Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your first ever match - Memories

Comments

• Options
    1977 Can't remember who against but my mum took me and all I remember was my mother getting a clip round the lugs from a copper who was trying to clout some kid missed him and walloped my mum. I also remember the mouthful he got from her as well very scary for me and him.

The next game I do remember was against West Ham same season and the old man took me and we went in the away end by mistake and Hales scored I cheered and virtually all the West hma fans turned to see what 'erbert was bravely cheering - the old man was livid. To be fair to the Hammers fans they all pissed themselves laughing.
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    Newcastle at home in 78. Won 4-1
  • Options
    spuds at home 77 won 4-1
  • Options
    Last game of the season 1957-58

Chalton 3 - 4 Blackburn

Crowd 56,000

We had to win or draw for promotion, they had to win for promotion!
  • Options
    aginst mbro at upton park 0 v 0 think either 91 or 92
  • Options
    home to brentford league cup 80/81 season 5-0 win paul walsh hattrick killer with the other 2
  • Options
    Charlton 3 - 2 Everton

Selhurst Park 1986

I'd just had my seventh Birthday so vaguely remember it, think my highlight of the game was Kevin Sheedy falling over as he went to take a free kick (not us beating one of the top teams in the country or Jim Melrose's hattrick!).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]Charlton 3 - 2 Everton

Selhurst Park 1986

I'd just had my seventh Birthday so vaguely remember it, think my highlight of the game was Kevin Sheedy falling over as he went to take a free kick (not us beating one of the top teams in the country or Jim Melrose's hattrick!).

think i was a ballboy for that one
  • Options
    Frustratingly I don't remember. Early 70s when we were in div 3. Think we won, and I commented afterwards that our goalie was good -it may have been Charlie Wright, as my Dad thought he was rubbish!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chester City at the Valley 1980 3rd Division

Charlton won 1-0 Can't remember who scored as I was only 6 at the time!!!!!

Bl@@dy hell 27 years now.............God I feel old!!
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Have no idea what season it was but it was at the Priestfield stadium Gillingham & Charlton won it 1-0 & a certain Mr Peacock scored the only goal for the addicks..!

1974/5 promtion season. 89 min Powell shot thundered off the bar and Peacock headed the rebound in.

My first game was v QPR 1968 see link to earlier thread

Charlton V QPR 1968
  • Options
    1958 with my Mother,I was later born in 1959.
    I have no recollection of the game whatso'ever.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rodex[/cite]1958 with my Mother,I was later born in 1959.
    I have no recollection of the game whatso'ever.

Lol. Ah now if you talking "in womb experiences", mine was probably around the same time.
  • Options
    3.00pm ?
  • Options
    Sunderland at home in November 1975. Lost 2-1. Hales scored for us and then got sent off. My Dad took me after a full year of me begging to go to a live game. The 1974 World Cup got me smitten with the beautiful game. It was all Johan Cryuff's fault!

My Dad used to go until us kids came along, which coincided with us dropping to the 3rd Div, but he finally gave in after we got promoted in 74/75. We never looked back after then and my brother followed 2 years later and then eventually my Mum.

We stood on the South Terrace and I remember a lot of Sunderland fans being there. Lots of noise and people, a lot of grown-ups I remember. As an 8-year old you weren't ever in the company of that many adults, at least I wasn't! The crowd was 22,000.

Sunderland were top and still had a lot of their '73 Cup winners playing - Porterfield, Pop Robson, Montgomery, Kerr.

We had 11 players, who I don't even have to look up to know who they were: Tutt, Penfold, Warman, Giles, Young, Bowman, Peacock, Hunt, Powel, Flanagan, Hales.

Happy days.
  • Options
    The Jimmy Seed did go up in the summer of 1981 Inspector.

Someone mentioned the Spurs 4-1 game. There was definitely more than 32,000 in the ground that night. I stood on the East Terrace for that and remember Spurs fans running through it brandishing knives. I was so f**kin scared.

That was a huge win though and I remember waking up and seeing the report on the back pages of the newspapers - something that never happened in those days (who am I kidding, these too!)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]spuds at home 77 won 4-1

That was the infamous "F Troop" game which featured in a documentary about hooliganism. Spurs took over the covered end and Millwalls F Troop (a small group of thugs) decided to attack the Spurs fans with Charlton fans on the east terrace hurling bricks from some building work into the fray. Mike (Flash) Flanagan scored a hat trick. It was one of those sort of games. It was great to be there but you hoped you got out alive!!
  • Options
    Late 80's at Selhurst against Spurs. We lost 2 nil. The overall memory I have of that game was the Spurs winger called Danny Thomas (I think that was his name). He was amazing. Unfortunately, he badly broke his leg I believe soon after and his career was ended.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Norwich at "home" the season we went down (I *think*). Stood on the Arthur Wait.

Garth Crooks put us in front, but we ended up losing 1-2.

That Spurs game at The Valley mentioned above sounds one hell of a lot more exciting both on and off the pitch!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]

That was the infamous "F Troop" game which featured in a documentary about hooliganism. Spurs took over the covered end and Millwalls F Troop (a small group of thugs) decided to attack the Spurs fans with Charlton fans on the east terrace hurling bricks from some building work into the fray. Mike (Flash) Flanagan scored a hat trick. It was one of those sort of games. It was great to be there but you hoped you got out alive!!

The big East Terrace seemed jam packed from our normal place about two thirds up overlooking the halfway line.
    Not only were Spurs top (relegated the previous season and on their way to an instant return to the 1st Division) but Mike Flanagan had come through the Spurs ranks and took great delight in bagging his hatrick.

It's strange how players always seem to score against their old clubs.......(!)

Hugh McAuley scored our other goal - always an unsung grafting winger, not the most talented and often the butt of the crowd's derision. Newcastle had 'Super Mac' (Malcolm McDonald) and as McAuley wasn't quite in his league, he was affectionately known as 'Plastic Mac' at The Valley!

I've got a feeling Steve Gritt made his debut for us that day - and I think playing for Spurs in the number 8 shirt was the greatly under-rated Martin Robinson, who proved a useful goalscorer for us over a number of seasons subsequently.
  • Options
    My earliest memory of a game was either Palace at home in the cup, a 0-0 draw in the late 60's or a 0-1 home defeat by Birmingham with Hateley having a penalty saved by Burns in front of me at the front of the covered end.
    As said before, my Mum would take me up their to visit my Dad in the early 60's after half time as he was often on ground duty, working out of Shooters Hill nick for The Met. We lived down Broad Walk in a Police House at the time.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

The big East Terrace seemed jam packed from our normal place about two thirds up overlooking the halfway line.
    Not only were Spurs top (relegated the previous season and on their way to an instant return to the 1st Division) but Mike Flanagan had come through the Spurs ranks and took great delight in bagging his hatrick.

Hugh McAuley scored our other goal - always an unsung grafting winger, not the most talented and often the butt of the crowd's derision. Newcastle had 'Super Mac' (Malcolm McDonald) and as McAuley wasn't quite in his league, he was affectionately known as 'Plastic Mac' at The Valley!

I've got a feeling Steve Gritt made his debut for us that day - and I think playing for Spurs in the number 8 shirt was the greatly under-rated Martin Robinson, who proved a useful goalscorer for us over a number of seasons subsequently.

and a certain Mr Peter Taylor scored for Spurs that day.
  • Options
    Absolutely no idea. Some time in the late seventies at the Valley, aged 4 or 5 I think, perched on a crash barrier on the East Terrace.
  • Options
    79, 5 years old with my brother who was 15 and a skin at the time, He's npw a Millwall supporter, no idea who we played but I was in the east terrace with him and Nicky O'Shea. Loved the atmosphere
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

and a certain Mr Peter Taylor scored for Spurs that day.

That was also sadly the game when young Mark Penfold had his leg badly broken - and career finished - in a strong challenge by Don McAllister, who signed for us a few years later. I could never take to him as one of ours after that, though. Heard the break from halfway up the East Terrace. Doubly sad as Penfold had had a trial with Man U not long before but turned down a move as he preferred to play regularly at Charlton - just shows you never know how things might turn out.
  • Options
    Tranmere at home mid 90's would be mine. Can't remember the score, just that I sat in the East with my dad.
  • Options
    This is a thread for showing one's age!

Bristol City at home April 1968 lost 2-1 Harry Gregory scored.
  • Options
    Was very sad about Mark Penfold.

Martin Robinson did play for Spurs that day in 1977 alongside Terry Naylor and Don McAllister, who each played for us plus a certain Glen Hoddle and Peter Taylor. Taylor was good but not as good as Hugh McAuley!
  • Options
    "Plastic Mac! Plastic Mac.....! Whatever happened to McAuley - did he end up playing for Carlisle or someone?

I remember Mark Penfold getting his leg broken but for some reason, didn't associate it with the Spurs match.

Terry Naylor was great for us at full back. Even though he was by then over 30, he still showed quality and top flight class. Don McAllister had a couple of seasons with us early 80's - I'm sure I saw him score in a 3-3 draw away at Grimsby.

Weegie, I had no idea it was McAllister who had finished Penfold's career. I remember seeing Penfold make his debut for us as a 16 year old, home to Orient, I believe?