Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Qatar fails first test.

edited January 2011 in General Charlton
Qatar held the final of the Asian Cup yesterday (Japan beat Australia 1-0 aet) but its all kicked off here with complaints about the organisation.

Thousands of ticket holders were refused entry to the ground last night as the organisers had bussed in coachloads of Indian/Nepalese labourers to make the ground look full!!

Only problem being that they let these workers in at 3pm and kick-off was 6pm.
So all these poor japanese and aussie fans were all turned away as the stadium was supposedly already full.

Riot police with dogs were deployed, but not called into proper action luckily. Chaos outside and thousands of disappointed people.

Roll on 2022!!

More here...
and here.

Comments

• Well it really doesn't matter what they do between now and 2022 as i'm sure all the fifa knobs have already cashed their cheques (bribes) and besides, how many of them will be around in 11 yrs when the shit really hits the fan?
    By then it will be another load of freeloaders running the game who will wash their hands of any wrong doing whilst doing the very same thing themselves with the 2034 tournament
  • Why am I not surprised.

Imagine travelling out there from Japan/Australia.Wherever with your ticket for the final and NOT getting in. Shambolic.
  • Off topic but this makes Japan unofficial world Champions
  • http://www.goal.com/en/news/3550/asian-cup/2011/01/29/2329203/police-denied-fans-with-tickets-access-to-japan-australia
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Off topic but this makes Japan unofficial world Champions

Good game actually and a great goal to win. Japanese football is great and I predict them to do well over the next couple of world cups. Along with South Korea, who have a recent world cup record that is better than England's, I think they play some of the most entertaining football in the world.

As we all know Qatar is a joke host nation and I hope it goes horribly wrong for FIFA in 2022.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Why am I not surprised.

Imagine travelling out there from Japan/Australia.Wherever with your ticket for the final and NOT getting in. Shambolic.

2 aussies who flew over for the match ended up being arrested and put in jail for jumping over the fence into the stadium after being refused entry with their valid tickets.

Friends of mine just walked straight into the ground without even showing their tickets, found people sitting in their seats and were moved to the VIP area above the Emir and ended up watching the game from armchairs in the stand!!

Piss up & Brewery spring to mind.
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Off topic but this makes Japan unofficial world Champions

Good game actually and a great goal to win.

Cracking goal to win it in the end.
  • 2022 will be fine. Good to see an Asian team win the Asian cup.
  • edited January 2011
    Japan have made great strides in both football and rugby
    Great to see them rewarded for their excellent national association (motto Green Grass and A Ball Expands the Circle of Friendship) and individual endeavour
    To get into the top two (professional) leagues, clubs need to be backed by their local government, a community of fans and have to have corporate sponsors rather than a parent company or a corporation.
    Japan has very strong links with Brazil due to migrations there in the late 19th century, so they have many excellent Brazilian players in their leagues
    I have watched a lot of Yokohama matches (my local team when staying over there), spurred on by their success in the late 90's. Kashima continue to be the Man U of J football, sadly.

PS I like the fact that Japanese association changed their name from shu kyu (kick ball) to sak ka (soccer) after WW2 occupation
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Off topic but this makes Japan unofficial world Champions

They've been unofficial World Champions since October.
  • Sponsored links:

• old thread revisited .. according to today's 'Times' .. 'thousands' of migrant workers have died during the building of the World Cup stadia .. THOUSANDS !! .. even the ancient Roman emperors would have balked at that number .. too late now, BUT as we all know, what a disgrace it was to give this medieval country such a prestigious tournament
    Died of what??
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    old thread revisited .. according to today's 'Times' .. 'thousands' of migrant workers have died during the building of the World Cup stadia .. THOUSANDS !! .. even the ancient Roman emperors would have balked at that number .. too late now, BUT as we all know, what a disgrace it was to give this medieval country such a prestigious tournament
    Died of what??
    Boredom.
  • Kane also having his say on it yet a former England captain is happy to be paid millions by Qatar to say how wonderful it all is. That said Beckham will stick his face on anything for a few quid.

England captain Harry Kane wants to 'shine light' on Qatar issues - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60852693

• Taxi_Lad said:
    old thread revisited .. according to today's 'Times' .. 'thousands' of migrant workers have died during the building of the World Cup stadia .. THOUSANDS !! .. even the ancient Roman emperors would have balked at that number .. too late now, BUT as we all know, what a disgrace it was to give this medieval country such a prestigious tournament
    Died of what??
    You don’t know?
  • Like with a lot of things nowerdays this absolutely pisses me off. Yet nought gets done and those responsible are left unpunished. 
  • Like with a lot of things nowerdays this absolutely pisses me off. Yet nought gets done and those responsible are left unpunished. 
    Saudi oil, Qatari liquid gas .. now that Russia is non grata, these barbaric outfits assume even greater importance and will make even more £ $ and €
  • Wonder how the god botherers reconcile the existence of their man in the sky with the shittiest countries getting all the resources... ;) 
  • Disgrace that Qatar got the tournament but only money matters.
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m going out there for the World Cup.

The organisation of accommodation is the biggest logistical mess people are dealing with at the moment. I actually went and paid over the odds through an agent to ensure getting accommodation for 10 nights.

Think this will be the last World Cup that is handed to a single country, and especially one as small as Qatar.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Why am I not surprised.

2 aussies who flew over for the match ended up being arrested and put in jail for jumping over the fence into the stadium after being refused entry with their valid tickets.

Friends of mine just walked straight into the ground without even showing their tickets, found people sitting in their seats and were moved to the VIP area above the Emir and ended up watching the game from armchairs in the stand!!

Piss up & Brewery spring to mind.
    So you have tickets to watch your team win and book their place in the Finals. You end up in jail having missed the game which your team has lost. I suppose that is the ultimate definition of having a bad day.
  • Didn’t this story do the rounds a few years back with tales of workers having their passports taken etc?
  • 6,500 deaths and rampant slavery.  Well done FIFA.
  • edited March 2022
    Boycot it and play it elsewhere next year, f ck ittttt.

It was possible to change various international sporting events for Covid, so why not for this?

Be lovely to see FIFA and Qatar sort that one out n all
  • It is absolutely disgusting but I don’t mind admitting I’m a hypocrite cos I’ll enjoy this World Cup as much as the others. Especially when we win it 😉
  • JaShea99 said:
    Didn’t this story do the rounds a few years back with tales of workers having their passports taken etc?
    Yes, they take their passports so they can't leave and withhold their salaries making them, effectively, slaves. It's disgusting.
     I read that too. If true quite why we are all still going there for this contrived tournament,  I have no idea. 
    Because money makes the world go round
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    Died of what??
    Boredom.
    They died due to poor levels and standards of health and safety in the construction of the stadia and infrastructure required to host the World Cup. Absolutely fucking disgusting that this tournament was given to Quatar and those responsible for doing so are 100% complicit with those deaths. Appalling working conditions and at least 6500 deaths. Probably much higher.
    How the hell can 6500 people die due to poor H&S standards???
    were they throwing themselves off like lemmings 🤷🏻‍♂️