Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your first ever match - Memories

Comments

• Options
    Terry Naylor was quality.

I think his career finished after a broken leg against West Ham in a friendly.
  • Options
    Oggy - yes I'm pretty sure it was McAllister and that game. Still makes me shudder. Don't remember his debut very clearly, but then I did start going to Charlton when I was about -5 years old!!

I do remember Paul Walsh's debut also as a 16 year old at home to Shrewsbury at the end of Sept 1979 (?) - it was the first game we won that season (we got relegated). His shirt sleeves were way too long for him.

Anyway going off topic - sorry.
  • Options
    Vs Palace. When we announced we were moving to Smellhurst, I went with my dad and brother. I was 7. We went to go in the East terrace but by that stage was shut, he didn't want to take us behind the goal "it's where the headcases go" so we ended up sitting in the West stand where he grumbled about having to pay £5 each for my and my brothers seats!

Can't remember much of the game, just what seemed like a really long walk to the ground and the fact that my dad punched the ball away when it was flying towards my head when it was cleared off the pitch! Sat in the West Stand. My dad spent most of the game taking my then 5 year old brother to the toilet every 10 minutes. I guess thats why my brother supports Spurs rather than Charlton.
  • Options
    1947 cup final win
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    01/11/1986 at Selhurst - lost 2-0 to Arsenal.

Still remember what a crap ground it was back then!
  • Options
    Strangely it was an away game; Brighton towards the end of the 74-75 promotion season. Now controversial journalist Eammon Dunphy scored ours on a pitch more suited to water polo, with the ball repeatedly stopping in huge puddles. Not yet being acquainted with the offside rule, I thought we'd won 2-1 and was quite upset to learn otherwise from my more experienced mate en route home! He and his generous dad have long since disappeared but will for ever hold a very important place in my memory for introducing me to a famous old club I'd barely heard of.

I think Weegie's right; it was Don McAllister who injured Penfold, but he did partly redeem himself later with........
    a last minute winner v Palace!

Didn't McAuley also score the other goal with Flanagan's hatrick when we thumped Chelsea 4-0 the season before?
  • Options
    Birmingam at home in 1984/85. We won 2-1 and I think a very young Robert Lee on the winner.
  • Options
    home vs Palarse 1984/5 season 1-1 they took the lead - curbs equalised.
  • Options
    Home to Middlesbrough in Nov 1982 - Allan Simonsen's debut. We lost 3-2
  • Options
    Ha boro pushed there luck that day!FACT
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlton 2-0 Millwall. Think Bowyer and Leaburn scored that day!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]Charlton 2-0 Millwall. Think Bowyer and Leaburn scored that day!

Wasnt that the Day of 'big nose, he's got afuckin big nose, he's got afuckin big nose, he's got afuckin big nose, big nose'
    aimed at Keith 'Rhino' Stevens, what a grat day that was!
  • Options
    Can't remember 1st home game - away was Arsenal 1968 when we lost 2 nil and I had my scarf nicked! (I was 8 years old!)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charlton4ever[/cite]Can't remember 1st home game - away was Arsenal 1968 when we lost 2 nil and I had my scarf nicked! (I was 8 years old!)

Good match to see Charlton away for the first time, c4e.

That makes you one of the old timers on the board - so welcome to the 'I saw Harry Gregory & Charlie Wright' fanclub.

We've discussed this match a couple of times on previous threads - HOME & AWAY postings probably.
    Some fascinating and colourful recollections of it.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I lived about 10 minutes from the Valley and used to stand on the HUGE East terrace as a nipper. Took me ages to climb up and down!

Remember the wall anyone at the top with a ledge running behind it? The Open toilets behind the away end? The mobile type shop between the East terrace and the covered end? The removal type trucks when LWT were filming?

Memories!
  • Options
    Remember the huge scaffolding high above the halfway line on the big East Terrace when LWT were filming, making a temporary commentry box. And Brian Moore huddled against the wind, in his fur jacket and big earphones.

Even though it was only ever once or twice a year, we used to groan when we saw the scaffolding because we couldn't stand in our usual place on the terrace.

In those days, you could walk all around the ground and despite the vastness of the terrace, all the regulars habitually stood in the same spot for every match.

It was still a thrill to actually to see Charlton as the feature match highlights on the telly on a Sunday afternoon.
    It only happened once a season!
  • Options
    Manchester City at The Valley in Autumn 1983. Remember nothing of the match at all.
  • Options
    1967 vs Blackpool at the Valley, we lost 2-1.

This season will be my 40th anniversary and we're playing Blackpool again!!!!
  • Options
    burnley away night match cant rember score in 70s please help me with score
  • Options
    1964 for me, remember being carried to the ground on my uncles shoulders from the Milne Estate....vaguely remember sitting on the stanchions during the game on the east terrace and my Uncles taking a milk crate to the ground for me to stand on, in subsequent matches :-) Sadly I have no ide really who we played....one of my uncles thinks it was Millwall, but I cant be sure. 1st away game was Palace in the FA cup replay 1968....however,we covered that in another thread.....happy days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bump for those who weren't on here last year
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hillsy. What team did you play for? I played for Junior Robins(Junior Red/Charlton youth affiliated team) in that league.

My first game was the Full Members Cup Final at ye olde Wembley(mark 2), against Blackburn. I was 8 years old at the time(my folks thought I was a wee bit too young & small, or had too much A.D.D. to attend games before then), & I was promised that if I was good, that I could go & see Charlton regularly, the following season(87/88).

Oddly, I have a ridiculously long term memory(short term wrecked), & can remember lots about the day. The walk up Wembley/Empire Way waving our commemorative flags. Waiting outside the ground from about mid-day with my Dad & older Brother eating our packed lunches. Getting in & onto the terraces(the security fences were, or seemed massive) & chatting with some other young CAFC fans, & them finding that the rosettes they had bought were old stock from the Milk Cup final the previous season. You could see the Oxford United badge through the Charlton badge, it was hilarious. They had replaced the ribbon with Red & White though.

I remember the players coming out in their suits beforehand. That Blackburn had way more supporters there than we did. The anticipation when the players did that famous long walk onto the pitchI remember Charlton huffing & puffing but not really getting anywhere, except Ralph Milne going close. A good Bob Bolder save. The worst thing I remember very clearly(sadly), 5 minutes from time, a big blonde mullet popping out of nowhere, & the b'stard(Colin Hendry) volleying home after Bob Bolder came out too far, flapped at the ball & missed.

It was gutting watching the Blackburn players going up & getting the trophy. My big brother crying, & what seemed like an endless journey home compounded the day. I still really enjoyed it though! It certainly whet my Charlton appetite, & the following season I started attending regularly, paying the princely sum of £1.50 to watch from the Sainsburys Terrace at Selhurschwitz.

Blimey, sorry for the ramble, even in defeat, the great memories of that day get the better of me!

PS: Thanks to AFKA Bartram from giving this thread a bump, its been interesting reading other fans tales of their Charlton 'Baptisms'. I probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise
  • Options
    November 5, 1955 - v Man City.....won 5-2...

By one of those ironies of life, 50 years later we played Man City, same/similar date 2005- and lost 2-5!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Solaraddick[/cite]November 5, 1955 - v Man City.....won 5-2...

By one of those ironies of life, 50 years later we played Man City, same/similar date 2005- and lost 2-5!!!

Isn't that the game who's highlights appear on the Centenary DVD?
  • Options
    1st game of season 1985-1986 Barnsley Home won 2-0, i was a ball boy for the game and had to run on the pitch and wave to the crowd and then was positioned in front of the jimmy seed stand. fluffed my lines when i tried to catch a misplaced charlton shot that was going at some speed, but ended up knocking it down the touchline and then had to run after it, and with my short legs and stinging fingers i was a bit slow. Thoroughly enjoyed it though and did another 5 games including 'last game at the valley'
  • Options
    for the newbies
  • Options
    no first im sure but remember playing norwich in the snow and standing top of east stand watching snow blow in..........must been like late 60.s
  • Options
    At home to Oldham - 1975 or 1976
    Can remember Charlton won by 3 or 4 goals i think,stood on The East terrace with my Dad.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    76 Stoke done us 4-1, we scored a pen and went one nil up, then we got run ragged (some familiar anyone?)

I was 3 foot nothing, six years old, and loved it

thanks Gran Dad, you afflicted me with this rubbish for the rest of my damn life...................

and me and my 70 year old Dad still go, 3 generations, 1 team
  • Options
    1957 aged 9, no idea of who the oppo was.