Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rob Elliot (Signed for Newcastle for Undisclosed Fee)

Comments

• Options
    Where was 400K mentioned?
  • Options
    Not bothered at all by this never rated him that hightly and would prefer Hamer or Sullivan as our number one, good deal for the club :D now invest it straight into the team .  
  • Options
    REALLY! Surely he wouldn't have asked Charlton for a silly amount of money knowing that he would be getting it somewhere else if they said no?
    Struggle to understand this, surely if he knew he would get a higher wage somewhere else he would ask Charlton for a similar wage as he had nothing to lose.
  • Options
    Sarcasm is a wonderful thing
  • Options
    this story has some potential to it more than the andy woodman link - celtic have wanted forster on loan for a while now and only justgot their man, reasons why it took so long beyond me but with our signing of hamer who's yet to be fully fit could that of held up the deal that newcastle or us didnt want to be caught short goalkeeping wise now elliots gone as hamers fit to start and be no 1  wouldnt surprise me to see this come threw. shame but understandable.
  • Options
    Where was 400K mentioned?

Nowhere! Someone mentioned 500K further up the thread, even if we get less than that it would still be very useful cash.
  • Options
    it wont be the first time pardew will have bought the emperors new clothes

a pivotal part in the worse charlton team in our recent history, if only they'd given randy the number 1 when he had clearly earnt it with his end of season form

of this current team he is the weakest link ..... goodbye

• Options
    Sorry to see him go, but after the Den Scum match where he gave away two goals from identical free kicks through sheer bloody incompetence, I don't think Powell has much choice. Good with reflex saves but I am surprised our opponents so far this season haven't tried long shots or getting free kicks near the area, as positioning for these have always been Rob's weak points. That we may be getting money for him is a bonus. 
  • Options
    No surprise - 44 on his back translates to I'm off. Will be sorry to see him go as I do think he is a good keeper and some of the critisism he gets on here is frankly ridiculous As has been said -even the top keepers make mistakes and for me Robbie makes no more than them. I think his big challenge is to keep his weight down and he could really make a name for himself. I will wish him well and won't be too concerned about the team as we have 2 very able replacements.

What sort of fee do you think we will be looking for given that he has only a year on his contrcat -£500k?
  • Options
    Is Steve Harper fit? If so, looks like he could be third choice after Harper and Tim Krul. Harper has a year to go and Krul has 2 years on his contract to run. Can't see us getting much more than £300k if he does go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who has the number 1 jersey then, is it Hamer?? Or the other fella?
  • Options
    @MCS Hamer obv.

@Everyone else, come on not a surprise surely, there are three players we KNOW are gonna go before the end of August (Elliot, Francis, Benson) and possibly a fourth (Doherty). Whatever money we get is a bonus as it looks like we're gonna have to spend to get the CB and target man we desperately need.
  • Options
    it wont be the first time pardew will have bought the emperors new clothes

a pivotal part in the worse charlton team in our recent history, if only they'd given randy the number 1 when he had clearly earnt it with his end of season form

of this current team he is the weakest link ..... goodbye

This.      NB   However, I wish Robbie all the best & no doubt he'll be on the £8K pw that he wanted from us, so everyone wins (except Pardew & Newcastle fans).
  • Options
    If it's Pardew buying him, we might get £5 million for him!

Hate Pardew with a passion. Slimy smug prick.
  • Options
    Conceded 1 in three.  Now in the hands of three keepers that we've barely seen.

Doubtless gibberish that he was asking like that kind of money off us
  • Options
    Sorry to see him go, but after the Den Scum match where he gave away two goals from identical free kicks through sheer bloody incompetence, I don't think Powell has much choice. Good with reflex saves but I am surprised our opponents so far this season haven't tried long shots or getting free kicks near the area, as positioning for these have always been Rob's weak points. That we may be getting money for him is a bonus. 
    For the second one we had a player on the line, who the ball travelled over on its way to the net.
  • Options
    What's the betting it's an undisclosed fee?
  • Options
    wish him well but certainly not sorry to see him go, agree with oohaah he's the weak link in the current side.
  • Options
    Pardews only doing this because he thinks it will mess up our good start, but the reality is that in our 3 games all Elliott has had to do is pick the ball out the net once. Maybe Pardew feels he should be doing more, like pick the ball out the net more often.

If it was one of our defenders, midfielders or strikers id be worried but every other player on the pitch has played their part and protected the Elliott. I think CP is happy to let him go and if we get some money out of it then great.

Welcome Ben Hamer as the new number 1. Good luck Robbie but not a premiership keeper
  • Options
    @Choice i don't think Pardew's doing this to mess up our good start, he's a vain prick but he isn't childish.

I think this has been on the agenda for a while, i think the problem Newcastle have had is to get rid of one of their goalkeepers and now Forster has gone it's paved the way for Elliot to move there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wouldn't surprise me if this was all tied up a fortnight ago but delayed when Hamer got injured
  • Options
    one for the conspiracy theorists - bit of a smokescreen that sees Ashley preparing to unveil himself as the owner of the mystery 40% and an OTT undisclosed transfer fee into the mix. I don't believe this but never rule anything out.
  • Options
    Surprising Pardew is replacing Forster (who I thought was quite highly rated) with Elliot
  • Options
    Sorry to see him go but not overly bothered, think it's a position we're more than covered in.
  • Options
    Wouldn't surprise me if this was all tied up a fortnight ago but delayed when Hamer got injured
    Bet you're spot on there.
  • Options
    I like Robbie, he is not the best keeper we have ever had but we are not in the best position we have ever been in.  It is good when a fan plays for your team in my opinion and I will sorry to see him go, although Hamer may prove to be our next Deano
  • Options
    Surprising Pardew is replacing Forster (who I thought was quite highly rated) with Elliot
    Perhaps Forster has his own problems with getting a shedload of flack from his own on the 10% occasions he doesn't perform up to standards?
  • Options
    Well, I'll be sad to see him go. Speculation about contract negotiations and salaries demanded is just that - speculation. It seems to me that he had to go once Hamer was signed and that was done, according to Powell, because Robbie had one year left and had not committed to a further contract. Looking at the results we've had so far this year, he will be a tough act to follow.
    I didnt think hed had that much to do, and although I like Robbie and will be sad to see him (undoubtedly) go. I think Hamer and Sullivan could probably both doa better job right now.
  • Options
    I think it's more that he can get a decent fee for him and bring in a replacement for a fraction of that on a reasonable wage.   Ashley's book balancing skills aren't to be sniffed at.
  • Options
    This summer just gets better & better we out some serious deadwood including the likes of McCormack, sell Jenkinson & Elliot two homegrown players & they finance a completely new team, possibly the best one we have had in years. Sorry but I am really struggling to see a downside on ANY transfer business we have conducted this summer. Well done the Club been very cute in our transfer dealings this summer.