Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your first ever match - Memories

Comments

• Options
    1961 against Preston NE I think. Remember my uncle taking me and buying me a Charlton Rosette. He then bought me a rosette of each visiting team that Charlton played. I had a display of them all on my bedroom wall for years. Can`t say I really enjoyed the football aged 5 and for a while I think I just wanted the torture just to be over. Actually been thinking the same for the subsequent 47 years.
  • Options
    August 1980 Charlton 1 Brentford 0. Grew up in Blackheath and figured that they needed by help, I suppose, having been relegated to the third division the season before. Not the reason for the username, many years later I moved to a house adjacent to Griffin Park.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    very vague but I think it was a cup game circa 1980-82 Watford evening game in the summer, it was warm. I remember changing ends at half time as you could in them days. Can any stattos out there tell me when this game was?
  • Options
    according to Soccerbase, the only time we played them around then was 1983/84 season in facup.
  • Options
    ah that might be it then
  • Options
    Lost 2-0

I dont think you could have changed ends that day as Watford must have had a good 8,000 their that day if my memory serves me right?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]according to Soccerbase, the only time we played them around then was 1983/84 season in facup.

And that was a Saturday game, not evening kick off, it was one of the main matches on Match Of The Day that night, John Barnes & Mo Johnston scored I think (or it might have been Mark Falco)
  • Options
    darn must have been another game then
  • Options
    English Division 2 (old) Charlton 1-1 Watford 01-05-1982

perhaps it was this one, do seem to remember it being an evening game tho (more than a cup game)
  • Options
    1983 Vs Chelsea at home I believe - I would have been 7

We won 5-2 and I recall Hales and Simonsen scored 2 each but I may be wrong

Happy days (though I had no idea what was going on!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sat in the main stand that day surrounded by CFC

Oh how I laughed when they left at HT........LOL
  • Options
    bump, following the 'anniversary thread......
  • Options
    The first game I remember going to was Bristol Rovers at home (Upton Park) I believe...Think we won 4-1! Can anyone tell me the year?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]The first game I remember going to was Bristol Rovers at home (Upton Park) I believe...Think we won 4-1! Can anyone tell me the year?
    According to Colin Cameron...
    Tuesday 25th August 1992 Charlton 4 (Lee, Dyer, Pardew 2!) Bristol Rover 1 (Reece) attendance 4721
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]The first game I remember going to was Bristol Rovers at home (Upton Park) I believe...Think we won 4-1! Can anyone tell me the year?[/quote]According to Colin Cameron...
    Tuesday 25th August 1992 Charlton 4 (Lee, Dyer, Pardew 2!) Bristol Rover 1 (Reece) attendance 4721[/quote]

"Anorak"

;-)
  • Options
    Home to Newcastle at Selhurst Park, second to last "home" match before moving to Upton Park. Won 1-0, they had someone sent off.
  • Options
    Carlise at the Valley, 40 years ago next month (splutters). 1-1 draw, we scored in the first minute while I was queuing outside. It was the era of Charlie Wright, Tees, Tracey and Peacock with Eddie Firmani at the helm.
  • Options
    FA cup against Arsenal 1956....I was ten......one of Sam Batrams last games.....60,000 attendance.....pushed/lifted to the front of the East Terrace.........taken by my Arsenal supporting brother. I did not go again until Everton 4th Round 1959......Duff knocking out Hickson with a right hook...stripping off his jersey and marching off before the referee had time to send him off. The replay by the way at Goodison was watched by 74,000 in the fog. This still is the largest crowd record at a floodlight game I believe. I've been going ever since.
  • Options
    Great thread.

Cant remember the year or the game, probably late 70s. Remember walking down from the east through the South terrace into the dustbowl of the carpark and sitting in the West stand. Remember looking out toward the East terrace, and the scaffolding for ITV cameras. Dad telling me the ground used to hold 70,000. Massive ground. Nicky Johns, Killer, Flanagan, Elliott, Walsh.
  • Options
    My first game December 2001 Blackburn at the Valley
    lost 2-0 Duff and Dunn got the goals
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    long time ago,but great
  • Options
    I remember going to a game when the covered end was going all seated. Cant remember the year though. Nicky Johns in goal defo.
  • Options
    If there's one single thing that knarks me about my history in supporting The Addicks it's that I don't know who it was that I first saw us play...or anything about the game come to that...all I know is that it was late 1957...I was 9.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]If there's one single thing that knarks me about my history in supporting The Addicks it's that I don't know who it was that I first saw us play...or anything about the game come to that...all I know is that it was late 1957...I was 9.[/quote]

No change there then Soundas..........(except the 9 bit).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]If there's one single thing that knarks me about my history in supporting The Addicks it's that I don't know who it was that I first saw us play...or anything about the game come to that...all I know is that it was late 1957...I was 9.

No change there then Soundas..........(except the 9 bit).

Oi...ya cheeky git!!!!
  • Options
    Cheers for putting this up AFKA
  • Options
    2/5/2005 (i was 9)

charlton 2-2 man city
    losing on 90 mins loads of people leaving
    chris perry scores equaliser 2 mins into added time
    absolutly amazing remaining fans went mental
  • Options
    The day after my 9th birthday, dad said we were going over to visit some realatives. Got to there house edd and dad went of talking in the kitchen. Edd came back in with a massive cafc tankard filled with ribena for me. Said he was taking me and dad for a drive. After 40 mins of ducking down side roads and shortcuts we made it from rochester way to somewhere i'd never been I could see a weird bright white light in the sky and lots of men walking around and a really strong smell of hotdogs. Edd then told me we were going to my first charlton match and its against liverpool! We sat in the arther waite stand and edd gave me some team photographs and 2 of my fav players bob bolder and rob lee. Liverpool were wearing green and we had admiral red shirts with the woolwich on the front. We got absoulty tonked 4 0. Any normal kid this would have triggerd a love for liverpool but not for me. About 10 mins from the end we walked to the stand behind the goal with the scoreboard with the cannon that would shoot out the goal scorers names. It was terracing and we were down the front. Grobbellar went to take a goal kick and I screamed in my pre puberity high pitch voice 'oi!!!!' He looked round and gave me a wink. Will never forget the smell of the hotdogs the smell of the pitch and realising that I had just started an obbesion and passion our team our charlton,
  • Options
    April 1971, home to Leyton Orient. We won 2-0, both scored by Peacock. I went with my dad (Charlton) and my uncle (Os), but was too young to appreciate it; I spent most of the 2nd half asking when we could go. The only part of the game that stuck in my mind was us getting a free kick and Peacock just knocking it across the field and into touch.