Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your first ever match - Memories

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Shag said:
    1978 ish at home to either Blackburn or Bristol Rovers , can't remember which . All I remember is they had a funny kit .

Stood at the front of the covered end
    1980 I think it was. We beat Bristol Rovers 4-0. The only things are remember from those first few games were some of the oddities (although not for time no doubt). Like playing China one evening and beating them 5-0. Someone sitting high up on one of the floodlights casually watching the game. He must have had a head for heights. And Millwall turning up outside as I think we later learned had had their game cancelled and the majority of the Charlton crowd rushing out of the ground to greet them...
    I was at that Bristol Rovers game, was the year we got relegated. I can remember the ball getting stuck in the stanchion when we scored on of the goals. I think the China game was a 3 or 4 years later and we beat them 1-0.

My memory playing tricks on me there then! It was just one of the standout moments from my recollection of the old valley. I must be confused with another game about the scoreline then.
    The other thing I recall about the old valley was how steep the east terrace was.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    1969 Arsenal 0 Everton 1. Sat with my dad, who was an Arsenal fan, in the West Stand. My first Charlton match was against Millwall at the Den in 1976 with my Grandad. My next was the same fixture the following season. Both ended 1-1. My Grandad had just retired and decided he would take me football and I think Millwall was his choice but I told him I preferred the Red team and we went together for a couple of years whilst he still could. I recall My next game was a 3-1 against Blackpool and I was hooked.
  • Options
    There was definitely more than 32,000 in the ground that night. I stood on the East Terrace for that and remember Spurs fans running through it brandishing knives. I was so f**kin scared. That was a huge win though and I remember waking up and seeing the report on the back pages of the newspapers - something that never happened in those days (who am I kidding, these too!)
    The Spurs 4-1 game was on a sunny Saturday afternoon.

The Chelsea 4-0 was an evening game.
    It was definitely dark by the time it kicked off on the terrace & the walk back to the station.
    Was October (so I was informed further up the thread).
    I don't wish to be argumentative, but it was a lovely sunny day on the 15th October 1977.
    My dad supported Charlton & Spurs and his Spurs supporting uncle & cousin came to the game and stood with us. I remember the game intently.

I'm certain it wasn't anywhere near getting dark at any point.
    I just looked back to our mid October fixtures this season.

This season we were away to Lincoln on Saturday 16th October and there was no loss of light walking from the ground.
    Saturday 23rd October we were at Sunderland A and I had a 20 minute walk back to the station after the game and it was 100% daylight. 

It's neither here nor there, but I'm 99.9% certain you've misremembered.
    Apologies.

NB Charlton 4 Chelsea 0 Monday 11th April 1977 was an evening game, so it was daylight when the game started and got dark in the second half. I think you are mixing up the two games.

This blog show the Charlton v Spurs crowd.
    https://drinkingduringthegame.blogspot.com/
    I was 7 so I can’t argue tbf 🤷‍♀️
    But it was definitely Spurs, definitely trouble in the crowd.
  • Options
    5th May 1980 an evening away game at Upton Park. Went with a West Ham supporting friend from school. They were in the cup final the following weekend. Charlton were 4-0 down at half time! Derek Hales pulled one back in 2nd half. Think my mate expected me to switch allegiances and follow the Hammers after that. But not me. 42 years later I am still going! 
  • Options
    1978. An away game at Orient, which I was taken to by the Cubs. On reflection a curious place to take Cub Scouts from Dartford.

Abandoned at nil nil at HT due to a waterlogged pitch...

Annoyingly I no longer have the programme, or indeed the date, for my first game at The Valley, so that's an unknown.
  • Options
    1995, Charlton 1-0 Notts County. Morts scored, I think it was a pretty rubbish game from memory, they were bottom and we were mid table, best part was the day before when my uncle took my on a behind the scenes tour, inside the old porta kabin changing room and standing pitch side, only other time I been that close to the pitch was after the post Burnley pitch invasion. 
  • Options
    Charlton 7 Huddersfield 6. Stood in covered end with my father and brother.I seem to remember most of the goals went in at the other end
  • Options
    August 87 CAFC 1 Forest 2 All I can remember is a Reid penalty, two late goals conceded and there being less people there than I would have expected. Did nothing to dampen what became an ever growing enthusiasm for a club I have now supported and loved for 35 years. 
    Wasn't  there a swarm if flying ants that day ?
    Sorry @Addick1956 just seen this. Can’t remember that tbh, though remember it being a warm day, so more than possible 👍
  • Options

I was 8, it was the early in the 74/75 promotion season and while I can’t be specific, I think the match was against Chesterfield at The Valley. My Dad took me, he’d been going since 1946 and we still go together sitting in the AC stand almost exactly where we used to stand on the old east terrace. Only two memories of that day; trawling over the vast expanse of concrete terracing gathering a huge collection of spent matches (no idea why) and being told that the player who had charged by us on the wing was called Keith Peacock. I wonder what ever happened to him! Anyway, while the match that day largely passed me by I was clearly hooked and always will be.