Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your first ever match - Memories

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]The day after my 9th birthday, dad said we were going over to visit some realatives. Got to there house edd and dad went of talking in the kitchen. Edd came back in with a massive cafc tankard filled with ribena for me. Said he was taking me and dad for a drive. After 40 mins of ducking down side roads and shortcuts we made it from rochester way to somewhere i'd never been I could see a weird bright white light in the sky and lots of men walking around and a really strong smell of hotdogs. Edd then told me we were going to my first charlton match and its against liverpool! We sat in the arther waite stand and edd gave me some team photographs and 2 of my fav players bob bolder and rob lee. Liverpool were wearing green and we had admiral red shirts with the woolwich on the front. We got absoulty tonked 4 0. Any normal kid this would have triggerd a love for liverpool but not for me. About 10 mins from the end we walked to the stand behind the goal with the scoreboard with the cannon that would shoot out the goal scorers names. It was terracing and we were down the front. Grobbellar went to take a goal kick and I screamed in my pre puberity high pitch voice 'oi!!!!' He looked round and gave me a wink. Will never forget the smell of the hotdogs the smell of the pitch and realising that I had just started an obbesion and passion our team our charlton,

Nice story, I take it that was the Ronny Rosenthal game. Hope so, wouldn't like to think they done us 4-0 twice.
  • Options
    I was at that one..

Minto hit the post ealry on...

the arthur waite...

love it..
  • Options
    Southampton '76 (?). We won 4-1. Remember Osgood scoring a meaningless consolation goal for them and not celebrating, and a Soton fan outside singing about sticking a charlton programme up his ass. I've been pondering what point he was trying to make ever since.
  • Options
    The first game I can remember in full was first game of the season at Upton park against Newcastle.
    Had been to games previous to that but this is the one I can remember fully.
    I was 5 years old and I got Colin Walsh's autograph. Still got the programme today
  • Options
    Started going to the Valley the year we came third in the old div 1 think Cardiff and Derbygot promoted. The game I can really remember was a little later and thr first game I went to without an adult,Charlton v Blackburn and I remember being fed up because the game was covered by Brian Moore and the big Match. Charlton won 2-0
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Can't remember my exact first game, but it was the early sixties. One of the very first that sticks in my mind was losing 0-3 to Chelsea in an evening home cup game. I also remember a 0-0 draw with Sunderland when Montgomery (Sunderland keeper) was brilliant, and also the excitement of Firmani's return around that time.
  • Options
    Charlton 1-1 Blackpool Sept 75. No prizes for guessing who scored. And it was on MOTD, a rarity in those days.
  • Options
    Charlton 1-0 Wolves- 7th April 1998. Only a month before the most famous game in CAFC's history.

Do not remember a lot about the game, was on a Tuesday night sat in the east stand and loved it. From that moment I was a Charlton fan forever. Super Clive scored and I am pretty sure also had one disallowed. Got the tickets free from school and as soon as the match was over, wanted to go to the next one. My 9th birthday was the week after and possibly got my first shirt the week after aswell.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Bristol Rovers, Easter 1962.
    Stuart Leary scored but I don't remember much about it.

Guess who we are playing on Easter Saturday this season - Bristol Rovers!!
    Shame it'll be my 49th rather than my 50th anniversary
  • Options
    2-2 with Sunderland 95/96. The Cheese burgers in the East Stand were nice! :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Colchester away in the league cup in 1978. God knows why. Was 4 years old. All I can remember is a very late goal and a section of wooden terrace collapsing.
  • Options
    Charlton vs Notts Forest in 1994 and we lost 1-0 but i've never wanted to support any other team!
  • Options
    11 March 1989 Charlton 2 Southampton 2 at Selhurst.

2 0 up (goals from Williams and Crooks I think) and drew 2 2 - typical Charlton!

I was only 6 and watched a 6a side tournament on tv that Charlton won in Manchester. Mortimer and co were class if I'm remembering correctly so I persuaded my Dad to take me to watch them which he did and the rest is history.

So much for my "glory hunting".
  • Options
    All i can remember , I think Len Glover was playing.. :-)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Not 100% sure on first game as it was about 1979 and i was 8, but have a feeling it was a 2nd Division Tues night London derby against either QPR or Chelsea and stood on east terrace next to away fans who were accomodated also on the east terrace in a cage/fence type enclosure, think there was a healthy crowd of about 15,000. First away game i think was FA Cup tie against Ipswich, think we lost 2-0, played in yellow shirts, Walshie and Hales up front. Ipswich were top of 1st Division i think and we were struggling in the 2nd Division but it was a very good effort by the team that day. Saying that it could have been Harlow away which was the same season i think.
  • Options
    April 1976 last game of the 75/76 season home to Bolton. Lost 4-0! I knew then things weren't going to be easy. Killer needed 2 goals to hit 30 league goals for season and pick up a £10K prize. Bolton needed to win and WBA to lose (which they didn't) to go up. Sunny spring afternoon, my Dad, Grandad (still going strong at 99) and I sat in the old grandstand.

Help me out here, I seemed to have some memory of a person in a huge inflatable costume on the pitch at half time being knocked to the ground by a pitch invader from the covered end. All very "It's a Knockout". Am I making this up or does anybody remember this? Perhaps the pitch invader is now a CL member? Maybe you were wearing the inflatable costume. Also remember fights breaking out on the east terrace as fans made their way from either end during the second half. Don't remember much about the game, but I was hooked.
  • Options
    Had to look at the programmes to check. We beat Huddersfield 2-1 near the start of the 95/96 season, was 8 at the time.

Can't remember much at all, just have memories of the first few games I went to merged into one. The old tiny club shop, always sat in the East Stand, went up on the coach with my dad. I liked Bradley Allen and thought we should sign Jason Lee (grandad was a Forest fan, so probably found that funny). Probably because I had seen them saw, so at that age you think that means they're a good player.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Bermuda_red[/cite]April 1976 last game of the 75/76 season home to Bolton. Lost 4-0! I knew then things weren't going to be easy. Killer needed 2 goals to hit 30 league goals for season and pick up a £10K prize. Bolton needed to win and WBA to lose (which they didn't) to go up. Sunny spring afternoon, my Dad, Grandad (still going strong at 99) and I sat in the old grandstand.

Help me out here, I seemed to have some memory of a person in a huge inflatable costume on the pitch at half time being knocked to the ground by a pitch invader from the covered end. All very "It's a Knockout". Am I making this up or does anybody remember this? Perhaps the pitch invader is now a CL member? Maybe you were wearing the inflatable costume. Also remember fights breaking out on the east terrace as fans made their way from either end during the second half. Don't remember much about the game, but I was hooked.

I remember that, don't recall which game it was though. I remember him desperately trying to get back on his feet and rolling around helplessly. And Killer shaved his beard off for the game.
  • Options
    SE9SE9
    edited July 2010
    quote# 118
    The day after my 9th birthday, dad said we were going over to visit some realatives. Got to there house edd and dad went of talking in the kitchen. Edd came back in with a massive cafc tankard filled with ribena for me. Said he was taking me and dad for a drive. After 40 mins of ducking down side roads and shortcuts we made it from rochester way to somewhere i'd never been I could see a weird bright white light in the sky and lots of men walking around and a really strong smell of hotdogs. Edd then told me we were going to my first charlton match and its against liverpool! We sat in the arther waite stand and edd gave me some team photographs and 2 of my fav players bob bolder and rob lee. Liverpool were wearing green and we had admiral red shirts with the woolwich on the front. We got absoulty tonked 4 0. Any normal kid this would have triggerd a love for liverpool but not for me. About 10 mins from the end we walked to the stand behind the goal with the scoreboard with the cannon that would shoot out the goal scorers names. It was terracing and we were down the front. Grobbellar went to take a goal kick and I screamed in my pre puberity high pitch voice 'oi!!!!' He looked round and gave me a wink. Will never forget the smell of the hotdogs the smell of the pitch and realising that I had just started an obbesion and passion our team our charlton,

This was the 1st CAFC game I went to. I was there supporting Liverpool at the time!!! Ronnie Rosenthal scored 3 that day.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Bermuda_red[/cite]April 1976 last game of the 75/76 season home to Bolton. Lost 4-0! I knew then things weren't going to be easy. Killer needed 2 goals to hit 30 league goals for season and pick up a £10K prize. Bolton needed to win and WBA to lose (which they didn't) to go up. Sunny spring afternoon, my Dad, Grandad (still going strong at 99) and I sat in the old grandstand.

That was Trev Lee who knocked the inflatable over at half time. I was standing with him and a few others and we pissed ourselves when he went legging it out to the centre circle. For some reason I thought he'd done it before the match but could well have been half time. I posted about it on here before but couldn't remember the game.

Found it...... http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=9200
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Having supported Charlton from abroad for 7 years, with only the saturday results on BBC, the sunday paper and the occasional echo (particularly the
    7-6 vs Huddersfield) to keep my faith alive, it wasn't until nov 1960 that I headed for Charlton for the first time.
    Train from Charing X was the first curiosity. Lined benches with doors at every end !! Some fans singing "who-do-we-appre-ce-ate" bode well for the game
    against Southampton. Main (West) Stand, 3 bob, 15K, no segregation, Saints fans not that many. Was surprised how players didn't seem affected by rain
    and very muddy conditions. Would've been called off on the continent. Disappointed by the support limited to the " who-do-we.." Came to watch my hero
    Johnny Summers - had an off day. We lost 3-1
    That was the first of 7 consecutive Charlton losses of the games I had chosen to attend, the best one however being the 3-2 loss against an awesome Spurs
    for the Cup, when we really gave them a fight.
  • Options
    Charlton 1 - 1 Port Vale 93/94 or 94/95 i remember their keeper Musselwhite having a blinder.
  • Options
    No idea who we were playing but 2 of my favourite players were in the team, Billy Bonds and Alan Campbell
  • Options
    1962 or 63 old Second Division. Pretty sure that Charlton won 1-0, but it might have been 0 - 0! Not sure about the opposition, but Middlesbrough seems familiar? I'm certain that Gordon Jago went off injured and Charlton ended up with ten men. Anyone know a site where you can check these sort of things? There's a brilliant one for West Ham listing line-ups, crowd, etc..
  • Options
    I was 3, not much chance of remembering!
  • Options
    PORTSMOUTH at s****thurst park lost 2-1 john pearson scored ,when he scored i cried coz the noise frightened me!! now i like it as noisey as possible!!
  • Options
    EdFirmani, i've found your game. Oct 14, 1961 Charlton v Middlesboro 1-0 (Dennis Edwards 86th). Jago injured after 15 min, kick in the face.
    Came back after 40 mins, stitched. Att. 12,156.
  • Options
    Charlton v Bolton Wanderers , Aug 1966, 0-1. First home game of the season, just after the 66 World Cup. Stood on the fence between the Covered end & halfway line. Can't remember much about the game, the colour & noise of the crowd are the biggest memory, plus the rosette sellers as you turned the corner into Floyd Road from the station. Floyd Road was a real buzz of activity. Billy Bonds, Alan Campbell, Keith Peacock, Len Glover, Ron Saunders....the players who stood out at that time.
  • Options
    Charlton 4 Bristol Rovers 0. Year 1980.Went on to get relegated that year.Stood on the giant East Terrace.Love at first sight.Impressed by Paddy Powell and Robbo.(Martin)Watched hundreds of matches since but Ill always remember my first Charlton match.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: adrian[/cite]EdFirmani, i've found your game. Oct 14, 1961 Charlton v Middlesboro 1-0 (Dennis Edwards 86th). Jago injured after 15 min, kick in the face.
    Came back after 40 mins, stitched. Att. 12,156.[/quote]

Adrian - thanks for that - fantastic!! How did you find it? I can't believe that it was 5 days before my 8th birthday and I went with the "big boys" from Vanguard Street. They were 3 years older than me!!!! Can you imagine that happening nowadays?