Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your first ever match - Memories

i was just thinking about my first ever match. i think know it was against Mansfield in i think 77-78 season away. i think we won 3-0, but will be corrected if necessary.

anyone else remember their first match?

Comments

• Options
    late 70's, home to cardiff lost 0-2.
    remember mark penfold playing as he is a friend of my family and was a confused youngster when i saw the highlights on sunday lunchtimes the big match!
    i must have thought that all football on telly was live!
  • Options
    1st April 1972

Charlton 0 Norwich 2

I confess, I'd previously been taken to Stamford Bridge (Chelsea v Huddersfield) and Upton Park (West Ham v Leeds) that season.
  • Options
    This is a strange one for me because i don't remember the specifics of my first match(s) but i went from the age of about 12 to the majority of home games-(and i wasn't dragged there by my father as he always has never had any interest in football). Guess it must have been the atmosphere and camaderie that attracted me

That would be around 1974.

The most overriding memory was the peanuts and the sheer size of the place.
  • Options
    Mine was, Charlton 4 Rotherham 3, old second division,November 1963, firmani and kenning got 2 each. My Second was Charlton 0 Scunthorpe 1 November 1963.
  • Options
    Really can't remember - 30 years ago...most likely we lost.

My early memories concerned the size of the East Terrace and going down to stand at the front with the other kids, I used to stand near the floodlight nearest the covered end.
  • Options
    sorry to everyone for shouting (CAPITALS) in the title of this thread. don't know what came over me. my only memory of the game is the crowd. nothing about the game at all. still they must have been quite annimated if we won 3-0. i know i would be now...even at mansfield town.
  • Options
    Charlton 1 - 2 West Ham (?)in the League Cup, mid week obviously 1980.

My dad got home from work and said had I done my homework the answer was no, well you better hurry up if we are going to go the football ! I had no inkling this was going to happen, what a way to start at the Valley reasonably big crowd stood in the dark at the top of the East Terrace watching a floodlit game.

And the peanuts were good...
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    1979/80-ish, on the old south terrace, can't remember the game, can only remember being on a massive terrace behind the goal with my grandparents. Would have been about five years old, it's one of my earliest memories. (And I can only date it because the Jimmy Seed went up in 80 or 81, didn't it?)

First game I can actually remember properly would have been the FA Cup match against Kettering in 1989 - apart from my grandparents, I wasn't exactly in a football family!
  • Options
    My first match was SUPPOSED TO BE the FA Cup game against Cardiff in January 1963. However because of the awful weather that winter the match was postponed so often I never got to see it! I have memories of a game against Plymouth that we won 6-3, Peacock scoring at least once and also a game against Leeds which we lost 2-1. Jackie Charlton scored for them and Brian Ord got injured for us and was taken onto the old cinder track near the East Terrace. "It's my f***ing knee" he said in my hearing. My mother had reprimanded me for swearing shortly before that game and was totally unimpressed when I announced on my return home that it was alright to swear because Brian Ord did!
  • Options
    1978 ish at home to either Blackburn or Bristol Rovers , can't remember which . All I remember is they had a funny kit .

Stood at the front of the covered end
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kigs, my first was at sellout too, possibly any game out of the 87/88 season mebe before mebe after, who no's! But it was defo when i was around 7 or 8 years old. Nearly 20 years a cafc fan, wowwowwewah!
  • Options
    I honestly cant remember but it was around 83/84.

I just remember being bored and cold standing on the East Terrace while my old man and uncle shouted a lot.

First game I remember being at was against Barnsley when we were 3-0 down and won 5-3 think that was 84.

First season ticket was the season we left The Valley.
  • Options
    Have no idea what season it was but it was at the Priestfield stadium Gillingham & Charlton won it 1-0 & a certain Mr Peacock scored the only goal for the addicks..!
  • Options
    Selhurst Park Sept 1987 CAFC v Leicester City Think we won 1-0 or 2-1 Just started playing football for the Bexley District team and the manager used to take some of the kids in the afternoon to the games. Got free tickets to all CAFC games at Selhurst for years. I still remember looking around and seeing lots of empty seats and thinking that the pies smelt rather nice, this to the people who know me has lead to the increase in my waiste size over the years.....Following CAFC has a lot to answer for!!
  • Options
    Early seventies is the one I remember - we got rogered by Brighton (4-0?) when Clough was in charge.
  • Options
    [cite] AFKA Bartram:[/cite]My first was at home to Newcastle, around 83 / 84 ish.

Think we lost 3-1, and they had keegan, beardsley an mcdermott were up front for the magpies.

sat in the main stand with my dad.

That was Keegan's last game in London.
  • Options
    1969, I think V Cardiff.

Would have stood behind South Goal against the railings.
  • Options
    at "home" to oxford, '87/'88 season, stood behind the goal, game finished 0-0 and i was hooked!! ; )

remember being bought a CAFC scarf from what was then the club shop, remember you couldn't swing a cat in that place though!!
  • Options
    First game was the promotion game from Div 3 against Preston North End in 1975. I know we won but for the life of me now can't remember if it was 2-1 or 3-1. I think we went one-nil down as well. I can remember a full east Terrace (there were not many more of those - Spurs and Chelsea at home in the late 70's when we won 4-1 and 4-0 spring to mind) and everyone running onto the pitch at the end.

The Spurs and Chelsea games were great. I remember Spurs took the Covered End but there was a minor re-invasion by about 3 people. Somebody said it was Millwall! And then when we went 4-1 up (a Flash hattrick) Spurs started marching across the East Terrace clumping anyone who appeared to be Charlton.

The Chelsea game was when they tried to burn down the Covered End and smashed up the Vally Club on the way out. I can't remember who scored our goals that game. I think it was a night game but am not sure.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    v wimbledon at sellhurst as well!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All i remember was it was a night game in 78,was amazed at how green the pitch was under the lights, stood under the clock in the north west corner and visited the club shop(hut) behind the old main stand. seem to remember swapping ends at half time.
  • Options
    I too dont remember the match but it was sometime in the 68-69 season - the season when we finished up 3rd place in the 2nd division. After that it was all down hill and into the 3rd division, but I was already addickted by then and there's no turning back. It must of been the sheer size on the east stand, the mass of fans and the floodlights that grabbed me, and possibly that it was in colour - not like on the telly!

Onwards and upwards!
  • Options
    League cup tie against Arsenal at Highbury in November 86. Can't really remember much about the game, was a guest of Vic Acres (currently the kit man at Arsenal, but then manager of the JVC indoor training centre and coach of the under 16s). Sat on the little wooden benches that used to be either side of the tunnel.
  • Options
    Christ, you guys all started much earlier than me. My first game was at Selhurst against Norwich, we lost 2-1 i think it was the first season in the top flight there.
  • Options
    My first was at home to Newcastle, around 83 / 84 ish.

Think we lost 3-1, and they had keegan, beardsley an mcdermott were up front for the magpies.

• Options
    edited November 2006
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]My first was at home to Newcastle, around 83 / 84 ish.

That was Keegan's last game in London.
  • Options
    1985, cup replay against Spurs at the Valley, no memories of the game at all
  • Options
    February 1979, won 1-0 at home v Leicester. Keefy Peacock scored the only goal (from the spot).

Don't remember too much about it, other than the Bee Gees "Tragedy" playing either before the game or at h/t. Have always thought somehow that was quite apt!
  • Options
    1974.....v's Blackburn....2-1, Hales and Horsfield were the scorers.
  • Options
    Mine was Charlton 4 Spurs 1 about 76/77 season convinced me of being a Charlton fan for life,think the crowd was about 32000 but i bet there was more than that in ground.