Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• imho, imo is enough. Why would you have to clarify that you're being honest on this occasion? Do you lie when you use imo sometimes then?
  • imho, imo is enough. Why would you have to clarify that you're being honest on this occasion? Do you lie when you use imo sometimes then?

Isn't the 'h' Humble rather than Honest?

• LenGlover said:

imho, imo is enough. Why would you have to clarify that you're being honest on this occasion? Do you lie when you use imo sometimes then?

really? i always assumed it was honest.

You may well be right, either way the 'h' is a waste of valuable keyboard finger energy imo.
  • LenGlover said:

imho, imo is enough. Why would you have to clarify that you're being honest on this occasion? Do you lie when you use imo sometimes then?

I think it depends on whether you are being humble or honest.
    As Curbs would say p'raps but not according to this:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=imho meaning
  • LenGlover said:

or if you are talking about the International Medical Health Organization.
  • LenGlover said:

WHO?
  • When people try and milk you're quite hilarious anecdotes for a cheap laugh themselves.

:wink:

!!!!!!!!!!
    Sort it out son before Leroy Ambrose spots it.
  • Riviera said:

When people try and milk you're quite hilarious anecdotes for a cheap laugh themselves.

:wink:

!!!!!!!!!!
    Sort it out son before Leroy Ambrose spots it.
    Bloody students
  • LenGlover said:

Using z instead of s
  • Sponsored links:

• PL54 said:

LenGlover said:

Using z instead of s
    But it's an american organisation so didn't feel the need to change the z.
  • The news that One Direction are losing a member of the band, heartbreaking... Its up there alongside when the Beatles and Take That broke up...

Nah only jokin' just messing with ya
  • Uptight people who take life far too seriously.
  • People in huge corporations who really don't deserve to be in the post they are,
  • Trolls.

and we all know who you're talking about..
  • Commentators who insist on referring to Man City's Navas as "Hey Zeuss" Navas every time he touches the ball. It's Jesus you twonks and if you don't know how to pronounce it in an English commentary then nip into church on your way to "Super Sunday" and you may find out. And why do you never refer to Milner as "Hay Mees" Milner? Or Hart as plain old Joe Hart? It's only the foreign ones whose first names are chucked around and mispronounced by those dingbats.
  • One of my colleagues in New York was a Jesus. He pronounced it Hey Zeuss.
  • He is allowed to pronounce it any way he likes. Its commentators on British TV trying to be clever that annoys me! navas himself may do the same and I'll even grant you that David Silva may not pronounce his name in the same way as David Beckham! Doesn't mean I want some Sky Sports Berk trying to show off every 5 minutes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Political double standards.
  • He is allowed to pronounce it any way he likes. Its commentators on British TV trying to be clever that annoys me! navas himself may do the same and I'll even grant you that David Silva may not pronounce his name in the same way as David Beckham! Doesn't mean I want some Sky Sports Berk trying to show off every 5 minutes.

If you met Jesus Navas, would you say "Hi Jeezus" ?

If you did, and he corrected your pronunciation, what would you do?
  • Nope. I don't reckon I would recognise him. If he was introduced to me as Hey Zeuss then I'd assume that was his name. Why wouldn't i?
  • So then if you were to talk about him to someone else, you would call him "Hey Zeus"...?
  • edited March 2015
    Apple - when I put my phone into Silent mode, that's exactly what I want it to be - silent.

I don't want Siri piping up

I don't want the Google microphone thingy to start bleeping

I don't want Facebook videos to start playing sound as I'm scrolling down

I don't want Vine videos playing sound when on Twitter

If these things are making noise, that's the opposite of silence. Silent mode should mean the speaker on my phone does not make a single sound.
  • IA said:

So then if you were to talk about him to someone else, you would call him "Hey Zeus"...?

Yes. I wouldn't know any better, would I? (But if I was reading out his name to a bunch of English speakers off a team sheet I would probably say Jesus...wouldn't you?)
  • Commentators who insist on referring to Man City's Navas as "Hey Zeuss" Navas every time he touches the ball. It's Jesus you twonks and if you don't know how to pronounce it in an English commentary then nip into church on your way to "Super Sunday" and you may find out. And why do you never refer to Milner as "Hay Mees" Milner? Or Hart as plain old Joe Hart? It's only the foreign ones whose first names are chucked around and mispronounced by those dingbats.

Commentators who insist on referring to Man City's Navas as "Hey Zeuss" Navas every time he touches the ball. It's Jesus you twonks and if you don't know how to pronounce it in an English commentary then nip into church on your way to "Super Sunday" and you may find out. And why do you never refer to Milner as "Hay Mees" Milner? Or Hart as plain old Joe Hart? It's only the foreign ones whose first names are chucked around and mispronounced by those dingbats.

To be fair to commentators I believe it's paranoia about offending Christians. Supposedly you're not allowed to call yourself 'Jesus' and pronounce it that way.
  • IA said:

So then if you were to talk about him to someone else, you would call him "Hey Zeus"...?

Yes. I wouldn't know any better, would I? (But if I was reading out his name to a bunch of English speakers off a team sheet I would probably say Jesus...wouldn't you?)
    My point is this: If you don't know how to pronounce someone's name, it's not a problem to get it wrong when reading from a sheet. However, once you do know the way he pronounces his name, it would be weird to pronounce it any other way. The commentators are far more likely to know, as they're likely to meet and interview these players,or talk to other commentators/journalists from the player's country.

I don't think it's about "showing off". No one is going to be impressed by how you or I say 'James Rodriguez'. It's just about knowing how the person pronounces the name and repeating that.
  • There's no clear convention on how to say names of those where their native pronunciation differs from how the English would pronounce it. If there is no anglicised version of the name, such as Jose (which again differs depending on if your country pronounces it Hosay or Josay) then pundits generally pronounce these as the person himself says it. If there is an anglicised version then it usually varies. Jesus has been Anglicised but it isn't actually very common to call anyone apart from Jesus Christ Jesus when pronounced the anglicised way. Most notable people called Jesus excepting Christ are from Latin countries and so I would agree that 'Hey-zeus' is probably more conventional. The other thing is when players from countries that don't follow the our system of 'first-name family-name'. Particularly notable when pundits would alternate between Park Ji-Sung and Ji-Sung Park like the spanners they are.

What annoys me is why we went from Ivory Coast to Cote D'Ivoire when it is displayed on telly yet the same isn't done for the other countries that aren't officially known as what the English call them (Switzerland, Japan, Spain, Italy, Germany to name a few).
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!