Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Benni McCarthy

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
http://soccerladuma.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12376:charlton-show-interest-in-mccarthy&catid=6:local&Itemid=129

Comments

• This could be a really great signing for us (how many times have we said that?) if he showed the kind of form he previously has shown before his move to West Spam.
  • I honestly think there's more chance of me being the next signing

Unless he's going to play centre half or centre mid?!

Give it the old Dublin or Yorke position change late in the day?
  • Mentioned this rumour on here Friday but like others I can't see it happening, nor am I certain how good a signing he'd be anymore. That said I think he would be a better option than Abbott.
  • I'd prefer Abbott. Benni would only be coming for the money and although we might only pay a small percentage of his 60k pw he'd still be getting the rest from West Ham. Anyway I thought he was a lazy, unfit, useless sod nowadays.
  • Wham would probably pay his wages as they were prepared to pay him off recently. With a year left on his contract a Charlton play off / promotion challenge could put him in the shop window .

The reason I think that this could happen is our South African heritage which goes back to Firmani and Leary so we would be a club he is aware of .
  • No thanks.

Saw him on the bench for Wham a couple of weeks ago and he looked like a barrage balloon. Unless we are going to roll him into the goal and use him as a blockade?

Rather keep Abbott.
  • Clem that really made me laugh! Quality :0)
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I'd prefer Abbott. Benni would only be coming for the money and although we might only pay a small percentage of his 60k pw he'd still be getting the rest from West Ham. Anyway I thought he was a lazy, unfit, useless sod nowadays.[/quote]

So is Yakubu but he's still a class or two above Leicester.

Not that it is going to happen anyway.
  • Yakuza isn't fat and lazy though. Have you seen McCarthy recently. It'll take him two months to get fit.
  • I'd definitely say Yakubu was lazy, fat probably a bit harsh but he hardly puts himself about. I still think he's a Premiership player though.

McCarthy has more talent than anyone in this division and I doubt someone like Powell would play him if he felt that he wasn't trying hard enough and was way out of shape.
  • Sponsored links:

• I would imagine Alex Dyer may have some input on this
  • [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]I would imagine Alex Dyer may have some input on this

Think he's probably a better bet than McCarthy !!
  • If theres any truth in it then Alex Dyer will know everything needed to make a decision.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]If theres any truth in it then Alex Dyer will know everything needed to make a decision.

Yeah it's a fair point.
  • edited February 2011
    We are, after all -7th on the log with 29 points so the move may appeal to him!
  • Last seen in Stratford McDonalds working on his new figure.
  • edited February 2011
    We need to fix the midfield and defence first.
  • Can't imagine he's what we need. Even though he should be far too good for this league I could imagine it not really working for us.

Not that I can really see it happening anyway.
  • I though he looked leaner recently.
  • Sponsored links:

• Lazy, expensive and overweight?
  • I cannot see the point of this, we do not have a creative midfield to feed strikers and we do not have skillful wingers who can beat a defender or two, get to the bye line and put in crosses for our strikers to feed off.

Why do we want a fat, unfit, 33 year old forward who cannot get into a team struggling to score goals (west ham) to go along with our other strikers.

WE NEED creative midfield players and some decent central defenders
  • [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]I cannot see the point of this, we do not have a creative midfield to feed strikers and we do not have skillful wingers who can beat a defender or two, get to the bye line and put in crosses for our strikers to feed off.

Why do we want a fat, unfit, 33 year old forward who cannot get into a team struggling to score goals (west ham) to go along with our other strikers.

WE NEED creative midfield players and some decent central defenders

I think it telling that CP made it a priority to buy a striker as soon as he arrived when none of us thought it a priority. Perhaps CP doesn't fancy what options he has up front and feels that scoring forwards are essential to what he wants. I feel sure that Powell also knows what he wants elsewhere. Patience is the key for some time now I think.
  • I am all for scoring forwards SHG but I thought this thread was about Bennie McCarthy?
  • [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite] a fat, unfit, 33 year old forward who cannot get into a team struggling to score goals (west ham)

11 goals in the last 3 games, 17 in the last 6 sort of says they aint struggling anymore to score goals. Thats why the slob cant get into the team.
  • My mate runs a club in Kensington and i was out there a few weeks back. Getting all the v.i.p treatment that you get when your mate runs the place. Anyway so was mr McCarthy. He was acting the biggun, buying up loads of champagne, grabbing as many girls (attractive or not) and pulling them into his booth. Generally being loud and lauding it up. For a former international and premier league star its the kind of behaviour id expect. However, while sitting there i was thinking how he cant even get into a struggling wet spam team, is overweight and has a poor attitude. A few hours later he stumbled out of the club at closing time (4.30am) and crawled into the back seat of his blinged out 4x4. What has he got to celebrate about right now? Apart from stealing a high wage at his current club? Is that the attitude and behaviour a man should take when he is fighting to do what he is supposed to love doing? Playing football at the highest level?

Interestingly, Mark Morrison ( return of the mac) was at the same place, and was acting with a bit more class!
  • My boss is South African and a bit clued up on South African football matters in general and from what he tells me it sounds like a player we need to give a very very wide birth.
  • [cite]Posted By: Benny Hill[/cite]My boss is South African and a bit clued up on South African football matters in general and from what he tells me it sounds like a player we need to give a very very wide birth.
    Only way to get around him tbf
  • I would prefer Benni from Crossroads to Benni McCarthy.
  • We should have signed him when we had Shaun Bartlett if we were going to.

Far too late now in my opinion and his only worthwhile contribution would be to challenge Bobby Hunt, JFH, David Whyte etc for the fattest arse of all time in a Charlton kit.