Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your first ever match - Memories

Comments

• Options
    Not sure if it was my first visit to the valley but it was around that sort of time i went to a firework display at the Valley - would have been late 70's probably. Anybody remember that?
  • Options
    Vs. Stoke in September 85, last game at The Valley. I remember a bunch of stuff; The walk to the ground, seeing Derek Hales outside, the pitch invasion and "We won't go to Selhurst Park" chanting, Rob Lee's goal, breaking down on the way home in the Vauxhall Viva and asking some strangers for water, while using old tights for a fan belt.

At the age of six, you assume that all happened every week. I guess with the Viva it pretty much did.
  • Options
    Charlton 3 Oxford United 3 in the 1990/91 season. I think it was in October and seem to recall Rob Lee and Gordon Watson scoring.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    1971-2 season Charlton at home to Cardiff 2-2.
    My first memories was the noisy cardiff support and their large welsh flag.
    Loved the home crowds rendition of "all you welshmen...." made me laugh.
    Someone from Cardiff got a bad injury and then we had "bring on the dustbin"
    Also had the "you look in the dustbin" chant.
    Wooden rattles and standing on the vast east bank.
    We got relegated that season but that didnt stop me being Addickted.
  • Options
    Not sure if it was my first visit to the valley but it was around that sort of time i went to a firework display at the Valley - would have been late 70's probably. Anybody remember that?

Bexley dan, I do remember a game in Nov 76 Friday evening v Plymouth (or GAWS - if the Exeter fan is reading this!). Won 3-1, south terrace closed off for fireworks display.
  • Options
    Cheers Bermuda - seems about right.
  • Options
    Bizarrely an away game at of all places Shithurst Park in 1982, my Addick uncle took me along and I was hooked ever since. The game was a 1-1 draw (I think).
  • Options
    Yes Pilch, was 1-1, Monday Dec 27, 1982. Our Steve White equalized 78th. Both Gritt and Simonsen in our team. Att. 18,040
  • Options
    Very hard to remember, thought it was against Derby, thought that we won 2-1 couldn't remember the year. After checking on the net, it looks as if it was 3/10/81, cant find out who scored for us, i think Killer maybe he got both, really cant remember can anyone help?
  • Options
    If you think it was this game, then yes, Hales scored both of them (41 & 63).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    april 1994, an epic 4-3 win at home to southend. im told it was alan pardew who ran from his own half to score the winner, my dad told me that as i cant remember it at all!
  • Options
    Thanks for that, i was dreading someone replying Hales didnt play in that game. Wish i could remember it clearer. I know i went with mates on the 51 from Orpington to Woolwich i was 13, would that happen now?
  • Options
    30 April 55 CAFC 0-4 PNE
    30 April 05 (then moved for Sky to 1 May) Wonderful golden jubilee day - the top hospitality package. Met Eddie Firmani, Theo Foley, Sir Clive and Johnny H. CAFC 0-4 Man Utd
  • Options
    3-2 v York city 1975ish I was 7
    I also remember going to the 4-1 against Spurs when Mark Penfold broke his leg.It was a birthday treat when I was either 10 or 11. Still going strong, only missed about 8 home games since 1991
  • Options
    STIG "Nice story, I take it that was the Ronny Rosenthal game. Hope so, wouldn't like to think they done us 4-0 twice."

We definitely got thumped for four that night (possibly John Barnes with the other goal?), but I'm pretty sure that we got hit for 4 the season before when Ian Rush returned and played with Aldridge. Might have been 0-3 though. They were in a grey kit, and it was my first time on a terrace. I went to get my old man some tea, and someone shoved me and the boiling contents went all over my little hands. I was most upset.
  • Options
    Upton Park, and Charlton lost to Milwall. Left me with no illusions.....but I'm still here! Even though my first experience was a poor performance there was something there that kept me interested.
  • Options
    can't remember my first game, my first memories of the Valley are me and my brother running around the vast east terrace. My earliest memories of Charlton players were Martin Robinson ( always used to shoot from outside the box and usually ended up in row Z ), Dick Tydeman ( looked like William Hartnell from doctor Who! ), Derek Hales and Paul Walsh. Great days ( apart from getting evicted from the valley of course! ). Always remember going into the smokey old Bar/lounge behind the old North Stand before a game.
  • Options
    1948 Crabble. 4months old. Mum went out with a friend and Dad didn't want to miss the football match. Left me outside the ground in the pram whilst he watched the game. Memories because the incident was to be recalled on endless occasions as dad's 'defence' was that he checked on me at half time.
  • Options
    1974/75 (February).....Barnsley v Bradford City in the old Fourth Division. 7,500 people in attendance and Barnsley were trailing 2-0 when Mick Butler came on from the bench and scored twice to earn a 2-2 draw. After the match the Bradford fans broke a few windows in the bus station and generally caused a lot of problems for the police whilst I was sat in a cafe with my cousin. I was aged 10 at the time
  • Options
    1995/96 season i think it was, it was Oxford United at home, i got Phil Chapple's signature, sat in the east stand at the time and a few of the players used to stop there pre match warmup to come over and sign our programmes, ah those were the days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Same as Addickted from Page 1:

1st April 1972

Charlton 0 Norwich 2

Six years old, watched from the top of the East terrace with my Dad.
    Loved every minute and started going regularly.
  • Options
    Spurs we trashed them 4-1 stood on the East terrace in the 70's.
  • Options
    After pestering my Dad to take me to a match I was taken to Craven Cottage to watch Fulham v PNE on 06/10/73 ,a "thrilling" nil all,which was my 6th birthday and my excuse being we only went because of my birthday.I believe Charlton were away that day? (I should check!).My first visit to the Valley was soon after for a mid week match.I spent most of this running up and down the East Terrace then getting told off by some blokes who were actually trying to watch the game.This resulted in a clip round the earhole from the old man this was followed by a beating for tearing a page out of the program and screwing it up and throwing at the linesman for disallowing a goal.It was a good couple of seasons before he took me again.
  • Options
    QPR at Loftus Road 1981/82. Stood in The Loft and watched QPR annihilate Charlton 4-0 on the plastic pitch. Johns (who I understand had been excellent in the run up to this game) had a mare and Clive Allen took advantage. Watched a number of teams at QPR that year but Charlton and Orient stood way out as being the worst!

First game at The Valley was the following season when Simonsen made his debut v Boro. It was utterly shambolic but nearly had an amazing finish. I loved the quirky ground and there was something about the whole macabre package that made me come back to watch the game v QPR. Despite another heavy defeat, I loved it and have watched Charlton home and away ever since.
  • Options
    16/8/11 v Reading in Carling Cup. Riotous night!
  • Options
    Southampton '76 (?). We won 4-1. Remember Osgood scoring a meaningless consolation goal for them and not celebrating, and a Soton fan outside singing about sticking a charlton programme up his ass. I've been pondering what point he was trying to make ever since.
    Wow - what a brilliant first time at The Valley, was a Friday night I believe, big crowd for that era. Think we were top of the league overnight
  • Options
    vs Peterborough in 1994. We won 5-1, Gary Nelson hatrick, Alan Pardew and Carl Leaburn. Walking away thinking Mike Salmon was better than David Seaman and asking my dad why aren't Charlton aren't in the Prem...to be young again.

Next game i saw was about 2 weeks later v M'boro, got beat 5-2 with John Hendrie looking immense. Remember John Vaughn in goal and blaming all the goals on him and hating him with a passion. First 2 games producing 13 goals, not bad i think you'll agree.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Charlton 4 Palace 1 Leaburn scored that day I think (1991 ish), was a ball boy and remember having to climb through the scaffolding of the east stand to get the ball back!
  • Options
    4-1 victory at "home" to Bristol Rovers @ Upton Park. Night game in '92 I believe. I remember Rob Lee scoring and Pardew as well, maybe 2?