing it in the first place - and understanding it.[/quote]

And the reason is?

Another one from the 'I give up or I won't bother because it's too much like hard work' brigade.

Oh, did I forget ... "the World is against me" .. or "I never had the chance"?
  • few month's ago i was seeing this beautiful turkish girl it was going so well until i saw her cousin kiss her(on the cheek) ..bingo bango now im single and she's deleted me off facebook(sign that its all over ;( )

also i got Mcleod on the back of my shirt when he first signed... my lifes full of regrets and im only 16 hahah = D
  • Worrying too much but getting better with age, lifes too short to worry about things you can't change. Not going to Uni. Few other things had some interesting hazy teenage years. Spending the money I had saved to go travelling and giving into emotional blackmail from my fella at the time.

Sounds awful Rhino hope things pick up for you.
  • edited July 2010
    Dave, if I can project my own thoughts onto what I think Leroy is saying, I think you've got him wrong. The problem with the idea of fulfilling one's potential is that it is ever-elusive. I consider myself a high-acheiver, but my problem is that, as much as I have achieved (whatever that's worth!), I hold myself to still higher goals. I by nature am never satisfied. The job is never done, or could always have been done better and not through any lack of work! I hold other people to those high standards and that puts tension on any relationships, because how can anyone live up to expectations when there is always room for improvement?
  • I don't think there's a single person on this planet who has ever reached their full potential. The power of the human brain is so immense that we can't even comprehend it's full capabilities. One can only ever strive to do one's best and then take satisfaction from the achievement.
    My own biggest regret would be working and saving too hard in my youth and younger years whilst my mates were out enjoying themselves, only to see all my hard work and sacrifice's wiped out due to some greedy bankers and poor regulation in the USA.
    The moral of the story, enjoy your youth and live for the day, because it will be gone in the blink of an eye.
  • edited July 2010
    I deeply regret not getting my arse in gear and getting tickets for The Stone Roses in Blackpool in 89. I saw them prior to that and afterwards but that was some show by the looks of it on the live DVD. I also regret getting so stoned at Spike Island that i barely remember that show as well!!
  • Regrets, well i am coming up to 60, therefore i should have loads of regrets, but with the exception of 1, hopefully i have turned regrets into missed oppertunities and then taken the oppertunity to sort these out, i.e. my wife hates flying has it restricted our holidays, no, we go cruising. The regret that you / i cant overcome are the ones which are time related and the time has gone, i.e. the words that would have meant so much to someone, or that would have healed that wound. My big regret is missing out on my kids growing up because i was trying to reach my potential, when they where young, i never heard their first words, never saw their first steps, never went to the school plays etc., did i reach my potential yes i probable been as successful in my industry as my limited ability allowed, i own my own company, some people say i am comfortably off as i can afford a nice car, good holidays been successfully married for over 30 years, but i know deep down that i have missed out on the greatest gift, the sight and sounds of my kids growing up, if i could go back in time would i do anything different? who knows, the only thing i can tell you is that some regrets you can overcome but others will live with to the day you die.
  • sleeping with my missus best mate?
  • Not leaving Japan as soon as I found out my step father had terminal cancer. I was living there teaching English, I hated the company I was working for anyway, but for some reason I delayed returning to London. When I did eventually leave I went back I did so via Bangkok, hoping to pick up some work and maybe eventually relocating there. My mum kept a lot of just how bad things were from me and it wasn't until I called here from Bangkok that I realised he was actually going to die. I booked a flight straight away and got back a week before he passed away.

I'll always regret the fact that I didn't just drop everything and fly straight back to London as soon as I found out.